PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari chief Arrivabene says Formula 1 must be more affordable

vcs316
1st April 2015, 11:48
Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene believes Formula 1 needs to become "a bit more affordable" to safeguard its future, but thinks any proposals for standardised cars are too extreme.

The cost of competing in Formula 1 has been high on the agenda after Caterham and Marussia went into administration towards the end of last season.

Marussia required a last-minute rescue package to survive and now run as Manor, while teams including Force India asked F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone for support with their finances before Australia.

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley has repeatedly called for a reduction of costs so that independent teams can survive while making the sport more attractive to new entrants.

And although Ferrari is among the wealthiest teams on the grid, Arrivabene agrees that something needs to be done.

He insists the situation is being looked at with sufficient seriousness.

"We have to do our best to make Formula 1 a bit more affordable," Arrivabene told AUTOSPORT.

"I have to say it is a work in progress at the moment and everybody - they are really committed."

One of the suggestions to reduce costs is for teams to run a standardised car, but Arrivabene believes that is a step too far.

"I think that was one of the proposals on the agenda," he said. "You know, sometimes somebody starts from an extreme, which is something else.

"Standardisation in certain parts of the car could be an interesting cost saving way. Of course, not in all of the parts in the car.

"We are Formula 1, not another series where all the cars look the same and there is no spectacle."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118325?

TigerKing
2nd April 2015, 00:50
Hopefully CVC will listen now that Arrivabene has voiced his concerns. Although Ferrari is my first choice, i support Force India just as much. It saddens me to see them struggle this year because of all the financial issues especially after a fantastic season last year.
Perhaps Ferrari should take Force India under its wings so Hulkenberg may have a chance in a Ferrari seat? His #27 is basically asking Ferrari for it! Plus, when Kimi retires, they will need someone to take over and a full German line up with two great drivers wouldn't be too bad eh?
Anyways, Formula One shouldn't do the three cars or standardizing cars because that would make it almost the same as GP2 etc. A cost cap would be good because that would encourage teams to spend efficiently not outspend their nearest competitor.

Plus, since he's adding all the rich races (Abu Dhabi, Azerbaijan, Russia, Singapore) in the calendar to get rid of poor ones (Germany, France, eventually Monza), where is all that money going to? I read somewhere that Singapore and Malaysia spend 67 million euros to host the race whilst Monza spends around 4 million.