PDA

View Full Version : Not Again! Formula 1 teams considering in-season testing ban to reduce costs

vcs316
30th May 2014, 03:53
Formula 1 teams are considering banning in-season testing next year as part of a move to cut costs, AUTOSPORT has learned.

Discussions between teams and the FIA are ongoing about ways to reduce spending - with a big focus on more standard parts, an expansion of parc ferme rules and a reduction in the number of working personnel allowed at a grand prix.

But sources have revealed that one avenue that is also being seriously evaluated is an overhaul of testing.

It is understood that a number of proposals are being discussed, including a ban on in-season testing once again.

For this year, teams agreed to a return of a limited number of post-race tests.These have already taken place after the Bahrain and Spanish Grands Prix, and there will be further runs after the British and Abu Dhabi races.

But although some teams have welcomed the value of the tests, not all of them are convinced that they are justified because of increased expenditure and the extra stress it puts on personnel.

As well as a potential ban on in-season testing, there are also moves to cut back on pre-season running next year, and it is likely there will be only two tests now before the first race of the year.

There also appears to be little desire to run outside of Europe, because of the extra cost that entailed for teams this year as they got to grips with their new 2014 cars.

It could mean that just two pre-season tests take place next year in Spain.

SPORTING RULES BEST WAY TO CUT COSTS

The focus on such changes to the sporting rules to reduce costs has been supported by Ferrari technical director James Allison, who thinks that it may be a better way of controlling spending than changes to technical rules.

"One of things we've said is that in general the technical regulations have not been the happiest hunting ground for saving margins," he said at the Monaco GP, when asked to respond to comments from FIA president Jean Todt that current ideas were a 'joke'.

"Sporting regulations have been generally more effective in that, so if there's an amount of effort to be put into discussing stuff, probably the biggest amount of money will be saved if we focus our effort on the sporting side.

"Saying that, there always are areas on the technical side where you can save chunks of money. I think it would be wrong to say these things are a joke.

"There are a large number of proposals on the table, they just need to be talked about until the ones which are a joke fall off the table and the ones which aren't stay on the table, and hopefully the questions of sustainability are resolved."

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier reckons F1 has to be careful of making too many rule changes in a short space of time, because that could actually drive costs up rather than down.

"We have to be careful. The more change we do to the regulations, the more money we could potentially spend adjusting our business to the new rules," Boullier warned.

"We know trying to keep the regulations stable over a few years is the best way to make sure we are saving money.

"At the same time, there are a couple of big discussions about the format of the weekend, the price of the engine, restriction in the windtunnel, where we could potentially save more money.

"This is what we are trying to agree for the future, but not going into any crazy decisions, because we could produce the inverse of what we want to do."

hogo
30th May 2014, 05:17
I hope Marco Matiacci, unlike his predecessor, has balls to veto all FIA decisions that could potentially be not in our favor. And testing ban is one of these potentially harmful decisions I believe.

Hornet
30th May 2014, 06:03
I hope Marco Matiacci, unlike his predecessor, has balls to veto all FIA decisions that could potentially be not in our favor. And testing ban is one of these potentially harmful decisions I believe.

You meant Luca DM? :-G
I believe Luca is the person who represents Ferrari in negotiation with FOM etc. Whenever there are any discussions held at a race weekend, you'll see Luca at that race event. If Ferrari were to use it's veto power, it would be up to Luca to do so.

paneristi
30th May 2014, 08:23
why not give all drivers RC cars? That will save even more :Hmm

Kingdom Hearts
30th May 2014, 10:51
Why not having more time on FP1 and FP2?.

ManFromMilan
30th May 2014, 11:13
How about the championship just being decided with the team's best simulator times for the tracks and we get to read about the results on Mondays.

That would save a lot of money:roll

Cozza
30th May 2014, 11:17
How about the championship just being decided with the team's best simulator times for the tracks and we get to read about the results on Mondays.

That would save a lot of money:roll

Bah too expensive.
They can just play Codemasters F1 Games.

ntukza
30th May 2014, 12:27
Are formula one outfits not making a profit from the sport?

Nero Horse
30th May 2014, 16:32
What is this "saving money and cutting costs" crap in F1?! Formula 1 should be about pushing the limits of technology, but how can you do that when you have all these stupid restrictions and cost cutting policies, dammit! And those teams that have small budgets and can't afford the high costs of F1, shouldn't be there in the first place.

ManFromMilan
31st May 2014, 02:05
Bah too expensive.
They can just play Codemasters F1 Games.

:lol

ntukza
31st May 2014, 06:17
I'm trying to understand the motive behind these cost cutting measures. Are the teams struggling to make a profit? Does anyone know the reasons?

abbottcostello
31st May 2014, 06:41
The bottom 5 or 6 teams (the voiceless ones) were really ticked when the big teams decided to abandon a spending cap. They're pretty much hanging on by a thread. Along the same lines, there is more talk about "customer cars", I think Ferrari would like to get back to that, seem to recall MM saying something about it. I think they would like very much to supply Haas Formula for a couple of years that way, until Haas got capability to design & build their own.

When I started watching there was the possibility of over 30 cars on the grid, I've got a Watkins Glen (USGP) program from 1971, there were 31 cars listed in the lineup, Ferrari had 3 with 3 drivers (only 2 raced, Andretti was a part timer that year)! Of course not all got a grid spot, more DNQ's than today, which has essentially none :lol

ntukza
5th June 2014, 07:03
So I gather then that the bottom teams are only just making a profit and the top and midfield teams are doing well in the sport financially. If that's the case, I don't see why there should be such a big fuss about cost cutting. I don't see why the sport must lose its essence because of a few teams who can't keep up. This is ridiculous!

abbottcostello
5th June 2014, 07:49
It's probably more like the the bottom teams are losing a fairly substantial amount of money & mid-pack teams are only losing a smaller amount. The top teams might be making money, but ironically they don't really need it to continue. Worst part is there is really not much hope for the bottom teams to improve without dumping huge amounts of money in, on top of what they already are spending. The outcome is they either sell the team off if they are lucky enough to find a buyer or just close up shop.

If you listen to the leaders of the top teams, they seem to be concerned for the survival of F1 as a class, if the gridded car numbers dip under 20!

Right now, as long as all the cars qualify (107% rule), there are 22 cars racing (well, more accurately, 22 on the grid). Back in the '70's & '80's there would be around 30+ cars entered, with a race grid of ~26.

All my numbers may not be rock solid, but good enough to show they have valid worries about maintaining the existence of the sport, not a good option in my mind.:Hmm

Well, that's my take on the health of the sport, for what it's worth.

Hornet
5th June 2014, 08:47
No matter how they restrict spending on the technical side, it is still impossible to restrict the bigger team from spending for an advantage. For example, the smaller team will never be able to afford to hire the likes of Alonso and Schumi, or Newey and Bryne. The skills and talent that gets translated to performance comes from the people that make up the team, and the talented ones comes with a huge price tag. Of course smaller team could afford young upcoming talent like Bianchi, but the moment they show any hint of a potential huge return for the team, they would be snag up by larger teams before they could bring anything to the smaller team they started at.

Therefore while I do agree that cost should be kept in check, the smaller teams should not be used as a benchmark. F1 will always be an expensive sport, that's part of the reason why it's the most high profile auto racing event in the world. IMO, the focus should be to try and attract other car makers who are serious about auto racing as well, who have their own auto racing program. Cost will definitely matters to these racing outfits too, but perhaps it's better to use them as a judge of where the cost should be, and not some small team who's owned by a businessman who bails the moment his team fails to turn profit.

ntukza
5th June 2014, 15:27
Thank you Abbotcostello and Hornet, that was helpful.