PDA

View Full Version : Tempers fray as Ferrari looks to 2015

vcs316
23rd June 2014, 08:55
Jun.23 (GMM/Inautonews.com) When told on Sunday to push up to his nearest rival, the radio answer from Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen was immediate.

“Well, give me more power!” the Finn told his engineer.

Raikkonen has notably struggled since returning to the Italian team in 2014, but so too has Ferrari with its newly V6-powered F14-T.

“Kimi complained about the engine,” new team boss Marco Mattiacci conceded after the Austrian grand prix, “but it’s up to us to give him a car with which he can deliver his value.”

In red uniforms, tempers are fraying all over the Maranello based camp, whose cool Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher-led era now seems entirely of another time.

Now, rumours of discontent are rife.

Spain’s Marca reports that, after the Canadian grand prix, Mattiacci had an angry exchange with Pat Fry, whose technical role at Ferrari has been in doubt for several months since the arrival of James Allison, who leads the 2015 project.

Marca claims Briton Fry offered to resign after the Montreal row.

“It’s rubbish,” a spokesman insisted. “Do not listen to these rumours.”

Mattiacci, however, does not deny that a frank exchange after Canada took place, as Ferrari plots a desperate course to improve.

“I like meetings where people talk openly and honestly and no one is silent,” he told Spanish television in Austria.

“After Canada, we held meetings to discuss our weaknesses and in what direction we should go for the future.”

That is because, although Raikkonen wants more “power”, Mattiacci said Ferrari needs to work on every single area of the car for 2015, not just the underperforming engine.

“I would not isolate one area,” he said. “I do not think that all of our problems are related to the engine, although the one Mercedes has produced is excellent.”

Indeed, in Austria, Mercedes-powered cars totally dominated the top seven finishing positions — with the only exception being Fernando Alonso in fifth place.

He may not have a winning car, but – when it comes to driver skill – Alonso has the respect of the entire paddock.

Asked how satisfying that is, he answered on Sunday: “Not much, to be honest. It’s been like that for five years.

“There is always a satisfaction that everyone believes you are doing the maximum in the work you do — drivers, team bosses, fans.

“But I would rather have less respect and more trophies.”

Alonso is quoted by AS newspaper as admitting that closing the gap to Mercedes in 2014 is “impossible”.

2015, however, is another thing, despite rumours he is desperate for a change of scene after five barren years in red.

When asked if Mercedes’ dominance can be ended after just one season, Alonso hesitated as he admitted: “Yes … yes.

“I think a lot can happen from one year to the next, as we saw from the past year to this one.

“Especially this year, with these regulations, everything is very new, so I expect 2015 to be another huge step for everyone, including Mercedes, but those who are below them have more room to improve.

“We will catch up to Mercedes. That is our hope,” Alonso concluded.

http://www.inautonews.com/tempers-fray-as-ferrari-looks-to-2015#.U6fqwfmSwik

Ed Harley
23rd June 2014, 09:10
I like Mr Mattiacci's approach. I was quite skeptical at first but he may be the person to provide the leadership that the team needs.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 15:03
I like Mr Mattiacci's approach. I was quite skeptical at first but he may be the person to provide the leadership that the team needs.

Agreed. MM really seems to be a no-nonsense kind of guy, who isn't afraid to hurt someone's feelings and ruffle some feathers in order to make the team go forward and get back to our winning ways asap. That's exactly the kind of leader that the team needs at the moment.

Senna4Ever
23rd June 2014, 15:38
On page 89 (Appendix 4) of the Technical Regulations of Formula 1 is to determine exactly what must be done after this season and what is not. Of 66 defined components 61 are allowed to be replaced, in a proportion of the entire power unit expressed even 92 percent.
But in 2016 are then already 23 percent of the whole unit are "frozen" instead of eight percent, "
2018 25 percent and 2019 was 95 percent.

Means: 2015 is the best opportunity to improve the existing base drives. In the winter may be changed almost everything

This also challenges the discontented statements of Renault and Ferrari, because in winter the two manufacturers have the opportunity to mend their mistakes in the development of the initial concept - and not just in the software (even during the season), but also just in the hardware area (just after the season).

And this means that for HONDA it will be harder to get a problem under control because 2016 more parts frozen.

ferrari4life
23rd June 2014, 15:46
what a wasted talent.. If I were Alonso I would probably have been practicing my Sunday morning drive to church instead of putting in that much effort for a team that is clearly not going anywhere up.

hate to say it but almost feel its better for Alonso if Ferrari let him go on to a team where he can get a few more records to his name before he gets too old.

Not usually on the fire people band wagon but it is embarrassing to watch Ferrari caught with their pants down on this engine. Someone dropped the ball big time this year and its shameful. Hope this Mariachi guy is not just another stepping stone to disaster but I guess we will have to wait till next year to see.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 16:00
what a wasted talent.. If I were Alonso I would probably have been practicing my Sunday morning drive to church instead of putting in that much effort for a team that is clearly not going anywhere up.

hate to say it but almost feel its better for Alonso if Ferrari let him go on to a team where he can get a few more records to his name before he gets too old.

Not usually on the fire people band wagon but it is embarrassing to watch Ferrari caught with their pants down on this engine. Someone dropped the ball big time this year and its shameful. Hope this Mariachi guy is not just another stepping stone to disaster but I guess we will have to wait till next year to see.

Well aren't you a cheerful one lol. For a guy who's username is "ferrari4life" you're not showing much support for Ferrari are you. And if Alonso wants to leave then he can leave, nobody is holding a gun to his head, but I really don't think he wants to leave.

Stingray
23rd June 2014, 16:20
Well aren't you a cheerful one lol. For a guy who's username is "ferrari4life" you're not showing much support for Ferrari are you. And if Alonso wants to leave then he can leave, nobody is holding a gun to his head, but I really don't think he wants to leave.

Unfortunately, that is really the situation at the moment, it's of no use to keep on denying the obvious facts. It's a very painful year so far for all true Ferrari fans, without any real promise or chance for a sensational breakthrough ..... even the sound of that seems to be far-fetched! It is really bad to watch the races with the knowledge that Ferrari isn't even in contention .....

Hornet
23rd June 2014, 16:23
Um, I don't see why MM would suddenly get mad and fight with Pat Fry. This is not exactly our worst race since MM took over. Why would MM get mad now when we finished P5, a much better result than some races in the past.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 16:43
Unfortunately, that is really the situation at the moment, it's of no use to keep on denying the obvious facts. It's a very painful year so far for all true Ferrari fans, without any real promise or chance for a sensational breakthrough ..... even the sound of that seems to be far-fetched! It is really bad to watch the races with the knowledge that Ferrari isn't even in contention .....

Yes, I agree that it is really bad, sad and frustrating to watch the races when Ferrari is having such difficulties, but surely that doesn't mean that we should be wishing for our top driver to leave and go somewhere else lol. In times like these, we need all the help and input from a driver like Alonso to get back on top. Fortunately Alonso doesn't agree with those people who think that "he's only wasting his talent" at Ferrari. For Alonso, being a Ferrari driver is a privilege and an honor, and all he wants is to get that third WDC title together with Ferrari. He has said many times that "winning the title with Ferrari would mean so much more than winning it with some other team".

ferrari4life
23rd June 2014, 16:55

LOL.. are you seriously going to bring up the support Ferrari no matter what mantra? You sound ridiculous.
Where did I state anything about not supporting Ferrari. I just choose to call a cow a cow and this years engine is no prancing horse. And if you want to believe that there are no problems that exist in a team that produced that engine then you need to realize that you can put as much makeup on a donkey but its still an Ass.

I didnt say anything about Alonso wanting to stay or not though I am not sure why he would stay. He is in it to win and I doubt Ferrari will be able to provide him a car that can anytime soon. I feel that instead of stinging him along Ferrari should just fess up to the fact that it will be years before we can right this ship.

I guess the positive could be that if Alonso is staying then he probably sees some positive in the near future for Ferrari.

ferrari4life
23rd June 2014, 17:03
Yes, I agree that it is really bad, sad and frustrating to watch the races when Ferrari is having such difficulties, but surely that doesn't mean that we should be wishing for our top driver to leave and go somewhere else lol. In times like these, we need all the help and input from a driver like Alonso to get back on top. Fortunately Alonso doesn't agree with those people who think that "he's only wasting his talent" at Ferrari. For Alonso, being a Ferrari driver is a privilege and an honor, and all he wants is to get that third WDC title together with Ferrari. He has said many times that "winning the title with Ferrari would mean so much more than winning it with some other team".

What would you expect him to say about Ferrari seeing that they made him the highest paid driver in the world?
Reasons why he is staying could include Possibly
1. No other team wants to pay him that kind of money (i doubt this)
2. No other team will give him number 1 status (possibly)
3. He know something about Ferrari we dont (I hope)
4. He is too old and set in his ways.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 17:05
LOL.. are you seriously going to bring up the support Ferrari no matter what mantra? You sound ridiculous.
Where did I state anything about not supporting Ferrari. I just choose to call a cow a cow and this years engine is no prancing horse. And if you want to believe that there are no problems that exist in a team that produced that engine then you need to realize that you can put as much makeup on a donkey but its still an Ass.

I didnt say anything about Alonso wanting to stay or not though I am not sure why he would stay. He is in it to win and I doubt Ferrari will be able to provide him a car that can anytime soon. I feel that instead of stinging him along Ferrari should just fess up to the fact that it will be years before we can right this ship.

I guess the positive could be that if Alonso is staying then he probably sees some positive in the near future for Ferrari.

There are problems in the team, yes, I know that very well. I just don't understand why would you wish Alonso to leave? Right now we need all the help and input we can get from a driver like Alonso. And I really don't think that Alonso feels like "he's wasting his talent at Ferrari".

ferrari4life
23rd June 2014, 17:08
There are problems in the team, yes, I know that very well. I just don't understand why would you wish Alonso to leave? Right now we need all the help and input we can get from a driver like Alonso. And I really don't think that Alonso feels like "he's wasting his talent at Ferrari".

Well I hope you are right about him. I really do. From a non-emotional point of view I dont understand why he is staying. Seeing that Vettel makes 10mil less than him probably cause no other team can afford to pay him so much.

ferrari4life
23rd June 2014, 17:10

I have never been a big fan of him but after seeing the heart he puts into his driving I feel he deserves those titles however(un-emotionally) I do not believe that Ferrari will help him get them.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 17:18
Well I hope you are right about him. I really do. From a non-emotional point of view I dont understand why he is staying. Seeing that Vettel makes 10mil less than him probably cause no other team can afford to pay him so much.

Alonso is a stubborn guy and he's determined to win that third WDC title with Ferrari. :-)

And I don't think that money is the be-all and end-all of things for Alonso. He's got plenty of money, but what he doesn't have is the title with Ferrari and that's what he desires the most.

Nero Horse
23rd June 2014, 17:37
I have never been a big fan of him but after seeing the heart he puts into his driving I feel he deserves those titles however(un-emotionally) I do not believe that Ferrari will help him get them.

I wasn't a fan of him before coming to Ferrari either, quite the opposite actually, but I certainly respect him a lot now, and I really hope that he can win at least one title with Ferrari, there's no doubt that he deserves it.

Ed Harley
23rd June 2014, 17:45
Um, I don't see why MM would suddenly get mad and fight with Pat Fry. This is not exactly our worst race since MM took over. Why would MM get mad now when we finished P5, a much better result than some races in the past.
Perhaps Mr Mattiacci looks further than a single P5 result.

Hornet
23rd June 2014, 18:10
Perhaps Mr Mattiacci looks further than a single P5 result.

Well it proves that we are making some progress, or at the very least not going backwards. That P5 may just be a P5, but it's not any new bad news, as we've seen worse. Of course P5 is not what we want, and I'm aware that Kimi had voice his dissatisfaction with our lack of performance on the radio, but my point is this isn't any worse than what we've seen in the past. So why would MM suddenly get mad.

Ed Harley
23rd June 2014, 18:19
P5 and P10 is not progress if same problems/mistakes are repeated.

When asked how much of a step forward Ferrari had made since the start of the 2014 F1 campaign, Raikkonen said: "I think we are more or less in the same place.

What is direct addressing for one may be mad exchange of words for another. IMHO anything that is needed to get the message through is OK.

paneristi
24th June 2014, 09:30
at least MM doesn't just do the PR job and asks people to stay calm without making any progress (for 5 years) like the previous one

Greig
24th June 2014, 12:14
at least MM doesn't just do the PR job and asks people to stay calm without making any progress (for 5 years) like the previous one

Bit early to say either way since we have seen nothing change.