PDA

View Full Version : Parabolica gravel trap replaced with tarmac

vcs316
7th August 2014, 11:41
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/6100/6190.2.jpg

Monza's iconic Parabolica has lost its gravel trap in favour of a tarmac run-off area which is being installed ahead of the 2014 Italian Grand Prix.

Parabolica, the final turn at the Monza circuit, has traditionally had a gravel trap after a section of grass to penalise drivers for running wide on one of F1's most challenging corners. But it appears the corner has been altered ahead of this year's race, with pictures emerging on Thursday of gravel being put down at Parabolica.

The change may be in anticipation of the possible return of World Superbikes to Monza in 2015, with safety officers from the series recently meeting track officials and raising concerns about the lack of run-off areas. The Italian Grand Prix takes place on September 7, with doubts still surrounding F1's future at Monza following Bernie Ecclestone's threats to drop the venue from the calendar after 2016.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BubTwKtIIAA3uH-.jpg

hogo
7th August 2014, 12:19
noooo:-(... They are making all these changes so people who have no experience at racing at all (read: kids) could jump into a racing car, drive, make mistakes and remain unpunished for them. I should seriously go back to watching WRC, sport for men. Citroen is no longer dominating there, so should be fun to watch again.

20000rpm
7th August 2014, 13:29
noooo:-(... They are making all these changes so people who have no experience at racing at all (read: kids) could jump into a racing car, drive, make mistakes and remain unpunished for them. I should seriously go back to watching WRC, sport for men. Citroen is no longer dominating there, so should be fun to watch again.

I still am a fan of Loeb. :)

Kiwi Nick
7th August 2014, 13:53
Don't like this. Drivers should suffer some sort of penalty for running off track. Maybe if a driver puts all 4 wheels in the run-off area, he should be given a drive through penalty. Certainly, we don't want drivers hitting trees like in the old days, and the effectiveness of gravel coupled with beaching needed some improvement. But, going off track by 40-50 meters should be more than an oopsie.

ManFromMilan
7th August 2014, 14:03
Well with the fancy electronics now a days in F1, half throttle could be enforced for a certain amount of time to insure that the driver going off track, completely, gets a adequate penalty. Should not be too difficult to enforce if these run off areas are going to be everywhere.

SilverSpeed
7th August 2014, 19:05
Well it must be good then for the safety of the drivers.

NickEice
7th August 2014, 19:33
We don't want beached cars, it is bad for the viewing. Do we really want a scenarios where there is 5 minutes left in Q3 and we have a beached car, yellow flag and no one can improve? Maybe back in the day (that everyone always loves to look at through rose tinted glasses) because of hour plus long quali sessions and lack of safety and yellow flags it wasn't a big deal.

The FIA has removed multiple qualifying times because of track limits this year. It has been a big punishment, specifically for Lewis this year. I am not sure why we think it is a freebie. You cannot pass with all 4 off and you can't set a quali time with all 4 off. What more do we need? Everytime someone goes off they have to retire? That is idiotic and worked back in the day when 3 cars would finish on the lead lap with 40 seconds between each car. We really need to think when we react, but again the internet is a place to give voices to those who don't deserve them.

A lot of people sound like American Football fans today. We have a big problem with concussions from the years of abuse these players have taken. Former players have comitted suicide from the pain and depression and pain killer dependence. So the league is trying to make the game safer. By doing that they have changed slightly the way the game is played. Fans moan and complain still though that the game has become soft. Not really caring about the guys that are 30 years old and have arthritus, or the people dealing with demensia. These atheltes get paid a lot of money though, sure, but they are still human beings and the dangers of the game they play should be limited as much as possible.

NickEice
7th August 2014, 19:36
There is nothing wrong with the high abrassive cement or the slippery paint like at Circuit of the Americas that will force you to slow down and also ruin your tires for the next couple corners. In my opinion every track needs to be like Circuit of the Americas. No ones race is ruined, no yellow flag is thrown, but the person messing up still loses time because of the nature of the off track material.

We have been using gravel traps for decades. I think we can come up with a better technology in 2014.

Rob
7th August 2014, 19:39
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :furious

Sorry, but if a driver makes a mistake, should be punished. Not saying being injured, but, tracks havent got the "danger". I mean it in, drivers now think, oh i make small mistake i be ok as can drive off into the shopping center car park, and rejoin. Where, as before, you go off, you either get beached, or drive slowly through the gravel and loose alot of places.

Kyss4k
7th August 2014, 19:57
I will never figure out how can someone with at least two working brain cells come up with these "improvements". Let's just have races on parking lots...

Greig
7th August 2014, 20:16
As it says in the OP

The change may be in anticipation of the possible return of World Superbikes to Monza in 2015

Race tracks can't survive just hosting F1, they need to host other events to generate income and as such need to be safe for all.

Alonsomaniac
7th August 2014, 20:47
Vettel will like it......:-D

Sianellen
7th August 2014, 20:49
As it says in the OP

Race tracks can't survive just hosting F1, they need to host other events to generate income and as such need to be safe for all.

Bernie also keeps threatening to pull the rug from under Monza so I can see why it could prove vital for them to have other sources of income rather than just the F1.

TonyRizza
7th August 2014, 21:22
it sucks that drivers arent being punished but if it means monza will be on the calendar for longer then im all for it, would hate to loose the home race of Ferrari, but surely bernie couldnt be that stupid or could he?

fratelliferrari
7th August 2014, 21:29
it sucks that drivers arent being punished but if it means monza will be on the calendar for longer then im all for it, would hate to loose the home race of Ferrari, but surely bernie couldnt be that stupid or could he?

You never know with Bernie :-D He is in love with money so....

Cozza
8th August 2014, 03:38
looks like there might be a strip of grass between the track and the tarmac runoff otherwise they would of paved it first. So I don't think there going to be dropping wheels off it

Nova
8th August 2014, 04:35
Love Monza, not sure I like this..I love the older tracks..remember when the German GP ran
out thru the woods? Loved watching that. Spa too.

mirafiori
8th August 2014, 08:05
Love Monza, not sure I like this..I love the older tracks..remember when the German GP ran
out thru the woods? Loved watching that. Spa too.

I love Monza, the whole history of the place is incredible, I have been 6 times from general admission to Turn one and start finish opposite pole position, also I have sat on the end in the Parabolica, for me it was the worst place of all, very boring. What would be good if was possible to put a chicane at the area they are now tarmacking, now that would really spice it up, breaking from 200mph to 60mph then accelerating towards the long straight down towards turn one.:thumb

vcs316
8th August 2014, 08:12
Cry of outrage as Monza's Parabolica run-off asphalted

F1's summer break has not stopped a cry of outrage at news the iconic Parabolica corner at historic Monza has been altered ahead of next month's Italian grand prix. The Italian magazine Autosprint published a photo depicting works to asphalt the famous gravel trap at the exit of the high-speed curve.

A strip of gravel just next to the track has been left intact, presumably to be completed as a low-grip area like artificial grass. But the move is highly controversial, given that Parabolica was among the few remaining high-speed corners on the F1 calendar where a mistake is penalised heavily. "Why the hell do they take away the challenge in F1?" the German correspondent for Sport Bild, Bianca Garloff, wrote on Twitter. "This time it's Monza making its Parabolica easier."

Former F1 driver Karun Chandhok agreed, saying the Parabolica is now "another great corner that will lose its challenge". "Parabolica will never be the same corner again," added former F1 driver Jerome d'Ambrosio. Autosprint correspondent Roberto Chinchero claims the modifications were carried out in the name of safety at the behest of the governing FIA.

But he acknowledged that only the first section of gravel has been paved over, even though "a small mistake will no longer result in a dangerous incident". Italy's Tuttosport, meanwhile, said the change could be in anticipation of Monza's return to the world superbike series for 2015, following meetings in which safety concerns about the lack of escape zones were raised. (GMM)

F1NAC
8th August 2014, 10:55
As it says in the OP

Wait. How can tarmac for bikers be safer than gravel.? In case of fall

ManFromMilan
8th August 2014, 18:19
Wait. How can tarmac for bikers be safer than gravel.? In case of fall

They can break their necks in the gravel.

Kiwi Nick
8th August 2014, 23:43
Monza has been going downhill since they took out the banking.

Stormy
10th August 2014, 03:58
Oh my god! They are destroying the soul of Monza.
Curves should punish if a driver makes a mistake...im not talking about deadly punishments of course.

Ed Harley
10th August 2014, 05:21
Reason for this change is understandable. Drivers and fans just need to adjust.

Stormy
10th August 2014, 05:43
Reason for this change is understandable. Drivers and fans just need to adjust.
Its just not that exciting when you know the driver's mistake wont get punished, thats all.

Kyss4k
10th August 2014, 06:13
And they are wondering, why is F1 losing people's interest... I have an idea for safety, let's just host a lan party every week with the F1 drivers and do the races virtually. It will even save you money! Isn't that brilliant?

aroutis
10th August 2014, 19:44
And they are wondering, why is F1 losing people's interest... I have an idea for safety, let's just host a lan party every week with the F1 drivers and do the races virtually. It will even save you money! Isn't that brilliant?
What he says.

Greig
10th August 2014, 19:48

Monza is not just there for F1, if you really lose interest due to a bit of tarmac then really I have no words.

hogo
10th August 2014, 21:10

+1 !!! Drivers must be punished for their mistakes, if not then they are no better than kids who drive cars in video games!

Greig
10th August 2014, 21:47
+1 !!! Drivers must be punished for their mistakes, if not then they are no better than kids who drive cars in video games!

Maybe you can tell us how many drivers have been punished at Parabolica say in the last 5 years?

Ste
11th August 2014, 00:30
Maybe you can tell us how many drivers have been punished at Parabolica say in the last 5 years?
Fisichella :-D

Brembo
11th August 2014, 05:19
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :furious

Sorry, but if a driver makes a mistake, should be punished. Not saying being injured, but, tracks havent got the "danger". I mean it in, drivers now think, oh i make small mistake i be ok as can drive off into the shopping center car park, and rejoin. Where, as before, you go off, you either get beached, or drive slowly through the gravel and loose alot of places.
Well someone somewhere had to give my buddy Massa a break!

Hornet
11th August 2014, 06:12
It's not a big deal IMO. They can put one of those temporary high curbs like the one used in Singapore GP's chicane around Parabolica, and remove them for other racing events.

Senna4Ever
11th August 2014, 07:56
They can break their necks in the gravel.

Which is also ture for tarmac ... especially the first impact ... do they stop moto gp and following series immediately, 'cause I have not seen so many tracks without gravel and green?

Maybe it's time to put the drivers into simulators and we only watch the result in virtual reality then
Less pollution
Less travel costs
Less material costs
Much more safe

Greig
11th August 2014, 08:14
Which is also ture for tarmac ... especially the first impact ... do they stop moto gp and following series immediately, 'cause I have not seen so many tracks without gravel and green?

Maybe it's time to put the drivers into simulators and we only watch the result in virtual reality then
Less pollution
Less travel costs
Less material costs
Much more safe

I agree, we need more neck breaking and legs being broke in F1, without such things then there is no point....

Kyss4k
11th August 2014, 09:39
Monza is not just there for F1, if you really lose interest due to a bit of tarmac then really I have no words.

It's not about one piece of tarmac Greig... They are putting tarmac everywhere. There should be some "danger" waiting when driver makes a mistake. This is making just dulling the races out. One day, we will have only circuits like Paul Ricard or Abu Dhabi... Huge parking lot with lines defining where is "forbiden" to go. What an excitement that is.

Kyss4k
11th August 2014, 09:45
I agree, we need more neck breaking and legs being broke in F1, without such things then there is no point....

Then let's just make them play PC games... no one will ever get hurt that way. People these days are really way too soft... It's just gravel, not metal spikes or something, dear lord!

Greig
11th August 2014, 09:51
Then let's just make them play PC games... no one will ever get hurt that way. People these days are really way too soft... It's just gravel, not metal spikes or something, dear lord!

Again Monza is not exclusive to F1, but you can ignore than I guess.

Tell me when a driver got hurt in the gravel at Parabolica? I am struggling to see how you feel this makes it too safe considering it was hardly a corner littered with cars and people being hurt?

Greig
11th August 2014, 09:53
There should be some "danger" waiting when driver makes a mistake.

Why should there be? run 10cm wide and into a wall would be so much better then? LOL all that would do is stifle racing and make everyone go much slower.

Hornet
11th August 2014, 10:03

The change wasn't made for F1, it is for World Superbikes. Can you imagine what happens if a bike runs wide onto the gravel trap. The tarmac surface will allow the bike to stay in control and not crash.

Senna4Ever
11th August 2014, 12:29

Congratulations, that it is absolutely what i wrote ... maybe you can quote and underline your interpretation in my whole text?
You must have been master of reading and interpretation in primary school ...

Greig
11th August 2014, 12:34
Congratulations, that it is absolutely what i wrote ... maybe you can quote and underline your interpretation in my whole text?

I gather from your post one piece of tarmac makes F1 too safe, I will ask you to tell us how many drivers have been injured in the gravel at Parabolica?

You can answer anytime you like. If you can reply without childish insults that would be even better.

ManFromMilan
11th August 2014, 14:03

I gather from your post one piece of tarmac makes F1 too safe, I will ask you to tell us how many drivers have been injured in the gravel at Parabolica?

You can answer anytime you like. If you can reply without childish insults that would be even better.

Definitely time for the summer break to end. We need races now.:-G

hogo
11th August 2014, 17:32

I wasn't talking about Parabolica particularly. In fact it's just another Monza corner that got changed in recent years. Like Kyss4k pointed out, Monza will turn into "Huge parking lot with lines defining where is "forbiden" to go". Now they swapped gravel with asphalt in Variante Ascari, Variante del Rettiffilo, Variante della Roggia and most recently in Curva Parabolica. Only Curve di Lesmo still has gravel traps. But like we said, it's just a matter of time and it will get asphalt too. Hence why people like me hate these changes. Less risk, less fun.

Kiwi Nick
11th August 2014, 22:58
Some new circuits, like CoA in Texas, looks like they painted a course on a patch of asphalt. Totally artificial!

Samcar222
12th August 2014, 01:57
Problem solved

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10413164_1425773287695344_50129428_n.jpg

http://flatsixes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bergmeistercrash-600x390.jpg
:-E
That tub was written off, by the way.

NickEice
12th August 2014, 02:11
Some new circuits, like CoA in Texas, looks like they painted a course on a patch of asphalt. Totally artificial!

Maybe 3D painted with all the wonderful elevation changes. CotA is great, punishing of mistakes, and most importantly safe deserving of hosting a world class proffesional sporting event.

RedRebel40
12th August 2014, 11:58
I am ok with Tarmac but there should be a penalty when you leave the track. maybe they can make a 2 meter wide gras and the rest tarmac. This will give drivers who leave the track a penalty and the bikes a place where they can correct the bike before returning the track again.

Kiwi Nick
12th August 2014, 13:03
Maybe 3D painted with all the wonderful elevation changes. CotA is great, punishing of mistakes, and most importantly safe deserving of hosting a world class proffesional sporting event.http://www.delmartimes.net/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2013/02/Fast-sweepers-at-the-Circuit-of-the-Americas-Inaugural-F1-USGP.jpg

http://www.delmartimes.net/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2013/02/Fast-sweepers-at-the-Circuit-of-the-Americas-Inaugural-F1-USGP.jpg

Kyss4k
12th August 2014, 14:30
Greig, there is just more excitement to feel (for me, maybe you are different) when I know, that driver has to be precise and that danger of losing places or even a race when he makes a mistake is high. With tarmac everywhere, he just runs wide, returs on track and nothing happens. If you like that, good for you. I hate this kind of modern racing. No thrill.

Greig
12th August 2014, 14:38
Greig, there is just more excitement to feel (for me, maybe you are different) when I know, that driver has to be precise and that danger of losing places or even a race when he makes a mistake is high. With tarmac everywhere, he just runs wide, returs on track and nothing happens. If you like that, good for you. I hate this kind of modern racing. No thrill.

That's a bit different to your point I replied too though?

Dino
12th August 2014, 15:56

It is very unlikely for drivers to change the racing line at the Parabolica and on to the following straight.
If you get Parabolica wrong you not only mess up your current lap but also the following lap because you need that straight-line speed and a good exit to get down the pit straight.Parabolica is one of the most important to get right and i cannot see more tarmac on the outside changing anything.

Kyss4k
12th August 2014, 18:15
That's a bit different to your point I replied too though?

This is my point from the start. Maybe I didn't make myslef clear enough...

Kyss4k
12th August 2014, 18:17
It is very unlikely for drivers to change the racing line at the Parabolica and on to the following straight.
If you get Parabolica wrong you not only mess up your current lap but also the following lap because you need that straight-line speed and a good exit to get down the pit straight.Parabolica is one of the most important to get right and i cannot see more tarmac on the outside changing anything.

In quali great... In the race, you lose next to nothing compared to gravel trap. It is much lower risk.

abbottcostello
12th August 2014, 20:33
If this is for safety, whether F1 or anther class of racing, I won't argue at all with the decision!

As for my enjoyment, I doubt it will diminish it in the slightest, unless of course some opponent gains an advantage from the change! :lol

Hornet
13th August 2014, 04:31
If this is for safety, whether F1 or anther class of racing, I won't argue at all with the decision!

As for my enjoyment, I doubt it will diminish it in the slightest, unless of course some opponent gains an advantage from the change! :lol

I think it's all in the mind. There's no any actual occurrence on track that makes the race more exciting. If something is more dangerous, drivers will simply be more cautious to reduce the chances of an error. This is similar to Monaco, where it's dangerous to run wide because the walls are there to destroy your suspension even if you make a small error. Does this make Monaco more exciting? Of course not, because drivers will take the more cautious approach such as sitting in a train of cars rather than doing a risky overtaking. It's when the conditions are safer that drivers take more risk.