PDA

View Full Version : 'Ferrari have been lucky this year' - Montezemolo

Ferrari_Fanatic
5th May 2015, 19:52
Ferrari have lucked into their current position as Mercedes' closest rival according to former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.

The Italian team have struggled recently, finishing 3rd in 2013 and then 4th in 2014 with just two victories during those two years, leading to the departure of then team principal Stefano Domenicali and replacement Marco Mattiacci.

Di Montezemolo followed in their footsteps after an internal power struggle with Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne who has now taken over the role of chairman.

Things have begun to look up under Marchionne and his key appointment, Maurizio Arrivabene, to the role of team principal.

However speaking to Repubblica, Di Montezemolo suggested their podium finishes and Sebastian Vettel's win in Malaysia was down to luck and their rivals misfortune.

"I sincerely think they have been a bit lucky," he said. "This year, except for Mercedes, they have no other rivals.

"Williams hasn't improved, Red Bull has imploded - I know [Dietrich] Mateschitz is thinking of selling, he's told a common friend: 'Either I convince Audi to enter, or I'm out' - and McLaren is in dire crisis, so now Ferrari starts every race with a podium in its pocket."

The 67-year-old also said he made a mistake in talking down Ferrari's chances this year, suggesting it led to his departure.

"Perhaps I wouldn't have been so imprudent in December as to say that 2015 would be an ordeal, that huge mistakes in the preparation of the new season were made, and that winning a couple of races would be a miracle. But anyway, that's the past."

PURE PASSION
5th May 2015, 20:19
Gianlu D'Alessandro ‏@Gianlu_DAle
Montezemolo: "Vettel certainly gets less than what Alonso asked for his renewal"

Seb drives for Ferrari out of passion, not for the money

Montezemolo: "When we saw Alonso had become gloomy and surly and was always showing scepticism with the team, we decided for Vettel"

paolo lalli
5th May 2015, 21:24
As the past head of ferrari he should be glowing with praise instead negative undertones the best thing that ferrari did was to have a clean out and he monti was part of it. Sit quietly and let the new revolution at ferrari do there business silence is golden and in italian il selencio e oro capish monti.

Tifoso
5th May 2015, 21:27
Never liked him, TBH. Can't go into why here, though. :-)

Silent Bob
5th May 2015, 22:57
I liked monte but everything has a past due date. This housecleaning has revitalized Ferrari. So it was the proper thing to do. Wasn't just Alonso gettjng gloomy, the fans were as well. This new era is much better

killer
6th May 2015, 01:22
Montezemolo: "Vettel certainly gets less than what Alonso asked for his renewal"

Seb drives for Ferrari out of passion, not for the money

Montezemolo: "When we saw Alonso had become gloomy and surly and was always showing scepticism with the team, we decided for Vettel"

This is something I've always struggled with in the Alonso saga. The one thing that leads me to criticize my thoughts that Alonso started to throw his weight about and then eventually got caught out by Ferrari's move was that Fernando did say his future depended on changes at the top of Ferrari management--and that Luca leaving was the decisive factor for him. Now, if Luca was part of letting Alonso go...

Brembo
6th May 2015, 01:23
There's luck involved in every win. And misfortune from 2nd place on down.

Silent Bob
6th May 2015, 02:41
That's very deep Brembo. There is much wisdom in your words.

Nand0Nand0
6th May 2015, 09:28
For me its a pity that Luca has tarnished his legacy with these comments. He did a great job for the team, picking it up, building a successful team and leading it through some fabulous years of success. These comments come over as sour grapes.

abbottcostello
7th May 2015, 01:59
For me its a pity that Luca has tarnished his legacy with these comments. He did a great job for the team, picking it up, building a successful team and leading it through some fabulous years of success. These comments come over as sour grapes.
I'll cut him some slack, it's got to be tough for him to admit he may have been a bit stale towards the end of his tenure.

Winter
7th May 2015, 02:25
"This year, except for Mercedes, they have no other rivals" What is that supposed to mean? If we would be winning, would he say " it's just because they have no rivals"?
There is a reason why we are right behind Mercedes and that's because we have got faster, a lot faster since last year. Luck has nothing to do with it!

But still, I think that LDM has something to do with our recovery and it must be hard for him when the new management gets all the credit for it.

Tony
7th May 2015, 15:05
Ferrari have not been this close to the top on a consistent basis since 2010, that says a lot and LDM's comments really sound petty, he doesn't need to admit defeat or anything, but he should not be interjecting with comments like this that are clearly incorrect...

ManFromMilan
7th May 2015, 16:43
And here i thought Ferrari was lucky to have the new leadership and direction the leadership brings...

Nova
7th May 2015, 19:24
Lets not be too hard on Luca..he is still one of the reasons Ferrari is still Ferrari,
and worked side by side w/iL Comendatore . I dont thinks its as much sour grapes as him not
being recognized properly for his achievments with Ferrari.
He did a lot of good here for a large portion of his life.
He made a few mistakes, but also brought in many good things w/WDC's and WCC's.
Luca still the man.

Dino
7th May 2015, 19:27
I'll cut him some slack, it's got to be tough for him to admit he may have been a bit stale towards the end of his tenure.

I think you could be right abbottcostello.
This man lived for Ferrari.What he said sounded like sour grapes and it probably is,but never ever forget the love this gentleman has shown for the Team we all support.
Thank you Luca Cordero di Montezemolo for keeping all the old tifosi like me believing in the Team Ferrari.
No doubt he did his best.

Tifoso
7th May 2015, 23:38
The question for me is:

did he or did he not force Schumi out? If he did not, then fine. :-) If he did, then not so fine.

Does anyone here doubt that Schumi would have won Kimi's WDC? And possibly another?

Ste
8th May 2015, 00:00
The questions for me is:

did he or did he not force Schumi out? If he did not, then fine. :-) If he did, then not so fine.

Does anyone here doubt that Schumi would have won Kimi's WDC? And possibly another?

Almost no doubt in my mind that Michael would've won in 2007 and 2008. :)

Brembo
8th May 2015, 04:59
The question for me is:

I'm sure Alonso would doubt it.

Stormsearcher
8th May 2015, 12:23
I dont think LDM is questioning that Ferrari have improved over 2014. Hes just saying we are looking better because the williams and RBR cars arent up to the mark and hence it looks rosier than it really is.
I think people are getting unnecessarily defensive just because he said what all of us subconsciously acknowledge to be true.

Tobes
8th May 2015, 19:16
The question for me is:

I don't think Schumi was pushed, he wouldn't give Ferrari an answer about driving in 2007 so we covered our backs and signed Kimi, I believe Schumi was still given the opportunity to drive in 2007, but at the expense of Massa, the dream team was fragmenting and he chose to retire, it was his choice... Don't think Ferrari couldn't have been any more accommodating...

There's no guarantee Schumi would've won in '07, but I can guarantee Kimi did... :thumb

Tony
8th May 2015, 19:38
I dont think LDM is questioning that Ferrari have improved over 2014. Hes just saying we are looking better because the williams and RBR cars arent up to the mark and hence it looks rosier than it really is.
I think people are getting unnecessarily defensive just because he said what all of us subconsciously acknowledge to be true.

That statement is only half true though, Ferrari were never in a position last year to challenge Mercedes and were not capable of at least taking 2nd. It's not a guaranteed podium because Red Bull and Williams are struggling, it's a guaranteed podium because Ferrari improved significantly and RB and Williams are struggling.

PURE PASSION
8th May 2015, 19:46
Well, Pat Symonds said that they are happy with their development since last year and through the first 4 races and that they have improved.
So i cant hear people saying that just because Williams and RedBull have underperformed,we are where we are!!!!!
We are just overferformed everybody else(mercs included)in all areas,and this is the only reason to be there just behind Mercs!!!!!!

Tifoso
8th May 2015, 20:01
I don't think Schumi was pushed, he wouldn't give Ferrari an answer about driving in 2007 so we covered our backs and signed Kimi, I believe Schumi was still given the opportunity to drive in 2007, but at the expense of Massa, the dream team was fragmenting and he chose to retire, it was his choice... Don't think Ferrari couldn't have been any more accommodating...

There's no guarantee Schumi would've won in '07, but I can guarantee Kimi did... :thumb

Hard to argue that, fratello. :-)

Tifoso
8th May 2015, 20:01
That statement is only half true though, Ferrari were never in a position last year to challenge Mercedes and were not capable of at least taking 2nd. It's not a guaranteed podium because Red Bull and Williams are struggling, it's a guaranteed podium because Ferrari improved significantly and RB and Williams are struggling.

Exactly. :-)

Hornet
9th May 2015, 08:56
Many of the improvements Ferrari enjoys today were already in the development pipes last season, that's just how development works. To say the new team was 100% responsible for the new car we have this season would be somewhat misguided, as they were put into place barely a couple months or so before testing were due, and Ferrari was quick right out of the box.

I believe Ferrari would have improved this season even if Luca DM was still the man leading this company. The only thing that held us back was development freeze, which wasn't our fault.

Winter
9th May 2015, 09:14
The question for me is:

I dare to doubt. Or at least say that it wouldn't have been sure at all. If Michael would have been in Ferrari, Kimi would have been in McLaren and Kimi already had lost couple WDCs because those silver crap boxes exploded every other race. In 2007 crapLaren were reasonably reliable.

I don't think that he forced Michael out. Michael was the first choice to replace Massa after the 2009 accident, wasn't he? If I recall right, Michael were recovering from some bike accident and could not step in. He still joined as an "adviser", I don't believe that there were any drama in Michaels retiring.

vcs316
9th May 2015, 11:42
The question for me is:

Schumi would have won convincingly in 2007 and 2008. Remember, he was still the King of F1 when he first retired in 2006. He was averaging 8 wins per season from 2000 to 2006 (and that was a lot of bounty up for grabs post his retirement)