PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

Sriharsha
5th April 2015, 04:36
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/races/2015/China/jcr:content/par/manual_gallery_0/image1.img.1536.medium.jpg

Race Date : 12-04-2015
Tire Choices :
Option - Soft (2014 - Soft)
Prime - Medium (2014 - Medium)
Number of Laps : 56
Circuit Length : 5.451 km
Race Distance : 305.256 km

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/races/2015/China/_jcr_content/circuitMap.img.png/1421421807892.png

http://i.imgur.com/gUlI9PS.png

http://i.imgur.com/dcR0SHW.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmL-KP-iaU

Sriharsha
5th April 2015, 04:41
Things to watch out :
1.Ferrari pace in colder conditions and where they stack with Mercedes
2.New Fuel Flow Directive
PU status after the Round 2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCH_lqaWMAAHfa8.jpg:large

fmatiasii
5th April 2015, 05:24
A podium finish here will definitely show our true pace and prove to the critics that we are a force to reckon with.

Rob
5th April 2015, 06:53
What i like, a podium, and a clean decent race for Kimi to make up for last 2 races. Also, i dont want to know the result, as off to Silverstone the Sunday for the opening race of the FIA WEC :clap so watch F1 when get home at night.

Forza AF Corse #51 #71

wisepie
5th April 2015, 07:26
What i like, a podium, and a clean decent race for Kimi to make up for last 2 races. Also, i dont want to know the result, as off to Silverstone the Sunday for the opening race of the FIA WEC :clap so watch F1 when get home at night.

Forza AF Corse #51 #71
Definitely want a podium and a good result for Kimi, a win would be incredible but just to be up there at the front from quali through to race would be fantastic. Weather may interfere, of course, as it may do at Silverstone but Forza Ferrari and AF Corse whatever the weather!:thumb

PURE PASSION
5th April 2015, 09:02
I will dare to say that i want another win.A podium whould be ok also(for now)but from now on we are aiming right in the front!!!!

ManFromMilan
5th April 2015, 09:14
I'm hoping the weather plays to our strengths. It is also about time the Merc's suffers reliability issues in the race when they are pushed.

Here's hoping for a great weekend

:ferrarifl

mirafiori
5th April 2015, 09:19
If it's a dry qualiy then the aim is 3 and 4, wet then at least one car on the front row, would love to see both cars have a clean and faster start off the grid. For the race both cars in the mix and podiums for both cars. Forza Ferrari.

Paulpg87
5th April 2015, 09:25
how is the track in terms of tyres degradation?
i'm a bit scared we won't be able to get temperature in the tyres.

Sriharsha
5th April 2015, 10:02
In terms of Degradation China is medium to High in which way it goes depends on Temperature. If they are normal then we can see the High Degradation, if they are cool then we can see Graining

fmatiasii
5th April 2015, 11:32

I do think that we won't have any issue with the tire temp as expressed by seb during the winter testing.

Hornet
5th April 2015, 12:44
I'm think Ferrari should be able to fight for a podium this weekend.

The conditions in Sepang may have helped us get a win, but I think we should be able to challenge for a podium on performance alone. Merc is still ahead in terms of pure performance, but we may very well be the 2nd fastest team.

Stormy
5th April 2015, 13:44
I'm think Ferrari should be able to fight for a podium this weekend.

The conditions in Sepang may have helped us get a win, but I think we should be able to challenge for a podium on performance alone. Merc is still ahead in terms of pure performance, but we may very well be the 2nd fastest team.
I think that there is no question that we are the second fastest team :)

FerrariF60
5th April 2015, 13:45
I think that there is no question that we are the second fastest team :)

exactly, and we're slowly AIMING to be the FASTEST....let's hope by mid to end of season we'll be the TEAM TO BEAT...and that the Merc cars will see A LOT of our rear diffuser....

Kristof_F40
5th April 2015, 14:04
China is mainly hard on the fronts, but last year Mercs didn't have to much of a problems so why would they now.. I think they had a bit of an off race in Malaysia, I expect them to be stronger here, however, in Australia, when Seb had free air, he was also matching Mercs pace, so we are not that much of the pace. Merc is quicker, they were also a bit quicker in Malaysia BUT, they used there tyres to much, we did a stop less and finished 10s ahead. Not sure if it's possible to do a stop less here, if temps aren't super high I don't think that.
So our goal needs to buy to start at least 2nd row, than try to follow the merc as good as we can.
Race tyre will be the medium, which is a tyre Mercs were struggling on in Malaysia (actually they were struggling on every tyre). But somewhere I read that Ferrari focused on the medium tyre in winter testing, since that will be the tyre on which we will race the most. So if true, and we are good on the medium that good be promising.
Main thing here I think is to have a clean weekend and try and match Merc pace, if we can to a stop less that would be awesome. Otherwise it will be hard to win from them, but if we can show we have pace to almost match them, that's very promising

zike
5th April 2015, 14:35
If Alo could do 3rd last year, why cant we win this year:-D:-D

Jax
5th April 2015, 14:48
I read Ferrari will be bringing 0.5 seconds of aerodynamic developments to china :)

zike
5th April 2015, 15:27
I read Ferrari will be bringing 0.5 seconds of aerodynamic developments to china :)

Give us a link :-D

F1 Dream Team
5th April 2015, 18:04
[QUOTE=Kristof_F40;883133]China is mainly hard on the fronts, but last year Mercs didn't have to much of a problems so why would they now..

Cos last yr they had the FRIC Front to Rear Interlinked Suspension

F1 Dream Team
5th April 2015, 18:12
Kimi Raikkonen says the pace showed by Ferrari in the Malaysian Grand Prix is not a one-off and expects the team to show similar performance in China.

Sebastian Vettel beat both Mercedes cars to win in a straight fight at Sepang, with Raikkonen recovering from an early puncture to finish comfortably in fourth place. With the heat in Malaysia leading to a two-stop strategy from Vettel which proved victorious over the three-stopping Mercedes', the conditions have been highlighted as a key factor in the result.

However, Raikkonen believes the impact of the conditions has been overstated, saying Ferrari would have been much closer to Mercedes in Australia - where Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg finished 30 seconds clear of Vettel - if it had enjoyed a smooth race.

“It might be the conditions [in Malaysia], very hot and good for us but I think even in Melbourne if we got behind them at the beginning I don’t think they would have pulled away a lot," Raikkonen said. "Obviously every circuit, conditions, everything plays a part of it but for sure it doesn't take away that it’s a pretty strong package.

"We know that we’re not exactly as fast as them - at least on one lap - but we’re working on that and from where we finished last year and have been starting this year is a big step.

"The team has been doing the right things, pushing us in the right direction and little by little we will try to catch up with Mercedes, even though Sebastian won we still know we have to improve in certain areas.”

http://en.f1i.com/news/8693-raikkonen-malaysia-pace-no-one-off.html?

abbottcostello
6th April 2015, 00:11
I think I am going to just start paying closer attention to what Kimi is saying! So far he has been pretty accurate with his observations of our cars potential. :lol

Giallo 550
6th April 2015, 01:05
I'll be the one to say it. Another podium is in order and it should not come as a surprise if we see another Ferrari driver at the top of the podium this weekend.

killer
6th April 2015, 01:43
Both cars 3 and 4, 4 and 5, or 5 and 6 are realistic goals, IMO. Mercedes are still on top and I cannot count out Williams just yet. A strong performance in China will be massive for the team even in non-tangible terms, though--it should prove to be a huge morale boost that will serve us well throughout 2015.

abbottcostello
6th April 2015, 06:52
From Ferrari.com

Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai
The Shanghai International Circuit has hosted every edition of the Chinese Grand Prix. It’s one of the new generation of circuits, designed by Hermann Tilke and is 5.451 kilometres in length. It features a mix of high-speed and right angle corners, as well as some out and out hairpins, which compel the driver to brake hard, increasing the number of passing opportunities. The hardest compromise to get right is the balance between aero downforce and top speed. Going too far either way can end up with the car struggling to stay on track or being too slow down the straights. Tyre wear is also a key factor here. Scuderia Ferrari won the maiden Chinese race, in 2004, courtesy of Rubens Barrichello, obtaining three further victories, with Michael Schumacher, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso.
Turn 13
Leading onto a straight that’s over a kilometre long, getting through it well is vital to carry speed down the aforementioned straight and to fend off anyone attempting a DRS-enabled attack.
Turn 15 and pit lane entrance
It’s tricky, because it’s a shallow but quick turn and leads on to a section where DRS can be used. The pit lane entrance is another place where it’s easy to make a mistake, which Lewis Hamilton can attest to, after he got stuck in the gravel, which put Raikkonen back in the 2007 title fight.

Brembo
6th April 2015, 07:12
Ferrari is ahead of Mercs in performance as of last race. Seb knows how to stay up front! That's how we won the last race. Mercs are no longer the team to beat, Ferrari is. Mercs needs to watch out for Felipe and co. Source...Kimi !

aroutis
6th April 2015, 08:58
I honestly don't see why we should not be aiming for a podium, a possible 2/3 or a 1/2.
This is not an optimistic scenario ,rather a realistic one, with only a little asterisk, that we're not going to be influenced by that rule that comes in place come this weekend.

Jax
6th April 2015, 09:11
LOL

Sriharsha
6th April 2015, 09:33
I say just wait and watch. Pirelli said temps will range over 11-15 C which will help a lot with tire wear for the tire eaters. Also how Fuel flow directive will effect is also yet to unfold. All i just hope is that its not us doing the trick with fuel flow and merc is the one behind it

PURE PASSION
6th April 2015, 09:49
I say just wait and watch. Pirelli said temps will range over 11-15 C which will help a lot with tire wear for the tire eaters. Also how Fuel flow directive will effect is also yet to unfold. All i just hope is that its not us doing the trick with fuel flow and merc is the one behind it
Well, i see the team on the same mood (quiten upbeat) as before,so i dont think it has to do with us!:-)

fratelliferrari
6th April 2015, 09:55
Well, i see the team on the same mood (quiten upbeat) as before,so i dont think it has to do with us!:-)

Let's hope it's the Mercs! Than we can have 1-2's for the rest of the season :-D Sorry if Iam a bit overexcited...

PURE PASSION
6th April 2015, 10:06
Let's hope it's the Mercs! Than we can have 1-2's for the rest of the season :-D Sorry if Iam a bit overexcited...

Who isn't???:-D

Nand0Nand0
6th April 2015, 10:25
I think the fuel flow changes for this race are being overstated. They will have little impact on the race with perhaps a slight chance to impact qualifying.

When thinking about our performance improvement, we have rightly focused on how well we did in the extreme heat of the race, but remember how well Seb did in Q. So I'm fully expecting us to be competitive in China. In fact, I hope for a lot of changing conditions over the weekend and practice sessions. What we do know for sure is that the SF15-T is easy to setup and "play with". It seems the Merc is definitely not like this. So the more the conditions change the harder it will be for them to get a setup they like.

WS6TransAm01
6th April 2015, 11:12
I honestly think a 2-3 finish is possible. Hamilton is still strong and the Merc is still the fastest but Nico looks mentally fragile. He seems to be constantly asking for coaching which he can't get and his interviews are awkward and self deprecating. I think if Seb and Kimi but him under real pressure he will fold like a cheap beach chair.

Nero Horse
6th April 2015, 14:49
China Grand Prix Preview: Shanghai, April 9-12, 2015

FORMULA ONE HEADS TO CHINA WITH MEDIUM AND SOFT TYRES:
THE SAME CHOICE AS THE SEASON-OPENER IN AUSTRALIA

ONCE AGAIN, AFTER MALAYSIA, TYRE STRATEGY IS SET TO BE CRUCIAL
ALSOIN THE COOLER CONDITIONS OF SHANGHAI

VARIABLE WEATHER AND FLOWING CORNERS PERFECTLY SUITED
TO THE MOST VERSATILE TYRES IN PIRELLI’S RANGE

The Chinese Grand Prix has become well known for providing some exciting races characterised by tyre strategy in recent years. With fast corners, a smooth surface, and plenty of overtaking opportunities, the P Zero White medium and P Zero Yellow soft tyres should be well suited to the conditions, which are generally temperate.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director: “The weather tends to be quite unpredictable in China, although generally we can expect to see temperatures that are significantly cooler than those we experienced in Malaysia. Last year we had reasonably stable weather conditions in China whereas in previous years it has been more up and down – so this throws in a very interesting variable. The front-left tyre is the most stressed in Shanghai, while the traction demands of the circuit also give a lot of work to the rear tyres. Although we haven’t actually yet seen a very hot Chinese Grand Prix during our time in Formula One, if you look at the weather history there is potential for this to happen as well. This would make things very difficult for the tyres – Shanghai is a big, open circuit and if you add in heat, it creates a lot of energy – but we’ve seen from Malaysia that these tyres will rise to the challenge. As Shanghai is a large circuit there’s plenty of opportunity for overtaking and big on-track battles. Strategy-wise, we’d normally expect a two-stop race.”

The biggest challenges for the tyres:
Around 80% of the lap in China is spent cornering, which means that energy is nearly always going into the tyres. The frequent acceleration out of the corners means that the drivers have to guard against wheelspin. Downforce levels run by the teams in China are generally medium, in order to maintain optimal top speeds through both the corners and straights.

Cool weather means that graining can be an issue with both compounds, which accelerates both wear and degradation, especially at the front. Plenty of forces go through the front tyres due to the number of high-energy corners – such as turn one, which is almost a full circle – and the heavy braking areas, which causes weight to transfer towards the front of the car.

The P Zero White medium is a low working range compound, while the P Zero Yellow soft is a high working range compound. This pairing ensures the capability to work effectively under a wide range of conditions: one reason why the combination has proved to be so effective.

Throughout the banked Turn 13, with maximum downforce pushing onto the car, the contact patch of the tyre can increase significantly compared to when the car is stationary.

Last year’s strategy and how the race was won: Lewis Hamilton won the race using a two-stopper last year, with a soft-medium-medium strategy. As is the case this year, the race lasted for 56 laps. Hamilton made his first stop on lap 17 and then stopped for more mediums on lap 38. The top 15 all stopped twice, with the longest stint on the medium tyre lasting 27 laps and the longest stint on the soft tyre being 17 laps.

Expected performance gap between the two compounds: 1.2-1.4 seconds per lap.

Expected weather conditions for the race: Temperatures between 11 and 15 degrees centigrade, partially cloudy, with a 10% possibility of rain on race day. Conditions can vary though.

The tyre choices so far this year:
http://i.imgur.com/KcsQCsp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H012dAB.jpg

Forzi
6th April 2015, 14:55
Been a while since i had a serious wish of a 1-2 for Ferrari before the weekend started. It's a track with long straights, lots of similar characteristics to Malaysia. High, might well be THE highest tire deg having track this season. All of these do play to our strengths, maybe even more than Malaysia.

Rosberg will be strong here, knowing how he usually does here, though the same goes for Seb. He does seem to like the track.

Might be another one to remember :-)

Tony
6th April 2015, 14:59
I'm still not expecting Ferrari to beat Merc on outright performance this race... would be very shocked to see that actually... I think Ferrari are a lot closer than originally expected, but still slightly slower than Merc... I hope they prove me wrong though!

gvera
6th April 2015, 17:18
I'm still not expecting Ferrari to beat Merc on outright performance this race... would be very shocked to see that actually... I think Ferrari are a lot closer than originally expected, but still slightly slower than Merc... I hope they prove me wrong though!
+1

ferrari4life
6th April 2015, 17:40

I'll be happy if we qualify right behind them and stay there and close throughout the race. put the pressure on and hope for a mistake. that will be spectacular.

mark p
6th April 2015, 21:39
Good thing is before Malaysia gap looked large and there were thoughts Merc had even more in hand. Even if Malaysia was partly down to the heat Merc will want to make a statement. I doubt they will run heavier in practice and hide pace. I think they will aim to smash everyone in every session so we have a more representative track than Melbourne and more representative temperatures than Malaysia. If there is a gap Ferrari will know exactly what they have to work towards. Malaysia may have forced Mercs hand.

Fabulous
6th April 2015, 22:43

^

Dino
7th April 2015, 01:09
Good thing is before Malaysia gap looked large and there were thoughts Merc had even more in hand. Even if Malaysia was partly down to the heat Merc will want to make a statement. I doubt they will run heavier in practice and hide pace. I think they will aim to smash everyone in every session so we have a more representative track than Melbourne and more representative temperatures than Malaysia. If there is a gap Ferrari will know exactly what they have to work towards. Malaysia may have forced Mercs hand.

Mercedes cannot bluff now!!They know both their cars will have problems with the left front tyres.
Ferrari must come up with a setup that is easier on the fronts and it's game on again.[Wear and graining]
And if the Mercs turn up with the drag/downforce they had in Malasia we will get them on the straights.

fmatiasii
7th April 2015, 02:40
I'll be happy if we qualify right behind them and stay there and close throughout the race. put the pressure on and hope for a mistake. that will be spectacular.

Yes I agree. I do hope we beat them again but purely on performance and not on mistakes.

mirafiori
7th April 2015, 07:11
For me the most important thing for Ferrari is for both cars to finish with a decent amount of points, with Vettel only three points behind Hamilton and with a lot of development to come it's important we stay in touch with the Mercedes team. Can't wait for Sunday.

Sriharsha
7th April 2015, 07:18
I think we need to rattle merc more by putting them under pressure. Their strategy is their key weak point. And our 100% priority must be having both drivers have clean weekends and finishing ahead of /splitting/ right behind mercs

fmatiasii
7th April 2015, 07:54
I think we need to rattle merc more by putting them under pressure. Their strategy is their key weak point. And our 100% priority must be having both drivers have clean weekends and finishing ahead of /splitting/ right behind mercs

believe me they are already rattled.:lol

vcs316
7th April 2015, 08:07
Mercs are bringing in quite a few aero updates for China.

Rishu
7th April 2015, 08:09

They already have our attention. I read they have advanced all their planned upgrades for this season in order to stay in front.

fratelliferrari
7th April 2015, 08:10

Read that too :-s

vcs316
7th April 2015, 08:43
Here is the article:

LONDON, England - Mercedes will bring aerodynamic improvements to the 2015 Chinese GP after a full analysis of why the F1 world champions lost out to Ferrari in Malaysia, according to technical head Paddy Lowe.

Sebastian Vettel triumph at Sepang, in the Ferrari after leaving Red Bull, ended a run of eight successive wins for Mercedes.

The victory was Ferrari's first since 2013 and dispelled fears that Mercedes were so far ahead they could win every race in 2015.

WEAKNESSES IDENTIFIED

Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff said that Malaysia had been a "wake-up call" for his team after world champion Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg had chalked up a comfortable one-two in the Australian season-opener.

Lowe said in a team preview of the April 12 race in Shanghai: "We've spent time analysing the weekend in Sepang to identify areas for improvement. The most significant weakness was our tyre management during long runs.

Lowe said exceptionally high temperatures in Malaysia had helped Ferrari and worked against Mercedes but it was essential to have a car which performed at all circuits and in all conditions.

Lowe said: "So there is work to be done on that front.

"It is now clearer than ever that there is serious competition for this world championship, so we will continue to work flat out for performance gains. We have a range of new aerodynamic developments for Shanghai and are targeting an improved performance from Malaysia."

zike
7th April 2015, 08:49
Here is the article:

No way that they can identify and update in two weeks time, either he is laying or they had the update in pipeline

Sriharsha
7th April 2015, 09:02
believe me they are already rattled.:lol

They already have our attention. I read they have advanced all their planned upgrades for this season in order to stay in front.
Im not saying they aren't rattled they are now its time to make them even more rattled. Let them bring the updates and with our decent upgrade package we heard which will debut in china if we are closer to them again that will make then even nervous. As i said Their strategy is key weak point of Mercedes. So the closer we are the better points we can get from them

Frank Dhont
7th April 2015, 09:07
Should Ferrari invite Hamilton, Rosberg, Wollf & Lowe to the Ferrari technical briefing on Friday?

fmatiasii
7th April 2015, 09:22
No way that they can identify and update in two weeks time, either he is laying or they had the update in pipeline

you're right. I also doubt it if they were able to develop an update for china that soon, but nevertheless we will also have an update for our car i heard.

F1 Dream Team
7th April 2015, 10:37
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/can-ferrari-keep-the-f1-heat-on-mercedes-in-china/?

Ferrari fans will be praying that the heat is turned up this weekend in Shanghai – just as it was at Sepang – to cause the Mercedes challenge to wither.

The key to Sebastian Vettel's victory in Malaysia was partly great driving, partly superior race strategy but mainly fantastic tyre management that allowed him to make one less pitstop than the Mercedes.

And that relied a lot on the track temperature that came with the high ambient temperatures.

Now we arrive in Shanghai: a very different prospect. The ambient temperature is forecast to be 19C – pleasantly warm, but nowhere near the sticky heat of Kuala Lumpur. The track surface is highly unlikely to be anywhere near as hot as a result.

Two very different tracks

The circuit, too, has a very different characteristic. Whereas the casual F1 fan believes that all 'Tilkedromes' are the same, Shanghai is poles apart from Sepang as – in terms of tyre wear – it is front-limited as opposed to rear.

Mercedes' problem in Malaysia stemmed from a lack of balance: its rear tyres were degrading faster than the fronts, meaning the back of the car was difficult to control.

In Shanghai, the degradation is harsher on the fronts, due to it's unique high-to-low speed Turn 1, the medium-speed Turns 7-8-9-10 switchback sequence, and the punishing banked acceleration zone of Turn 13 that appears to go on forever.

This means you'll first lose grip from the fronts, rather than the rear – remember Kimi Raikkonen dropping like a stone in his Lotus a few years back? A tyre gamble here, like Vettel managed at Sepang, can be truly disastrous.

Straightline speed is key

It also boasts a monster of a back straight, which could also play a part. From what we saw in Malaysia, the Ferrari isn't short of top-end speed, but the Merc still holds sway in the torque stakes.

With DRS in play on two of the straights, this could also play a huge factor in the outcome if it boils down to a late-race duel.

Bear in mind that this was where Nico Rosberg scored the first of his eight grand prix wins for Mercedes in 2012.

But recall too that Fernando Alonso won for Ferrari here in 2013, and Lewis won last season…

And while it might not guarantee another thriller like we enjoyed a fortnight ago, at least we go into a race not 100 per cent certain of the outcome at the front.

And you don't have to be a Ferrari fan to rejoice at that.

Rob
7th April 2015, 10:37
you're right. I also doubt it if they were able to develop an update for china that soon, but nevertheless we will also have an update for our car i heard.

all updates are done weeks before, like the Barcelona updates are all ready now. If Merc hard on the tyres, its something you can not really fix, unless build a whole new chassis. Can design new suspension, but that means they would have to redesign the whole car to work with new suspension.

zike
7th April 2015, 11:05
all updates are done weeks before, like the Barcelona updates are all ready now. If Merc hard on the tyres, its something you can not really fix, unless build a whole new chassis. Can design new suspension, but that means they would have to redesign the whole car to work with new suspension.

Yes, just Merc PR talk

Sriharsha
7th April 2015, 11:11
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118384

Ferrari's winter engine improvement has been credited as a major factor in its turnaround.
Allison said that programme did not begin in earnest until the middle of 2014, and that work on this year's aerodynamic concept had actually come first.
"The aero programme was around about early January 2014, the engine programme much later," he said.
"Work was going on, but the real momentum of the engine programme was late May [2014]."

Kristof_F40
7th April 2015, 11:24

Perhaps they just mean they are going to use different set up of their Aero, since they ran a lot of downforce in Malaysia?

zike
7th April 2015, 12:02
Do you think the new fuel-flow measuring system will cause Mercedes orFerrari to lose pace?

FerrariF60
7th April 2015, 12:03
Do you think the new fuel-flow measuring system will cause Mercedes orFerrari to lose pace?

yeah, that is another KEY question...let's all hope it WILL affect Merc more then will affect Ferrari

all in all i have good feelings about this weekend...

Kristof_F40
7th April 2015, 12:38

Perhaps RBR will loose even more pace :D
They are the ones who Always push it...

Senna4Ever
7th April 2015, 12:43

lets wait and see ... somehow it doesn't shock me ... I'm confident ...

Ilsan
7th April 2015, 15:19
https://twitter.com/RoboCoP_G/status/585373806807617536
"For @ScuderiaFerrari, in China only small aerodynamic changes of wings, air intake and brake cooling."

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/585352125271662592
"Mercedes to run new aero parts in China including a front wing that was ready for Malaysia but not used."

Don't know if they were complacent or their program was postponed due to Hamilton's reduced track time and not having enough data on them.

Nero Horse
7th April 2015, 16:05
It was absolutely great to win in Malaysia, but I have a feeling that this Chinese GP is gonna be the true test of our competitiveness. I seriously doubt, however, that we're going to be miles behind the Mercs again in this race, as some detractors are saying. The hot conditions in Malaysia may have helped us, but I believe that we now have a car good enough to challenge the Mercs on any track and with any conditions.

Another win would be amazing, of course, but even if we don't win this race I would be happy and satisfied if we can be close to Mercs throughout the weekend and put them under pressure, which I think we'll be able to do just fine. Some people seem to be under the impression that the Malaysian GP was just a one-off and that we won only because the hot conditions favored us and the Mercs will be dominating again in China...we shall see, but I think we have a surprise in store for those naysayers.

We may not be quite as fast as the damn Mercs just yet, but we are definitely getting closer and closer in terms of outright speed. Hopefully the team will bring some nice updates for this race as well and then anything's possible. It's going to be another interesting weekend, that's for sure. ;-)

Forza Ferrari!

Tony
7th April 2015, 16:13
I think Mercedes has exposed their weakness in Malaysia. They need to run a certain downforce level to provent the car from sliding around too much and wearing their tyres even more rapidly. So if they attempt to run less downforce this race, I suspect they will eat their tyres quickly because they will be sliding around a lot... I think we're seeing the Merc from 2013 this year...

stefa
7th April 2015, 16:25
What is the weather forecast for this race weekend?

F1 Dream Team
7th April 2015, 16:34
I think Mercedes has exposed their weakness in Malaysia. They need to run a certain downforce level to provent the car from sliding around too much and wearing their tyres even more rapidly. So if they attempt to run less downforce this race, I suspect they will eat their tyres quickly because they will be sliding around a lot... I think we're seeing the Merc from 2013 this year...

Merc had the fric suspension mastered banning it has hurt them more than others n now they eating tyres again

mm154
7th April 2015, 16:37

Cool but getting warmer as the weekend goes on...

F1 Dream Team
7th April 2015, 16:39

weather forecast
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/1796236

Ilsan
7th April 2015, 16:40
Looks like Sunday will be warmer than initially forecasted.
http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/China/Shanghai-International-Circuit/14-Day-Forecast.aspx

darkchild
7th April 2015, 17:22
Yea weather for race should be hotter so thats good thing. We should ride on this "lucky" wave until Barcelona. Keep pressure on them and get good points in China and Bahrain. After that its big update time in Barcelona, and then we get more serious.

Certainly couldn't have imagined better start of the season after the disaster that was last year...Hoping for 1-2, expecting 2/4 hopefully.

F1NAC
7th April 2015, 17:24
Yea weather for race should be hotter so thats good thing. We should ride on this "lucky" wave until Barcelona. Keep pressure on them and get serious points in China and Bahrain. After that its big update time in Barcelona, and then we get more serious.

Certainly couldn't have imagined better start of the season after the disaster that was last year...Hoping for 1-2, expecting 2/4 hopefully.

Bahrain wont be hot coz its night race -.-

stefa
7th April 2015, 20:20
Yea weather for race should be hotter so thats good thing. We should ride on this "lucky" wave until Barcelona. Keep pressure on them and get good points in China and Bahrain. After that its big update time in Barcelona, and then we get more serious.

Agree with you :-D

killer
8th April 2015, 00:52

Thing is, mate, they can run with high DF settings and trust their power unit to overcome any drag-related deficiencies. Could very well be their set up for Sepang was a mistake in hindsight--maybe they ran less DF believing there would be no need to push; then when Hamilton could not drop Vettel in the opening laps and when the Ferraris came to show very good pace throughout the race, they had to lean on the tyres more.

paolo lalli
8th April 2015, 01:04
Merc doing all the talking will do this will do that to avenge loss ferrari nice and chilled perfect .The pressure is on merc another loss to the ferrari and they will be in a really bad head space hope so

Fer12
8th April 2015, 02:02
People are pretty pumped up about Ferrari's performance in the forthcoming race, but we have to remember there were certain circumstances that lead to that result. I very much doubt Mercs advantage is wiped out in a single race. The best we can hope for is 3-4 unless they trip over themselves.

Brembo
8th April 2015, 07:16
Circumstances being we had the better driver and faster car leading to the result of a clean honest win. I doubt Ferrari's advantage last race is wiped out. Just like Ferrari's advantage wasn't wiped out after the first race. Merc needs to be careful Williams doesn't put ther fathur back.

fmatiasii
8th April 2015, 08:11

then that is good news for us, does that means that the merc will struggle with their tire management regardless of the track?

Nick Singer
8th April 2015, 08:18
As some have suggested, I think ROS is Mercedes' weak link. He is clearly unhappy seeing HAM carry on where he left off last season and it seems to be affecting both his aggression and his decision-making etc

Whatever improvements we may have made in qualy and race pace etc, ROS is the easier of our targets. Beat him regularly and the Mercs will be in a spin!

Kristof_F40
8th April 2015, 08:51
As some have suggested, I think ROS is Mercedes' weak link. He is clearly unhappy seeing HAM carry on where he left off last season and it seems to be affecting both his aggression and his decision-making etc

Whatever improvements we may have made in qualy and race pace etc, ROS is the easier of our targets. Beat him regularly and the Mercs will be in a spin!

The thing with Nico is: he isn't that bad, but he definitly isn't one of the best in F1, I think he's more like Button. Last year, he was able to score some good points in the middle of the season, because HAM was having some troubles (with the car and with himself, his attitude) and that kept him in the championship. But when HAM was focused again, there was no chance for Nico. So, this season again Mercs have the best car. But HAM is still focused: so what happens is that Nico finishes behind Lewis, he knows that wen Lewis is focused he can't win from him, he needs bad luck from Lewis, or different strategy etc. That's why he Always "crying" to his engineer what he needs to do. Obviously, when Ferrari becomes closer to Merc, he will be the first victim, and if HAM wins and VET/RAI is second and he is 3, than thats more points lost than last year, so it will be much harder for him to compete against Lewis. Also, Ferrari being this close means Mercs dominance won't last forever, so a chance like last year will probably not come again. So he need to do it this year, but it will be even harder, and it's not working at the moment. He's a clean second behind Lewis, but I never felt some sort of treat to Lewis.
What will be interesting is the contract at Merc. Why did it take this long for Lewis contract? Is it the money, or is it number 1 status when competitors come close? I think Merc know that Nico is a good number 2, scoring points for constructor, but when it gets thight with an other team for wDC, he's not the man you want..

zike
8th April 2015, 09:48
Sebastian Vettel's shock defeat of Lewis Hamilton in Malaysia helped re-invigorate Formula 1, but the focus now switches to if that momentum can continue.

Every F1 fan will tune into this Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix hoping for a race as exciting as the last.

But the likelihood of this weekend's Shanghai race playing out in similar fashion is probably slim.

The Malaysian GP took place on 62°C asphalt, whereas China is set for temperatures much closer to those seen at the season opener in Melbourne.

In actual fact temperatures are likely to be even cooler - putting conditions somewhere between those witnessed in Australia and the final pre-season test at Barcelona in February, where Mercedes was outstanding.

Cooler conditions should help alleviate the sort of extreme tyre degradation the W06 and its drivers struggled to manage last time out.

The Shanghai layout also switches the emphasis of tyre management, placing more strain on the fronts than the rears.

So perhaps any inherent set-up advantage Ferrari held over Mercedes in Malaysia won't necessarily translate here.

The tyres Pirelli has chosen for this race are a step softer than those used in Malaysia, but ambient temperatures aren't expected to top 20°C in Shanghai on Sunday, so it's doubtful we'll see the sort of strategic variation we saw in Sepang either.

If China ends up being a two-stop certainty - like last year's race, in similar conditions, on the same tyre compounds - it will bolster Mercedes twofold, because its drivers won't be so concerned with managing rubber, while the team is unlikely to face the sort of strategic pressure under which it creaked in Malaysia.

A straightforward race is ultimately good for Mercedes because it still fundamentally possesses the fastest car in Formula 1.

As team boss Toto Wolff acknowledged in the aftermath of his squad's Sepang defeat, Ferrari has done a "good job", but it hasn't yet got enough pace from the SF15-T to challenge race in, race out.

Ferrari technical chief James Allison certainly thinks his team will be in for a tougher time this weekend.

"There is a lot of work to do until we can come to a race weekend confident we can hunt for victory from the first session," he told reporters after Ferrari's Malaysian success.

Ferrari was able to take Mercedes on in a straight fight
"But we do have a fairly exciting development program, so it should be an interesting season at least to see if we can catch up.

"Quite what problems are being carried over in Mercland I don't know, but I'm fairly sure we will have our work cut out in China to do anything like as impressive a job as we have here."

In short, without the sort of extreme conditions witnessed in Malaysia don't expect another red miracle in China this weekend.

But do expect Ferrari to put Mercedes under greater pressure as the campaign wears on, which should ultimately make this season more unpredictable than the last.

That's surely something every F1 fan wants to see.

PURE PASSION
8th April 2015, 10:05
Sebastian Vettel's shock defeat of Lewis Hamilton in Malaysia helped re-invigorate Formula 1, but the focus now switches to if that momentum can continue.

Every F1 fan will tune into this Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix hoping for a race as exciting as the last.

But the likelihood of this weekend's Shanghai race playing out in similar fashion is probably slim.

The Malaysian GP took place on 62°C asphalt, whereas China is set for temperatures much closer to those seen at the season opener in Melbourne.

In actual fact temperatures are likely to be even cooler - putting conditions somewhere between those witnessed in Australia and the final pre-season test at Barcelona in February, where Mercedes was outstanding.

Cooler conditions should help alleviate the sort of extreme tyre degradation the W06 and its drivers struggled to manage last time out.

The Shanghai layout also switches the emphasis of tyre management, placing more strain on the fronts than the rears.

So perhaps any inherent set-up advantage Ferrari held over Mercedes in Malaysia won't necessarily translate here.

The tyres Pirelli has chosen for this race are a step softer than those used in Malaysia, but ambient temperatures aren't expected to top 20°C in Shanghai on Sunday, so it's doubtful we'll see the sort of strategic variation we saw in Sepang either.

If China ends up being a two-stop certainty - like last year's race, in similar conditions, on the same tyre compounds - it will bolster Mercedes twofold, because its drivers won't be so concerned with managing rubber, while the team is unlikely to face the sort of strategic pressure under which it creaked in Malaysia.

A straightforward race is ultimately good for Mercedes because it still fundamentally possesses the fastest car in Formula 1.

As team boss Toto Wolff acknowledged in the aftermath of his squad's Sepang defeat, Ferrari has done a "good job", but it hasn't yet got enough pace from the SF15-T to challenge race in, race out.

Ferrari technical chief James Allison certainly thinks his team will be in for a tougher time this weekend.

"There is a lot of work to do until we can come to a race weekend confident we can hunt for victory from the first session," he told reporters after Ferrari's Malaysian success.

Ferrari was able to take Mercedes on in a straight fight
"But we do have a fairly exciting development program, so it should be an interesting season at least to see if we can catch up.

"Quite what problems are being carried over in Mercland I don't know, but I'm fairly sure we will have our work cut out in China to do anything like as impressive a job as we have here."

In short, without the sort of extreme conditions witnessed in Malaysia don't expect another red miracle in China this weekend.

But do expect Ferrari to put Mercedes under greater pressure as the campaign wears on, which should ultimately make this season more unpredictable than the last.

That's surely something every F1 fan wants to see.
Nice!!!I really like being the underdog!!!We dont have much pressure to win,but when we do is so much sweeter!!!!!

bondilad
8th April 2015, 10:14
Nice!!!I really like being the underdog!!!We dont have much pressure to win,but when we do is so much sweeter!!!!!

I also like the fact that Ferrari has been rather quiet since the end of last season and just got on with their work without having too much media attention.

But when Ferrari wins, it is such a glamorous event.

F1 Dream Team
8th April 2015, 12:11
Williams bringing updates for China
Williams will use the Chinese Grand Prix to bring updates to its FW37 as it looks to claw back ground on the leaders following an indifferent start to the new year.

Though comfortably the third fastest team on the grid following the opening two races, Williams has lost ground to Ferrari and Mercedes, a gulf it is hoping to bridge as the series heads to Shanghai and the Chinese Grand Prix.

Regarded as one of the more demanding circuits on the F1 calendar, particularly for tyres, due to the long corners and the traditionally cool temperatures, Williams' Rob Smedley says it is a technical challenge

“On the back of a very hot race in Malaysia, we head to China where we are expecting considerably different conditions. It is often a struggle to get the temperature in to the tyres for qualifying, and you then have to manage front left tyre degradation in the race. That struggle will be even tougher this year with the improved rear Pirelli construction.

“It's a challenging circuit, with a tough left hander before one of the longest straights on the calendar. The turn 1, 2, 3 complex is also very interesting and offers a good technical challenge. There are two different techniques here for a quick qualifying lap and a quick race lap, so we will work through these early in the weekend to be prepared.

“We have a few upgrades coming to the FW37 that we are expecting to deliver an increase in performance. There is always a high probability of rain, so we will also need to be prepared for this possible curveball.”

It is a view shared by driver Felipe Massa, though he believes he can apply the lessons learned from pre-season testing in Barcelona.

“China is a similar track to Barcelona where we have conducted most of our pre-season testing, so we have a lot of data that can assist us in setting up the car. The track is harsh on the front tyres, often resulting in graining. It's a good circuit, and you will always see overtaking there due to the long straight, which has the added DRS effect as well.”

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/521123/Williams_bringing_updates_for_China/

F1 Dream Team
8th April 2015, 13:36
Good old days ...... http://www.jackleslief1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/f1-flashback-schumacher-scores-win.html?

F1 Flashback – Schumacher scores win number 91
With just two points separating Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso in the championship, the 2006 Chinese Grand Prix was an important one for the seven-time world champion.

© Scuderia Ferrari
The German put in a stunning performance at the Shanghai International Circuit, scoring his 91st victory and drawing level with his title rival in the drivers' standings.

The race took place just a few weeks after Schumacher announced his retirement from F1 at the end of the 2006 season. Of course, he returned in 2010, but at the time he was working hard to end the year on a positive note.

Chasing title number eight and his second consecutive victory, Schumacher could only manage sixth place in qualifying. Despite being known as the Regenmeister, Bridgestone-shod cars were at a serious disadvantage in the wet conditions, and the rain showers on Saturday meant it was an all-Renault front row, with Alonso on pole position from his team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella.

© Scuderia Ferrari

A damp track greeted drivers on Sunday morning, with Alonso and Fisichella quickly establishing a comfortable lead at the front of the field. However, the sun appeared in Shanghai and the circuit gradually dried out, with Schumacher quickly moving ahead of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello.

He was still 23.5 seconds behind Alonso ahead of the first round of pit stops, but the Spaniard opted to change his front tyres for new intermediates, rather than leave them on to wear down to being almost slicks. It was a costly error, with Fisichella breezing past him and taking the lead.

The track conditions had switched and were now in favour of Schumacher, and he was able to follow Fisichella through one lap later. He switched to dry tyres on lap 40 and refuelled, with Renault reacting on the following tour. With the Michelin tyres typically taking longer to warm up, Schumacher took advantage and stormed ahead of the Italian driver at Turn 1 after a small mistake in the tricky conditions.

© Scuderia Ferrari

After a slow pit stop due to a wheel nut issue, Alonso bounced back and passed his team-mate with nine laps remaining. However, he couldn’t catch the race leader, despite rain falling once again in the final stages. Schumacher crossed the line three seconds clear of the Spaniard, securing his 91st and final F1 victory.

Fisichella finished a distant third, with Button, Pedro de la Rosa, Barrichello, Nick Heidfeld and Mark Webber completing the top eight. Barrichello took the chequered flag without a front wing after colliding with Heidfeld at the sector three hairpin on the last lap.

Keep fighting, Michael.

Tony
8th April 2015, 13:47
Thing is, mate, they can run with high DF settings and trust their power unit to overcome any drag-related deficiencies. Could very well be their set up for Sepang was a mistake in hindsight--maybe they ran less DF believing there would be no need to push; then when Hamilton could not drop Vettel in the opening laps and when the Ferraris came to show very good pace throughout the race, they had to lean on the tyres more.

That's very true mate! I meant my comment more in context of Shanghai, if Merc runs more wing, they give a lot up on the straight line where Ferrari can catch them. If they reduce downforce to compensate, they have high tyre wear... I think there will be a few circuits this year where Ferrari can keep up with the Merc's (they wont necessarily be faster, they will just be hanging around IMHO)...

vcs316
8th April 2015, 14:05
Maranello, 8 April – The Formula 1 World Championship stays in Asia for Round 3, moving on to China. “It’s a very different circuit to the one in Malaysia, both in terms of its technical characteristics and when it comes to the weather,” says Esteban Gutierrez, Scuderia Ferrari’s third driver.

“Shanghai has many fast corners, such as turn 1, that leads on to the long finish straight. This, along with the fact that usually, it’s quite cool in Shanghai, means the tyres are made to work in a very different way when compared to Sepang. In fact, in Malaysia, we benefited from the fact our tyres had very low degradation in the high temperatures. However, in China, the track surface will be much cooler and there are some very heavy braking points: at the end of the long straight, you actually have to decelerate from 330 km/h down to 60 in around 120 metres.

It’s definitely a good passing opportunity, but if you don’t have a well-balanced car, then you can suffer from tyre graining after just a few laps. “I think it will be a harder race than Malaysia for us,” concludes Esteban. “But, all the same, we hope to be able to reduce the gap still further to our competitors and to make the most of our current potential with both our cars. China is a very important market for Ferrari road cars and we want to do well in front of the many Prancing Horse owners and fans there.”

Nero Horse
8th April 2015, 14:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnh0ID2hPE4

fratelliferrari
8th April 2015, 15:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnh0ID2hPE4

Thanks for posting :-D

PURE PASSION
8th April 2015, 18:58
Hoping for #Kimi podium this weekend at the #ChiGP
If mercs thought we were only fast because it was hot, we are fast cause we are Ferrari!

From Treviso
8th April 2015, 20:37
I hope Sauber are beginning to put some proper development into their car now that they have genuine speed - they need to take a step up and mingle with the Williams in qualy and the race. They are a team that keeps rising up from mediocrity to produce good race cars every few years that are forgiving for the drivers, good on the tyres and just outright fast!

Also, 2 weeks ago from today, most were not expecting the Ferraris to out-muscle the Mercs to produce a win, so we need to be open minded with the China race that could see a few surprises, such as the Williams fighting with us. On the other hand, we could build something wonderful from the previous race by harnessing that energy and confidence to produce even better results, whilst the Mercs are knee-jerking new parts and changes into the picture that may upset their form, balance and race-craft. Nothing like being focused when in the hunt, and there's nothing more difficult than being at the front and trying to improve what cannot be improved.

Tony
8th April 2015, 20:46
Did Kimi really say that?

Sriharsha
9th April 2015, 05:18
PU status After the Malaysian Grand Prix
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCH_lqaWMAAHfa8.jpg:large

fratelliferrari
9th April 2015, 08:06
Anyone has a link for the press conference?

samboozik
9th April 2015, 08:38
Anyone has a link for the press conference?

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHuN4Swqvo

fratelliferrari
9th April 2015, 09:02
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHuN4Swqvo

Thank you :thumb

zike
9th April 2015, 09:14
Do we have upgrades for this GP?

wisepie
9th April 2015, 09:19
I'd also like to see Sauber give a better show than they did in Malaysia, as long as Nasr doesn't keep getting in Kimi's way. It would confirm that our engine is showing its true potential and fluster the Merc-powered teams even more.

F1NAC
9th April 2015, 09:37
Do we have upgrades for this GP?

Just small wings adjustments for this type of circuit.

Ojie1214
9th April 2015, 10:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_JqyAgQ_ms

Ted is for Ferrari :clap
David is for Mercedes :furious

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 10:54
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/521209/FIA_puts_fuel_flow_spotlight_on_Ferrari_Mercedes

FIA puts fuel flow spotlight on Ferrari, Mercedes
Ferrari and Mercedes will be in the FIA’s spotlight this weekend in China.

Some weeks ago, we reported that the governing body had told teams that the fuel flow rules would come under closer scrutiny from the Chinese grand prix.

Until now, the rules have been policed with the use of a standard fuel flow meter, but the FIA reportedly now wants to check pressure in other parts of the fuel system.

The Paris federation reportedly suspects that some teams and manufacturers are finding their way around the 100kg/h rule by increasing fuel flow in areas other than the actual meter.

The spotlight is shining most brightly on Mercedes and Ferrari, given the obvious step both engine manufacturers have made in 2015.

Spain’s Marca sports daily reports: “From Thursday in Shanghai, the FIA will use a new set of sensors to measure the fuel system in more detail.”

Another Spanish newspaper, El Confidencial, added: “If anyone has managed to exploit a loophole, then they will suffer the effects from China.” (GMM)

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 10:58
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/521198/F1_Fuel_System_Explained/

The fuel system in a f1 car takes the fuel from the fuel tank and delivers it to the engine where it is sprayed on by highly advanced fuel injection systems, the fuel-air mixture is then ignited to generate power.

So, let’s take a look into the components of a f1 fuel system.

The Fuel system comprises of :

Fuel Tank
Lift Pumps
Fuel Filter
Mechanical Fuel Pump
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Tank

It is basically the storage tank for the fuel. In a f1 car it is situated behind the driver and is leak proof made up of puncture proof Kevlar. The tank also houses a gauge sensor which sends the information regarding fuel levels to the driver and to the pit wall.

All the fuel lines leading from the fuel tank are auto-cut off lines, so in event of any breakage fuel won’t be spilled thus preventing fire. There’s been no major fuel tank fire at an F1 race since Berger Imola crash in 1989 and no fire related deaths since Riccardo Paletti in Canada in 1982, or in testing with Elio De Angelis in 1986.

Fuel Lift Pumps:

These are electrically operated pumps situated inside the fuel tank . As the f1 cars are subjected to huge g-forces, the fuel inside the tank keeps moving which makes it difficult for the conventional fuel systems to extract fuel from the tank, this is where the electrical lift pumps come in.

The lift pumps are situated inside the fuel tank and there main job is to recover fuel from the fuel tank and deliver it to another vessel within the fuel tank which is connected to the main mechanically operated fuel pump

Fuel Filter:

The fuel filter is present at the entry of electrically operated lift pumps and it basically prevents impurities which may be present in the fuel from damaging the pumps.

Mechanical Fuel Pump:

This pump is mechanically operated by the motion of the engine.It collects the pressurised fuel stored in the vessel by the electrical lift pumps and delivers it under high pressure to the fuel injectors.

Fuel Injectors:

The fuel injector is basically a tiny electric valve which opens and closes with an electric signal. A computer (Standard Electronic Control Unit: SECU) controls when the fuel injectors open to let fuel into the engine. The SECU intelligently determines the time at which the electrical valve has to be opened which would allow for optimum mixing of fuel-air mixture.

Here’s a flow diagram to explain how the fuel is actually transported to the engine:

Fuel stored in the fuel tank.

animated_down_arrow_blue

Fuel then passes through a filter.

animated_down_arrow_blue
Electrical lift pumps then take the fuel from the tank and store it in a smaller vessel know as the collector under high pressure.
animated_down_arrow_blue
The fuel is then taken up by the mechanically operated pumps from the collector and delivered under high pressure to the fuel injection system
animated_down_arrow_blue
The fuel injection system then controls the release of fuel into the engine via SECU (Standard electronic control unit) which allows for optimum fuel-air mixture to ignite producing torque.

Fuel Flow Meter:

In 2014, new regulations were introduced regarding the fuel consumption and under these new regulations, no more than 100kg of fuel can be used from start to finish and the fuel flow limit per hour to the engine has been limited to 100kg/hr.

2015 F1 Fuel Flow Meter

This is where fuel flow meters come in, these devices basically measure the rate of fuel delivery to the engine. In theory greater the fuel delivery greater will be the power generated by the engine, so under the new regulations it is required by all teams to have flow meters installed which allow FIA to monitor the amount of fuel going into the engine per hour.

These sensors are situated in the fuel tank area and the pumps in the fuel tank pump the fuel via these sensors to the high-pressure direct injection system, thus allowing it to measure the flow.

Each car on the grid currently has a fuel flow sensor manufactured by a company called Gill Sensors. These sensors are based on ultrasonic technology and according to the company here’s how they work:

“Using the time of flight technology principle, the meter measures the velocity of the fuel using ultrasonic pulses. The flow rate is calculated using the time it takes ultrasonic pulses to pass from one end of the sensor to another. As the meter is designed with no moving parts, it does not restrict or interfere with the flow of fuel passing through it. With measurement update rates up to 1kHz, the meter provides an immediate response to flow rate variations, measuring bi-directional fuel flow up to 8000ml/min, significantly larger that the 100kg/h Motorsport restriction.”

New FIA Technical directive to measure fuel pressure:

The FIA has issued a new technical directive regarding the fuel flow sensors, as according to reports the FIA suspects that certain teams may have developed systems which allow them to inject fuel into the engine at a higher pressure while maintaining flow through the fuel flow meter to 100kg/hr.

This means that the engine may be getting more fuel than the normal limit of 100kg/hr by some clever modifications made by the team downstream to the fuel flow meter.

It has also been reported that Mercedes and Ferrari have upgraded their turbo units to withstand 500 bar of fuel pressure while Renault turbo units can only withstand 250 bar of fuel pressure.

So, the FIA has now instructed teams to install fuel flow meters at multiple points of the fuel system, so that it can get pressure readings from multiple points between the tank and the injection system.

Hope, you have enjoyed regarding the article. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments below.
(Nishant Raj)

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 11:09
Transcript of the Thursday Press Conference organised by the FIA for the 2015 Chinese Grand Prix

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/521249/Thursday_Press_Conference__2015_Chinese_GP/

zike
9th April 2015, 11:17
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/521209/FIA_puts_fuel_flow_spotlight_on_Ferrari_Mercedes

Some weeks ago, we reported that the governing body had told teams that the fuel flow rules would come under closer scrutiny from the Chinese grand prix.

Until now, the rules have been policed with the use of a standard fuel flow meter, but the FIA reportedly now wants to check pressure in other parts of the fuel system.

The Paris federation reportedly suspects that some teams and manufacturers are finding their way around the 100kg/h rule by increasing fuel flow in areas other than the actual meter.

The spotlight is shining most brightly on Mercedes and Ferrari, given the obvious step both engine manufacturers have made in 2015.

Spain’s Marca sports daily reports: “From Thursday in Shanghai, the FIA will use a new set of sensors to measure the fuel system in more detail.”

Another Spanish newspaper, El Confidencial, added: “If anyone has managed to exploit a loophole, then they will suffer the effects from China.” (GMM)

dont like this:-??

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 11:25
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118415

Kimi Raikkonen sees no reason why his Ferrari Formula 1 team cannot continue to threaten Mercedes at the Chinese Grand Prix.

After Sebastian Vettel's shock Malaysian GP win, there has been more scepticism about Ferrari's chances at Shanghai because of the cooler conditions.

ANALYSIS: Ferrari's chances in China

But Raikkonen is not so downbeat, and reckons that the team should have confidence that its early season promise will continue.

"We have been with the car in Jerez [testing], in Barcelona and the first two races," said the Finn.

"The car is working well in all conditions and circuits, so I don't see any reason why it should be something else here.

"It might be a bit different because it is cold, but the layout is probably closer to Barcelona than any race so far, and conditions are pretty similar.

"We will go out tomorrow, see how it is and try to work things out if we are not happy. But I don't expect any surprises."

Hamilton: Ferrari win 'blown out of proportion'

As well as Vettel's Malaysia win, Ferrari showed flashes of speed in Australia too - something Raikkonen thinks bodes well for its prospects this time out.

"I said after Australia that if we would have been behind them in the race then I don't see that they would pull away, at least not as far as people think," he explained.

"All circuits are slightly different and all conditions are different.

"One car works a bit better in one place and then the other is better on that [particular] circuit.

"Maybe we are not where we want to be exactly right now, but if we compare where we were last year I am sure we will be more than happy.

"There is still a lot of work to do to be happy with all the things, but that is why we are here.

"We'll see how it goes but I don't expect things to change. I think Mercedes can be very fast in qualifying but in race pace conditions, it seems to be a bit closer."

Ojie1214
9th April 2015, 12:02
#Turrini "Clear will not work with #Ferrari until 2016"

Hope its only gossip!! :roll:-s

zike
9th April 2015, 12:10
#Turrini "Clear will not work with #Ferrari until 2016"

Hope its only gossip!! :roll:-s

Jock Clear? Why?

Ojie1214
9th April 2015, 12:37
Jock Clear? Why?

Yep, no details yet i got it in the twitter.

Turrini: "Clear won't work with #Ferrari until 2016. Allison remains technical director/responsible for track engineering activities"

Ilsan
9th April 2015, 13:22
Thought gardening leave can't be longer than 6 months by law in UK. :-??

zike
9th April 2015, 13:31
I am starting to hate Alonso

“In five years I finished second three times and I didn’t want to finish second anymore, so I’m in the right place now,” Alonso told Sky Sports News HQ in China on Thursday.

“They tried for five years so it was difficult to keep the trust. Not only the trust, there are many other factors that [mean] McLaren-Honda are more attractive for me now.

“But in November we’ll see. If they win the championship, it’s a bad decision. If they finish second, it’s a very good decision.”

WS6TransAm01
9th April 2015, 13:56

“In five years I finished second three times and I didn’t want to finish second anymore, so I’m in the right place now,” Alonso told Sky Sports News HQ in China on Thursday.

“They tried for five years so it was difficult to keep the trust. Not only the trust, there are many other factors that [mean] McLaren-Honda are more attractive for me now.

“But in November we’ll see. If they win the championship, it’s a bad decision. If they finish second, it’s a very good decision.”

So finishing 9th is better than finishing 2nd? Is the pain of being runner up so great that he would rather be out of the fight all together? Sounds like that testing crash rattles his noggin a bit too much. He sounds like Ricky Bobby... "If you're not first you're last!"

Good riddance! Hopefully he stays in the race long enough w/o an engine failure for Seb and Kimi to lap him.

Rob
9th April 2015, 14:08

:Hmm wonder if RBR and Horner been pushing behind the scenes.

Hornet
9th April 2015, 14:26
Seems like they are assuming its Ferrari and Mercedes just because both PU had huge improvements. While they may very well be correct on who's using it, I don't think that's reason enough to make such assumption.

We've only seen 2 races anyway, the performance order isn't too clear yet.

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 14:29
Seems like they are assuming its Ferrari and Mercedes just because both PU had huge improvements. While they may very well be correct on who's using it, I don't think that's reason enough to make such assumption.

We've only seen 2 races anyway, the performance order isn't too clear yet.

Main reason is cos It has also been reported that Mercedes and Ferrari have upgraded their turbo units to withstand 500 bar of fuel pressure while Renault turbo units can only withstand 250 bar of fuel pressure.

zike
9th April 2015, 14:30
:Hmm wonder if RBR and Horner been pushing behind the scenes.

I am so happy when we win, I dont want to be unhappy again :-D

zike
9th April 2015, 14:36
Main reason is cos It has also been reported that Mercedes and Ferrari have upgraded their turbo units to withstand 500 bar of fuel pressure while Renault turbo units can only withstand 250 bar of fuel pressure.

Noooooooo :(

Nero Horse
9th April 2015, 14:41

Just sour grapes from Alonso. Of course he's going to say things like that to try to justify his move back to Macca. I doubt that he's really that dumb to actually believe that being in Macca right now and fighting with Manor Marussias at the back is better for him than being at Ferrari and challenging for the wins. He made a big mistake by going back to that team, he's realizing it now, and so we're probably gonna hear a lot more comments from him on why moving to Macca was "such a great decision" lol. But if he really prefers finishing 15th to finishing 2nd then I guess he is in the right team indeed.

F1 Dream Team
9th April 2015, 14:43
Just sour grapes from Alonso. Of course he's going to say things like that to try to justify his move back to Macca. I doubt that he's really that dumb to actually believe that being in Macca right now and fighting with Manor Marussias at the back is better for him than being at Ferrari and challenging for the wins. He made a big mistake by going back to that team, he's realizing it now, and so we're probably gonna hear a lot more comments from him on why moving to Macca was "such a great decision" lol. But if he really prefers finishing 15th to finishing 2nd then I guess he is in the right team indeed.

:clap

shamim179
9th April 2015, 14:51
I wonder how much this is going to hurt us this new fuel flow issue. Could it drop us behind Williams? Mercedes will still lead. Regardless it's good to see Ferrari using techniques that are borderline illegal. I'd rather see them try hard rather than always play it safe. We took some risks this year with our new PU and it has paid off. We need to take such risks if we want to win regularly.

Nero Horse
9th April 2015, 14:54

Considering how optimistic all the guys in our team have been before the Chinese GP then I don't think this is going to affect us in any way. If there would be any fears that our performance would drop after FIA applies these new fuel flow sensors then Maurizio, Seb and Kimi wouldn't still be talking about getting more wins and closing the gap to Merc. So I very much doubt that this new rule will have any effect on our performance. It would be nice if it would have an effect on Merc's performance though.

Rob
9th April 2015, 14:58

:-ZZ "leaving Ferrari because want to win and win WDC again" :rotfl but you at the bac of the grid this year, so look, another wasted year. If anyhting, ALOT worse than when you were with us Fernando :rotfl

PURE PASSION
9th April 2015, 15:10
Sebastian Vettel with team boss Maurizio Arrivabene in the paddock today.

Maybe talking about a second win? ;)

FerrariF60
9th April 2015, 15:13

well tehy both have the "two fingers" showing....so maybe we'll get that second win in CHINA....
i would be ecstatic and happy as happy can be...

we'll see, i still have my feet firmly planted and wait and see where we are in practice as well as Quali before i get TOO excited

Rob
9th April 2015, 15:13

maybe just playing rock, paper scissors :-G

Maurizio saying we 2 seconds faster this weekend Seb, we got the money, we got plenty of honey. :-G

Kristof_F40
9th April 2015, 15:15
:-ZZ "leaving Ferrari because want to win and win WDC again" :rotfl but you at the bac of the grid this year, so look, another wasted year. If anyhting, ALOT worse than when you were with us Fernando :rotfl

He knew this year was a year gone, but in one way he is right. He has been with us 5 years, and not ever has there been a super car, because of different reasons, there were no signs for us to be again at the front any time soon, so apart from Merc his best chance was McLaren, if we come second this year and he's last, that doesn't matter, however if he' still last in 2016 and we're 1, than it does. Who would have thought that we would make this big step, with al the changes? No one, we did a good job, but we are not there yet, now it's up to us, with or "new team" to prove that we can do it, if we don't manage to improve, than he's right..
Nevertheless I have faight in our team, and I believe we can do it, almost the whole team is "new" and we are already good, can only become better

Btw, not the first time Fernando made a bad choice
Neverteless, he's probably the best driver out there

Nero Horse
9th April 2015, 15:17

Nice! :-D

Thanks for posting it mate. :thumb

Tony
9th April 2015, 15:34
I'm hoping for a clean race this weekend without any saftey cars and backmarkers getting in the way. I'm really curious what Ferrari's actual pace is in relation to Mercedes at this track...

Ilsan
9th April 2015, 15:37

Isn't that gesture regarded as flipping the bird in some countries? Like this (http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/blogs-prod-photos/e/3/6/d/6/e36d6eccd0f0581c465dfc9337afcdbf.jpg). :-D

darkchild
9th April 2015, 16:07
They have tighten the back of the car near exhaust.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCJNoWDW0AEmTc2.jpg

Nero Horse
9th April 2015, 16:20
They have tighten the back of the car near exhaust.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCJNoWDW0AEmTc2.jpg

Indeed, you're right. Cooler conditions in China, which means we don't need as much cooling as in Malaysia and therefore can use tighter bodywork.

Kyss4k
9th April 2015, 16:38
Not Ferrari, but our (hopefully) competition... What kind of FW is that? :-E:-D That's some crazy stuff
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCIs0RGW4AE8ZsH.jpg

fratelliferrari
9th April 2015, 16:43
maybe just playing rock, paper scissors :-G

Maurizio saying we 2 seconds faster this weekend Seb, we got the money, we got plenty of honey. :-G

:-D:thumb

DIEK
9th April 2015, 18:01
http://i.imgur.com/CCAK4dr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/skk2Xt9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q5QIHvn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2JOPCgP.jpg

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11138541_1040293789333578_5168068684240747614_n.jp g?oh=a506dc054b16eaf845a2ab9a3fccae1a&oe=55B445BE

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/11009145_1040293936000230_2769180023111740687_n.jp g?oh=c2a8d987efced193b77644f245dd7dc3&oe=55AAC4F0

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/11130144_1040294936000130_6341438694831771650_n.jp g?oh=c735eec5411e40bcda3ec6159dbbd2d8&oe=55AAD2F2

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/1514604_1040294982666792_4599643323490376632_n.jpg ?oh=bef93924c58cd84571b734746dd30e6b&oe=55E264FF

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCImierWAAA6xXV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCHGE-7WMAAVF2X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hJGuFoN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCIsnL6WEAAqQ9L.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCIsnNCWYAAfnQ2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCIsnO5WIAAFwIp.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/6s3ol5.jpg

http://st.forocoches.com/foro/images/smilies/icon_popcorn.gif

khizerk
9th April 2015, 18:05
Seems its pretty cold from the last picture :-/

zike
9th April 2015, 18:43
what's wrong with Hamilton.......gensta style :rotfl:rotfl

Rob
9th April 2015, 18:49
hey, Lewis, maaan, you looking so so........good? :rotfl

Lewis what you want to be/ race driver? or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7D27mL2JkI

PURE PASSION
9th April 2015, 19:10
Kimi:
“Maybe we are not where we would like to be, but compared to last year things have changed a lot even if we still have a lot to do.”

Sebastian Vettel’s win in Malaysia surprised most of the paddock, but Raikkonen was an exception, “We knew from testing we have a good package but the two first races for me have been pretty difficult , although I could take some good points in Malaysia.”

“We keep pushing as hard as we can trying to do things right knowing that every race can be different, but generally I think we can be quite strong everywhere.”

“In general we know we have the speed but we have to get rid of all the issues even if they are not our fault like the puncture,” added the 2007 world champion who won in Shanghai for Ferrari that year.
A LOT of optimism from Kimi!!!!!!:Hmm:-D

darkchild
9th April 2015, 20:14
Indeed, you're right. Cooler conditions in China, which means we don't need as much cooling as in Malaysia and therefore can use tighter bodywork.
They have been using this bodywork through the whole testing and first two races. Probably conservative to see how cooling works. Last year in Canada similar update was brought but too much heat meant we couldnt run it. Luckily there wont be gazillion updates every week that dont work now that JA is at helm.

Nero Horse
9th April 2015, 20:35
They have been using this bodywork through the whole testing and first two races. Probably conservative to see how cooling works. Last year in Canada similar update was brought but too much heat meant we couldnt run it. Luckily there wont be gazillion updates every week that dont work now that JA is at helm.

Yep, everything you said is correct.

Giallo 550
9th April 2015, 22:21

What do you guys expect him to say; "I made a bonehead move by burning my bridge and shacking up with a bunch of losers?" Regardless, he's still the most talented in my opinion. That said, I want to see Sebastian and Kimi lap him.

killer
10th April 2015, 01:40
I'm hoping for a clean race this weekend without any saftey cars and backmarkers getting in the way. I'm really curious what Ferrari's actual pace is in relation to Mercedes at this track...

Same here. Mercedes are still the top dogs ATM, but any semblance of a good challenge from us in a clean race will mean plenty to look forward to this season.

killer
10th April 2015, 01:48
That's very true mate! I meant my comment more in context of Shanghai, if Merc runs more wing, they give a lot up on the straight line where Ferrari can catch them. If they reduce downforce to compensate, they have high tyre wear... I think there will be a few circuits this year where Ferrari can keep up with the Merc's (they wont necessarily be faster, they will just be hanging around IMHO)...

Yes, I think so too. Barca and Hungary are first in my mind. Keeping up with Mercedes may prove to be good enough; we have the better driver pairing IMO.

Brembo
10th April 2015, 02:12
Seb's hot, his car is hot!! Kimi needs car luck. Another win comming up! Merc was best of the losers last race with all the better everything going for them.

ManFromMilan
10th April 2015, 14:16
Seb's hot, his car is hot!! Kimi needs car luck. Another win comming up!

An one two would be amazing on Sunday. Merc falling apart....priceless

Nero Horse
10th April 2015, 15:38
Sorry if it's a bit off topic, but couldn't really find a suitable thread where to post this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_oUwQokWEc

fratelliferrari
10th April 2015, 16:18
Sorry if it's a bit off topic, but couldn't really find a suitable thread where to post this...

Thanks for posting! What a great sound!

Homan13PSU
10th April 2015, 20:33
http://digg.com/2015/thanks-to-the-internet-a-dickbutt-almost-made-it-onto-a-formula-one-car

Well, that would have been awkward...

Nero Horse
10th April 2015, 20:47
The guy who ran across the track in FP2 apparently wanted to try to drive the Ferrari car lol :lol

Here's the article: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32247300

abbottcostello
16th April 2015, 02:43
The guy who ran across the track in FP2 apparently wanted to try to drive the Ferrari car lol :lol

Here's the article: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32247300
At least he had a good reason!:pass

fratelliferrari
16th April 2015, 07:03
At least he had a good reason!:pass

:rotfl Only a Ferrari can give you the feeling of doing these kind of actions ;-)

killer
16th April 2015, 07:50

The F2001. You beauty.

fratelliferrari
16th April 2015, 13:42
The F2001. You beauty.

It's just one thing I don't get...Why is there Vodafone sponsors on the car? We hadn't Vodafone as sponsor in 2001 yet :Hmm

Michelc30
16th April 2015, 14:54
https://youtu.be/EAUxbX1poRA

German but nice

Quizz with Vettel regarding former Ferrari championscars

F1NAC
16th April 2015, 15:08
It's just one thing I don't get...Why is there Vodafone sponsors on the car? We hadn't Vodafone as sponsor in 2001 yet :Hmm

Cause we used f 2001 at the start od 2002 season ;)