PDA

View Full Version : Mattiacci wants improved Ferrari F1 team off-track

vcs316
27th May 2014, 03:47
Marco Mattiacci says he wants to improve Ferrari off the track in order to help increase performance on it.

The new team principal has been in the job for three races having replaced Stefano Domenicali just prior to the Chinese Grand Prix. In that time, Mattiacci says he has been looking at where he needs to make immediate changes but stressed the organisational side of Ferrari needs to progress if the team wants to be challenging for championships again in the future.

“At the moment within the last six weeks we did a very thorough assessment about which are the opportunities to improve in the short term and which are the areas that deserve a medium or long-term approach in order to bring back Ferrari to the highest competitive level,” Mattiacci said.

“For obvious reasons I'm not going to disclose these publically about which are the areas that we need to work, but it's clear I think that we need to make some action towards improving the working methodology of the whole organisation to make the Scuderia faster not only on track but in also in terms of the decisional process. That's what I can anticipate.”

And Mattiacci said he was willing to bring in new personnel from outside the team but stressed his approach was no different from any of Ferrari's rivals.

“We have a lot of assets, we have a lot of good people and I believe that if in the market there are people that can bring a strong added value to the team we will definitely go for it. There is no entity that can stay the same, we need to improve. To make organisational changes, to bring people in from outside, that's normal. Everyone is doing this, it's not only Ferrari.”

Fernando Alonso finished fourth in the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday - over 20 seconds behind third-placed Daniel Ricciardo - while Kimi Raikkonen failed to score after picking up a puncture and colliding with Kevin Magnussen.

REDARMYSOJA
27th May 2014, 04:10
I have faith in Marco Mattiacci. I think he's is not the Luca puppet or temp replacement some say he is. He's supposedly very good at finding the right people and getting the best from them. Seems he's doing it now, not making hasty decisions, just studying closely to make the right decision. I think before it's all over, this is going to be a good move by Ferrari.

gazoz
27th May 2014, 09:14
I have faith in Marco Mattiacci. I think he's is not the Luca puppet or temp replacement some say he is. He's supposedly very good at finding the right people and getting the best from them. Seems he's doing it now, not making hasty decisions, just studying closely to make the right decision. I think before it's all over, this is going to be a good move by Ferrari.
Agreed

Alessandra
27th May 2014, 14:41
Marco Mattiacci says he wants to improve Ferrari off the track in order to help increase performance on it. ..........

I also think there's reason to be optimistic with this.
I did have doubts about Matticcci's suitability because he has no construction/ design qualifications or experience so far as I’m aware.
But, and I’ll probably get a beating up over this but here goes, it appears to me that Ferrari F1 has had for some time a rather outdated attitude to its team management, rooted in the assumption that that it’s the best team in the sport and its ways of working are sacrosanct and no-one can gainsay those at the top.
No one person is to blame, perhaps, but let’s see what a bit of democratisation of the system does for its future success – if that’s what Mattiacci’s offering. He may not put it in quite those terms perhaps!

REDARMYSOJA
27th May 2014, 14:48
I did have doubts about Matticcci's suitability because he has no construction/ design qualifications or experience so far as I’m aware.

Neither did Jean Todt.

Samcar222
27th May 2014, 18:03
I heard Mattiacci speak at a Ferrari NA venue at this past January's Daytona 24 Hour; he seemed like a very smart guy - quiet spoken, but very intelligent. Watching his responses in the teams' meeting reaffirms my beliefs. I think he is the man for the job, a fresh brain with no F1 experience could be a good thing. Lack of complacency in terms of politics in F1 could be good too, IMO. It's all about the technical people under him, his job is to manage the team, not draw the car.