PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen struggles at Ferrari no surprise for Massa

vcs316
29th May 2014, 03:13
Felipe Massa says he is not surprised Kimi Raikkonen has struggled so much in 2014. The Brazilian is well placed to comment, having partnered both Finn Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso at different times at Ferrari.

Massa's first Ferrari teammate, however, was his friend Michael Schumacher, who the now Williams driver said was "amazing". "Fernando and Michael are on the same level," he told Germany's Auto Bild. "In the race maybe even Fernando sees things more clearly."

However, many pundits expected Raikkonen - Ferrari's last world champion - to give Spaniard Alonso a hard time when he returned in 2014 to replace Massa. But Massa said: "It (Raikkonen's struggle) is no surprise to me. To beat Fernando, your car has to be perfectly suited to your style, because if everything is not 100 per cent right, it is impossible to beat him."

Indeed, Raikkonen has struggled with Maranello's latest F14-T car, but Massa said: "Even if everything is perfect, Fernando is still hard to beat." In 2007, the year Raikkonen won his title, Massa was the occupant of the sister red car. "He finished as world champion," Massa said, "but unfortunately we had an agreement in our team that Monza would decide who is number 1. I was ahead until there, but I had a problem with my car." (GMM)

sachin
29th May 2014, 09:25
But he didnt crash three times at the same corner? :Hmm

ManFromMilan
29th May 2014, 09:38

That's a low blow!

theforce
29th May 2014, 11:45
This is the full report:

Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle (http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/160611.html?CMP=chrome)

Felipe Massa says it is no surprise to see Fernando Alonso getting the better of Kimi Raikkonen this year at Ferrari.

Massa has been team-mate to both Ferrari drivers and was replaced by Raikkonen over the winter before heading to Williams. Alonso has had the upper hand so far this year at Ferrari, scoring 61 points to Raikkonen's 17, and Massa says that is exactly what he would have predicted.

"The difference between Fernando and Kimi, for me, is not a surprise - I expected it," he said. "Fernando has built the team around him, but also the way he is driving, he is a very strong driver and he managed to put everything on his side as well."

Massa said Raikkonen's only hope is to be at the top of his game all of the time.

"I think to be better than him you have to be 100% and perfect with the car, and Kimi is maybe not 100% ready and perfect with the car. Fernando has also the team for him, so it's not easy."

However, after running third in Monaco until he was hit by Max Chilton, Raikkonen says Ferrari is working hard on getting better results.

"Obviously we need to improve in many areas and we have done a lot of things in many areas to improve already," he said. "We know what we have to do, but those things will not be easy and it just takes time.

We are going forward all the time, but other teams are doing the same also. We know where the weaknesses are, but if solving those was easy everybody would have fast cars. We need to keep working and I'm sure we can get the results we are supposed to get.

"With the feelings we have now, once we get a good feeling on things I'm sure it will be better and we will get the results. We have to keep fighting and be a bit more lucky in the future."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/160611.html#S1cV5U9UxcoCDfMJ.99

What is Massa's excuse for scoring 18 points to Bottas's 34 so far in 2014? Even after getting the boot, he is giving us excuses for why Fernando wiped the absolute track with him.

Kiwi Nick
29th May 2014, 13:04
This is the full report:

[B]Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle (http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/160611.html?CMP=chrome)[/B

What is Massa's excuse for scoring 18 points to Bottas's 34 so far in 2014? Even after getting the boot, he is giving us excuses for why Fernando wiped the absolute track with him.

+1:thumb

windwaves
29th May 2014, 13:13
This is the full report:

Massa not surprised by Raikkonen's struggle (http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/160611.html?CMP=chrome)

yep, simply put. Undisputable facts.

NickEice
29th May 2014, 13:19
Getting run into by Kobayashi, a 60 second pit stop, and a very ill timed safety car.

At least 20 points there left on the table.

fratelliferrari
29th May 2014, 15:12
Getting run into by Kobayashi, a 60 second pit stop, and a very ill timed safety car.

Your are totally right NickEice :thumb Sadly, it seems like some people here at TSN get every opportunity to bash Massa, but I still can't get why :roll

Nero Horse
29th May 2014, 15:54
Felipe should concentrate on his own stuff really. Comments like that come off as sour grapes.

Today he had this to say about his move to Williams:
“It was absolutely the right move,”. “Looking back now, I am even glad that Ferrari did not want me because it opened the way for coming to Williams.” :roll

Oh Felipe, just don't... :-!

I have the utmost respect for him, but these comments he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's drivers are getting rather annoying indeed. I can understand that he's still bitter and hurt because Ferrari chose to hire Kimi, but such comments are really coming off as nothing more than sour grapes. It's time to let it go Felipe, remember all the good times you had at Ferrari and please just mind your own business at Williams, and instead of throwing these jibes at Ferrari concentrate on beating Bottas, cause by the looks of things it's not going to be easy.

NickEice
29th May 2014, 16:06
And how else should he answer the question "Was it the right move to join Williams?"

The journalists that cover F1 are pathetic. I can't think of any sport in America that has journalists that make up these stories and misleading headlines. Perhaps it's a European thing. The headlines they construct are often not the true meaning of the drivers words.

I tend not to read/believe anything unless I hear the audio from the drivers mouth.

Hornet
29th May 2014, 17:31
Agreed, there's only one way for Massa to answer that question, which is to speak highly of his current team. He can't exactly say it blows driving for Williams, he's going to get reprimanded by the team.

wisepie
29th May 2014, 17:39
Whatever Felipe comes out with will usually be taken out of context and he is being quite honest in his views, I don't sense bitterness but he probably did do the right thing moving to Williams for his own motivation. The fact that he has less points than Bottas is due to 2 non-points finishes through no fault of his own.:-E

Greig
29th May 2014, 18:06
Interesting about the deal within the team at Monza 07 never knew that, not quite sure why his words have gotten people all angry but I guess old habits die hard.

REDARMYSOJA
29th May 2014, 18:32
Kimi throws in the towel...

“We [Ferrari] want to be ahead, but my challenge on the championship seems to be over for the season,” added Raikkone

LINK>>Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen admits 2014 F1 title chance ‘seems to be over’ (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140529/F1/140529802?utm_source=DailyDrive20140529&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article8&utm_content=20140529-Ferrari-percent27s-Kimi-Raikkonen-admits-2014-F1-title-chance--percent27seems-to-be-over-percent27&utm_campaign=awdailydrive)

Giallo 550
29th May 2014, 19:58

Getting taken out during qualifying in Monaco didn't help either. I'm convinced that half of the people who question his competence compared to Bottas's haven't even been watching this season. :roll

Giallo 550
29th May 2014, 19:59

I'm sure it's his fault that his suspension broke too.

Suzie
29th May 2014, 20:15
Getting taken out during qualifying in Monaco didn't help either. I'm convinced that half of the people who question his competence compared to Bottas's haven't even been watching this season. :roll

Because unfortunately people can't seem to stop themselves from tearing Massa to shreds, whether he drives for Ferrari or not.
He is perfectly entitled to his honest opinion on Ferrari and quite honestly I agree with what he said about Williams being the right place for him now.

superwonderboy
29th May 2014, 20:33
let's not get side tracked, both our driver's are more than capable of winning world championships, so let's give them our 100% support.

Nero Horse
29th May 2014, 21:41
Like I said, I have the utmost respect for Massa, just like I do for every other Ferrari driver and I certainly don't want to "tear Massa to shreds", but I just have a problem with these comments that he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's current drivers. I think he should just mind his own business at Williams and let the bygones be bygones. Oh and I also don't question Massa's competence compared to Bottas, in case some were thinking that...all I said was that "he should concentrate on beating Bottas, because it's not going to be easy" and that certainly doesn't mean that I'm questioning Felipe's competence. I have always liked Felipe and I still do, and I supported him 100% when he was a Ferrari driver, but I just think that he shouldn't make such comments and insinuations about Ferrari or Ferrari's current drivers, that's not a very nice thing to do, especially considering how many years Ferrari stood by him during his most difficult times. Anyway, these are just my opinions and my intention is not to ruffle any feathers here lol. ;-)

abbottcostello
29th May 2014, 21:56
Like I said, I have the utmost respect for Massa, just like I do for every other Ferrari driver and I certainly don't want to "tear Massa to shreds", but I just have a problem with these comments that he's making about Ferrari and Ferrari's current drivers. I think he should just mind his own business at Williams and let the bygones be bygones. Oh and I also don't question Massa's competence compared to Bottas, in case some were thinking that...all I said was that "he should concentrate on beating Bottas, because it's not going to be easy" and that certainly doesn't mean that I'm questioning Felipe's competence. I have always liked Felipe and I still do, and I supported him 100% when he was a Ferrari driver, but I just think that he shouldn't make such comments and insinuations about Ferrari or Ferrari's current drivers, that's not a very nice thing to do, especially considering how many years Ferrari stood by him during his most difficult times. Anyway, these are just my opinions and my intention is not to ruffle any feathers here lol. ;-)
Trouble is they can't just mind their own business & keep their mouths shut, that's not the way it works & reporters keep after them until they finally say something that can be twisted or taken out of context. Felipe's such an honest straightforward guy & I sense no animosity towards Ferrari in the things he has said.
Often, the path you want to go down the least turns out to be quite another journey than you expected. As the saying goes, it's a "new lease on life" & I hope it leads Felipe to some good success, even if only over Bottas.

F2008
29th May 2014, 22:17
Interesting about the deal within the team at Monza 07 never knew that

That is actually the most remarkable part of the article, everything else is just common sense.

Silent Bob
29th May 2014, 22:57
Because unfortunately people can't seem to stop themselves from tearing Massa to shreds, whether he drives for Ferrari or not.
He is perfectly entitled to his honest opinion on Ferrari and quite honestly I agree with what he said about Williams being the right place for him now.

Well I guess it has to be the right place for him as Ferrari only has 2 cars. But he is starting to sound a little like Barrichello with some of his comments.. now if it's the media that is misinterpreting his comments then that could be another matter, but his answer about moving to Williams does not need to include negativity towards his old team. He could be gracious to Ferrari and answer that although he enjoyed his time with Ferrari, he's now focusing 100% on his new team. And I think Ferrari are owed a little bit of gratitude for what they did for Felipe. Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.

Nero Horse
29th May 2014, 23:01
Well I guess it has to be the right place for him as Ferrari only has 2 cars. But he is starting to sound a little like Barrichello with some of his comments.. now if it's the media that is misinterpreting his comments then that could be another matter, but his answer about moving to Williams does not need to include negativity towards his old team. He could be gracious to Ferrari and answer that although he enjoyed his time with Ferrari, he's now focusing 100% on his new team. And I think Ferrari are owed a little bit of gratitude for what they did for Felipe. Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.

THIS^^

Completely agree.

Kiwi Nick
29th May 2014, 23:35
Without his Ferrari history, he might be reflecting on how much he likes his Marrusia or Caterham rather than his Williams.

Or be chasing Montoya around in circles!

anacleto
30th May 2014, 03:20
Who here can honestly say that they supported all Ferrari drivers when with the team? Rubens was hated with a capital H here when with" team orders" Ferrari. Venom spewed on a daily basis. Who here hated MS when he joined up with Merc? He was no lomger with Ferrari but you'd never guess it here. Massa got his head split open driving for Ferrari. The little bit of gratitude Ferrari gave him was a boot in the ass. Williams took Massa on because of his driving ability and F1 experience, not because he was with Ferrari. What's the boy supposed to do in an interview, say Ferrari who? Dumping Massa was the answer, look where we are! Not even Kimi can help us so far. IMO S Dom got out before he got kiked out Massa style and managed to save face. He helped bring us to an all time low, not Massa. Freedom of speech should be acknowledged world wide. I wish only the best for Massa after all he did for us. And I wish a better set of wheels for Kimi ASAP. When Ferrari gives Alonso a pole setting car he will win every race. He is the best we ever had.

vcs316
30th May 2014, 03:33

+1. Thank you Felipe for all the years of service, we really like & respect you but please do not become like Rubens.

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 04:14
Trouble is they can't just mind their own business & keep their mouths shut, that's not the way it works & reporters keep after them until they finally say something that can be twisted or taken out of context. Felipe's such an honest straightforward guy & I sense no animosity towards Ferrari in the things he has said.
Often, the path you want to go down the least turns out to be quite another journey than you expected. As the saying goes, it's a "new lease on life" & I hope it leads Felipe to some good success, even if only over Bottas.

Exactly. It's not like Felipe went and sought out a reporter to say this, he was asked a question and answered it.

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 04:16
Rubens was hated with a capital H here when with" team orders" Ferrari.

How do you know what happened here then since you have only been a member since April of this year?

Hornet
30th May 2014, 06:17
And how do you think Massa got his Ferrari drive? He got a Ferrari seat because he had the talent to fulfill Ferrari's need, and he did so for so many years. You don't get to be a Ferrari driver through lucky draw or money. What you call a Ferrari history is really his talent speaking for itself.

Anyway all he's saying is that the closing of Ferrari's door on him had opened up another better opportunity for him. Don't understand why people get twisted about it, because it is the truth. Being at Williams is a better position for him as he no longer has to be under Alonso's shadow and play the supporting role in the team. He's now free to do the best for himself and get the recognition he deserve before he retires.

anacleto
30th May 2014, 09:41
+1. Thank you Felipe for all the years of service, we really like & respect you but please do not become like Rubens.
Your wish has already come true, unlike Rubens at Ferrari, Massa has refused team orders at Williams. Rubens loyalty while with Ferrari will never be found again.

anacleto
30th May 2014, 09:45
How do you know what happened here then since you have only been a member since April of this year?

Right now there's 64 people on line here, 54 guests ten members.

theforce
30th May 2014, 11:19

Looks like you also have a copy of Massa's Handbook called "Endless Excuses for Poor Performance".

theforce
30th May 2014, 11:27

lol, typical excuses for his poor performance.

Don't know what you've been watching over the years my friend. Fact of the matter is, all the problems this year have been his own fault. Some drivers have a knack for getting tangled and causing their own bad luck, his whole season of being magnetized to Lewis shows for it self.

Love how Felipe supporters always back up his poor form behind the shield of "stop bashing Felipe" and are completely oblivious to the fact that he simply can't deliver when compared to the likes of Fernando. This the not the first time he's brought the talk of Fernando hogging the team for himself to surface, its rather boring now.

theforce
30th May 2014, 11:29
Exactly. It's not like Felipe went and sought out a reporter to say this, he was asked a question and answered it.

There is always a better way to answer a question rather than take a cheap shot at your former team/team-mate to justify your own poor form.

SinanOzerS
30th May 2014, 11:53
Classic Felipe.

fratelliferrari
30th May 2014, 12:06
Looks like you also have a copy of Massa's Handbook called "Endless Excuses for Poor Performance".

Trying to be funny? Because you failed completely...

Winter
30th May 2014, 12:25
That is actually the most remarkable part of the article, everything else is just common sense.

And that was common sense too, there might have been same kind of deal in 2008 and 2009 too.

Silent Bob
30th May 2014, 12:28
Who here can honestly say that they supported all Ferrari drivers when with the team? Rubens was hated with a capital H here when with" team orders" Ferrari. Venom spewed on a daily basis. Who here hated MS when he joined up with Merc? He was no lomger with Ferrari but you'd never guess it here. Massa got his head split open driving for Ferrari. The little bit of gratitude Ferrari gave him was a boot in the ass. Williams took Massa on because of his driving ability and F1 experience, not because he was with Ferrari. What's the boy supposed to do in an interview, say Ferrari who? Dumping Massa was the answer, look where we are! Not even Kimi can help us so far. IMO S Dom got out before he got kiked out Massa style and managed to save face. He helped bring us to an all time low, not Massa. Freedom of speech should be acknowledged world wide. I wish only the best for Massa after all he did for us. And I wish a better set of wheels for Kimi ASAP. When Ferrari gives Alonso a pole setting car he will win every race. He is the best we ever had.

I think Ferrari gave Massa a little more than just a bit of gratitude after his accident. They gave him 3-4 years of contracts after it. If a person wants to be petty then blame your previous employer for all your problems. Why is he bitter towards Ferrari. If Williams is such a breath of fresh air then why didn't he tell the reporter that maybe he should have made the decision to leave Ferrari sooner rather than stick around and force them to give him a 'boot in the ass'. There are gracious ways to answer questions and when you choose not to, then you sound petty and vindictive. And if we use your argument of free speech then if Massa wishes to crap on Ferrari, then it's fair play for Ferrari supporters to crap on Massa.

Hornet
30th May 2014, 12:44
Perhaps you should explain to us how was it Massa's fault that someone else ran into him or when the pit crew screwed up, because those were exactly the incidents the post you quoted was referring to. Back your statement up.

Don't know what you've been watching over the years my friend. Fact of the matter is, all the problems this year have been his own fault. Some drivers have a knack for getting tangled and causing their own bad luck, his whole season of being magnetized to Lewis shows for it self.

Love how Felipe supporters always back up his poor form behind the shield of "stop bashing Felipe" and are completely oblivious to the fact that he simply can't deliver when compared to the likes of Fernando. This the not the first time he's brought the talk of Fernando hogging the team for himself to surface, its rather boring now.
So was it Kimi's fault that Chilton ran into him in Monaco? Or does the law of nature operates differently for Massa.

Massa had never make any excuses on why he couldn't perform on par as Alonso did, he explained in the very first post of this thread how Alonso always has the advantage especially when the car isn't ideal.

I think Ferrari gave Massa a little more than just a bit of gratitude after his accident. They gave him 3-4 years of contracts after it. If a person wants to be petty then blame your previous employer for all your problems. Why is he bitter towards Ferrari. If Williams is such a breath of fresh air then why didn't he tell the reporter that maybe he should have made the decision to leave Ferrari sooner rather than stick around and force them to give him a 'boot in the ass'. There are gracious ways to answer questions and when you choose not to, then you sound petty and vindictive. And if we use your argument of free speech then if Massa wishes to crap on Ferrari, then it's fair play for Ferrari supporters to crap on Massa.

You guys have been crapping on Massa all along even when he was driving for Ferrari, in all those years he sacrificed his own race to help the team. Don't ride the high horse now.

Silent Bob
30th May 2014, 13:50
You guys have been crapping on Massa all along even when he was driving for Ferrari, in all those years he sacrificed his own race to help the team. Don't ride the high horse now.

Sorry man, you got it wrong. I didn't crap on Massa when he was driving for Ferrari. Was I disappointed in his performance... absolutely and felt it was time for him to go.. But I always respected him as a Ferrari driver. My loyalty is to Ferrari and now that Massa is not part of Ferrari and he feels the need to boost himself while taking digs at Ferrari, then I have an issue with that. He's a nice guy, I don't hate him.. he just isn't the driver we need to help us win the WCC. Is Kimi. Don't know yet, will have to wait and see how he progresses. Has Kimi ever made disparaging remarks about his time at Lotus?

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 14:59
There is always a better way to answer a question rather than take a cheap shot at your former team/team-mate to justify your own poor form.

I'm struggling to find the cheap shot in Massa's interview. Please point it out.

Winter

LINK>>Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen admits 2014 F1 title chance ‘seems to be over’ (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140529/F1/140529802?utm_source=DailyDrive20140529&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article8&utm_content=20140529-Ferrari-percent27s-Kimi-Raikkonen-admits-2014-F1-title-chance--percent27seems-to-be-over-percent27&utm_campaign=awdailydrive)

If that was from Santander PR event in Norway, he also said there, that it would be nice if somebody could challenge Mercedes and it would be even nicer if it would be someone from Ferrari(meaning Alonso).

To his WDC, it's 122 vs 17 at the moment. It's another thing to throw in the towel, than just accept the reality. He also said that, of course he still tries to get as much points as possible.

REDARMYSOJA
Right now there's 64 people on line here, 54 guests ten members.

OK, thanks. But what does that have to do with anything?

Winter
30th May 2014, 15:06
OK, thanks. But what does that have to do with anything?

Maybe that there's plenty of people following this forum without signing them selves in, as I did for some time..

And that reminds me.. Is there some setting I need to change to not get logged off every 15 mins? That's very annoying..

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 15:25
Maybe that there's plenty of people following this forum without signing them selves in, as I did for some time..

And that reminds me.. Is there some setting I need to change to not get logged off every 15 mins? That's very annoying..

Just seems strange that someone would lurk for 12 years, then decide to join.

I have no idea why you are being logged off. Might be a browser problem.

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 15:29
He also said that, of course he still tries to get as much points as possible.

I never said he wouldn't. Those are Kimi's words, not mine. If you have a problem with them, I suggest you speak to Kimi.

Kingdom Hearts
30th May 2014, 15:44

I can't imagine the reactions if Fernando says something like that.

Nero Horse
30th May 2014, 16:02

Me! I can honestly say that I've always supported all the Ferrari drivers. And you're completely wrong about Ferrari's gratitude towards Massa being "a boot in the ass"...Ferrari's gratitude for Massa were multiple contract renewals year after year and having faith in Massa for so long, despite his subpar results. Get your stories straight before making such nonsense claims!

And Massa can talk about how much he likes being at Williams as much as he wants, but like was said earlier, his comments do not have to include negative remarks and hints towards Ferrari. Massa still has many Ferrari fans who like him, myself included, but with such remarks towards Ferrari he's alienating all these fans. i'm sure there's a way for him to make his comments without making any negative remarks towards Ferrari.

Winter
30th May 2014, 17:03
I never said he wouldn't. Those are Kimi's words, not mine. If you have a problem with them, I suggest you speak to Kimi.

Kimi didn't say anything about towels, or did I miss something?

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 18:01
Kimi didn't say anything about towels, or did I miss something?

Ah, so it's the "throw in the towel" thing that has your knickers in a twist. That's just a figure of speech indicating something is over, but since it has offended you so, I'll rephrase that.

Kimi says “It seems to be over. The Mercedes cars are too fast.

“We [Ferrari] want to be ahead, but my challenge on the championship seems to be over for the season,”.

But that doesn't mean he won't still give his utmost effort for the team and he's still better than that stinky Massa.

Is that better?

Winter
30th May 2014, 18:53
Ah, so it's the "throw in the towel" thing that has your knickers in a twist. That's just a figure of speech indicating something is over, but since it has offended you so, I'll rephrase that.

Kimi says “It seems to be over. The Mercedes cars are too fast.

“We [Ferrari] want to be ahead, but my challenge on the championship seems to be over for the season,”.

But that doesn't mean he won't still give his utmost effort for the team and he's still better than that stinky Massa.

Is that better?

Oh, and I've always thought that "throwing a towel" would be a sign of giving up. Sorry my English then, not my first language :oops

But you are wrong if you think that I have something against Massa. He and Valtteri make my second favorite team :thumb

Giallo 550
30th May 2014, 19:09

Don't know what you've been watching over the years my friend. Fact of the matter is, all the problems this year have been his own fault.

I've watched every Grand Prix over the past four and a half years. Blaming Felipe for his accidents this year is like blaming Fernando for what happened with Grosjean in Spa in 2012. Learn to be objective instead of making asinine blanket statements.

Suzie
30th May 2014, 19:35
I'm struggling to find the cheap shot in Massa's interview. Please point it out.

I'd like to see this as well.

Felipe gets torn apart for giving an honest opinion on his former team, despite never speaking out when he WAS there. Unlike his oh-so illustrious former teammate who allegedly threatened to blab all over Twitter about lack of updates at Ferrari and then said he wanted a different car to drive.

REDARMYSOJA
30th May 2014, 20:16
Oh, and I've always thought that "throwing a towel" would be a sign of giving up. Sorry my English then, not my first language :oops

But you are wrong if you think that I have something against Massa. He and Valtteri make my second favorite team :thumb

Well, "throwing in the towel" would be a sign of giving up. It comes from boxing, where the manager throws a towel into the ring to signal their guy has had enough. I didn't mean however to give the implication Kimi wasn't going to try, it was just indicating his assessment of his WDC chances. I agree with him though, and really, I think it's pretty well over for Alonso bar a miracle, though Alonso does have a better chance. I'm sure both know this. They'll still give it their all for a podium or possible win. I think that's the best they can expect from this season.

Stormsearcher
30th May 2014, 20:23
Is there some setting I need to change to not get logged off every 15 mins? That's very annoying..

Happens to me too. If there is no activity (read as typing stuff) for 10 min, it automatically logs you off. A bit annoying. yes. :-)

Stormsearcher
30th May 2014, 20:25

Felipe gets torn apart for giving an honest opinion on his former team, despite never speaking out when he WAS there. Unlike his oh-so illustrious former teammate who allegedly threatened to blab all over Twitter about lack of updates at Ferrari and then said he wanted a different car to drive.

Does it have to come to this? The "oh-so illustrious former teammate" is a CURRENT ferrari driver, and someone who's really kept the flag flying for the team the last 4 years. There was no need to slag him. :-!

Winter
30th May 2014, 22:26
Well, "throwing in the towel" would be a sign of giving up. It comes from boxing, where the manager throws a towel into the ring to signal their guy has had enough. I didn't mean however to give the implication Kimi wasn't going to try, it was just indicating his assessment of his WDC chances. I agree with him though, and really, I think it's pretty well over for Alonso bar a miracle, though Alonso does have a better chance. I'm sure both know this. They'll still give it their all for a podium or possible win. I think that's the best they can expect from this season.

Yes, I agree, that's pretty much how I think it is at the moment.

ManFromMilan
31st May 2014, 02:11
about lack of updates at Ferrari and then said he wanted a different car to drive.

No, he wanted a car as good as his rivals to drive. Unless you think the Scuderia Ferrari deserves a second or third best car on the grid.

Sure Mr. Enzo would just love that.

abbottcostello
31st May 2014, 06:06
Happens to me too. If there is no activity (read as typing stuff) for 10 min, it automatically logs you off. A bit annoying. yes. :-)
Strange, I stay logged in as long as I leave my computer on & TSN is open in a tab, doesn't even have to be the active tab, if I switch to it I'm already logged in!

Seems that we're a bit too defensive on here about anyone saying just about anything about Ferrari, comes with not winning I think? Once the Scuderia gets back to its winning ways, people will say "who cares, let them talk" or ""sour grapes"

theforce
31st May 2014, 08:45
Trying to be funny? Because you failed completely...

No I wasn't...so does that mean I passed completely?

theforce
31st May 2014, 08:56
Perhaps you should explain to us how was it Massa's fault that someone else ran into him or when the pit crew screwed up, because those were exactly the incidents the post you quoted was referring to. Back your statement up.

So was it Kimi's fault that Chilton ran into him in Monaco? Or does the law of nature operates differently for Massa.

Massa had never make any excuses on why he couldn't perform on par as Alonso did, he explained in the very first post of this thread how Alonso always has the advantage especially when the car isn't ideal.

Its got nothing to do with the pit crew, he bumped into Fernando at the start which messed with his wheel/hub which in turn made it difficult for the pit crew to change his tyre...I didn't see anyone from the pit crew causing Felipe to weave left and right and then bump into Fernando at the start.

If someone else hits you then yes it is also your own fault for putting yourself in that position in the first place...Felipe in Qualy, Felipe/Koba, Alonso/Kvyat and Kimi/Chilton, Alonso being taken out at the opening lap by both Lotus drivers in 2012...these are your own faults, simple. Which is why the teams don't take likely if you are always getting hit by others, you can't just use the excuse...'oh he bumped into me' all the time.

Massa always has a lame excuse for poor performance after the race which never has to do with him. And maybe you didn't read the part of the article where he states twice that the reason for Alonso's success is also that 'Alonso has the team built around him' which is a pathetic thing to say imo.

No one is crapping on about Massa, I like him and I'm sure plenty of others as well but we don't fail to see the other side of the story.

theforce
31st May 2014, 09:05

How is it that mentioning the reason Alonso does well also has to do with having the team built around him not a cheap shot? He's clearly implying that I had poor performance while Alonso didn't because he was being sugarcoated by the team. That not only steals credit from Alonso's performance over the years but also make Felipe sounds like a sore loser in the battle. You never give excuses...you do bad its your own fault. In 07 no one in Mclaren was even hoping for Fernando to win by mid-way through the season yet he managed to bring the fight to the last race.

lol Suzie...that's the worst when you back talk after leaving the team.

theforce
31st May 2014, 09:14
I've watched every Grand Prix over the past four and a half years. Blaming Felipe for his accidents this year is like blaming Fernando for what happened with Grosjean in Spa in 2012. Learn to be objective instead of making asinine blanket statements.

lol, blaming others for hitting you is also a cheap way of dodging the blame. We know its very difficult to drive these cars and see out of them so in you end up getting tangled or bumped then yeah it is your fault for putting yourself in that situation to result in a damaged car. If you have a knack for attracting other other or being involved in a mess then how on earth can that not be your fault? There is no one but you inside that car and where you put the car or end up is in your own two hands, no one elses. You have control of the steering wheel.

And yes it was Fernando's own fault for being taken out before Turn 1 twice in 2012 which pretty much lost him the championship.

Its not hard to see it this way...maybe you also blame others for your own unhappiness?

shamim179
31st May 2014, 14:07
Massa needs to focus on his current job and stop bringing up the past. Focus on trying to beat Bottas and establish yourself as the lead driver at Williams. Stop making references to Ferrari - you've already made a few remarks already. Preserve your dignity. Your legacy as a Ferrari driver will always go down well but don't jeopardize it.

Suzie
31st May 2014, 14:09
You lot banging on about Felipe and generally being a load of yappy gits makes me feel like he never left Ferrari.
CARRY ON.

Suzie
31st May 2014, 14:10
You lot banging on about Felipe and generally being a load of yappy gits makes me feel like he never left Ferrari.
CARRY ON.

Silent Bob
31st May 2014, 15:20
CARRY ON.
Truth of it is, Massa himself brought this back into the spotlight. He has left Ferrari so there is really no reason for him to carry on. And I thought name calling was frowned upon in this forum.

Alonsomaniac
31st May 2014, 15:36
Truth of it is, Massa himself brought this back into the spotlight. He has left Ferrari so there is really no reason for him to carry on. And I thought name calling was frowned upon in this forum.

Maybe real truth is that people keep asking him questions about the subject?

fratelliferrari
31st May 2014, 15:39
lol, blaming others for hitting you is also a cheap way of dodging the blame. We know its very difficult to drive these cars and see out of them so in you end up getting tangled or bumped then yeah it is your fault for putting yourself in that situation to result in a damaged car. If you have a knack for attracting other other or being involved in a mess then how on earth can that not be your fault? There is no one but you inside that car and where you put the car or end up is in your own two hands, no one elses. You have control of the steering wheel.

And yes it was Fernando's own fault for being taken out before Turn 1 twice in 2012 which pretty much lost him the championship.

Its not hard to see it this way...maybe you also blame others for your own unhappiness?

I really can't understand that you mean this seriously?? You haven't seen the crashes with Koba (Koba had brake issues) and Ericsson (Felipe made room for Ericsson to pass but instead he crashed into Felipe) then this year because there was no blame at all on Felipe there as well as that awful pitstop in Malaysia! But sadly you don't want to admit that but it says enough about you then... :Hmm

Giallo 550
31st May 2014, 15:43

Based on that logic, you blame all of your unhappiness on yourself? I suppose every accident on the track is a "racing incident," just like no one is EVER at fault when normal people get into an accident on the road? Tell me, do they have cars in Germany?

Giallo 550
31st May 2014, 15:44
I really can't understand that you mean this seriously?? You haven't seen the crashes with Koba (Koba had brake issues) and Ericsson (Felipe made room for Ericsson to pass but instead he crashed into Felipe) then this year because there was no blame at all on Felipe there as well as that awful pitstop in Malaysia! But sadly you don't want to admit that but it says enough about you then... :Hmm

It says that he hasn't watched a single race all season.

Giallo 550
31st May 2014, 15:45

Bingo!

Silent Bob
31st May 2014, 16:09

As has been said over and over... there are many different ways to answer questions... you can sulk and be petty and blame your old team or you can be gracious and move on. Massa even has the choice to ignore the questions, or answer without mentioning his old team. Reporters will always ask the questions that will cause controversy, that's their job. It's up to the person being interviewed to decide if he will allow that question to cause controversy or answer in a way that it won't. Hopefully Massa will decide to be a bigger man because I really did like him, but much like what happened with Barrichello when he moaned and complained when he left Ferrari, I find myself thinking he's going to become a bitter person because, realistically I think he knows his chance at the big time is done. Barrichello lost my respect when he blamed Ferrari for all his issues, hopefully Massa has the smarts to look back on his time at Ferrari graciously.

Silent Bob
31st May 2014, 16:10
Bingo!

No comment. See wasn't that hard.

Forzi
31st May 2014, 16:11

That's the thing that many people don't seem to get. I ain't talking about this thread/forum alone, it's all over the world. People like to think that Felipe (or anyone else in a similar position) just got up in the morning and thought that "Hey, i should find me self a reporter and tell the ideas that emerged last night". And overall, would wonder, how many people before this season started had the same opinion that Felipe has? I know i did. I was rather sure Kimi would be outperformed and i was sure that the team will be leaning in to Fernando, as he's the man that did miracles with the car he had for the last few years. Kimi has to earn him self the love that Fernando has from the team. When Button moved to McLaren, we heard everyone saying the same thing, Lewis having the team around him. Most agreed with that, why not agree now? NOTE, that i'm talking about admiration, not No1 and No2 statuses. As i understand, that's what Felipe had in mind.

Nero Horse
31st May 2014, 16:15
And I thought name calling was frowned upon in this forum.

Apparently this doesn't apply to everybody... :lou

Nero Horse
31st May 2014, 16:19
As has been said over and over... there are many different ways to answer questions... you can sulk and be petty and blame your old team or you can be gracious and move on. Massa even has the choice to ignore the questions, or answer without mentioning his old team. Reporters will always ask the questions that will cause controversy, that's their job. It's up to the person being interviewed to decide if he will allow that question to cause controversy or answer in a way that it won't. Hopefully Massa will decide to be a bigger man because I really did like him, but much like what happened with Barrichello when he moaned and complained when he left Ferrari, I find myself thinking he's going to become a bitter person because, realistically I think he knows his chance at the big time is done. Barrichello lost my respect when he blamed Ferrari for all his issues, hopefully Massa has the smarts to look back on his time at Ferrari graciously.

Yes, hopefully he does, but at the moment it seems that he doesn't unfortunately... and I totally agree with the rest of your comment as well.

Hornet
31st May 2014, 16:36
Its got nothing to do with the pit crew, he bumped into Fernando at the start which messed with his wheel/hub which in turn made it difficult for the pit crew to change his tyre...I didn't see anyone from the pit crew causing Felipe to weave left and right and then bump into Fernando at the start.

If someone else hits you then yes it is also your own fault for putting yourself in that position in the first place...Felipe in Qualy, Felipe/Koba, Alonso/Kvyat and Kimi/Chilton, Alonso being taken out at the opening lap by both Lotus drivers in 2012...these are your own faults, simple. Which is why the teams don't take likely if you are always getting hit by others, you can't just use the excuse...'oh he bumped into me' all the time.

Massa always has a lame excuse for poor performance after the race which never has to do with him. And maybe you didn't read the part of the article where he states twice that the reason for Alonso's success is also that 'Alonso has the team built around him' which is a pathetic thing to say imo.

No one is crapping on about Massa, I like him and I'm sure plenty of others as well but we don't fail to see the other side of the story.

Well, actually Smedley said that the pit crew had a left-right mix up of the rear tires, which is why on TV we saw what looks like the rear tires arriving late. It didn't arrive late, but they had the wrong one and had to swap it around. It all went downhill from there on.

Yes I saw that he said Alonso had the team around him, which to a certain extend is kind of true as this is how Ferrari operated since the days of Schumi. I'm not complaining as it has brought the team many success, but we do have to acknowledge that this is how Ferrari operates.

The thing is, we cannot always take everything a driver says at face value. To be in F1, every driver needs to have a certain amount of ego, this is part of the self confidence they need to have to be in one of the most competitive sport. The only difference is some drivers like Lewis shows it more, while some prefers to keep it to themself. But there will always be a tendency for any driver to justify their achievements, because they need to believe that they are capable of delivering, otherwise they cannot be in this sport.

While Massa did say Alonso have the team build around him, he also did say that Alonso is one of the best driver out there. So he's not trying to imply that Alonso is not a good driver. He's just pointing out all of these factors which in his opinion, were the reason why we saw the difference in results when people compared him to Alonso.

Of course you do not have to agree with everything he says. How much each factor affected his performance, we'll never know. But you can't expect Massa to not defend himself whenever such comparison arises, he has to do so, just as any drivers should, for the reasons I mentioned.

Brembo
1st June 2014, 01:53
Whywould Rubens blame Ferrari for all his issues namely team orders regardless if needed on Ferrari? There were so many other teams to blame! :rotfl

Senna4Ever
1st June 2014, 08:21
Anyone else here who isn't able to figure out what the issue really is or was with the interview and why some are hopping around and acting like a irritable antelope runs from a lion?

REDARMYSOJA
1st June 2014, 17:18
How is it that mentioning the reason Alonso does well also has to do with having the team built around him not a cheap shot? He's clearly implying that I had poor performance while Alonso didn't because he was being sugarcoated by the team. That not only steals credit from Alonso's performance over the years but also make Felipe sounds like a sore loser in the battle. You never give excuses...you do bad its your own fault. In 07 no one in Mclaren was even hoping for Fernando to win by mid-way through the season yet he managed to bring the fight to the last race.

That's how you interpret it. I see it as giving an honest answer. If Alonso has the team backing him, it's because of his on track brilliance as much as anything. If he has been doing things off track to help that, other drivers should take note. I see it as a strength. Schumi was much the same way. The team was all in for him, and as in the case with Alonso, rightfully so.

We have an old saying here in Texas, "You gotta dance with the one that brung you". < That's for Lou, he loves "Texasisms".

Suzie
1st June 2014, 17:20
That's how you interpret it. I see it as giving an honest answer.

That Ferrari was focused on Nando is hardly a revelation either, is it. Unsure why some are treating this as Brand New Information.

REDARMYSOJA
1st June 2014, 17:21
That Ferrari was focused on Nando is hardly a revelation either, is it.

It would be an act of stupidity not to, in my opinion.

abbottcostello
2nd June 2014, 01:48
That Ferrari was focused on Nando is hardly a revelation either, is it. Unsure why some are treating this as Brand New Information.
And I thought Felipe was revealing the teams deep dark secrets :-D

anacleto
2nd June 2014, 07:51
And I thought Felipe was revealing the teams deep dark secrets :-D

:rotfl There's no need to ask "Who's on first?" It was and still is as should be, Alonso on first @Ferrari. What's Massa supposed to do? Kimi style interviews? Massas cool, I wish him the best at Williams.

vecchiasignora
2nd June 2014, 11:47
Actually last 2 races, Kimi had Alonso beat. And was either strategy or some accident that didnt let him finish ahead last 2 races.

Massa was awful, no matter how good Alonso was..your not convicing me with average driver we were 5th 6th best team on the grid ( thats where Massa was driving last few years)

Greig
2nd June 2014, 11:52
In one thread you declare Alonso era as the darkest, but now you are telling us our car is not all that bad?

Make your mind up.

REDARMYSOJA
2nd June 2014, 14:31
Actually last 2 races, Kimi had Alonso beat. And was either strategy or some accident that didnt let him finish ahead last 2 races.

Massa was awful, no matter how good Alonso was..your not convicing me with average driver we were 5th 6th best team on the grid ( thats where Massa was driving last few years)

LOL, that's the exact thing that kept happening to Massa, yet he was "awful"?

NickEice
2nd June 2014, 14:38
Isn't Massa ahead of Kimi in the standings... in an inferior car...

Ed Harley
2nd June 2014, 16:16
I wouldn't call 2014 Williams exactly inferior. But FM is one point ahead of KR. And VB has 16 points more than FM so sign Bottas to Ferrari after KR retires?

wisepie
2nd June 2014, 16:38
I wouldn't call 2014 Williams exactly inferior. But FM is one point ahead of KR. And VB has 16 points more than FM so sign Bottas to Ferrari after KR retires?

FM is only behind VB because of other factors not necessarily related to his driving, Ed! Can't really fault either of them for their performances this season, but Felipe's bad luck just keeps coming. And Bottas may well be a future star, just as Massa has always been for some of us.;-)

windwaves
3rd June 2014, 12:18
LOL, that's the exact thing that kept happening to Massa, yet he was "awful"?

Dude, this is not even close to being disputable: awful and that is it. Just facts.

fratelliferrari
3rd June 2014, 13:41
Dude, this is not even close to being disputable: awful and that is it. Just facts.

NO, not at all that's your opinion and not a fact :-!

NickEice
3rd June 2014, 14:31
The 2014 Williams is an inferior car to the Ferrari. It has been better at a couple circuits that suited their car but for the most part the Ferrari is better.

We are all complaining this year about a crap car but we are a close 3rd best on the grid, and if the rumors are true we could be moving up to best of the rest this week in Canada. Nobody is close to Mercedes, without them we'd be in the middle of an intense Championship battle.

There is something fishy about the Mercedes. There are a lot of brilliant engineers up and down the pit lane, how could a team just be that much better? I don't trust that team, not after what they pulled last year with the tire test.

NickEice
3rd June 2014, 14:32

And no, not Bottas, sign Hulkenberg, like everyone with half a brain knows they should have done this year.

Kiwi Nick
3rd June 2014, 15:37
And no, not Bottas, sign Hulkenberg, like everyone with half a brain knows they should have done this year.

Putting Hulkenberg in an already overweight car would not help. BTW, I am a big Hulk fan.

Kiwi Nick
3rd June 2014, 15:46
There is something fishy about the Mercedes. There are a lot of brilliant engineers up and down the pit lane, how could a team just be that much better? I don't trust that team, not after what they pulled last year with the tire test.

This is what happens whenever there is a major change in the formula, and 2014 is a huge change. It is no surprise that one manufacturer got it more right than the others. Things will necessarily tighten up in the coming years, but having a big advantage in the beginning gives Merc lots of opportunity to refine their car while others play catch up. A lot of Merc's strength seems to be in execution as opposed to basic design, at least on the engine side. Once Ferrari figure out how to make their PU work, I think it will be the best of the lot. It will be fun to see how Honda cope, and whether VW/Audi/Porsche are bold enough to jump in the water.

NickEice
3rd June 2014, 15:58
Putting Hulkenberg in an already overweight car would not help. BTW, I am a big Hulk fan.

I hear you, but if we aren't fighting for a championship, one of the reasons being our car is heavy, then why bother signing Kimi at all? At least give Hulk this year to get accostomed to working at Maranello.

Hornet
3rd June 2014, 17:01

If Massa was "factually awful" as you claimed, he would have been out of a drive this year. Williams would never hire an awful driver when they are trying to rebuild the team to a winning one.

Obviously the team sees all the quality in Massa, and I tend to trust the judgement someone who actually runs an F1 team as huge as Williams ;-)

Alonsomaniac
3rd June 2014, 17:46

There has never been much difference between Felipe and Kimi......does that mean Kimi is awful too? Come on.....

Alonsomaniac
3rd June 2014, 17:50

Strategy is a part of racing so Alonso beat Kimi on that occasion.......and the puncture, yep, nothing Kimi could do about that and without it he might have finished in front of Fernando or he might not. We'll never know.
Fact is that Fernando had his problems too that race but kept calm and finished in the points. Kimi could have done the same.....
What I mean to say is that Kimi indeed is a great driver, but not quite on Alonso's level yet at this moment.

openyour
7th June 2014, 08:21
Strategy is a part of racing so Alonso beat Kimi on that occasion.......and the puncture, yep, nothing Kimi could do about that and without it he might have finished in front of Fernando or he might not. We'll never know.
Fact is that Fernando had his problems too that race but kept calm and finished in the points. Kimi could have done the same.....
What I mean to say is that Kimi indeed is a great driver, but not quite on Alonso's level yet at this moment.

we don't know who is better yet till they are running the car with same people who design the car and the set-up before racing, in my opinion. In facts both of them are massive F1 driver

anacleto
11th June 2014, 20:44
We need one of our guys on pole for a win to happen.

NickEice
11th June 2014, 20:51
We need one of our guys on pole for a win to happen.

Pole? What's that? Haven't seen one in the dry since... 2010

Giallo 550
11th June 2014, 22:02
Something tells me that we won't be seeing a Ferrari on pole anytime in the foreseeable future.

anacleto
12th June 2014, 01:22
Come on man ! Didn't you ever hear about miracals? 1969 & 1986, the Mets won the world series! Anythings possible. If there's a way Alonso will fiind it.

Alonsomaniac
12th June 2014, 10:25
Come on man ! Didn't you ever hear about miracals? 1969 & 1986, the Mets won the world series! Anythings possible. If there's a way Alonso will fiind it.

Exactly. Unlike some other drivers Alonso stays optimistic and has his eyes wide open to see any opportunity, always.