PDA

View Full Version : 2014 compared with previous seasons

Alesi1
19th July 2014, 14:58
Hoping not to be too negative, but how do we perceive this season as compared to those of the past in terms of upright performance for Ferrari ? Reliability obviously Is pretty good, but I think that our speed is probably the worst I've seen since the dreadful 1992 season. Even in 2011 we won a race on merit, and 2012 we won races. This is the longest winless streak since 90-94 4 years without a win.

I've calculated that with the old points system we would have 17 points as a team and all would belong to Alonso. Kimi would have zero points, crazy.

In the dsaster that was 1992, after 10 races we had 15 points, only 2 less than ths year! Food for thought?
I think the new points system saves teams from embarassment, really and a point tally of 17 would be putting even more heat on our team.

I wonder in that year, how many point finishes did we lose because of unreliability? How would we compare? Perhaps this is really our worst year ever in terms of speed/ performance?

shamim179
19th July 2014, 16:53
This year is a terrible year for us:

1. So much hoo haa about our PU but it ends up the worst

2. Sudden resignation of Stefano

3. Lots of reshuffling

4. Appointment of Mattiacci with zero F1 experience a high risk gamble

5. Allison although optimistic raises concerns

6. A sizeable number of teams seem to develop faster than us

7. Torro Rosso within striking distance from us

8. Stuck with Kimi for another year. We didn't sign him on to perform like this. Would look incredibly incompetent of us if we paid him again to leave a second time.

9. Signs of desperation of trying to retain Alonso. He really is bigger than the team as it stands. Replace him with another driver who scores as many points as Kimi and we'd be way down on the WCC.

F1NAC
19th July 2014, 20:39
this year is the worst for us in this century. And i thought that it can't be worse than 2009 but it is. Really sad with this underpreforming Ferrari

andone89
19th July 2014, 21:32
So currently Kimi has 19 points and Alonso has 87 points. like WOW. Alonso has like 4x more points than Kimi in middle of the season. It's not like it's one odd race or smth. Kimi has just been shut down by Alo. One would wonder why Alo would want to drive with this **** box that this Ferrari has been for.... well.. I think it's fair to say that Ferrari hasn't had the fastest car since Schumacher drove the red prancing horse. Even though Alo came close to winning a WCC 2 times with a bad car(compared to the red bulls) and Kimi winning the last WCC Ferrari has had in 2008, 1 would say that Ferrari hasn't had the fastest car since 2004. So it has been 10 years... I do not know what Ferrari should to do bounce back from this disaster they have created with the beloved engine formula F14-T **** box.
:-(:-(:-(

F2008
19th July 2014, 23:44
Definitely one of the worst seasons ever in terms of car performance. The 2009 car was actually quite decent in my view once they got to Europe. I would go back to 1991-1993 when Prost called the Ferrari a truck and 1980-1981 when we had a Canadian Alonso to save the day.

WS6TransAm01
19th July 2014, 23:50
We only won one race in 2009. We shall see at the end of this year maybe Kimi can pull off another miricle in Spa... :-/

Alesi1
20th July 2014, 01:10
I guess te only thing on our defense this year, is that f1 is more contrived and fake than ever, in that you cannot make any major changes to Improve your situation. So if you have mucked up in January, you are stuffed for 12 months. Let's be honest anyone can make a mess, it's just not right that you can be made to suffer for so long as a consequence of errors made earlier. I think f1 needs to rethink these fixed rules, no good for the show or th sport. Let those who can't afford to be there go home.

In addition, I think tombazis is clueless with the new aero formula which came in in 2009, with big rear wings etc. no doubt his quality in the pre2009 stuff but his cars have been ordinary at best since, deficiency masked by our decent engine over the period.

FFFerrari
20th July 2014, 16:37
Indeed, this year seems even worse than 2009. Mercs are head and shoulders above everyone else and even after that we are in the middle of the pack, not behind the leaders. Fernando won't end up in the top 4 in WDC when the season is over, and as a team I'm really afraid that we won't be in the top 3 in WCC. Of course all of this can still change, but I think the focus is already in the 2015 car (and PU) and this year is just biting the pillow and hoping that Fernando can make some more miracles.

Kyss4k
20th July 2014, 16:58
Well, it's the worst year that I "went through". I was not there in the dark age, so I can't really compare.

Hornet
20th July 2014, 17:49
I don't think the car is really as bad as what it may seem. I mean yeah, it's not a winning car, but still somehow it was a car that allowed Alonso to have some remarkable racing albeit not for the win. In the past, there were depressing races where we would watch other cars just pass us and we cannot do anything about it. Not what we're seeing recently though, Alonso has been able to put up plenty of fights, and he's enjoying it.

Alonso actually rate today's race as the best he has had this season. He sounds like he's enjoying himself on track. While we still cannot challenge the Merc, (no one can either) we're able to fight with the rest. All of this leads me to believe that the car isn't the worse we've had in recent years.

“Fifth place is absolutely the maximum today,” said Alonso afterwards, “and very pleased, very happy probably as Austria was the best race so far in the season for me, and now probably this one.
“Daniel fought very good, a lot of respect, always very clean, and I enjoy”.

https://www.f1plus.com/en/news/item/6335-contrasting-fortunes-for-the-two-ferrari-drivers

I think the biggest problem was that many of us (including myself) put a lot of hope into this year's power unit believing that this is Ferrari's strength and we will turn things around. Unfortunately that did not happen, and so many are left disappointed. I do think we have an okay if not good car, minus a good power unit.

Kyss4k
20th July 2014, 20:37
We can not fight Williams either and we are only just able to push RB. And only in some parts of races.

I would be disappointed even if our PU was the best and the rest of the car was a complete mess. It's not about that we expected us to just make a great engine (which we should obviously), but a great car all around. It looked like everything was going well. Wind tunnel up and running, new strong guys in the team, top notch driver line up, rules making F1 less dependent on aero, new engines,...

Nobody (not just fans) expected Ferrari to fail so horribly. Even when the pre season testing people were coming with crazy theories that Ferrari is doing actually fast laps but with different starting point, or that we are running higher fuel, that we are getting new nose... Even remember people laughing to guys believening that Ferrari is actually 2 secs per lap slower than Merc and were telling them that they are nuts.

Everything was looking good. Everyone believed as there was no reason not to.

Greig
20th July 2014, 20:54
Decent season for us so far, off course I don't expect a winning season every year as I realise how hard that would be for any team let alone a small team like Ferrari, still we punch high and remain a top team which is great to see.