PDA

View Full Version : Marchionne: A Ferrari must be built in Italy anything else is blasphemy

Nero Horse
20th January 2015, 19:28
http://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/1-tumblr_ng7abhW8Vz1qbw2r6o6_1280.jpg

Ferrari big boss Sergio Marchionne has ruled out leaving their Maranello headquarters to build future Formula 1 contenders as it bids to end a seven-year world championship drought at the pinnacle of the sport.

Having faltered at the start of the new turbo V6 era, the Italian marque has undergone a radical shake-up ahead of what the team’s president Marchionne expects will be yet another difficult campaign in 2015.

In the late 80s, Ferrari made a bold bid for competitiveness by signing designer John Barnard and letting him work for the team from an English base.

More recently, the iconic team has struggled to similarly woo F1’s top designers like Adrian Newey, and so speculation of the return to having a UK base has re-emerged.

It would also allow Ferrari to benefit from F1’s so-called ‘Motorsport Valley’, where eight of the 11 teams that began the 2014 season are based.

But Marchionne has ruled it out, and told Speedweek, “Ferrari is Italy and this exclusivity will be untouched. A Ferrari must be built in Italy – anything else would be blasphemy.”

The 62-year-old Italian-Canadian is famous for having revived not only Fiat but also Chrysler, and now he is also heading Ferrari in its period of turmoil.

“I have already simplified my life because I have only three phones,” he laughed. “But it’s true — at the moment I live predominantly on planes.”

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/20/marchionne-a-ferrari-must-be-built-in-italy-anything-else-is-blasphemy/

Nero Horse
20th January 2015, 19:31
“Ferrari is Italy and this exclusivity will be untouched. A Ferrari must be built in Italy – anything else would be blasphemy.”

Pure truth from Mr. Marchionne. Really glad to hear him saying such things. :clap

wisepie
25th January 2015, 17:09
“Ferrari is Italy and this exclusivity will be untouched. A Ferrari must be built in Italy – anything else would be blasphemy.”

Pure truth from Mr. Marchionne. Really glad to hear him saying such things. :clap

Quite right too, how can a Ferrari be built anywhere else without devaluing its Italian heritage, Enzo would be spinning.:-E

mirafiori
25th January 2015, 21:20
Very well said both Nero Horse and Wisepie.:thumb

AfterLife
26th January 2015, 07:59
IMO if one day Sergio Marchionne or someone else realized that transferring Ferrari base out if Italy could yield to more benefit, I don't think there would be hesitation for transferring Ferrari base out of Italy.

Producing a Ferrari out of Italy is as same as winning Formula1 title with South African designer, English technical director, French team principal and German driver.

Nero Horse
26th January 2015, 14:18
IMO if one day Sergio Marchionne or someone else realized that transferring Ferrari base out if Italy could yield to more benefit, I don't think there would be hesitation for transferring Ferrari base out of Italy.

Producing a Ferrari out of Italy is as same as winning Formula1 title with South African designer, English technical director, French team principal and German driver.

Well, you're wrong.

watto2
28th January 2015, 19:07
I see no reason why a top designer like Adrian Newey or whoever could not work from home and have an office in Italy! But it will not happen anyway!:Hmm

fratelliferrari
28th January 2015, 20:21
Well, you're wrong.

1000% agree with you :thumb

DJTaurus
15th March 2015, 05:58
Thank you mr marchionne for rebuilding our team so soon. And I'll ask again. Where are the summer doubters ?

JPZ
15th March 2015, 09:04

But the factory is in Italy and the car is made in Italy and most of the workers are Italian.