PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes war should fuel Ferrari development - Alonso

vcs316
26th May 2014, 11:55
Fernando Alonso has called on Ferrari to step up its development push to put itself in a position to capitalise on the simmering war at Mercedes.

The title fight took a new twist in Monaco, with the relationship between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton reaching a critical point for the first time. Alonso fell out with Hamilton during the pair's time together at McLaren in 2007, a feud which ultimately left the door open for Kimi Raikkonen to snatch the title from under their noses.

Alonso was a distant fourth in Monaco but he thinks Ferrari could put themselves in a position to capitilise if it takes a big step forward soon.

"I think we are a little bit too far away in the championship battle with them," Alonso said. "We would like to be a little bit closer to challenging them for victories or a little bit closer in the points. I think for us they are so much in front we only can see this battle and this relationship from far, from the outside, it's not really making any difference to us in this moment.

"But if we get into a position to fight for victories or to fight for the championship that will be interesting, if we are in that position and they are struggling with the relationship."

Alonso thinks it is perfectly natural to see the Mercedes duo at odds this season.

"I think it is normal with sport and with Formula One, there's a lot of pressure and a lot of media attention, you should beat your team-mate to get good respect. If you put a championship battle in that garage then things become tense and more public, even sometimes exaggerated.

"I'm sure they have up and downs throughout the year but things get exaggerated. I hope they have a clean championship both and whoever wins is hopefully the best of the two and the one who deserves it more."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

steelstallions
26th May 2014, 18:11
With the problem being an engine that cannot be worked on, i really cannot think of any development that will make up that difference. *EDIT* i don't think the feud is anything Mercedes need worry about. They could just sack Lewis and have a more level headed team mate for Rosberg, the performance of that car is that much in front of field!

**Although it did give me a chuckle, the edited part was a bit too descriptive. We try to keep Scuderia.net family friendly, thanks.**

anacleto
26th May 2014, 22:03
With the problem being an engine that cannot be worked on, i really cannot think of any development that will make up that difference. *EDIT* i don't think the feud is anything Mercedes need worry about. They could just sack Lewis and have a more level headed team mate for Rosberg, the performance of that car is that much in front of field!

**Although it did give me a chuckle, the edited part was a bit too descriptive. We try to keep Scuderia.net family friendly, thanks.**

With 4 wins , 2nd in Monaco and 118 points how much more level headed can he get? Nico is chasing after Lewis a champion driver. All good for results @ Merc.

Nero Horse
26th May 2014, 22:57
With the problem being an engine that cannot be worked on, i really cannot think of any development that will make up that difference.

We can work on the engine and James Allison just said a few days ago that they're gonna bring updates on the engine.

Read this>>> http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/32182-Ferrari-poised-to-introduce-F1-engine-boost-at-Canadian-Grand-Prix

Hornet
27th May 2014, 04:35
With 4 wins , 2nd in Monaco and 118 points how much more level headed can he get? Nico is chasing after Lewis a champion driver. All good for results @ Merc.

You mean Lewis was being level headed? I think he showed the opposite in Monaco. He said before the race that he will take a page out of Senna's book or something like that, after being unhappy with qualifying. But instead, all we got during the race was Lewis complaining on the radio and blaming the team. That isn't a page out of Senna's book, that's a page out of Lewis book :-G

steelstallions
27th May 2014, 06:13
We can work on the engine and James Allison just said a few days ago that they're gonna bring updates on the engine.

Read this>>> http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/showthread.php/32182-Ferrari-poised-to-introduce-F1-engine-boost-at-Canadian-Grand-Prix

I want to believe, but the first thing your link states is my point of view
Ferrari technical director James Allison said: "On the engine side, the only changes that you are allowed to make to hardware are for reliability so there is no opportunity for performance there.

Meaning the software updates are in competition with all the other teams who can also do software updates. Unless the Mercedes engine cannot be pushed harder because of its design, we will not catch up until the engine itself can be modified and improved.

As for the statement on Nico and Lewis, HORNET said what i was going to say :thumb

anacleto
27th May 2014, 09:29
You mean Lewis was being level headed? I think he showed the opposite in Monaco. He said before the race that he will take a page out of Senna's book or something like that, after being unhappy with qualifying. But instead, all we got during the race was Lewis complaining on the radio and blaming the team. That isn't a page out of Senna's book, that's a page out of Lewis book :-G

Well Senna sure had a few words to say about Prost and a lot of rules he didn't agree with. Anyway Lewis should sing a few bars of "O solo mio" on the radio and let it go at that. But all in all he is for sure a great F1 driver, full of ambition. He want's to be #1. Every drivers goal. He should just take note as to how calm and reserved Vettel is over at Red Bull watching his teamate beat the hell out of him!

windwaves
28th May 2014, 03:18
nice parallel with the situation at RB. It is truly remarkable how Vettel seems to be dealing with his situation.

Rishu
28th May 2014, 04:43
nice parallel with the situation at RB. It is truly remarkable how Vettel seems to be dealing with his situation.

Tough for a guy who is supposedly best qualifier in the world & ranked 8th in BBC's all time F1 drivers list ahead of Niki lauda, Gilles Villenueve, Fernando Alonso & Lewis Hamilton. Having said that, he is looking good with 4 titles when he hasn't even reached his peak (29-32)