PDA

View Full Version : Legendary designer Forghieri slams 'ri-di-cu-lous' DRS

vcs316
15th July 2014, 11:28
Legendary Ferrari designer Mauro Forghieri has a couple of simple suggestions to spice up formula one. Amid a dwindling television audience in 2014, most of the blame has fallen on the brand new engine rules, with smaller, quiet turbos replacing the screaming V8s of the past. But Forghieri, a leading figure at the fabled Maranello team from the 60s to the 80s, actually backs the new 'hybrid' age.

"All the major manufacturers want hybrids, and I think it's good that they only need 70 per cent of the fuel of the past, or even less, for the same distance," he told motorline.cc. "Where I cannot agree with the FIA is the monitoring of fuel consumption lap after lap," the 79-year-old, who designed the legendary 312 series and Niki Lauda's title-winning cars, added. "In my very personal opinion, formula one is a show of power and so this rule is unacceptable from a sporting perspective."

Unsurprisingly, Forghieri is also no fan of the rear wing overtaking aid called 'DRS', which has been similarly denounced by other F1 purists. "Get rid of the DRS," he exclaimed. "DRS is ri-di-cu-lous," he emphasised. I dislike the whole aerodynamics of the current cars -- I don't understand why it is not reduced in order to allow normal overtaking without DRS."

"Now, if one's opponent is less than a second behind, he can only watch as his pursuer goes past -- and that cannot be correct. A world champion needs to be in a position to overtake his opponent without help -- otherwise, in my eyes, he is not a world champion," Forghieri insisted.

He said another rule change that would improve the racing is in the area of braking. "How many road cars use discs made of carbon?" he asked rhetorically. "So why is it used in formula one? If we would use normal discs in F1, the braking distances would be double and overtaking would be so much easier." (GMM)

ARUN M KARUNAN
15th July 2014, 11:50
thinking in this way its sounds good.But not fully covienced!

Nova
15th July 2014, 12:11
I loved his cars and I agree with him. The aero, the DRS. Not sure about the brakes thou.
Love the line:

"Now, if one's opponent is less than a second behind, he can only watch as his pursuer goes past -- and that cannot be correct. A world champion needs to be in a position to overtake his opponent without help -- otherwise, in my eyes, he is not a world champion," Forghieri insisted.

Majki2111
15th July 2014, 12:18
Hey aero must stay like this

aroutis
15th July 2014, 13:11
No , aero needs to be reduced. He's right on the spot, and DRS needs to go. As for CF breaks, I am not too sure bout that, there's security to be concerned there.

The Architect
15th July 2014, 13:35
Forghieri is spot on, I can't agree more with him. DRS passing is just not right and F1 should be a show of power - it always has been until very recently.

Kiwi Nick
15th July 2014, 14:50
Aero should be restricted. Single element front and rear wings, no DRS. No flow conditioners, flip ups, monkey seats, barge boards, or other projections from the body of the car.

As for brakes, go back to steel. If you really want to reduce cost, go with steel discs. According to F1.com, "So good are the brakes that the regulations deliberately discourage development through restrictions on materials or design, to prevent even shorter braking distances rendering overtaking all but impossible." So why not go back to steel and allow some development that might make its way into the cars we drive on the road. A set of carbon composite brakes cost more than my car, so they're not really a choice. Especially since much of the braking is done by the ERS. He is right, the braking zones are so short that overtaking is very difficult.

As for lifting the flow rate restriction, absolutely get rid of it. Those little engines will make 1000hp if they are not flow restricted. That will make the show much better.

Ed Harley
15th July 2014, 15:30
More mechanical grip, less aero gimmicks, no DRS, refuelling back for different strategy possibilities, scrap the ridiculous 'must use both compounds'-policy and in general less electronics.

Oh yes, no more Tilke-tracks, please.

PURE PASSION
15th July 2014, 15:35
Can I make a silly suggestion?
Why don't cover the wheels in a way to allow contact without afraid to damage the suspension!!! The only problems with open wheels is that they don't forgive aggressive contacts so drivers often back of if they are not too sure for their passing move.What if we have something like red bull x1 with a good protection on the bodywork?

Nova
15th July 2014, 16:13
No , aero needs to be reduced. He's right on the spot, and DRS needs to go. As for CF breaks, I am not too sure bout that, there's security to be concerned there.

This AM someone posted some vids of Shumi vs Hakkinen. I loved how the cars looked, not to mention their infamous duels. In those days, wasnt mech grip as important as aero? Anyway, the cars looked fantastic, and they sounded better than they looked. Whats wrong with those rules? To me, thats how F1 cars look, or should look.

aroutis
15th July 2014, 16:21
This AM someone posted some vids of Shumi vs Hakkinen. I loved how the cars looked, not to mention their infamous duels. In those days, wasnt mech grip as important as aero? Anyway, the cars looked fantastic, and they sounded better than they looked. Whats wrong with those rules? To me, thats how F1 cars look, or should look.
I know what you say and surely Aero was not as important as it is now.

Hornet
15th July 2014, 17:06

Aero was important back then as well, even if the designs were more simplified than what they were in 2009. But the effect of aero on the car's performance is as huge if not more due to the more aggressive diffuser, more efficient rear wing, etc. Adrian Newey was working on the blown diffuser concept when he was at McLaren, only to stop at the demand of Mercedes who wanted the periscope exhaust. But that goes to show how important aero was back then.

Without aero downforce, F1 cars cannot achieve the kind of speed they have been doing ever since someone had the idea to bolt on a wing to a car. There's not much you can do with mechanical grip alone. Allow aggressive weight shifting to improve grip? Aero downforce could easily produce the force of several times that of the car's entire weight.

Nova
16th July 2014, 02:04
Good post Hornet..yes I know how important aero was then, but I liked the way they achieved the objectives
in those days as compared to the way they do it now. Screaming engines, big wings, lottsa fuel n fat tires..as compared to teeny tires, small wings n burbly cute little spec engines running economy races. Theres more real racing on Top Gear.

REDARMYSOJA
16th July 2014, 02:37
Can I make a silly suggestion?
Why don't cover the wheels in a way to allow contact without afraid to damage the suspension!!! The only problems with open wheels is that they don't forgive aggressive contacts so drivers often back of if they are not too sure for their passing move.What if we have something like red bull x1 with a good protection on the bodywork?

No.

Alesi1
16th July 2014, 10:00
Agree. Overtaking shoud be like a goal in soccer, earnt! This isn't scalextrix.

Also it is enjoyable seeing the art of defending a position, we rarely experience that anymore. DRS should go

ManFromMilan
16th July 2014, 10:18
DRS should go

DRS is not the problem. It only assists the driver that are faster to be able to pass.

Just think back to Rosberg and Hamilton in Bahrain. He could catch Hamilton, but not pass him. Cars was to evenly matched and the lead car did not make a mistake that DRS was not instrumental in the outcome of the race.

Hornet
16th July 2014, 10:19
DRS is not the problem. It only assists the driver that are faster to be able to pass.

Just think back to Rosberg and Hamilton in Bahrain. He could catch Hamilton, but not pass him. Cars was to evenly matched and the lead car did not make a mistake that DRS was not instrumental in the outcome of the race.

That's a very good point. If DRS was as easy as what people make it out to be, Rosberg would easily pass Lewis with it.

DRS is meant to remove the barrier that prevents a faster car from overtaking.

ManFromMilan
16th July 2014, 10:25
DRS is meant to remove the barrier that prevents a faster car from overtaking.

I think it is to insure that Alonso is never again stuck behind Petrov in a faster Ferrari and not being able to overtake him.;-)

Majki2111
16th July 2014, 10:52
Why you hate aero? More aero more new items on the car to see, mor inovations and more chance of car with bad engine to be competitive?

Senna4Ever
16th July 2014, 11:00
Other way around: with DRS available earlier we would have at least 1 title more ...
I don't have the impression we are overwhelmed with overtaking since DRS is introduced. DRS hasn't changed the picture and picking order of F1 in any way ... or maybe I missed the race where a Caterham or a Sauber mixed up the crowd. Also teams have already reacted on DRS by setting up the additional electrical power ... just look where Bottas or Alonso overtoock the most of the guys ...

And based on the way stewarts have been judged incidents I don't think any driver was willing to try more.