PDA

View Full Version : Ricciardo: Ferrari title more appealing to Vettel

JPMFerrari
16th December 2014, 01:51
Daniel Ricciardo believes Sebastian Vettel was keen to move to Ferrari because winning his fifth title with a different team will be more satisfying that doing it at Red Bull.

Vettel won four consecutive championships from 2010-2013 with Red Bull before enduring a tough season this year as Ricciardo comprehensively outperformed his team-mate. However, Ricciardo doesn't believe Vettel's decision to move to Ferrari had anything to do with losing to his team-mate, but says the goal of winning his next title with another team would be more appealing.

“I think it's probably just made the situation more clear for Seb in terms of … obviously he didn't have the year he would have liked to have had and it's probably just put everything into perspective,” Ricciardo said during an interview published on Crash.net. “He's won four titles at Red Bull. To win a fifth at Red Bull is that going to be as satisfying as maybe winning one with another team?

“And I know he's pretty passionate about Ferrari and even their road cars. I know he's a fan of the company, of the product, so I think it probably wasn't a hard decision in the end, you know from his point of view.”

And Ricciardo attributes his own performances in 2014 to having less pressure on his shoulders than Vettel as Red Bull tried to defend the drivers' and constructors' titles.

“Definitely the way I looked at it was if anything there was more pressure on Seb than on me because if the car was expected to win, if we were expected to go to Melbourne with the quickest car then no-one was expecting me to win. It was “Okay Seb should be the winner and maybe Daniel might get a podium or might get a top five”. So with that it was easy for me to just come in, do my thing and I think that was the best approach. So yes it all worked out really well.”

Kingdom Hearts
16th December 2014, 03:30
“I think it's probably just made the situation more clear for Seb in terms of … obviously he didn't have the year he would have liked to have had and it's probably just put everything into perspective,”

:lol good job Daniel.

ALO
17th December 2014, 15:37
One day RIC should drive for Scuderia I love this guy and his way with words too.

It would be funny if we took both of RBR drivers away..lol

:lol

abbottcostello
19th December 2014, 06:09
One day RIC should drive for Scuderia I love this guy and his way with words too.

It would be funny if we took both of RBR drivers away..lol

:lol
I could've warmed up to Ric a lot quicker than it will take for Seb, though I'll surely come around over the next couple of months.:xmassmile:

Alonsomaniac
20th December 2014, 12:24
I could've warmed up to Ric a lot quicker than it will take for Seb, though I'll surely come around over the next couple of months.:xmassmile:

First part:yes, second part.....depends on how he performs....

wickedf1
20th December 2014, 17:13
Ricciardo needs to stop talking about Sebastian. At first it was great because you could hear how it looked at the season. But now he is dragging it on and I am reading some starting to say that he is using Seb to promote himself and it does kind of seem that way.

Brembo
28th December 2014, 10:39
Ricciardo needs to stop talking about Sebastian. At first it was great because you could hear how it looked at the season. But now he is dragging it on and I am reading some starting to say that he is using Seb to promote himself and it does kind of seem that way.

One has to admit Ricciardi promoted himself on the track all season. He probably wishes it was him going to Ferrari. If the decision was made after 2014 eason I believe RB would still have Vettel and Ferrari would have a rookie driver who already proved on the track to be a future champiom.

wisepie
28th December 2014, 11:36
Ricciardo doesn't seem to relish his Italian heritage as much as I would like, but I'd have preferred him to Vettel in our team....I don't understand why Daniel's name is always mis-pronounced either.:roll

fratelliferrari
28th December 2014, 15:58
Ricciardo doesn't seem to relish his Italian heritage as much as I would like, but I'd have preferred him to Vettel in our team....I don't understand why Daniel's name is always mis-pronounced either.:roll

Maybe it's because of his youth?

wisepie
28th December 2014, 17:03
Maybe it's because of his youth?

If you've got Italian blood somewhere in your DNA, it needs to be celebrated fratelli!:-D

fratelliferrari
28th December 2014, 17:53
If you've got Italian blood somewhere in your DNA, it needs to be celebrated fratelli!:-D

That's right :lol

Brembo
28th December 2014, 20:21

Birra Peroni, Parmigiano Reggiano, aranciate San Pelligrino, e caramelle Perugina ! Que bella DNA !

wickedf1
29th December 2014, 04:33
One has to admit Ricciardi promoted himself on the track all season. He probably wishes it was him going to Ferrari. If the decision was made after 2014 eason I believe RB would still have Vettel and Ferrari would have a rookie driver who already proved on the track to be a future champiom.

Yes Daniel proved himself winning the races and beating Sebastian. But he does not have to talk about Sebastian now and what he is thinking and doing. He has to talk about himself and how he beat Sebastian and what he thinks about his own driving. That is his business. Daniel is not wishing he was coming to Ferrari now because he wants to be champion and Ferrari can't do that for him. Ferrari needs drivers to push the car to the top, not a driver who wants to be champion because that is why Alonso has left.

Brembo
29th December 2014, 09:16
Yes Daniel proved himself winning the races and beating Sebastian. But he does not have to talk about Sebastian now and what he is thinking and doing. He has to talk about himself and how he beat Sebastian and what he thinks about his own driving. That is his business. Daniel is not wishing he was coming to Ferrari now because he wants to be champion and Ferrari can't do that for him. Ferrari needs drivers to push the car to the top, not a driver who wants to be champion because that is why Alonso has left.

I wasn't aware Vettel came to Ferrari not to be a champion. Usually a driver has it in his mind that he might have a good year. If a driver pushes a car to the top there's a danger he might become the champion and ruin his year. And what a terrible reason for Alonso driving for Ferrari, the nerve of him wanting to win a champiomship! So the new Ferrari is for drivers who do not want to win a chaqmpionship, just push their car. I wasn't aware, thanks for the heads up !

wisepie
29th December 2014, 11:14
Birra Peroni, Parmigiano Reggiano, aranciate San Pelligrino, e caramelle Perugina ! Que bella DNA !

Good start Brembo, but there is so much more, Biancosarti, Aperol, Campari, Punt e Mes, Cinzano, Martini, Grappa and dare I mention Limoncello? Notice it's all booze! :-D And I'm sure Vettel fancied a new challenge and maybe he will be able to 'do a Michael' and bring Ferrari back to the top step, but that's still open to debate, irrespective of the car's competitiveness.

abbottcostello
30th December 2014, 07:28
I wasn't aware Vettel came to Ferrari not to be a champion. Usually a driver has it in his mind that he might have a good year. If a driver pushes a car to the top there's a danger he might become the champion and ruin his year. And what a terrible reason for Alonso driving for Ferrari, the nerve of him wanting to win a champiomship! So the new Ferrari is for drivers who do not want to win a chaqmpionship, just push their car. I wasn't aware, thanks for the heads up !
Must be the rigors of winning 4 in a row wore him to a frazzle, desperately felt he needed a breather :xmasbiggrin:

Suzie
30th December 2014, 09:18

Hmmm where did you read that? I'm going with the more rational option of 'he talks about Sebastian because he has been ASKED about him.'

Brembo
30th December 2014, 09:48
Hmmm where did you read that? I'm going with the more rational option of 'he talks about Sebastian because he has been ASKED about him.'

Because he has been, " Asked about him" . That makes toooo much scense. He could have ran away when asked about Vettel. :rotfl

NickEice
30th December 2014, 13:41
I don't understand why Daniel's name is always mis-pronounced either.:roll

Same reason my last name is forever mispronounced. When said using English grammar it sounds much different to the Italian pronunciation. I'm sure Finns would same the same thing about how we pronounce Raikkonen.

wisepie
30th December 2014, 16:43
Same reason my last name is forever mispronounced. When said using English grammar it sounds much different to the Italian pronunciation. I'm sure Finns would same the same thing about how we pronounce Raikkonen.

I agree that some names are unable to be pronounced correctly for reasons of laziness or not actually knowing how they should be pronounced because a language is not well-known (some footie players for example), but I guess he's an Aussie so that's how it is! Are you Mr EYEECHE, then Nick? Spill the beans!;-)

Ed Harley
30th December 2014, 17:08
FWIW, I find it a bit strange how his last name is pronounced - sort of a short "rikardo" instead of a broad "richhhiarrdo". Perhaps it's just an Aussie thing. In similarish fashion I have some German heritage in my veins but have chosen a shorter last name for mere simplicity in Bulvanian society. Although von Harley wouldn't sound that bad either. :Hmm

wickedf1
30th December 2014, 23:39

Before there was only good comments by people responding to news articles RIC made. But now if you read the comments they are mixing many negative comments too because he is talking too much about Seb. I saw this today with 17 comments and many of them negatives http://www.crash.net/f1/news/212788/1/ricciardo-vettel-showed-hes-human.html He is a nice guy and he did great to beat Seb, but if you keep talking about it the people get sour. Maybe if they ask him if he is happy Seb is human he can just say he already knows it instead of saying he is surprised and it nice to see the mistakes.

Aussie
3rd January 2015, 05:04

Why should he he was not born there he is Australian mate

abbottcostello
3rd January 2015, 05:28
We'll hear all about how much he values his Italian heritage as soon as he signs on to drive a red car!:xmasbiggrin:

Infi24r
4th January 2015, 22:43
We'll hear all about how much he values his Italian heritage as soon as he signs on to drive a red car!:xmasbiggrin:

Would Vettel let him drive for us?

wickedf1
4th January 2015, 23:05
Would Vettel let him drive for us?

It isn't up to Vettel. Whether Ferrari invites him to the team depends on the driver RIC develops into.

Infi24r
5th January 2015, 07:53
It isn't up to Vettel. Whether Ferrari invites him to the team depends on the driver RIC develops into.

I'm sure he'd already be a prime candidate for Raikkonen's replacement when he retires. But I suspect Red Bull would have a watertight long term contract for now.

wickedf1
5th January 2015, 17:50
I'm sure he'd already be a prime candidate for Raikkonen's replacement when he retires. But I suspect Red Bull would have a watertight long term contract for now.

Yes I agree it is doubt because Ricciardo like Bottas have contracts and are not being released. Plus they don't want to leave those teams if they are competing for the win. The free drivers are probably Button and Hulkenberg. More doubt with Perez and Grosjean.

Infi24r
5th January 2015, 22:37
Yes I agree it is doubt because Ricciardo like Bottas have contracts and are not being released. Plus they don't want to leave those teams if they are competing for the win. The free drivers are probably Button and Hulkenberg. More doubt with Perez and Grosjean.

Yeah there is no clear 'successor' to Raikkonen.

What about Vergne? He is a solid driver, now a Ferrari employee.

Hornet
6th January 2015, 03:12
Yeah there is no clear 'successor' to Raikkonen.

What about Vergne? He is a solid driver, now a Ferrari employee.
I think there are several young talent from our young driver program that will be a good choice for the second seat.

Katu
6th January 2015, 05:54
I think there are several young talent from our young driver program that will be a good choice for the second seat.

Jules was probably the best candidate for this seat...

Tifoso
6th January 2015, 19:11

Dunno. Huge pressure on someone of Italian blood to perform there.

abbottcostello
7th January 2015, 01:10
He's the one I had my eye on, honestly thought (hoped) Ferrari was announcing him when they let Felipe go!

Brembo
7th January 2015, 02:26
Dunno. Huge pressure on someone of Italian blood to perform there.

Massa's family emigrated from Cerignola Italia to Brasil
Rubens' family emigrated from Riese Venezia Italia to Brasil
Bianchi's family emigrated from Milano Italia to Nice france
I believe Jules would have fit right in. It appears to be a tradition @ Ferrari ! I would have liked to see Ricciardo instead of Vettel . A young driver who sure as hell proved himself in a hurry.

Infi24r
7th January 2015, 02:29
I believe Jules would have fit right in. It appears to be a tradition @ Ferrari ! I would have liked to see Ricciardo instead of Vettel . A young driver who sure as hell proved himself in a hurry.

Ricciardo's parents are from Sicily and Calabria.

Brembo
7th January 2015, 09:58
Ricciardo's parents are from Sicily and Calabria.

I thinkj Vetells parents are from Napoli ? :rotfl

wickedf1
8th January 2015, 05:06
Sebastian is all German like Michael :D Maybe not Italian, but he is good people and He's funny.:-D

Tifoso
8th January 2015, 20:27

How many titles did they win? ;-)

Brembo
8th January 2015, 22:03

Patience! Hopefully, in time Jules will return and drive for Ferrari and win a title or more.

Infi24r
8th January 2015, 23:07
Sebastian is all German like Michael :D Maybe not Italian, but he is good people and He's funny.:-D

He does have a good sense of humour at times. I still feel he is overall a step or two backwards from Alonso. He'll need to prove his worth on track for us.

Katu
9th January 2015, 04:26

some say that Massa was the true champion of 2008...

ARUN M KARUNAN
9th January 2015, 05:42
I thinkj Vetells parents are from Napoli ? :rotfl

Don't become so stupid.Don't please.!

Brembo
9th January 2015, 09:29
Yo young lady ! Who ya'll callin stupid? I saw him eating a bowl of linguini a la marinara.

Tony
9th January 2015, 13:38

Please do not insult forum members.

Thanks

Tony

Tifoso
9th January 2015, 19:56

I love Massa. Certainly amongst my favorites. But nope (sadly).

Infi24r
9th January 2015, 23:18
I love Massa. Certainly amongst my favorites. But nope (sadly).

Massa drove better than Hamilton that year. He may not be faster than Lewis, but he was far more consistent. Nearly all of Massa's problems that season were outside of his control.

But that doesn't make him champion, it still makes him worthy of champion. Lets not forget how much he showed Raikkonen up that season.

Brembo
10th January 2015, 01:01
Massa drove better than Hamilton that year. He may not be faster than Lewis, but he was far more consistent. Nearly all of Massa's problems that season were outside of his control.

But that doesn't make him champion, it still makes him worthy of champion. Lets not forget how much he showed Raikkonen up that season.

Very well said. Massa worthy of a championship for sure. And in Rubens case while with Ferrari he was forbidden to win a championship, team orders galore, Austria '02 was proof enough Rubens was there to "Let Him Pass" only. Ricciardo was not "Rubenized" at Red Bull and look at the results, he whopped the hell out of a 4x champion. I'm curious to see who Ferrari will ordain as #1 driver for 2015 . And will either driver go along with team orders,

RedRebel40
10th January 2015, 10:47
And in Rubens case while with Ferrari he was forbidden to win a championship, team orders galore, Austria '02 was proof enough Rubens was there to "Let Him Pass" only

You really think Rubens could defeat the greatest driver of all times?

fratelliferrari
10th January 2015, 11:05

Felipe IS the true champion of 2008!!!

Nero Horse
10th January 2015, 15:33

Don't even bother man, you'll just be wasting your time by trying to talk some sense into him, trust me...

Brembo
10th January 2015, 23:06
Define greatness with holding back your teamate even when a 1, 2 finish woud be the same for WCC. I consider Jean Todt the greatest driver of all time. He did it with a radio ! When you step in the ring in any sport knowing the other guy has to hold back kind of takes away from the win. It's not just my opinion even Michael at times broke down. Rubens has the Austria 02 trophy at home that Michael was kind enough to give him on the podium. Just on that kind gesture alone I can see why he was so well liked at Ferrari. And I guess having fans such as Vecchia Seniora does say a lot about who a true Ferrari champion was. Whatever Senna acomplished in his career, it was without the " shot in the arm". team orders going for him. And just look at what Ricciardo did to the 4x champion, not being held back by his team. Alonso had a bad car while with Ferrari, Rubens had a great car with Ferrari , but was only alowed the radio, mirrors and brake pedal for the most part. :rotfl

Infi24r
12th January 2015, 08:15
Very well said. Massa worthy of a championship for sure. And in Rubens case while with Ferrari he was forbidden to win a championship, team orders galore, Austria '02 was proof enough Rubens was there to "Let Him Pass" only. Ricciardo was not "Rubenized" at Red Bull and look at the results, he whopped the hell out of a 4x champion. I'm curious to see who Ferrari will ordain as #1 driver for 2015 . And will either driver go along with team orders,

Rubens had no answer for Michael regardless. Schumacher was several levels above.

Sometimes the number 2 is the number 2 because its that way on performance.

I've long believed that Michael would have won the next few championships had he not retired. He was a level above Felipe, who missed out on 08 by 1 point.

Brembo
12th January 2015, 20:27
Rubens had no answer for Michael regardless. Schumacher was several levels above.

Sometimes the number 2 is the number 2 because its that way on performance.

I've long believed that Michael would have won the next few championships had he not retired. He was a level above Felipe, who missed out on 08 by 1 point.

I certainly agree with yiu MS was that great. For that reason alone Rubens was no threat if they let him race. But they held him off anyway even when points were not an issue. I'm not sure MS was going to win anymore championships be it Ferrari's fault or his getting older. He IMO he did hang in there a little longer just to break the Senna Pole record, even if it took him a little longer, he got it done. Fans here may not realize that as much as they were MS fans , I was a Rubens fan. Ferrari had 2 drivers !! I'll say it again, RB let Ricciardo race and look what happened to the 4x champion! MS jr. got whopped. So you we will never know what might have happened, even just once in that great Ferrari era.

Infi24r
13th January 2015, 03:42
I'll say it again, RB let Ricciardo race and look what happened to the 4x champion! MS jr. got whopped. So you we will never know what might have happened, even just once in that great Ferrari era.

The situations aren't comparable. Ricciardo beat Vettel because he was faster. Rubens was never faster than Michael.

vcs316
13th January 2015, 03:49
Michael would have won in 2007 & 2008 if he had continued.

Lesky
13th January 2015, 10:22
Michael would have won in 2007 & 2008 if he had continued.

Indeed. He would have coasted to these titles, its one of the things I regret most as a Schumacher fan, he could have gone out on top with 9 titles and instead retired too early, just like his comeback with Mercedes showed.