PDA

View Full Version : Montezemolo to be ousted?

Ealdfrith
4th August 2014, 22:32
I had heard the rumours before, but never seen them in print:

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/montezemolo-esce-dal-cda-della-fiat-chrysler-che-fine-fara-la-ferrari/

Do you think Matiacci would be a fitting replacement for Luca? Or it would be better to have a heavier weight (F1 experience wise) like Brawn or Briatore?

Prancing Bear
4th August 2014, 23:07
Would he get sacked soley because the F1 division being down, when the road car division is doing so well???

REDARMYSOJA
4th August 2014, 23:31
Luca is not getting fired. End of story.

Kiwi Nick
5th August 2014, 00:53
Hard to say if this is true, but the aristocratic Montezemelo is the antithesis in style of Sergio Marchionne. And, Montezemolo is of an age when it would be expected that he spend his time pursuing family matters.

Samcar222
5th August 2014, 02:10
LdM isn't going anywhere. Nothing to see, move along...

fratelliferrari
5th August 2014, 05:23

:thumb

DJTaurus
5th August 2014, 06:14
fiat gruppo is doing better than ever. Each quarter they achieve record revenues for Ferrari, Maserati, fiat, Alfa Romeo and Chrysler. Also Luca is part of Ferraris history not someone chosen from board of directors. Luca will only leave when john elkann is ready to take the lead. No point on this thread.

Sab_g
5th August 2014, 10:20
Would he get sacked soley because the F1 division being down, when the road car division is doing so well???

Exactly! As painful as it is to see the f1 team doing poorly, the company as a whole is doing fantastic

Rob
5th August 2014, 16:34
I had heard the rumours before, but never seen them in print:

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/montezemolo-esce-dal-cda-della-fiat-chrysler-che-fine-fara-la-ferrari/

Do you think Matiacci would be a fitting replacement for Luca? Or it would be better to have a heavier weight (F1 experience wise) like Brawn or Briatore?

Pretty much the same what was written in this months F1 Racing Magazine. :-!

Been rumours for ages, but, lets face it, Luca has done alot, i mean alot for the "brand" Ferrari over the decades. He will need replacing, but not yet. And could be Andrea Agnelli.

aroutis
5th August 2014, 20:39
No way....

Stormy
5th August 2014, 23:33
Luca will leave only if he choose to leave.

Brembo
6th August 2014, 01:23
IMO he will only leave Ferrari if he can take over Silvio Burlusconi's Prime Minister position, which for the most part is the same as being the President.

vcs316
6th August 2014, 11:39
Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, chairman of Ferrari, was absent from the recent board meeting (August 1st) which approved the full merger of the FIAT-Chrysler companies. The board requested share holder approval which has now been granted.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange with an additional listing on the Mercato Telematico Azionario in Milan to follow.

untitledIt was way back in 1899 when Giovanni Agnelli, with several co-investors, founded the Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (FIAT). They built a range of motorised vehicles and during the second world war Fiat provided military equipment and vehicles for both the Army and Regia Aeronautica – and also for the Germans.

When Mussolini was overthrown in 1943, the National Liberation Committee forcibly removed the Agnelli family from Fiat because of their association with the former Italian fascist ruler.

Gianni Agnelli wrested FIAT back for the Agnelli family in 1963 and in 1969 the Agnelli and Ferrari families became inextricably united, as FIAT bought 50% of Ferrari.

Enzo Ferrari, recruited a young and dashing Montezemolo as his assistant team manager in 1974. 3 years later, Luca left to run the Italian America’s Cup entry, then managed Cinzano for a while and was an important member of the Italia 90 World Cup Organisation.

Yet during this time he retained a close relationship with the Agnelli family.

In November 1991, Gianni Agnelli appointed Montezemolo as president of Ferrari, whose F1 racing team had lost its way since the death of Enzo. Luca made it his obsession to return Ferrari to its former glory and dominate the Formula 1 scene.

This culminated in unprecedented domination of the sport by one team, following Montezemolo’s decisions to co-opt Austrian Niki Lauda as a consultant, Frenchman Jean Todt, Englishman Ross Brawn and others to bring about the turnaround.

Ferrari won the F1 constructors’ title in 1999, the first time for 16 years and the following year Michael Schumacher took the first F1 drivers’ title for the Scuderia since 1979.

Luca’s loyalty and commitment to the Ferrari cause, elevated him to full blown Agnelli/Ferrari family member and his power base was strong. He was promoted to Chairman of the entire FIAT group in 2004,

FIAT at this time was in a mess and at the same time as Luca’s appointment, Sergio Marchionne was recruited as CEO of Fiat and the impact of his leadership was evident fairly quickly.

untitledHe and Luca worked together on the resuscitation project, Montezemolo handled the politicians and the unions, while the commercially astute Marchionne slashed the managerial bureaucracy and focused the business on markets and profit.

Marchionne was the antithesis of an Agnelli/Ferrari leader. His style of management was to deal directly with lower echelon managers and was reportedly horrified when he joined the group to discover the practice of other executives was to communicate with each other through their secretaries.

By quarter three in 2006, the group had delivered a profit of €196M for the year, the first in over 4 years.

Meantime, Luca was now at the zenith of his powers. He had an adoring following amongst the Tifosi and had cheered the hearts of Italian’s home and abroad with the F1 domination of the red team for over half a decade.

untitledMontezemolo’s relationships with the leading Italian politicians had enhanced his circle of influence outside of FIAT and he began to display aspirations of even more nationalistic importance in politics full time.

Under Marchionne’s leadership, FIAT was steaming ahead and regained a foothold in large automotive consumer markets previously lost, Mexico and Australia. Further, the Italian automaker entered into a joint venture in China

Fiat also returned to Canadian and American markets with the new 500 and Marchionne announced in 2008 that to survive, FIAT must become a top 5 global automotive player.

Marchionne saw an opportunity to buy into the bankrupt Chrysler and improve FIAT’s reach even further.

The deal done by Marchionne saw FIAT take a 20% stake in exchange for providing Chrysler with technology platforms to build smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles in the US and providing reciprocal access to Fiat’s global distribution network.

Marchionne set about reorganising Chrysler, which saw the American company adopt a structure similar to that of Fiat and facilitated the released, in quick succession, of a large number of redesigned or refreshed vehicles.

The cost was minimal. Chrysler plants were simply re-tooled to produce FIAT models for the US and FIAT delivered engine and transmission technology to enable Chrysler to produce the range of new cars.

Luca in the meantime was focused on schmoozing the Italian ruling classes and engaging in big F1 politikiting. He threatened to withdraw Ferrari from Formula 1 and this all meant his eyes were now firmly off the ball when it came to matters of the FIAT group.

Relations between Montezemolo and Marchionne deteriorated, and the FIAT CEO engineered it amongst the shareholders to see Luca was replaced as Group president in 2010, by John Elkann, the grandson of Gianni Agnelli.

Elkann was raised in the US, and is a savvy and shrewd operator.

A short time later the full impact of the global financial crash and the disastrous state of the Italian economy saw the replacement of the Italian political top jobs by Euro Technocrats. This all but ended Montezemolo’s opportunity for high office.

So it is no surprise, that quietly on August 1st 2014, Luca Montezemolo became no longer an officer of the FIAT group. All the ‘old guard’ have left the business, and Luca’s favour with the two great families of Turin, no longer has much value.

It is reported at that meeting, Marchionne was dismissive of Ferrari Road Car divisions present performance. and he sneered that Maserati were making more money than the prancing horse. Ferrari has in the past made big profits, though much of this is derived from brand and imaging rights.

The FIAT board earlier this year, split out from Ferrari the imaging royalties, moving them overseas, apparently for tax purposes. The obvious effect will lay bare the truth in the next year end accounts of Ferrari’s financial performance in production and the racing arena’s.

It is worthy of note, that Marco Mattiacci is a long standing friend of John Elkann, and a commercial operator much after the heart of Sergio Marchionne.

Mattiaci today says he wants to replace Ferrari’s 4 year old $6m simulator which he believes to be outdated. Marco will see the Ferrari improve in their off track simulation efforts and CFD, which of course flies in the face of Montezemolo’s persistent demands for ‘the old ways’ involving more track testing time.

Luca has been cutting an ever increasingly lonely figure, as those with the real power behind the FIAT empire.

On August 1st, 2014, the Abu Dhabi based UAEnational airline Eithad Airways confirmed it had agreed to terms with Alitalia, taking a 49% stake in the Italian airline. This deal will be signed and finalized on August 8, 2014.

Current rumours in Italy suggest a certain Luca Cordero di Montezemolo will be the new CEO announced on August 8th. This appears strange, as it would be perceived to be a massive demotion, for the man who is still held dear in the hearts of many Italians.

Yet, whether now or soon, the adopted son of the Agnelli’s, is watching his power at Ferrari, drain from between his fingers.

http://thejudge13.com/2014/08/05/f1-features-the-family-losing-its-grip-on-ferrari/

hogo
6th August 2014, 12:49
lol at this article, they started with some facts, then made some rubbish up, and finally finished everything with a rumour. Here ya go folks, they call it "journalism"!

Edit: checked the link, pictures clearly show anti LDM attitude there. Meh shoudln't have wasted time reading this.

Kiwi Nick
6th August 2014, 14:36
Time has passed LDM by.

eddie
6th August 2014, 15:38
Luca will leave only if he choose to leave.

Very much agree... A man with his credentials.... it shall be LDM's choice

REDARMYSOJA
8th August 2014, 14:26
IMO he will only leave Ferrari if he can take over Silvio Burlusconi's Prime Minister position, which for the most part is the same as being the President.

You do know that Berlusconi is no longer Prime Minister, don't you?

Ed Harley
8th August 2014, 15:30
There are rumours/news that LdM would be heading to Etihad-Alitalia:

http://www.affaritaliani.it/economia/alitalia-esclusivo-montezemolo0708.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.affaritaliani.it%2Feconomia%2Fa litalia-esclusivo-montezemolo0708.html&edit-text=&act=url

Remains to be seen how accurate this is.

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 16:50
Looks like the part about the airlines is accurate, so far.

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 16:56
MARANELLO (Italy)-Luca Cordero di Montezemolo could soon no longer be the President of Ferrari. The indiscretion comes from the website Affaritaliani.it that her new role will be to number one by Alitalia-Etihad, the product of the merger of the Italian airline air with Arab carrier led by James Hogan.

The agreement on the rescue of Alitalia with Etihad Airways has been reached, says the site. At this time the company's Chief Executive James Hogan of the United Arab Emirates is expected to hold a press conference to explain the points of marriage.

A key role in the negotiation was done by Ferrari President Luca Cordero di Montezemolo who might leave the prancing horse where the President from 1991 (he collected 14 titles in Formula 1 Gladden) to make room for John Elkann.

http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/804069/Montezemolo-addio-alla-Ferrari-per-Alitalia-Etihad/

wisepie
8th August 2014, 17:18
I really worry that Ferrari's Italian heritage will be come more and more diluted as the years pass, like everything else in the world nowadays all of our nationalistic traits are being swallowed up in the name of integration. Sad but inevitable, and if the American-Italians completely take over our beloved team, it will no longer be what Enzo created.

REDARMYSOJA
8th August 2014, 17:21
This is just more of the same rumor. If Luca leaves Ferrari I will eat my keyboard.

Suzie
8th August 2014, 17:25
It does seem to be gathering steam though. It'd be interesting to see how Ferrari would get on with someone new at the helm, especially after Aldo Costa's comments...

Hornet
8th August 2014, 17:28
Marco gets promoted to Luca's place, and Ross Brawn will be the new team principal :-G

Just kidding. I'll believe it when I see it. Can't understand why would Luca DM wants to run an airline company though.

kiwifella
8th August 2014, 17:29
This is just more of the same rumor. If Luca leaves Ferrari I will eat my keyboard.

Then I guess you'll be eating your keyboard

REDARMYSOJA
8th August 2014, 17:33
Then I guess you'll be eating your keyboard

Well, someday, yeah, but not this time.

Ed Harley
8th August 2014, 17:36
Well, someday, yeah, but not this time.
Salt and pepper, just in case? :Hmm

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 17:38
Can't understand why would Luca DM wants to run an airline company though.

To emulate Lauda!

gjoko-mkd
8th August 2014, 19:37
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuiHRhzCIAAk9_P.jpg

crbassassin
8th August 2014, 19:55
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/497786771481300992

TonyRizza
8th August 2014, 20:21
better submit my application now then, anyone want to give me a good reference? :-D

DJTaurus
8th August 2014, 20:37
Its not official yet but as i said in my previous post IF LUCA will decide to leave, then John Elkann (grandson of Gianni Agnelli and president of Fiat S.p.A./FCA and Exor S.p.A.) will take his role. As i also said Ferrari is on top of profitability among all car manufacturers (highest profit margins) with record revenues quarter by quarter and believe me F1 success is not so important for them... it is also known that if FIA wont change the rules (testing through the season and technical freedom on design and upgrades) they are seriously considering an F1 exit while Gestione Sportiva will continue only with 24h of Les Man. If Luca decides to be the new president of Alitalia he will probably take a hononary president role (less active) in Ferrari. Luca played a key role in Alitalias 49% buyout from Etihad.... Alitalia wants to be a key player in Europe flights (also increase its flights to US) and compete in highest level with Lufthansa,Air France-KLMa andBritish

mirafiori
8th August 2014, 21:58
Don't forget Luca is one of the key people for Italo trains. This is a private high speed rail service in Italy, costing Billions of pounds to set up, so Luca is not just tied up with Ferrari, if Luca does decide to take up another role then good for him, he would leave Ferrari in a fantastic position.

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 23:05
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/497786771481300992

If Scarbs says it's true...

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 23:11
One of the tweets on Scarbs site says that LDM leaving is a condition of Alonso resigning with Ferrari. Could be true. If so, good or bad news?

REDARMYSOJA
9th August 2014, 00:06
One of the tweets on Scarbs site says that LDM leaving is a condition of Alonso resigning with Ferrari. Could be true. If so, good or bad news?

No, someone asked if it is a condition for Alonso to resign.

You all know, don't you, that Luca was asked about this over a month ago and denied any truth in it?

(Reuters) Thu Jun 19, 2014 - Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo has dismissed press speculation that he could become the next chairman of ailing airline Alitalia once it is rescued by Gulf-based Etihad Airways.

"For me there is only Ferrari, to which I am very committed, so this is something that does not exist," Montezemolo told journalists on the sidelines of an event on Thursday.

Several Italian newspapers had reported Montezemolo was a candidate to become chairman of Alitalia.

LINK>> Ferrari chairman dismisses talk of Alitalia job (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/19/us-ferrari-alitalia-idUSKBN0EU0YV20140619)

Stebandelareina
9th August 2014, 01:55

With the due respect, that's the stupidest theory of the entire season.

Kingdom Hearts
9th August 2014, 03:23

You go to far with your dislike of Fernando.

Brembo
9th August 2014, 04:15
You do know that Berlusconi is no longer Prime Minister, don't you?

Yes I do. His recent crininal charges were dismissed. He want's to get back in. Anyway, Burlusconi being out is why I thought Luca is entertaining the thought.

Brembo
9th August 2014, 04:38
I really worry that Ferrari's Italian heritage will be come more and more diluted as the years pass, like everything else in the world nowadays all of our nationalistic traits are being swallowed up in the name of integration. Sad but inevitable, and if the American-Italians completely take over our beloved team, it will no longer be what Enzo created.

Wisepie, remember Briatori is a true Italian! And super smart as far as F1 goes. Now some fans regard that as sad but inevetable, I for one would give him the position @ Ferrari starting yesterday. Also by the way, where have all the Italian Ferrari drivers gone? Even Bianchi would be to use your words," Diluted". Pure Felipe ten'e sanghe Italiano, poi, diluted. Who knows how many nuts and bolt holding our car together are made in Japan? We don't even use an Italian wind tunnel! Wait! Let me go check Kimi's family tree, who knows, maybe he's 1/2 Napolitano?

Hermann
9th August 2014, 10:46

The question is more if Fernando will stay when Monte leaves. Maybe the new boss will have other ideas.

Ed Harley
9th August 2014, 13:54
... Let me go check Kimi's family tree, who knows, maybe he's 1/2 Napolitano?
His parents are Paula and late Matti Räikkönen.

Rob
9th August 2014, 14:18
Well, these romours are not going away. I, for one, dont want it to be true. But, if so, im sure it will be for the best and who evertakes charge be best for the job and the future of Ferrari.

Suzie
9th August 2014, 14:30
With the due respect, that's the stupidest theory of the entire season.

Even if that were true, if a driver had the power to oust the President of Ferrari, I'd suggest that driver has far too much sway in the team.

Nand0Nand0
9th August 2014, 16:23
Either ...

The Arabs love Luca - Ferrari world blah blah - and part of the deal of investing in Alitalia is having Luca there. Luca's trying to satisfy them with some non-operational head role there whilst staying as President of Ferrari.

Or ...

Fiat want to separate Ferrari out of the Fiat Chrysler new corporate entity listing and they are restructuring, including the top guys because all Elkann can do is be a super playboy ;-)

wisepie
9th August 2014, 17:14
Wisepie, remember Briatori is a true Italian! And super smart as far as F1 goes. Now some fans regard that as sad but inevetable, I for one would give him the position @ Ferrari starting yesterday. Also by the way, where have all the Italian Ferrari drivers gone? Even Bianchi would be to use your words," Diluted". Pure Felipe ten'e sanghe Italiano, poi, diluted. Who knows how many nuts and bolt holding our car together are made in Japan? We don't even use an Italian wind tunnel! Wait! Let me go check Kimi's family tree, who knows, maybe he's 1/2 Napolitano?
Dio mio, Brembo, now you're trying to confuse me. Briatore is not my type of Italian, I don't trust him but then I'm not sure I'd trust any of them any more!! It would be a dream for me to see an Italian driver line-up at Ferrari but I have to be realistic and accept that it's a big world and nationalistic traits are being lost everywhere, which is a crying shame. Glad to see you're still using dialetto napolitano, amico mio, so all is not lost....and I don't have any Italian in me and I'm sure Kimi doesn't either! Bianchi may have an Italian name but technically he's French, but at least it's close! What about Valsecchi and others who were in the mix at one point? We need Latin passion to rule!

Ste
10th August 2014, 12:32
Unconfirmed reports floating around Twitter this morning that Montezemolo has left Ferrari.

Kiwi Nick
10th August 2014, 12:43
Unconfirmed tweets....highly reliable. :Hmm

Rob
10th August 2014, 13:25
Montezemolo choose to stay at Ferrari.

To the President of Cavallino only a non-executive role in Alihad, after contributing to the negotiations
August 9, 2014 09:27 Montezemolo choose to stay at Ferrari.

Luca di Montezemolo, Ferrari chooses. President has no intention of leaving Maranello. E 'for this reason that, even if it was the man who wove the threads of negotiation between Etihad and Alitalia , will not be the president of Aliha d, the new airline than with a non-executive role that does not conflict with assignments to the Prancing Horse.

They seem to deflate, then, rumors of an abandonment of the "Presidentissimo" ("there is the Ferrari immediately after my family") and the inauguration of John Elkann at the top of the flagship brands controlled by the Group FCA. Luca di Montezemolo, in short, is still in the saddle at the Cavallino also because the economic indicators say it could close 2014 with another record profit, very close to 400 million euro, although production remains deliberately contigentata in defense of exclusivity and maintaining the price of Rosse used.

A strategy that is paying off: the only disappointments come from Formula 1, where Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen are forced to play a role of supporting actors with a F14 T that was not matched expectations. And in Reparto Corse President has appointed Marco Mattiacci the task of rebuilding a winning team after the release of Stefano Domenicali .

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40699/f1-montezemolo-sceglie-di-restare-alla-ferrari

Ed Harley
10th August 2014, 13:40
Instead of hyperventilating to one direction or another one usually only needs to lean back and see how things turn out - like this one. :-)

I do predict a turn or two in this play still. :Hmm

wisepie
10th August 2014, 16:56
I'm now expecting Ferrari to be sporting Alitalia logos in the same way as Lancia used to, and I don't object to that, after all we had Etihad on the rear wing a few years ago. I'm sure LdM wouldn't want to leave Enzo's baby completely, it must be in his blood, just like ours.

vcs316
11th August 2014, 08:03
Luca di Montezemolo has rejected claims he could be set to quit his post as Ferrari president. Reports late last week suggested the Maranello marque's long-time and colourful figurehead had decided to leave Ferrari in order to lead the Italian national airline Alitalia.

Alitalia chief executive Gabriele Del Torchio told the Corriere della Sera newspaper last week he was ready to leave the airline in the wake of a rescue deal with Abu Dhabi's Etihad. Etihad, buying nearly half of Alitalia, has solid links to formula one and Montezemolo, including having sponsored the fabled Italian team.

According to Spain's El Mundo Deportivo, however, Montezemolo rejected the speculation on the basis that "after my family, there is nothing more important than Ferrari". But the same report claimed Montezemolo had been "instrumental" in the Alitalia-Etihad merger, and is not ruling out joining the board with a non-executive role that "does not interfere" with his responsibilities at Ferrari. (GMM)

racingbradley
11th August 2014, 09:04
His parents are Paula and late Matti Räikkönen.

yeah but he does eat Neapolitan ice-cream ;-);-)

Brembo
14th August 2014, 02:16
yeah but he does eat Neapolitan ice-cream ;-);-)

Great question! I'd bet he does. And he probably does a mean " Tarantella" when he's lit up!

Ealdfrith
8th September 2014, 13:41
Some in this thread should be eating their words by now:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/09/we-havent-won-since-2008-writing-on-wall-for-montezemolo-as-fiat-boss-criticises-ferrari-record/

Homan13PSU
8th September 2014, 15:18
Saw a similar article on BBC.

I would say this doesn't bode well for Luca...

If Sergio let's go of him so be it, but can we at least keep Marco aboard? I love what he's done since taking over from Domenicalli.

ALO
8th September 2014, 16:25
ALO says his farewells to Luca, it's confirmed now.

REDARMYSOJA
8th September 2014, 16:34
Well, the day is over in Italy by now. Where is the announcement about Luca getting fired?

Nova
8th September 2014, 16:57
The thought of Ferrari pulling out of F1 are not so far fetched, at least for 1 year
to regroup, rebuild the infrastructure and produce a new car that can compete
with the looney rules the fia has thrown on us. I think it would do more harm
to F1 than it would to Ferrari itself. Of course w/sponsors that could never happen....could it?

Ed Harley
8th September 2014, 17:11
Ferrari will not pull out of F1. But if they would the Bernie-show would go on nevertheless, slightly different show but still.

Kiwi Nick
8th September 2014, 17:19
Reuters, today in their review of Italian business and Italian stocks, has reported Thursday might be the day that Luca is officially cut loose.

"* FIAT

"CEO Sergio Marchionne reiterated on Sunday that a board meeting at the end of next month would discuss capital raising plans after the planned listing of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Wall Street could take place on Oct. 13.

"Marchionne also said it was "absolutely non negotiable" that Ferrari should win in F1 races. He also said that the departure of Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo was "not on the agenda, but no one is indispensable."

"The exit of Montezemolo could happen as soon as next Thurday, (sic) when Ferrari board meets, daily Corriere reported on Monday."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/08/italy-factors-september-idUSL5N0QZ2FQ20140908

REDARMYSOJA
8th September 2014, 17:21
So now it's Thursday?

Nova
8th September 2014, 17:28
And replace him w/who? Who has better served the brand than Luca?
Im sure he only hired the people whom he assumed COULD build
an winning F1 car.

REDARMYSOJA
8th September 2014, 17:36
When you look at the bottom line, which is what shareholders do, you don't really care about winning or losing, just who is lining your pocket. So I think when they look at how Ferrari is faring as opposed to FIAT/Chrysler, it might just be Marchionne who get's sent packing.

eddie
8th September 2014, 17:42
I humbly suggest that FIAT and Ferrari get the act together and stop making rash decisions on letting people go....

We are losing in F1 not because we don't know how to race, its because F1 has evolved too much and I don't really see it as being in tandem with the spirit of Ferrari.

F1 isn't just really F1 anymore if people are asked to save fuel and save tyres and artificial overtaking using DRS....

My humble 2cents.... maybe isn't worth 2 cents...

LdM must stay and see this thru

Nova
8th September 2014, 18:18
I humbly suggest that FIAT and Ferrari get the act together and stop making rash decisions on letting people go....

We are losing in F1 not because we don't know how to race, its because F1 has evolved too much and I don't really see it as being in tandem with the spirit of Ferrari.

F1 isn't just really F1 anymore if people are asked to save fuel and save tyres and artificial overtaking using DRS....

My humble 2cents.... maybe isn't worth 2 cents...

LdM must stay and see this thru

Its not that F1 has evolved too much, it simply evolving in the wrong direction.
F1 current is barely a shadow of its former self. Former being not really that long ago.

Kiwi Nick
8th September 2014, 18:44
The shortcomings of the F1 program are a smoke screen. The real problem is that Marchionne wants to double Ferrari road car production, while Luca does not. When the head of the firm that owns 90% of the company says make more cars and the CEO says "No", there is a problem.

Aberracus
8th September 2014, 20:07
And replace him w/who? Who has better served the brand than Luca?
Im sure he only hired the people whom he assumed COULD build
an winning F1 car.

Well he is the one responsible for Domenicalli staying TP for so long without good results.

And im Sure in point of view that Domenicalli is really one pf the most important factors for our current position.

im sure others will disagree...

Kyss4k
8th September 2014, 20:54
The shortcomings of the F1 program are a smoke screen. The real problem is that Marchionne wants to double Ferrari road car production, while Luca does not. When the head of the firm that owns 90% of the company says make more cars and the CEO says "No", there is a problem.

With Ferrari being the only brand of their group who is doing well... Marchionne should just watch and learn from Ferrari. Alfa is a disgrace lately as is Fiat... Lancia is already dead.

eddie
9th September 2014, 07:06
With Ferrari being the only brand of their group who is doing well... Marchionne should just watch and learn from Ferrari. Alfa is a disgrace lately as is Fiat... Lancia is already dead.

Agree with both you gentlemen. If Ferrari is to increase their car production, they better ensure they can cope.

As a owner of 2 Ferrari cars, I can tell you, their quality and built are terrible.

Nothing compared to Porsche and Lamborghini.

So Ferrari should just stay at their production capacity and improve 1st before trying to get to the next step... Marchionne... pfft!

Stormsearcher
9th September 2014, 08:33
Agree with both you gentlemen. If Ferrari is to increase their car production, they better ensure they can cope.

As a owner of 2 Ferrari cars, I can tell you, their quality and built are terrible.

Nothing compared to Porsche and Lamborghini.

So Ferrari should just stay at their production capacity and improve 1st before trying to get to the next step... Marchionne... pfft!

Wow. The lambos are better built than Ferraris? Porsche.. yes, i can imagine. But was truly surprised by this bit of info.

Kyss4k
9th September 2014, 09:53
Wow. The lambos are better built than Ferraris? Porsche.. yes, i can imagine. But was truly surprised by this bit of info.

Well, Lambo is in VW group, so it's the same as Porsche in that regard. I never knew that Ferrari's build quality is poor though.

Hornet
9th September 2014, 10:01
Have FIAT ever really cared about Ferrari's F1 campaign though? Sounds like Marchionne have an axe to grind with Luca and is just using our F1 result as an excuse.

fratelliferrari
9th September 2014, 10:01
Well, Lambo is in VW group, so it's the same as Porsche in that regard. I never knew that Ferrari's build quality is poor though.

Well I haven't heard that either so Iam not too convinced he's right. He is serious the first person I have heard negative about modern Ferrari cars :Hmm

coolrunnings_99
9th September 2014, 12:07
bye bye Luca, bye bye Fernando, bye bye 2007, hello 1979:lou...this is what we re good at, building top notch racing cars and racing them has been put aside for the past half a decade.
Whenever someone has a self indulging vision of being the reason, rather then consequence, even stranger things can happen:-??

bye cool..

Silent Bob
9th September 2014, 13:15
I think Sergio should stick to fixing Fiat and Chrysler and leave Ferrari alone. They are doing fine without him interfering. Ferrari car's annual production is kept artificially low for a reason. They aren't meant to be mainstream vehicles. Maserati is meant to be their high production sports cars. Ferrari is and has always been about exclusivity. It needs to be special to own a Ferrari. You don't want to see them everywhere.
And their build quality is actually quite good lately. I find them to be put together a lot better than Lambos.

coolrunnings_99
9th September 2014, 13:35
Actually they (road going Ferraris) were there (on the roads) only to pay for the racing bills.
The essence being in racing, racing cars.
Selling cars to the fortunate few, was, ehem, a consequence.
The cause is love of cars and racing.
It can also be called a heritage if one is persistent and passionate enough.
I have yet to see, meet, and know about succes thru persistence in doing something you re not in love with or passionate about.
Passion and love for racing, I get.
Passion and love for making more cars, money, influence I know it exists, but succes in racing tends to ignore the unloving ones.
Similar to italian pasta, meatballs and tomatoes...its the way You cut thru onions, tomatoes, garlic, the way You stir it and love it..thats how good it is.
Not how quickly and how much can You make in between doing something else:-!

mirafiori
9th September 2014, 15:35
I can confirm Thursday could be D-Day for Luca, its all over the news here in Italy, as I have said before Luca is an employee and he maybe paying the price of Ferrari's failure since 2008. Where as Sergio again like Luca is only an employee but since 2008 Sergio has worked wonders for the Fiat group, Sergio has been responsible for the very successfull take over of Chrysler and Fiat is now in a fantastic postion, Chrysler is making Fiat a lot of money and Sergio is Fiat blue eyed boy at the moment for the Fiat bosses. What some of you should remember if it was not for Fiat, Ferrari today would be in foreign hands today. Fiat will always give Ferrari a free hand on how to run the company but the Fiat bosses on Thursday may decide for a change.

Hornet
9th September 2014, 15:47
I can confirm Thursday could be D-Day for Luca, its all over the news here in Italy, as I have said before Luca is an employee and he maybe paying the price of Ferrari's failure since 2008. Where as Sergio again like Luca is only an employee but since 2008 Sergio has worked wonders for the Fiat group, Sergio has been responsible for the very successfull take over of Chrysler and Fiat is now in a fantastic postion, Chrysler is making Fiat a lot of money and Sergio is Fiat blue eyed boy at the moment for the Fiat bosses. What some of you should remember if it was not for Fiat, Ferrari today would be in foreign hands today. Fiat will always give Ferrari a free hand on how to run the company but the Fiat bosses on Thursday may decide for a change.
What failure though? FIAT only cares about the business side of Ferrari, not it's auto racing division

Kiwi Nick
9th September 2014, 16:38
What failure though? FIAT only cares about the business side of Ferrari, not it's auto racing division

This is precisely where the problem lies. There needs to be a large divide between F1 and the road car division of Ferrari. Luca is far too involved with both for that to happen on his watch. He has been at odds with Marchionne for some time, and he has out lived most of his supporters. Marchione, Mattiacci and Elkann are the next generation. And they all have a connection brought about by their North American experience.

I think the theory that Mattiacci is at Ferrari to build the bubble around F1 and then hand it off to a new team principal (Brawn, Bell or ???), before he takes the CEO job at Ferrari and grows the road car division is as good a theory as I have heard. Mattiacci has had a hand in all of Ferrari's most important markets and has been very successful in all of them. He is the right man for the growth of the road car business, but first he needs to tidy up the F1 mess.

eddie
9th September 2014, 17:05

Lamborghini are very Audi these days, the Gallardo used a lot of bits from the R8.

Ferrari road cars in many areas still a joke.... the paintwork, the leatherwork and those cheap plastics....

eddie
9th September 2014, 17:10
Well I haven't heard that either so Iam not too convinced he's right. He is serious the first person I have heard negative about modern Ferrari cars :Hmm

I have a F430 and the interior vents (near the windscreen) broke off after 5 years... cheap plastics. I had to remove the entire dashboard and it was a lot of work to get it replaced.

I also have a F458, carbon trims starting to warp after 2 years... lol, not to be little Ferrari, the carbon fiber trims on my Porsche GT3, still intact and nice after 6 years.

Ferrari is a great super-car but still very far from mass producing them.

eddie
9th September 2014, 17:15

Then my friend, it shall be a dark day for Ferrari.

Whatever wrong LdM has done, he does not deserve to be removed.

Not unless Ferrari can prove thru results not politics that they have a proven successor. Someone that can helm Ferrari better both on the racing front and road cars.

FIAT is playing with fire here if its true....

I would dare to bet Enzo would turn in his grave if this goes south.

eddie
9th September 2014, 17:51
This is getting me excited.... just looked up and took this excerpt from Wikipedia....

On 6 May 2014, FCA announced a five-year plan and a major restructuring among the combined company, with much of the global growth being focused around Jeep, due to its high visibility globally as well as the growing SUV market in developing markets. Chrysler will be re-positioned as the company's mainstream North American brand to compete with Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Volkswagen, while Dodge will focus on performance-based vehicles. Alfa Romeo will become the company's premium marque to compete with Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi, while Maserati will be the company's ultra-luxury brand to compete with Bentley and Rolls-Royce. Fiat (which will remain the company's mainstream brand outside North America), Ram Trucks, and Ferrari will remain largely unchanged, while SRT was merged back into Dodge.[14] Conspicuously absent in the announcement was Lancia, which was later confirmed to be withdrawing from all markets outside Italy, and possibly withdrawn altogether in 2018.[15]

Alfa Romeo to compete with Merc, BMW and Audi while Maserati to be benchmark against Bentley and the mighty Rolls-Royce. Whose doing their marketing.... Someone clearly loss their marbles...

Good luck FCA, you will need them... heaps of it!

Better keep LdM, at least Ferrari will survive.....

mirafiori
9th September 2014, 19:10
I would love Luca to stay at the helm but all good things come to an end, maybe he will be with Ferrari for more years to come, Thursday should be more clear. Whether people like it or not Fiat are the masters and for many years Fiat have left Ferrari alone. It has been 6 years we have not won, how long do we leave this situation of not winning 8 more years, 10 years. Also don't forget last year Luca launched Italo, the world's only private high speed rail service in Italy, trains running at speeds of 250 mph. So yes Luca has done an amazing for Ferrari but he has also been allowed to persue other ambitions.

fratelliferrari
9th September 2014, 20:46
I have a F430 and the interior vents (near the windscreen) broke off after 5 years... cheap plastics. I had to remove the entire dashboard and it was a lot of work to get it replaced.

I also have a F458, carbon trims starting to warp after 2 years... lol, not to be little Ferrari, the carbon fiber trims on my Porsche GT3, still intact and nice after 6 years.

Ferrari is a great super-car but still very far from mass producing them.

Well edie offcourse I believe you but still it's only an opinion of one person. I have seen a lot of videos/documentaries and never heard about the poor built quality. By the way: why do you a VW Beetle with a big spoiler :-P One tip: buy a 360 Challenge Stradale!

abbottcostello
9th September 2014, 21:55
eddie, if I come to Asia I want to borrow a car from you! :rotfl

If Luca gets the squeeze, it will be the dispute over volume. I agree, get the build quality up where an elite supercar should be, then you can talk about ramping up volumes SLIGHTLY, while maintaining exclusivity.
Seems as Marchionne was just waiting for a reason to show Luca the door, unfortunately. Would like to see some progress in F1 area but enough changes have already been made that the wise thing to do now is let MM continue on the course he's chosen!

killer
10th September 2014, 01:06
Actually they (road going Ferraris) were there (on the roads) only to pay for the racing bills.
The essence being in racing, racing cars.
Selling cars to the fortunate few, was, ehem, a consequence.
The cause is love of cars and racing.
It can also be called a heritage if one is persistent and passionate enough.
I have yet to see, meet, and know about succes thru persistence in doing something you re not in love with or passionate about.
Passion and love for racing, I get.
Passion and love for making more cars, money, influence I know it exists, but succes in racing tends to ignore the unloving ones.
Similar to italian pasta, meatballs and tomatoes...its the way You cut thru onions, tomatoes, garlic, the way You stir it and love it..thats how good it is.
Not how quickly and how much can You make in between doing something else:-!

Romance don't pay them bills, no? ;-)

The bitter icing on the cake is how Pierro is made to watch this.

ALO
10th September 2014, 03:31

Watch "how it's made cars" science channel you can clearly see why porsche is best quality, their only rival is Tesla motors.

Brembo
10th September 2014, 03:41

If Luca gets the squeeze, it will be the dispute over volume. I agree, get the build quality up where an elite supercar should be, then you can talk about ramping up volumes SLIGHTLY, while maintaining exclusivity.
Seems as Marchionne was just waiting for a reason to show Luca the door, unfortunately. Would like to see some progress in F1 area but enough changes have already been made that the wise thing to do now is let MM continue on the course he's chosen!

Can Luca get the squeeze, is Marchionne to be the main man? It all boils down to, " Hey Abbott !! Who's on first? ":rotfl Just could'nt help it"

eddie
10th September 2014, 04:08
Well edie offcourse I believe you but still it's only an opinion of one person. I have seen a lot of videos/documentaries and never heard about the poor built quality. By the way: why do you a VW Beetle with a big spoiler :-P One tip: buy a 360 Challenge Stradale!

The Gt3 was more of a track day car, I run it alot at Sepang. Google sticky buttons of F430, it's really bad... I am having to do the refurbishment in a few months...:oops extremely shy its happening on a Ferrari

eddie
10th September 2014, 04:12

If you come, we will go to sepang together :) I am driving down with Ferrari club next weekend to catch F1 in Singapore. Hahaha, may give a signed club petition if LdM is ousted to the ppl at the black stallion.... Will see

Hornet
10th September 2014, 04:13
The bitter icing on the cake is how Pierro is made to watch this.

Must really suck for him. His dad build Ferrari out of a passion for racing, but today it's being controlled by corporate CEO who doesn't cares about racing, only money and corporate politics.

eddie
10th September 2014, 05:52
LdM and the largest Ferrari gathering in Asia...

http://youtu.be/m4oVoNtqm88

Saluti Ferrari....

ManFromMilan
10th September 2014, 07:31
Just read this on Autosport...

Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo steps down from road car and F1 role

Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo ended days of speculation about his future by announcing on Wednesday that he is to step down from his role with the car company and Formula 1 team.

Ahead of a Ferrari board meeting on Thursday that is expected to announce record profits, di Montezemolo issued a statement saying that he will end his 23-year spell at Maranello.

He said his decision had been prompted by the flotation plans of the new Fiat Chrysler Automobiles company, which is planned for the New York Stock Exchange next month.

"Ferrari will have an important role to play within the FCA Group in the upcoming flotation on Wall Street," he said. "This will open up a new and different phase which I feel should be spearheaded by the CEO of the Group.

"This is the end of an era and so I have decided to leave my position as Chairman after almost 23 marvellous and unforgettable years in addition to those spent at Enzo Ferrari's side in the 1970s."

Speculation about di Montezemolo's future intensified at last weekend's Italian Grand Prix, but the Italian insisted during an impromptu media call on Saturday that he had no intention of stepping down.

In fact, he said an offer to remain in his position for three more years, which had been made back in March, was still valid.

But renewed questions about di Montezemolo's future erupted in the wake of criticisms from Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, who made clear that the performance of Ferrari's F1 team was 'unacceptable'.

Although it has not been confirmed, it is expected that Marchionne will now take on direct responsibility for Ferrari.

Di Montezemolo thanked the Ferrari staff who had worked with him during his spell there, and made particular reference to Enzo Ferrari's son Piero.

He added: "Ferrari is the most wonderful company in the world. It has been a great privilege and honour to have been its leader. I devoted all of my enthusiasm and commitment to it over the years.

"Together with my family, it was, and continues to be, the most important thing in my life.

"I wish the shareholders, particularly Piero Ferrari who has always been by my side, and everyone in the Company the many more years of success that Ferrari deserves."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115788

hrc5555
10th September 2014, 07:33

Please, say again!

killer
10th September 2014, 07:57
Please, say again!

What is your point? See, stuff like this is insane: Ferrari as an organization is in turmoil and you worry about proving someone's statement wrong. Come on, now.

Ed Harley
10th September 2014, 12:47
"Nobody is indispensable." Sort of sad but then again so true.

Who is next to go?