PDA

View Full Version : The return of Ross?

REDARMYSOJA
1st September 2014, 22:39
I think the writer is making more of this than is there.

Ferrari would welcome back Ross Brawn to help turn around the famous Formula One team's flagging fortunes.

As Ferrari's former technical director, Brawn helped guide the Scuderia to six constructors' titles as well as five world titles between 2000 and 2004 with Michael Schumacher.

Ferrari's new team principal Marco Mattiacci revealed to CNN he would be happy to work with the English technical guru.

"Ross Brawn is an iconic figure at [Ferrari headquarters] Maranello," Mattiacci told CNN.

"Everyone would like to have Ross or would like to see Ross back at Ferrari.

"He's one of the most respected personalities in F1 with the highest knowledge and pedigree. Everybody would be happy with someone like Ross."

Brawn left his latest role as team principal of Mercedes in 2013 after taking the Silver Arrows to the verge of their most successful season in the sport since the 1950s.

The German team is leading this season's team and driver championships with Brawn acknowledged as a huge driving force behind the success.

In contrast, Ferrari has not won the team title since 2008 while current driver Kimi Raikkonen was the last to win the drivers' crown in 2007.

Fernando Alonso continues to drive for the team, finishing on the podium twice this season, while Raikkonen has struggled to adapt to the feel of the car under 2014's huge rule changes.

Ferrari would love to emulate Mercedes' sensational return to form, perhaps with Brawn's help.

"We've talked several times," said the Ferrari team principal, who took over the role following Stefano Domenicali's resignation in April.

"Ross has been at Ferrari. He came here with friends so it was very nice to spend a few minutes [together]."

Brawn is on a break from F1 after leaving Mercedes following a management restructure which saw former McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe arrive to lead the team alongside Toto Wolff.

However, Mattiacci made it clear that any future for Brawn with Ferrari would not undermine his tenure at the top.

Successful story

"At the moment I am the number one on the team," the Italian insisted.

"I like to work with what I have. We are building a very strong team with a medium, long-term plan.

"My role is to shorten as much as I can this plan to make it effective as soon as possible. We are building the foundation for a very successful story."

Certainly, Mattiacci is a man who has created his own story of success up to this point, following a 15-year career with the Italian marque.

Roles in Asia and Europe led to the 43-year-old becoming president of the North American business, where he picked up the 'Automotive Executive of the Year Award' following a 20% increase in sales.

So global were his previous roles that he's currently readjusting to life back in Italy for the first time in 20 years, while his young family remain in the US.

Critics argue Mattiacci lacks F1 experience, but for the man who lives by a personal motto of 'nothing is impossible', this is the time for the 'Prancing Horse' to be bullish.

And key to rediscovering their 'self confidence' will be not to repeat the mistakes of the recent past.

Ferrari failed to take advantage of 2014's new engine formula, which opened the door to catch up on its rivals, and engine chief Luca Marmorini subsequently found himself without a job.

The Scuderia reportedly made another big money offer to Red Bull's star technical chief Adrian Newey this year, although he turned it down to stay on at Red Bull in a revised role.

A much needed reorganization of Ferrari's technical department continues to be led by James Allison, who returned to the Italian team in 2013 from the Lotus F1 team.

When asked if he was confident he might be able to tempt Brawn to also return to Ferrari, Mattiacci responded: "As I said, at the moment I'm building a new team.

"James is the technical director and I want to start from this point.

"To tango you have to have two," the classical music fan told CNN.

"Maybe Ross is happy with what he is doing."

Brawn, who turned to his hobby of fly-fishing after leaving Ferrari in 2006, might not be fishing for a return to F1 or Ferrari yet.

But if Mattiacci could persuade him to join the Italian marque he would have landed one of the sport's biggest catches.

LINK>> Ferrari open to Ross Brawn return (http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/01/sport/motorsport/f1-mattiacci-ferrari-brawn/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fedition_sport+%28RSS%3A +Sport%29)

Rishu
2nd September 2014, 02:51
C'mmon Ross, sign the damn contract.

rocks.ral
2nd September 2014, 15:00
yes Brawn back at the base will set in immensely well with the team... we need him.. but imo i don't see it happening...

AfterLife
2nd September 2014, 20:56
As i said before i like Ferrari to succeed without Ross Brawn or Adrian Newey. We have James Allison and i am super confident that he is the right man to make Ferrari winner again.

RedRebel40
2nd September 2014, 22:49
Ross will only return as teamboss and for that job mattiacci is appointed, so there is almost no chance of Ross Brawn returning.

Stormsearcher
3rd September 2014, 08:22
There is no smoke without fire. Something must be happening in the background.

ManFromMilan
3rd September 2014, 11:13
There is no smoke without fire. Something must be happening in the background.

Oh no, there can be a lot of smoke with no fire in F1.

Stormsearcher
3rd September 2014, 12:46
Oh no, there can be a lot of smoke with no fire in F1.

lol.. possibly. But after Kimi-to-Ferrari rumours proved correct, am not betting against anything. That was, in my opinion, the most ridiculous rumour- Ferrari re-hiring someone they paid to go away. But it turned out to be true.
I would love it if Ross came back. :-)

Alonsomaniac
3rd September 2014, 13:30
Ross will only return as teamboss and for that job mattiacci is appointed, so there is almost no chance of Ross Brawn returning.

Well, I don't know.......maybe Mattiacci and Brawn could be a good team to bring Ferrari back on top. They both seem realistic guys with a clear view and that could well be the same view....

ManFromMilan
3rd September 2014, 13:40
I would love it if Ross came back. :-)

I would also love to see Ross back, but with Mattiacci as team principal, i just don't see Ross wanting to play second fiddle in F1 in any team.

Stormy
3rd September 2014, 14:18
I would also love to see Ross back, but with Mattiacci as team principal, i just don't see Ross wanting to play second fiddle in F1 in any team.
Well if Ross come's back, then we should replace Mattiaci, Brawn is old school with hell of results behind him, of course he is the man for the job.
Demote Mattiaci or give him his old job back if Brawn signs with us.

Senna4Ever
3rd September 2014, 15:04
Well if Ross come's back, then we should replace Mattiaci, Brawn is old school with hell of results behind him, of course he is the man for the job.
Demote Mattiaci or give him his old job back if Brawn signs with us.

why not both
- Mattiaci for organizational belongings and all the politics games, personal management
- Brawn for the technical part and look over the overall car (engine + aero) and build the technical bracket, tactics, strategies etc.

we have plenty a lot of work to do which is better solved if divided ... imho

Stormy
3rd September 2014, 15:52
why not both
- Mattiaci for organizational belongings and all the politics games, personal management
- Brawn for the technical part and look over the overall car (engine + aero) and build the technical bracket, tactics, strategies etc.

we have plenty a lot of work to do which is better solved if divided ... imho
That will definitely do, Mattiaci is a proven organizer and manager, so yeah if that could be done, it would be cool.

Brembo
4th September 2014, 05:42
We need Ross back with Ferrari to get on the radio and tell Kimi to "Let Alonso Pass!"

ManFromMilan
4th September 2014, 07:37
We need Ross back with Ferrari to get on the radio and tell Kimi to "Let Alonso Pass!"

Why would Ross have to say that if he does return to Ferrari?

Nand0Nand0
4th September 2014, 10:33
Why would Ross have to say that if he does return to Ferrari?

Yeah, he's got the men with the blue flags for that :lol

And please, I like Kimi and that's just a joke

REDARMYSOJA
4th September 2014, 14:47
I don't know, but some of this by Mattiacci almost sounds like he's not a permanent hire...

"At the moment I am the number one on the team," the Italian insisted.

"I like to work with what I have. We are building a very strong team with a medium, long-term plan.

"My role is to shorten as much as I can this plan to make it effective as soon as possible. We are building the foundation for a very successful story."

I actually liked the idea of Mattiacci being hired to get the team reorganized, but from the start I wondered if he might be holding the position temporarily. I think I said here that it is possible that Mattiacci was brought in to do the firing, then the next guy hired (Brawn?) could come in with clean hands.

kiwifella
4th September 2014, 15:32

Matiacci to replace LDM, Brawn for Team boss.....

Kingdom Hearts
4th September 2014, 15:52
If Ross was coming for sure, I think Fernando would have renewd his contrat already. I don't think he will come, not after what happen with Mercedes (he rised the team and was "kicked out"), I think he is done with F1.

grinchy
4th September 2014, 17:37
To be honest why does everyone feel the need for Ross Brawn, Ferrari need to move forward not backwards. Just remember its not all about one man!.

ManFromMilan
4th September 2014, 18:52
I don't think he will come, not after what happen with Mercedes (he rised the team and was "kicked out"), I think he is done with F1.

Mercedes though that all the bosses they have now will result in better management, Ross did not and Ross was correct. If you consider how poor they are handling the smallest of problems with their drivers and the subsequent public victimization of just one, the are clearly a headless organization that will fail sooner rather than later. Too many loose cannons running their mouths off and knee jerk reactions with no clear direction.

So no, he was not kicked out. He left Mercedes.

I also think Ross might be done with F1, but we never know how the final structures of Scuderia Ferrari is going to be and if they are working with a final goal in mind of Mattiacci as Ferrari CEO and Ross as Team Principal.

Only time will tell...