PDA

View Full Version : No German GP in 2015

Nero Horse
18th March 2015, 17:16
The last slim chance for this year’s German Grand Prix now appears over once and for all.

With the embattled Nurburgring unable to fulfil its agreement to host the race in July, Bernie Ecclestone had been in talks with Hockenheim about filling the place.

But circuit boss Georg Seiler told the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper on Tuesday: “We do not expect a grand prix to take place at Hockenheim in 2015.

“The timing for a commitment passed long ago, so a serious organisation of the grand prix is no longer possible,” he added.

F1 supremo Ecclestone has already said that if Germany does not host a 2015 race, the July 19 date on the currently 20-race calendar will not be replaced.

SID news agency said Germany’s removal, and the reduction of the calendar to 19 races, is likely to be formalised by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council on Friday.

The last time Germany did not host a Formula 1 race was 1960.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/03/17/2015-german-gp-no-longer-possible/

Nero Horse
18th March 2015, 17:17
There will be no German Grand Prix this year, Hockenheim circuit boss Georg Seiler confirmed in a decision that ended months of uncertainty over the country’s Formula 1 race.

The absence of Germany, home of reigning world champions Mercedes, for the first time since 1960 leaves the calendar with 19 races.

“We have no hope any more of having a Formula 1 race here (this year),” Seiler told Bild newspaper. “We did everything in the last few years to keep the fans happy.”

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone had kept the door ajar but Seiler said time had run out because “quality would now suffer” if they went ahead with the 10th round of the championship.

“We had declared ourselves willing to step in for Nurburgring, something we were contractually not obliged to do,” he said. “There were talks with third parties over taking over the risk but they were not successful.”

Ecclestone told Reuters on Monday that Hockenheim was the only option for the July 19 race despite it being the Nurburgring’s turn under an alternation agreement.

Hockenheim hosted last year’s grand prix, and is also due to host it in 2016, but the circuit has made heavy losses due to poor attendances and is unwilling to shoulder the burden for three years in a row.

The Nurburgring, one of the sport’s most historic venues with the original track dating from the pre-World War Two years, also has financial troubles and has changed ownership since it last appeared on the calendar.

German drivers have been among the most successful in Formula One, with Michael Schumacher winning a record seven world titles and 91 races while Sebastian Vettel is a four times champion.

However attendances dwindled after Schumacher, who won five of his titles for Ferrari, retired in 2012 after an unsuccesful comeback with Mercedes.

Only 52,000 fans turned up on race day at Hockenheim last year to see Germany’s Nico Rosberg win the race for Mercedes. The victory was the first by a German driver in a German car on home soil since the 1930s.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/03/18/hockenheim-boss-confirms-no-german-gp-this-year/

fratelliferrari
18th March 2015, 17:26
A real shame! This is very bad for F1 in general! Iam afraid this won't be the lastvEuropean track to be cancelled in the future!

wisepie
18th March 2015, 17:46
A real shame! This is very bad for F1 in general! Iam afraid this won't be the lastvEuropean track to be cancelled in the future!
Sadly I agree, fratelli, and there seems no simple solution as it reinforces my belief that Bernie/FOM are draining the promoters of the funds they require to hold a race. Along with the depressing thought of Merc dominating the opening races, it will get worse unless remedial action is taken.:-s

mirafiori
18th March 2015, 17:52
Maybe this is good news for Monza, the most famous circuit on the F1 circuit had been under pressure.

Brembo
18th March 2015, 20:18
I remember going to the Indy F1 races where there were 150,000 plus fans. First race there I believe broke 200,000. "Via col Vento! " Gone with the wind. And why, I'll never know.
50,000 fans is really low. And Merc + Seb not enough to draw a crowd ? I was really thinking New Jersey would happen. IMO at least 100,000 New Yorkers would go to the race just to find out what F1 is about. And anything Ferrari would draw the folks.

GrndLkNatv
18th March 2015, 22:35
It's time for the troll to pack his bags and move along.. He's dumping in his own nest and destroying the sport. Time for some new blood at the top.

stefa
18th March 2015, 22:36
Sad... Slowly all old school tracks are disappearing...

fratelliferrari
18th March 2015, 22:45
Sad... Slowly all old school tracks are disappearing...

:-(

wickedf1
19th March 2015, 01:48
The numbers don't tell the whole story. Austria sold out and over half the people going were Germans and also many Germans went to the SPA. If you are going to spend lots of money for a GP race, you will choose the new or legendary track over the old Hockenheim and that is what many did.

Nova
19th March 2015, 02:38
I remember going to the Indy F1 races where there were 150,000 plus fans. First race there I believe broke 200,000. "Via col Vento! " Gone with the wind. And why, I'll never know.
50,000 fans is really low. And Merc + Seb not enough to draw a crowd ? I was really thinking New Jersey would happen. IMO at least 100,000 New Yorkers would go to the race just to find out what F1 is about. And anything Ferrari would draw the folks.

Yes, Indy did break 200+ and was always a great venue, but it is gone also. I read that the family member who brought F1 there has lost his grip of power there within the family, and the other family members werent willing to pay the fee's required
to keep F1 at Indy. It was an open, friendly atmosphere.
Such a shame Germany, I hate to see things like this happen. There should be some sort of clause in the contract where if the circuit isnt sold out, Bernie would refund or reduce an amount of the hosting fee. Playing ball together to stay in business together.

Sriharsha
19th March 2015, 02:56
:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Senna4Ever
19th March 2015, 13:28

For me Hockenheim died already when they designed this new whatever track ... Old Hockenheim was on the less real power tracks like Monza and Spa.

It's time for the troll to pack his bags and move along.. He's dumping in his own nest and destroying the sport. Time for some new blood at the top.

Right ... hope it is not too late ... to be fair he is allowed to destroy what he has build - as a matter of truth - modern F1 won't be the same without the troll taking over in the 70ies.

Tony
19th March 2015, 14:10
For me Hockenheim died already when they designed this new whatever track ... Old Hockenheim was on the less real power tracks like Monza and Spa.

Right ... hope it is not too late ... to be fair he is allowed to destroy what he has build - as a matter of truth - modern F1 won't be the same without the troll taking over in the 70ies.

Really miss the old Hockenheim... sure the track wasn't super technical, but seeing cars going flat out for so long was just awesome in my book...

Winter
19th March 2015, 16:09
Very disappointing. They build circuits and race in countries where people doesn't even know what F1 is and same time countries with great old tracks and long F1 history is left without a single grand prix.
And things are not getting better until that old greedy cotton stick is replaced with someone who really cares about the sport, not only the money.

Nero Horse
19th March 2015, 17:34
Very disappointing. They build circuits and race in countries where people doesn't even know what F1 is and same time countries with great old tracks and long F1 history is left without a single grand prix.
And things are not getting better until that old greedy cotton stick is replaced with someone who really cares about the sport, not only the money.

+1

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

zike
19th March 2015, 18:23

Yes, and by the end of his rule, we will lose Monza,Silverston,ect........but we will probably have new ones in some desert rich with petrodollars

Senna4Ever
19th March 2015, 19:15
Really miss the old Hockenheim... sure the track wasn't super technical, but seeing cars going flat out for so long was just awesome in my book...

Couldn't agree more ...

Hornet
20th March 2015, 04:38

You're delusional if you think Bernie going away will change anything. Bernie is just doing the bidding for CVC, and CVC, the commercial rights owner mind you, is here for money, ie. commercialize the sport. With or without Bernie, it will always be about the money as far as CVC is concern, and any commercial decisions taken will always reflect that.

Winter
20th March 2015, 15:56
You're delusional if you think Bernie going away will change anything. Bernie is just doing the bidding for CVC, and CVC, the commercial rights owner mind you, is here for money, ie. commercialize the sport. With or without Bernie, it will always be about the money as far as CVC is concern, and any commercial decisions taken will always reflect that.

Something will definitely change when Bernie is gone. Bernie is not just a easily replaceable employee, he is an F1-group executive + shareholder. He can't dictate F1, but can you name a single person who has more authority over F1 that Bernie does?

Hornet
20th March 2015, 18:25
Something will definitely change when Bernie is gone. Bernie is not just a easily replaceable employee, he is an F1-group executive + shareholder. He can't dictate F1, but can you name a single person who has more authority over F1 that Bernie does?

Well of course Bernie is the most powerful person in control at the moment, because he's representing the very group that owns F1. Once Bernie is gone, they will put someone else incharge who would still be representing the group's interest.

The point is, this group is made up of investors who invested in F1 for the sole purpose of making commercial profits. Simply put, they are here to commercialize the sport, they are here to make nothing but profit. So when we say why is Bernie so greedy, taking F1 to the highest bidder, giving the teams such a small share of the revenue etc, we have to remember that those money goes to these group who owns F1. Of course that includes Bernie, but he's not the only one there who is after the profit, all the investors are there for the same reason.

Therefore when the day comes where someone new is in charge, he will still have to do the same thing, to go after the profit. He's not going to have sentimental value about classic tracks, he's still going to ask for huge amount of money, and for any circuit not willing to pay, he'll take the race elsewhere.

Of course I don't like any of this, but we have to admit to the fact that F1 is already a commercialized sport, and Bernie is just doing what any businessman would do.

stefa
20th March 2015, 18:56

+1000 :thumb

Winter
20th March 2015, 20:41
Well of course Bernie is the most powerful person in control at the moment, because he's representing the very group that owns F1. Once Bernie is gone, they will put someone else incharge who would still be representing the group's interest.

The point is, this group is made up of investors who invested in F1 for the sole purpose of making commercial profits. Simply put, they are here to commercialize the sport, they are here to make nothing but profit. So when we say why is Bernie so greedy, taking F1 to the highest bidder, giving the teams such a small share of the revenue etc, we have to remember that those money goes to these group who owns F1. Of course that includes Bernie, but he's not the only one there who is after the profit, all the investors are there for the same reason.

Therefore when the day comes where someone new is in charge, he will still have to do the same thing, to go after the profit. He's not going to have sentimental value about classic tracks, he's still going to ask for huge amount of money, and for any circuit not willing to pay, he'll take the race elsewhere.

Of course I don't like any of this, but we have to admit to the fact that F1 is already a commercialized sport, and Bernie is just doing what any businessman would do.

Bernie is not only representing the F1 group, he owns his share of that group as well. And as far as I know there are no other person who owns F1 group as much as Mr B does. They can replace Bernie with new chief executive, but he wouldn't be what Bernie was, he would be only an employee.

Of course F1 needs to make money to work, but I think that Bernie is just too much after big deals and fast money instead of trying to build the sport to be more interesting, keeping the old fans happy and gaining new fans. More fans/followers means more money to shareholders and everybody wins.

Building F1 circuits to places like Azerbaijan, where native people doesn't care about F1 and F1 fans doesn't care the place is not sustainable way to go, and fast money/greediness is the only reason why these Azerbaijan GPs happen.

Ferrari Man
20th March 2015, 22:56
Just looking at the calendar we will then have a 3 week gap from Silverstone to Hungary, then it's de 4 week break til spa:-(

fratelliferrari
21st March 2015, 08:21
Just looking at the calendar we will then have a 3 week gap from Silverstone to Hungary, then it's de 4 week break til spa:-(

I didn't realise that yet :-s

Sriharsha
21st March 2015, 08:33
It looks bad but in another way it gives the people to be with their families and spend some time for them

Alessandra
21st March 2015, 11:27
Same underlying force that saw Sauber, of all teams, humiliate their ex driver Giedo van der Garde, no matter what fans or even 2 courts law believed to be just or legal last weekend in Australia.

The Architect
21st March 2015, 19:06
Have to agree with the sentiments expressed by many others already. Hockenheim sold its soul years ago and I don't think it will be missed. I certainly won't.

Ed Harley
21st March 2015, 22:13
Any news of which track will replace Hockenheim next year in calender?

Rob
22nd March 2015, 09:54
Have to agree with the sentiments expressed by many others already. Hockenheim sold its soul years ago and I don't think it will be missed. I certainly won't.

we need a race in Germany. Hockenheim isnt what we all like now, as been ruined, but things move on. Sad to say. But had to rebuild track to increase spectator, to increase income, now look at whats happened. Bernie needs to look at the fee of hosting an F1 race. New markets ok, but at what cost? go to a country which has bought a race for few years, interest from fans good for a year then after that no fans turn up, but we still got there because the oil rich country will pay the crazy hosting fees, putting great tracks wirth history, that has helped shape the the F1 history are pushed aside, just because Mr E sees $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time.

Hornet
22nd March 2015, 10:20
I believe next year is Hockenheim's turn to host the German GP again, so there shouldn't be any issue. They are not in any trouble, they just didn't have enough time to prepare for a F1 GP this year on short notice after Nurburgring's issue.

Meanwhile we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that Nurburgring will be able to solve it's financial issues and sign a new contract for 2017

fratelliferrari
22nd March 2015, 10:39
I believe next year is Hockenheim's turn to host the German GP again, so there shouldn't be any issue. They are not in any trouble, they just didn't have enough time to prepare for a F1 GP this year on short notice after Nurburgring's issue.

Meanwhile we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that Nurburgring will be able to solve it's financial issues and sign a new contract for 2017

Yes I hope so too! I have been to both German Grand Prixs and I like the Nurburgring better than Hockenheim! I think Nurburgring has a better lay-out and the atmosphere around the circuit is also very nice :-D

IulianFerrari
22nd March 2015, 13:15
Something has to be done, we are losing tradition and making way for the oil rich countries and "tropical" destinations.

Nero Horse
22nd March 2015, 16:31
Yes I hope so too! I have been to both German Grand Prixs and I like the Nurburgring better than Hockenheim! I think Nurburgring has a better lay-out and the atmosphere around the circuit is also very nice :-D

The modern Nurburgring is much better than the modern Hockenheim, no doubt. But I would take either of them over some racetrack in the middle of some desert anyday.

fratelliferrari
22nd March 2015, 22:12
The modern Nurburgring is much better than the modern Hockenheim, no doubt. But I would take either of them over some racetrack in the middle of some desert anyday.

You are right there! I was in Imola last summer...For me still my favourite race track ever and really painful to see we probably will never have an F1 race there :-(

abbottcostello
23rd March 2015, 01:20
Very tough to lose these old race venues, I used to love going to the US GP at Watkins Glen, so hope Hornet is right about Hockenheim & Nurburgring. Change is good, but it never can replace tradition!

wisepie
23rd March 2015, 12:10
Apart from the SF15 looking more promising, this season hasn't got off to a very good start from the sport's point of view with the loss of Caterham, Manor Marussia failing to run, Alonso and Bottas being sidelined through injury and now circuits running out of the funds to hold a race. There will now be a three week gap after Silverstone until Hungary and then another month before Spa, we have teams which are on the go from March until November, they may enjoy a bit more of a summer break but it's all turning into a shadow of what F1 used to be, proper racing on proper circuits with proper fans paying to watch. I despair. Bernie, are you listening?:-E

abbottcostello
24th March 2015, 16:53
Apparently Mercedes were willing to help with costs, but only at Hockenheim:

On Sunday, British newspaper The Observer said Mercedes was willing not only to pay half of the potential loss in 2015, but also help promote the race.
"In principle, we do not believe it is the job of the competing teams to provide financial support for individual events and we do not believe this is a sustainable model for the future," a Mercedes spokesman said.
"Nevertheless, the German GP is a core race on the Formula One calendar and we have a significant interest in this race taking place.
"Mercedes-Benz has participated in discussions and offered a significant contribution to support a successful German GP, at the Hockenheimring, in 2015. This offer was, unfortunately, not accepted," the spokesman added.

Full story here (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-offered-significant-contribution-to-save-german-gp)

Seems to me Claire should speak up more often!

Claire Williams feels more research needs to go into gauging what fans want to see from Formula 1 to ensure it is not spending time pushing for unwanted change.

F1 is coming under increasing pressure to resonate with fans amidst falling spectator and television audience numbers in several key markets, with Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene making his opinion felt by calling for 'revolution' with more powerful cars and greater engagement with fans.

Indeed, Williams agrees that F1 needs to do more to establish a dialogue with the general public to help shape the sport's future direction, pointing out that there has been no fan survey for a number of years now.

“As a group, we probably need to do more research into what fans want and listen to what our fans want before actually doing things that maybe the fans aren't interested in,” she said. “It is important to have a two-way conversation rather than pushing change for the sake of it.

“We haven't done a fan survey for a number of years. Obviously partners of teams and promoters do their own research, so it is a case of probably getting everyone together and pooling it and talking to the media, because that is probably the most direct portal that we have. This is probably the best way to listen and engage with fans in what they want and want to see as the future of F1.

Building on this point, Williams feels that F1 should be listening to those who watch the sport and sustain it, as well as pushing for technical innovation.

“We think F1 is a great sport and as a member of the strategy group, there are conversations going on about what we can do to make it a better sport. These conversations are focusing around changing the engine formula, to make it louder, and to change the technical regulations to make the cars more radical and more innovative, so that they represent F1.

“These are conversation we are having and where we are looking… it is about improving what is a great platform and if that drives more fans to watch our sport and ensures the sustainability of the sport, then Williams is 100 per cent behind those conversations.”

From Crash.net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/216786/1/williams-urges-more-fan-research-to-develop-f1.html)

abbottcostello
26th March 2015, 00:54
A little more detail on what happened:

Hockenheim and Bernie Ecclestone on Wednesday denied responsibility for the demise of the historic German grand prix.The Nurburgring was scheduled to host this year’s July 19 race, but confusion regarding the ownership of the fabled track moved Ecclestone to observe in January: “It can’t be Nurburgring because there’s nobody there”.
Talks, then, kicked off with Hockenheim about stepping in at short notice, even though the circuit is only contractually obliged every other year.
“Someone had to be willing to bear the financial risk,” Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler was quoted on Wednesday by Germany’s Sport Bild.

Full story here (http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/519451/As_a_company_we_cannot_be_gambling__Hockenheim_chi ef/). Sometimes it seems as they don't try hard enough, but we never hear all the details I suppose! :-??

Nero Horse
26th March 2015, 20:23
Vettel: "It is a shame that we do not have a German GP [this year], so I'll probably adopt the Italian GP [as my home race].

Especially for me as a Ferrari driver, Monza will be something very special. I am very excited about it."

Rob
26th March 2015, 20:35
Vettel: "It is a shame that we do not have a German GP [this year], so I'll probably adopt the Italian GP [as my home race].

Especially for me as a Ferrari driver, Monza will be something very special. I am very excited about it."

well he and everyone better enjoy this years race then, as next year could be the last one. :-??

Nero Horse
27th March 2015, 16:31
Bernie's at it again...

The German Grand Prix could remain off the sport’s calendar after this year’s cancellation, and the iconic Italian GP may be next to go, Formula One commercial head Bernie Ecclestone said Friday.

Speaking after a meeting with team leaders ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix, Ecclestone said he could not confirm the return of the race in Germany in 2016.

The German race alternates between the Nurburgring and Hockenheim. But the Nurburgring found the event was no longer commercially viable and Hockenheim could not step in at short notice.

Hockenheim has a contract for next year.

“That doesn’t make a difference,” Ecclestone said. “A lot of people have a contract.

“The trouble in Germany was the Nurburgring spent an awful lot of money which they borrowed, didn’t need to spend what they spent, and therefore didn’t need to borrow the amount they borrowed,” Ecclestone said. “They forgot to pay it back, and that caused a few ripples. It sent a bad message.”

The number of races in Europe continues to decline as the venues struggle to cover the costs of the high hosting fees in the absence of the kind of significant government support received by venues in Asia and the Middle East.

Ecclestone said the loss of all races from the sport’s European heartland “would be terrible,” but later said “whatever goes, goes” when asked about the future of the Italian Grand Prix.

“It’s funny how these people dig up all this money for things like the Olympics, swimming championships, European athletics, and God knows what else to boost the country,” Ecclestone said.

Ecclestone said he also discussed with team leaders some ideas on how to improve F1, which has suffered from declining television audiences because of recent anti-climactic championships and high participation costs which squeeze smaller teams and bar new entrants.

The F1 head, whose past ideas have included medals instead of points and artificial rain, now advocated points for qualifying and scrambled race grids.

“I suggested that maybe we take 20 points for a race,” Ecclestone said. “Ten points for qualifying and 10 for the race. Ten points for pole. The one that’s on pole starts maybe 12th on the grid, so you’re going to get a whole bunch of decent guys starting in the middle of the field.

“They (the teams) need to think about these things. It’s difficult for them. We’ve only been talking about it for five meetings.”

Ecclestone also said there is a need for the drivers to do more to promote themselves and the sport. He praised current champion Lewis Hamilton, but said past champions Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher could have done more.

“He is the best world champion we’ve had,” Ecclestone said. “Apart from the fact he’s talented, he’s a good guy, he gets out on the street and supports and promotes Formula One.”

Ecclestone said he discussed Hamilton’s promotional prowess with Vettel: “I told Sebastian, you should be doing what he’s doing.”

He said efforts to do a promotional video with Schumacher also ran into difficulties.

“We tried to do something with ‘Schuey,’ doing a recording and he would answer questions,” Ecclestone said. “When you do and you have someone there asking the questions and they say, ‘Yep, maybe,’ then they answer, ‘Could be,’ and then, ‘Don’t know,’ there’s no point. In fact, it’s negative and worse than saying nothing.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/ecclestone-casts-doubt-on-return-of-german-grand-prix-says-italy-may-be-next/article23655889/

http://i.imgur.com/Em0aE0a.jpg

http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

kev68
27th March 2015, 20:19
Its a shame that Hockenheim is being missed off the calendar its not the most technical but the long runs at top speed is great to watch. :roll

kev68