PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Predictions

SS454
13th March 2021, 18:09
After 2 days of testing, let's hear your 2021 F1 predictions.

WCC:

1 - Mercedes
2 - Red Bull Racing
3 - McLaren
4 - Aston Martin
5 - Ferrari
6 - AlphaTauri
7 - Alpine
8 - Alfa Romeo
9 - Haas
10 - Williams

WCC notes:
- Mercedes had BY FAR best car of 2020. 2021 cars are all just an extension of 2020 cars. Mercedes floor looks to be the most advanced, which should be the biggest area to develop this season.
-RBR again should have amazing chassis. Max Verstappen is the best driver. Perez should always be able to get points, even if not much of a challenge to Max.
- McLaren now has Mercedes power. Their trick diffuser should be an advantage for the first couple races. Ricciardo is a stud and should be an upgrade over an already strong driver line up.
- Aston Martin. Looks like Mr Stroll wrote another check to Mercedes for all their aero innovations for 2021. Should be a podium challenger for the first 3-4 races at least. If the car has balance I expect Vettel to get back to form. Lance Stroll is still a bottom level driver.
- Ferrari gets a supposed significant PU upgrade. It will not be worth 2 seconds a lap to get up with Mercedes or RBR. I have to believe the PU may only get on par with Honda or Alpine, could still very well be the worst PU on the grid. The chassis should be as good as McLaren, but their nose is already 2 or 3 seasons behind the times. Ferrari sadly isn't known for being efficient, and have always had an enormous budget. With a $145m budget cap this year, I think Ferrari's development program could struggle.
- AlphaTauri will get the hand downs from RBR big brother. They do great work with a mediocre budget, so budget cap fit their program nicely.
- Alpine has one of the greatest drivers of all time in Alonso, but nobody steps away from F1 and comes back in the same form. Secondly they have no engine development support which means any reliability issues will be costly to fix. Their car has a very different aero approach than the rest. Rarely does that ever prove to be a home run when it comes from a mid pack team.
- Alfa Romeo has not a great chassis, not a great engine, but good driver experience.
- Haas also not a great chassis, not a great engine, and has 2 rookies. I expect plenty of mistakes
- Williams has new funding and one can hope they make another large step to at least fight with the bottom 3. Russell appears to be an elite talent, but that only goes so far if the car is rubbish

WDC:
1 - Hamilton
2 - Bottas
3 - Verstappen
4 - Ricciardo
5 - Perez
6 - Vettel
7 - Leclerc
8 - Lando

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas
Red Bull - Max > Perez
McLaren - Ricciardo > Lando
Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll
Ferrari - Leclerc > Sainz
AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki
Apline - Alonso > Ocon
Alfa Romeo - Giovinazzi > Kimi
Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin
Williams - Russell > Latifi

Nick Singer
14th March 2021, 13:18
Ferrari will, I think, be a top three team.

I think LEC will be ahead of SAI.

KimiBot
14th March 2021, 18:00

I think your analysis was so good, that I can not add anything to that.

wisepie
14th March 2021, 18:03

In our dreams it would be, I'm not making any predictions as none of them involve Ferrari being at the front, or even near it. I could be wrong.......?!:roll

SS454
14th March 2021, 18:04

I at least hope Ferrari can compete with McLaren and Aston Martin.

330 p4
14th March 2021, 18:26
1-4 Red Bull / Merc
5-10 Ferrari, McLaren, Alpha Tauri.
11-16 Alpine, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo
17-18 William's
19-20 Haas

FerrariF60
14th March 2021, 18:27
i think we'll be a solid 4th or 5th....

1. merc or redbull
2. red bull or merc
3. mclaren or aston
4. ferrari

anyting better will be a bonus

tpe
14th March 2021, 19:47
Agree.
And I made the bold prediction that Sains will be very close to CL, if not to beat him!
(I like this guy!)

Redfive
14th March 2021, 19:54
Merc
Red Bull
McLaren
Ferrari
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Alpine
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas

I can picture Mclaren getting a couple of podiums, I fear Ferrari are out of it and only going to get a podium on "odd" races.
Basically another boring Merc year where goldenboy has no challenge, especially not from his teammate.
Roll on F1 2022!

Tifoso Svedese
14th March 2021, 20:25
I think we're third and not far behind. While WDC and WCC is out of the question, I'd be very disappointed if we don't beat McLaren considering we have gained a lot on the engine side.

Leclerc P4/P5 depending on Pérez that is the big unknown, Sainz P8.

Five podiums for Leclerc if Pérez flops, otherwise seven. One for Sainz. At least one front row for Charles, probably in Singapore.

Something like that?

The other teams then? I genuinely don't give a damn this year now that 7-91 is over. Would be nice if Hammy got beat but ain't gonna happen. 2022 is the big one now.

SS454
14th March 2021, 21:09
Don't forget McLaren gained a lot of power by switching to Mercedes.

330 p4
14th March 2021, 22:16

Yes but they couldn't change anything else as integration cost 2 tokens. Diffuser idea maybe a good trick maybe not, McLaren have had good ideas in the past, some work like the F Duct others fail like the venetian blind suspension everyone got excited about the year the beam wing was banned.

SS454
14th March 2021, 23:08
I didn't know the swap to the Merc PU cost McLaren 2 tokens. That's good info.

I sure hope Ferrari can at least compete with McLaren and Aston Martin.

I think it will be a very boring season for Mercedes in 1st place, and a very boring season for Red Bull in 2nd place. But 3rd to 7th could be very exciting.

TTRSMAD
15th March 2021, 00:06
Mercedes are going to have stiff competition this year. Max as a chance to win it. I wouldn t rule out Leclerc and Sainz. This season is going to be long and Red Bull and Mercedes can have reliability problems or race incidents.

Last year, alot of times, Leclerc would qualify near the front and go backwards in the race because of the engine. This year it's not going to happen. Look at Leclerc time today with the c3 tire and 319 trap speed and probably not on fumes.

The Alpha looked good but i was running on fumes, c5 tires and engine at max.

Brembo
15th March 2021, 03:24

Williams with Merc engine and Russell driving should not be without a point this season. If Williams does put Haas behind them Mick may well wind up like Giovanazzi with a long wait for that Ferrari seat. I had Mick in for 2023.

Brembo
15th March 2021, 03:29

Williams with Merc engine and Russell driving should not be without a point this season. If they do put Haas behind them Mick may wind up like Giovanazzi with a long wait for that Ferrari seat. I had Mick in for 2023.

Stormsearcher
15th March 2021, 04:21
1st and 2nd i think is a forgone conclusion.
I am quietly optimistic. I think we will be fighting with Mclaren for 3rd. Lets not forget we have LeClerc. That boy is magic.
A level below will be Alpine, Alfa tauri and Aston.

Could still be a better season than the last 4 or 5

ntukza
15th March 2021, 05:10
I'll repeat the daring prediction that I first made on another thread during off-season.

The 2021 F1 Driver's Championship will not be won by Lewis Hamilton.

MSC Fan
15th March 2021, 05:18
Williams with Merc engine and Russell driving should not be without a point this season. If Williams does put Haas behind them Mick may well wind up like Giovanazzi with a long wait for that Ferrari seat. I had Mick in for 2023.

Mate, you do realise aero is a variable right?

MSC Fan
15th March 2021, 05:19
I would be happy if we finish P4 or P5. Don't forget that this is only a transition year. Maranello should 100% concentrate on 2022.

Alonsomaniac
15th March 2021, 14:53
Ferrari could very well be a bit faster than it seemed to be. Sainz is new to the team and the car. So I don't think he was yet capable of getting it to the max. Leclerc is faster than Sainz and we know what he can get out of a car. However, Leclerc did the morningsessions. The track was much slower in the morning than in the late afternoon. So I think Leclerc can be much faster than he actually was.
I like to be optimistic.

SilverSpeed
15th March 2021, 18:24
Normally the track is faster in the morning due to thinner air...

nani_s23
15th March 2021, 19:10
As name itself “predictions”.... no accurate info.

WCC
1. Mercs
2. RB
3. Mclaren
4. Ferrari
5. AM
6. Alphine
7. AT
8. AlfaR
9. Haas
10. Williams

4th/5th/6th places might change.
1 It will be not easy for Mercs this season, as RB looks in good shape. But still Mercs has that reserve power to unlock its potential.
2. Mclaren might be the underdogs this season, move to Mercs engine will give best results for them.
3. Tight fight between AM vs Ferrari vs Alphine (Lec vs Vettel vs Alonso) it will come down to drivers. Where Ferrari has the edge.
4. AT will be in its own zone
5. There will be improvements from Alfa R & Haas as well.
6. Williams will maintain its consistency with the last place.

WDC
1. Ham
2. Max
3. Bottas
4. Ric
5. Perez

I will not post rest of the driver standings because it will be tight fight vettel/leclerc/Alonso/sainz/Gasly/Norris... all the drivers are capable to score many points.
G
Surprise performer : Ferrari... can shock all.

jgonzalesm6
15th March 2021, 19:39
Normally the track is faster in the morning due to thinner air...

In the evening and into night....track is rubbered in from morning and mid-day use and cooler temps on the track.

SS454
16th March 2021, 00:40
In the evening and into night....track is rubbered in from morning and mid-day use and cooler temps on the track.

I agree, theoretically the track should be cleaned off of any sand, plenty of rubber on the track, and evening means less sunlight and track temps will be much cooler.

Brembo
16th March 2021, 02:42
Mate, you do realise aero is a variable right?

I do but... How can Williams not improve on their areo problems for another year? It can't be only fans are aware! Haas areo tech. better than Williams ?

ntukza
16th March 2021, 15:35
Again, it's only testing, it doesn't mean anything, but it would be a real shame if Haas slipped to the back of the grid since we sent some of our people there.

MSC Fan
16th March 2021, 17:38
I do but... How can Williams not improve on their areo problems for another year? It can't be only fans are aware! Haas areo tech. better than Williams ?

Williams are broke.

MSC Fan
16th March 2021, 17:41
Again, it's only testing, it doesn't mean anything, but it would be a real shame if Haas slipped to the back of the grid since we sent some of our people there.

Machinery wise, the car should definitely be capable of points under able hands. They did that last year in an engine 40hp weaker than the engine in the Williams. Where Haas lose is in their drivers, it's not that Mick or Mazepin are bad drivers, I would even say Mick has a higher ceiling than Magnussen/Grosjean but rookie drivers are often at a disadvantage, especially with no veteran teammate as a benchmark/mentor.

jgonzalesm6
16th March 2021, 17:59
Williams are broke.

Williams WERE broke....past tense. Williams is under new investors. Give them 3 to 5 years to get back on their feet.

ntukza
16th March 2021, 18:58
Machinery wise, the car should definitely be capable of points under able hands. They did that last year in an engine 40hp weaker than the engine in the Williams. Where Haas lose is in their drivers, it's not that Mick or Mazepin are bad drivers, I would even say Mick has a higher ceiling than Magnussen/Grosjean but rookie drivers are often at a disadvantage, especially with no veteran teammate as a benchmark/mentor.

Yeah the double-rookie lineup doesn't help them at all. Will it be possible though to tell whether a lack of results is due to drivers or to the car?

Side note but on similar lines: If Kimi retires end of 2021,i wonder if Alfa will replace him with an experienced driver or a rookie. I guess Gio can be considered experienced by then?

paolo lalli
16th March 2021, 19:24
Sounds like the season has pretty well been summed up the ferrari forum of expert guesses including my self have spoken. It will be a year of hit and miss and with it will come all of whinging whinning and remarks and comments both positive and negative that we have all become accustomed to, so get ready for another year of blood sweat and tears.

Brembo
17th March 2021, 03:12
We fans have to follow Binottos daily quotes! Only then will we have a clearer picture of what may be for 2021! I hope Sainz and Charles run for cover when they see him coming ! Meanwhile @ Williams Russell explained how " The wind direction" will determine how the car will do each race.

darkchild
18th March 2021, 23:08
We will have 5th best car (maybe even 6th) but we will be closer to midfield then last year so Leclerc might finish 3rd.

Max will be champion.

Ferrarichamp
19th March 2021, 11:34
I hadn't followed pre-season testing this year, but I now see that Red Bull are fast.
Well a car that is fast in testing doesn't always guarantee many race wins.
Do you guys think Max can actually beat Lewis this time?

aroutis
19th March 2021, 12:00
WCC:

1 - Red Bull Racing
2 - Mercedes
3 - McLaren
4 - AlphaTauri
5 - Ferrari
6 - Alpine
7 - Aston Martin
8 - Alfa Romeo
9 - Haas
10 - Williams

WDC:
1 - Verstappen
2 - Hamilton
3 - Perez
4 - Ricciardo
5 - Bottas
6 - Leclerc

MSC Fan
20th March 2021, 04:47
WCC:
1. Mercedes
2. RBR
3. Ferrari/McLaren
4. McLaren/Ferrari
5. Alpine
6. AM
7. AT
8. AR
9. Haas
10. Williams

WDC:
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Bottas
4. Leclerc
5. Perez
6. Ricciardo
7. Norris
8. Sainz
9. Alonso
10. Vettel

I think our car is way better than most like to give it credit but judging by the onboards, it is definitely not an easy car to drive and Sainz is not great in adapting as seen in his time at Renault so I think he'll underperform in the first half while slowly regaining consistency in the second half but thanks to this disadvantage in first half, he'll come off worse in a fight between Norris, Ricciardo, Perez and Leclerc. Same with Perez.

I think our car will win at least 2-3 races this year.

paolo lalli
20th March 2021, 10:38
My prediction is ferrari will not finish last.

Silent Bob
20th March 2021, 14:27
Love how so many experts in F1 think AT can go from 7th best to 4th but Ferrari cant improve from 6th.

Tifoso Svedese
20th March 2021, 18:45
Charles qualified fourth on nearly every track where horsepower mattered less last year. With more HP in the car, how the hell would that translate to him missing Q3 on the regular? Idiots in the media.

jgonzalesm6
20th March 2021, 19:29
Charles qualified fourth on nearly every track where horsepower mattered less last year. With more HP in the car, how the hell would that translate to him missing Q3 on the regular? Idiots in the media.

Charles quialified 4th 4x in 2020.....hardly in every track. Check out the results of Charles qualifying for 2020 in every track.

https://www.racefans.net/2020-f1-season/2020-f1-statistics/2020-f1-qualifying-data/

Tifoso Svedese
20th March 2021, 20:45
Charles quialified 4th 4x in 2020.....hardly in every track. Check out the results of Charles qualifying for 2020 in every track.

https://www.racefans.net/2020-f1-season/2020-f1-statistics/2020-f1-qualifying-data/

I said where horsepower mattered less.

jgonzalesm6
20th March 2021, 21:23
I said where horsepower mattered less.

Silverstone is a track where "horsepower mattered less"?????......he placed 4th in qualifying. Silverstone is a power track. Eifel and Portimao are In the middle of the horsepower curve. Sakhir is a track where horsepower did mattered less.

Brembo
20th March 2021, 22:19
HP has a lot to do with quali. up front. Pole, 2nd. @ start is a big deal at any track. Also fast pit stops help big time at every track. I can tell you with 100% accuracy right after the flag comes down at the finish of every race who won and who's on the podium!

jgonzalesm6
20th March 2021, 22:31
HP has a lot to do with quali. up front. Pole, 2nd. @ start is a big deal at any track. Also fast pit stops help big time at every track.

Not really. Monaco is a track that does'nt require alot of horsepower as well as Singapore. Setup and heavy downforce are required at those tracks.

Silent Bob
21st March 2021, 02:15
HP has a lot to do with quali. up front. Pole, 2nd. @ start is a big deal at any track. Also fast pit stops help big time at every track. I can tell you with 100% accuracy right after the flag comes down at the finish of every race who won and who's on the podium!

That's a very special gift you have there Brembo. We'll look forward to your guidance and prognostications throughout the season. I hope you're right every time.

Brembo
21st March 2021, 07:19
Not really. Monaco is a track that does'nt require alot of horsepower as well as Singapore. Setup and heavy downforce are required at those tracks.

I will stay with the idea starting on pole or 2nd with heavy HP and fast pits will help to make a winner at any track big time. I remember how heavy down force caused Ferrari nothing but grief . Every car goes out with the best set up the team can give at the time before every race. Enzo always said HP makes the car a winner. I have to believe Merc engine HP more than down force got them on pole @2nd place at the start and we all know the results .

jgonzalesm6
21st March 2021, 08:36
I will stay with the idea starting on pole or 2nd with heavy HP and fast pits will help to make a winner at any track big time. I remember how heavy down force caused Ferrari nothing but grief . Every car goes out with the best set up the team can give at the time before every race. Enzo always said HP makes the car a winner. I have to believe Merc engine HP more than down force got them on pole @2nd place at the start and we all know the results .

Somewhat true but NOT every track requires the most horsepower. In todays F1, horsepower, aero, pit stops and tire preservaton wins the race given the track. Enzo did say HP makes the car a winner BUUUUT that was a time or era when horsepower mattered. In the 90's and in the 2000's till current, aero was and stil is essential along with HP.

Silent Bob
21st March 2021, 16:47
HP hides a multitude of signs and better to have too much than not enough. Even at Mknaco power helps especially in qualy. Can load on as much down force as you can and more and still have enough engine to power out of the turns.

ntukza
23rd March 2021, 07:40
Love how so many experts in F1 think AT can go from 7th best to 4th but Ferrari cant improve from 6th.

Great point!

ntukza
23rd March 2021, 07:46
That's a very special gift you have there Brembo. We'll look forward to your guidance and prognostications throughout the season. I hope you're right every time.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
Brembo surely you made a mistake somewhere.

Brembo
24th March 2021, 00:19
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
Brembo surely you made a mistake somewhere.

Hey! I even called that 3 tire finish win right after the flag !!

Williams F1 Fan
15th April 2021, 10:07
These are my thoughts regarding the 2021 Formula One Season :-

I think Lewis Hamilton will win the Drivers Championship again. Bottas will win some races to contribute to Mercedes winning the Constructors Title.
Red Bull could run Mercedes close with Max. The 2nd Red Bull seat seems to be the revolving seat.
McLaren could be the dark horses, could do well in the Constructors. Lando and Daniel look a strong driver pair. Couldn't say who will come out on top.
Ferrari could go toe to toe with McLaren during the season in the Constructors Standings.
Seb Vettel now at Aston Martin, a last big move? Not the driver that he was, compared to when he was at Red Bull. In recent seasons has made some errors on the track. Not too sure if Aston Martin will make a Podium finish. Seb and Lance sure to have the car to score points throughout the season.
Williams could be in for another long season. Last two seasons have been terrible, getting no points last season. If we score any points this season, it will be like winning a race. Now under New Owners, the focus is on the 2022 car.
Will be interesting following Mick Schumacher's progress at HAAS this season. Hope he is just allowed to progress in F1 without too much pressure at this stage. Let him learn the ropes of F1, get the experience, and learn from any mistakes.
Promising young drivers on the scene, Charles, George Russell, Lando Norris, Max, Mick Schumacher.

GO, GO, GO!!!

Williams F1 Fan
15th April 2021, 17:54
My prediction is ferrari will not finish last.

You're Prediction looks pretty safe. We could be vying for that position again.:-(

aroutis
17th April 2021, 07:28
I believe this is the year Lewis will have his humble pie and as this is one year contract for him, we'll see another 2006 replay (retirement) as Mercedes will leave F1 as well , remain as engine manufacturer and the team will be taken over as INEOS.

I don't particularly like the idea of Max Verstappen being WDC (even for one year) but if he does get it on merit, I don't mind.
Ferrari, if they work as hard as I believe they will and given the potential the car shows so far, might actually finish between 3 and 4th (ie. fight with McLaren).

We do have two very fast and capable drivers, key is their relationship. We need to keep the harmony between tham, it's paramount.

Brembo
19th April 2021, 03:19
Both Ferrari drivers want to retire @ Ferrari, they will do their best to for the team and themselves points wise. Meanwhile Mick may well be Merc's future driver . If Merc let's Bottas stay 2 more years. Russell's great 9th place finish doesn't look like enough to be the driver to move up. He still is zero points; team and driver.

20000rpm
19th April 2021, 03:49
My predictons-
1. Merc/Redbull
2.Redbull/Merc
3.Mclaren
4.Ferrari

I know its just two races so a lot will change. Also need to factor the time when teams stop development for '21 and shift to '22. Also it will be fun to watch Lando, Charles battle it out with each other in the upcoming races.

MSC Fan
19th April 2021, 04:10
My predictons-
1. Merc/Redbull
2.Redbull/Merc
3.Mclaren
4.Ferrari

I know its just two races so a lot will change. Also need to factor the time when teams stop development for '21 and shift to '22. Also it will be fun to watch Lando, Charles battle it out with each other in the upcoming races.

Not sure why you've put McLaren over Ferrari. In clean air, Leclerc and Sainz were faster than Norris. If it wasn't for Leclerc's radio failure, he would've pulled away into the distance up until Verstappen (after his spin)/ Hamilton (on a charge) would catch him. The high DF setup which was factored in for the rain backfired after the red flag and even then, Leclerc and Sainz were catching up to Norris who was in clean air. If the track was a bit wider, Norris' tyre wear would've sent him down the order too.

20000rpm
19th April 2021, 12:25
Not sure why you've put McLaren over Ferrari. In clean air, Leclerc and Sainz were faster than Norris. If it wasn't for Leclerc's radio failure, he would've pulled away into the distance up until Verstappen (after his spin)/ Hamilton (on a charge) would catch him. The high DF setup which was factored in for the rain backfired after the red flag and even then, Leclerc and Sainz were catching up to Norris who was in clean air. If the track was a bit wider, Norris' tyre wear would've sent him down the order too.
I don't disagree with you.

As I have said, it's based on two races. I felt from the last two races that MC are genuinely faster than us when it comes to straight line. In Bahrain, Lando overtook us with ease and lap after lap Charles went behind. Since it was a power based circuit so it was not worth complaining. In Imola it was a relatively better as Charles was not left in the dust after Ham overtook Lando. If we had another 7-8 laps after Ham's overtake, it could have been very close between the two.
In circuits which are power based MC willl be ahead of us mostly due to that Merc engine.
As much as I hate putting Ferrari at #4, I hope they prove me wrong and take than #3 spot. I have immense faith in Charles. I genuinely hope both our lads finish in a close order.

While we cannot work on our engine in the current season, I hope atleast our aero dept brings out quality updates to bridge the gap.

jgonzalesm6
19th April 2021, 15:29
Not sure why you've put McLaren over Ferrari.

Why not???? Mclaren is faster than Ferrari given in the hands of the right driver. I consider Leclerc to be a better driver than Norris.....but not by much...but Norris is in a faster car.

We are currently seeing drivers having trouble in their cars since they transitioned onto them in 2021 copmpared to their team-mates-->Perez, Alonso, Ricciardo, Vettel.
I never considered Bottas an excellent driver but he has been driving a dominant car playing second fiddle to Lewis.

Rookies--> Yuki, Mazepin and Mick are also having issues acclomating to their cars and were just 2 races into the season.

I expect all of the above to get better as the races accrue....withn 3 to 4 races into the season.

tpe
20th April 2021, 03:53
Looks like the team is improved in all areas. Still not close to do the faster pitstop in the race, but they are not bad either.
Strategy wise, not major issues.

So, they have the capacity to capitalise on a blunder from Merc/RB.
I believe that we will see a DNF due to collision between MV and LH, so, we must be close in order to get the odd win.

MSC Fan
20th April 2021, 06:12
Why not???? Mclaren is faster than Ferrari given in the hands of the right driver. I consider Leclerc to be a better driver than Norris.....but not by much...but Norris is in a faster car.

We are currently seeing drivers having trouble in their cars since they transitioned onto them in 2021 copmpared to their team-mates-->Perez, Alonso, Ricciardo, Vettel.
I never considered Bottas an excellent driver but he has been driving a dominant car playing second fiddle to Lewis.

Rookies--> Yuki, Mazepin and Mick are also having issues acclomating to their cars and were just 2 races into the season.

I expect all of the above to get better as the races accrue....withn 3 to 4 races into the season.

Except it isn't? Leclerc was much faster than Norris or Ricciardo before the red flag and after that, Leclerc didn't know it was going to be a rolling start and lost the place to Norris. Even then, in clean air, Norris was barely quicker than Leclerc. The only reason Leclerc couldn't overtake and pull away is because the track is too narrow and risking it would demolish a good result.

You must've been watching a different race if you think McLaren were quicker than us.

MSC Fan
20th April 2021, 06:15
Looks like the team is improved in all areas. Still not close to do the faster pitstop in the race, but they are not bad either.
Strategy wise, not major issues.

So, they have the capacity to capitalise on a blunder from Merc/RB.
I believe that we will see a DNF due to collision between MV and LH, so, we must be close in order to get the odd win.

Ferrari improved a lot in pitstops. Arguably P3 but comfortably P4 behind RedBull, Williams and Mercedes (whenever they feel the need to have a quick pitstop).

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 06:48
Except it isn't? Leclerc was much faster than Norris or Ricciardo before the red flag and after that, Leclerc didn't know it was going to be a rolling start and lost the place to Norris. Even then, in clean air, Norris was barely quicker than Leclerc. The only reason Leclerc couldn't overtake and pull away is because the track is too narrow and risking it would demolish a good result.

You must've been watching a different race if you think McLaren were quicker than us.

I watched the same race as you did.

Mclaren is quicker than Ferrari in qualifying and in race pace. Norris is currently 27 points in the WDC and Leclerc is 20 points in the WDC with 2 races in. Ricciardo and Sainz are tied with 14pts apiece.

Greig
20th April 2021, 08:14

Indeed, Leclerc was way quicker than Norris, red flag cost him badly. How anyone can ignore that and claim McLaren were quicker is rather strange.

Ferrarichamp
20th April 2021, 08:14
I think we can get a win this year, circuits like Monte Carlo and Singapore.
what do you guys think? realistic or overly optimistic?

Silent Bob
20th April 2021, 13:25
Indeed, Leclerc was way quicker than Norris, red flag cost him badly. How anyone can ignore that and claim McLaren were quicker is rather strange.

Agree. Leclerc was dropping the Mclarens quite handily until the field was bunched up again with the red flag. Even Sainz after going off a couple times was still able to close on the Mclarens. The soft tires gave Norris track position and he had his car set up for the long straight so Leclerc couldn't get past.

tifosi1993
20th April 2021, 14:20
Forget Mclaren and Norris, Leclerc was even faster than Perez on intermediates. He overtook him on track and was ahead by 16 seconds before the pit stop. Leclerc had 29 seconds advantage over both Norris and Perez, there's no ifs and buts about it. In last year's Turkey, he was 65 seconds behind the race leader after the first 5 laps, and clawed back that deficit without any safety car. The same logic should be applied to Mclaren as well. Norris was on clean air from lap 13 onward and he couldn't claw back the deficit. And what's more, he couldn't overtake Ric and needed teamorder to get ahead.

Leclerc and Ferrari lost the podium because of the red flag. Simple.

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 17:03
Mclaren is faster than Ferrari. BOTH Mclaren drivers have advanced into Q3 at both GP's. Another team also has advanced into Q3 at both GP's....take a guess??

The red flag at Imola helped most and did'nt help others.....that's the nature of the red flag.

Greig
20th April 2021, 17:09
The red flag was the only reason the "faster" McLaren got ahead, otherwise the "faster" McLaren was well off Charles pace.....but yeah that makes them "faster".

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 17:24
The red flag was the only reason the "faster" McLaren got ahead, otherwise the "faster" McLaren was well off Charles pace.....but yeah that makes them "faster".

Mclaren is beating Ferrari in the WDC standings.

Greig
20th April 2021, 17:29
Mclaren is beating Ferrari in the WDC standings.

Ah so that makes them faster? If not for the red flag that you seem to want to ignore they would be 1 point ahead.

They were not faster at Imola and no matter what you say will change that really.

SilverSpeed
20th April 2021, 17:41
Ah so that makes them faster? If not for the red flag that you seem to want to ignore they would be 1 point ahead.

They were not faster at Imola and no matter what you say will change that really.

You can't argue with these kind of fans...

But what you say is true.

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 17:42

Overall, Mclaren is the faster car

Greig
20th April 2021, 17:48
You can't argue with these kind of fans...

But what you say is true.

Yeah just seems some "fans" just always have to look for reasons to be negative.

Norris has beaten Perez both races, must mean McLaren is also faster than Red Bull :rotfl

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 17:55
Forget Mclaren and Norris, Leclerc was even faster than Perez on intermediates. He overtook him on track and was ahead by 16 seconds before the pit stop. Leclerc had 29 seconds advantage over both Norris and Perez, there's no ifs and buts about it. .

So just because Leclerc was "faster" than Norris and Perez......heck, let's throw in Bottas as well....that makes a Ferrari faster than a Mclaren, a Redbull and a Mercedes.

Overall, the Ferrari is not faster than a Mclaren, a RedBull or a Mercedes as you will see in the upcoming races.

Greig
20th April 2021, 17:56
So just because Leclerc was "faster" than Norris and Perez......heck, let's throw in Bottas as well....that makes a Ferrari faster than a Mclaren, a Redbull and a Mercedes.

Overall, the Ferrari is not faster than a Mclaren, a RedBull or a Mercedes as you will see in the upcoming races.

Ferrari was faster at Imola, get over it already :-)

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 17:56
Yeah just seems some "fans" just always have to look for reasons to be negative.

Norris has beaten Perez both races, must mean McLaren is also faster than Red Bull :rotfl

Sorry if I hurt your feelings by being negative.

Perez is acclomating to a new car.....as well as other more experienced drivers as I have mentioned.

Greig
20th April 2021, 17:57
Sorry if I hurt your feelings by being negative.

Perez is acclomating to a new car.....as well as other more experienced drivers as I have mentioned.

Nope McLaren is quicker than Red Bull.....

tifosi1993
20th April 2021, 18:00
Mclaren is faster than Ferrari. BOTH Mclaren drivers have advanced into Q3 at both GP's. Another team also has advanced into Q3 at both GP's....take a guess??

The red flag at Imola helped most and did'nt help others.....that's the nature of the red flag.

Leclerc is ahead of Bottas in the standing and both of our drivers are ahead of Perez. Guess it makes us faster than Mercedes and Red Bull!?

jgonzalesm6
20th April 2021, 18:09
Nope McLaren is quicker than Red Bull.....

please.

Leclerc is ahead of Bottas in the standing and both of our drivers are ahead of Perez. Guess it makes us faster than Mercedes and Red Bull!?

One race does'nt make it so. Overall, Mclaren is faster than Ferrari.

tpe
20th April 2021, 19:15
Guys, relax.
Ferrari was faster in the wet.
In the dry, it wasn't. Simple as that.

FerrariF60
21st April 2021, 01:07
Guys, relax.

someone that knows what he's talking about....

killer
21st April 2021, 02:27
Guys, relax.

It isn't. Conditions were dry at the end. Leclerc finished 2 seconds behind Norris, Sainz was ahead of Ricciardo by 24. The McLarens were on softs, the Ferraris were on mediums.

tpe
21st April 2021, 04:54
Exactly my point. It's not 2006.
With DRS you can pass a slower car.
CL couldn't pass LN and he even dropped from the 0.7 to 2" distance at the end.

20000rpm
21st April 2021, 05:17
Come on guys, we still have 20 races to go. While certain conditions may have favoured Mc over Ferrari, it won't be the case all the time. Right now our priority should be ensuring the correlated updates in wind tunnel matches on the race track and faster development

tifosi1993
21st April 2021, 05:49
One race does'nt make it so. Overall, Mclaren is faster than Ferrari.

Not really. Mclaren was faster in Bahrain but slower in Imola. They needed the red flag and soft tyre gamble in a green track to get ahead of Ferrari. Not sure why you're hellbent on making them faster than us.

tifosi1993
21st April 2021, 05:58
It isn't. Conditions were dry at the end. Leclerc finished 2 seconds behind Norris, Sainz was ahead of Ricciardo by 24. The McLarens were on softs, the Ferraris were on mediums.

Yes. Leclerc was only 1.5 seconds before the final lap and in the end the gap was 1.8 seconds. Imola has always been notorious for overtaking another car and Mclaren was faster on the straight due to its skinny rear wing and superior engine. When both had equal tyres and clean air, the Mclaren was nowhere near of Ferrari.

aroutis
21st April 2021, 08:27
I watched the same race as you did.

Mclaren is quicker than Ferrari in qualifying and in race pace. Norris is currently 27 points in the WDC and Leclerc is 20 points in the WDC with 2 races in. Ricciardo and Sainz are tied with 14pts apiece.

You ignore the fact that Norris was using new soft tyres whereas Charles was using medium (and if I'm correct) they were used as well.
At the same time, before the red flag, Charles was chaotically faster.
So no.

aroutis
21st April 2021, 08:33

Exactly.

Not really. Mclaren was faster in Bahrain but slower in Imola. They needed the red flag and soft tyre gamble in a green track to get ahead of Ferrari. Not sure why you're hellbent on making them faster than us.
Because "Mclaren are faster than us".
Not really, but ok.

turismofreak
21st April 2021, 11:54
Although two races are behind us, I still think these are early days to definite answer if McLaren is faster than Ferrari. In Bahrain, yes, they were faster than us. But in Imola it was another way around. We still have straight line speed disadvantage, but in these "slower" tracks we should be fine. Not the best of course, but ahed of McLaren. We shall se in Barcelona, Monaco, Singapore etc. There are still 20 races to go.
I think the main reason why Leclerc couldn't overtake Norris is because it is difficult to overtake in Imola. Even Hamilton was stuck behind Leclerc for like what, 6,7 laps or something like that. The cars are increadibly wide, much wider than in 2000s and Imola didn't widen since then.

paolo lalli
26th April 2021, 07:34
3rd is very possible ferrari looking for hundredths of a second.Engine wise most teams are pretty close as shown to date.The hybrid era has reached virtual saturation point.I have this feeling that ferrari are a lot more advanced on 2022 car.The 2019 engine and its mapping is tied into the new regs for 2022 hence the confidential settlement.I expect ferrari to be back on top firmly in 2022, this year will be solid with huge amounts of improvement compared to the disaster of 2020.The punishment is a blessing in disguise.

Silent Bob
26th April 2021, 13:41
They're doing a lot of testing so hopefully this is a plan for preparing for next year. Maybe fine tuning correlation or testing new solutions. Nice to see them taking advantage of the track in their backyard.

paolo lalli
26th April 2021, 16:38
Exactly why have the facility and not use it and the only team in f1 with its own privately owned track thats gold.

tpe
26th April 2021, 19:33
3rd is very possible ferrari looking for hundredths of a second.Engine wise most teams are pretty close as shown to date.The hybrid era has reached virtual saturation point.I have this feeling that ferrari are a lot more advanced on 2022 car.The 2019 engine and its mapping is tied into the new regs for 2022 hence the confidential settlement.I expect ferrari to be back on top firmly in 2022, this year will be solid with huge amounts of improvement compared to the disaster of 2020.The punishment is a blessing in disguise.

Excuse me?
Q. What do yoy mean by tied into the new regs?

paolo lalli
27th April 2021, 09:41
I mean some aspects of the 2019 engine which was controversial ferrari wanted safe guarded this was part of the settlement with the fia.They might use aspects of the 2019 engine moving foward in 2022.Thats what I mean.

tpe
27th April 2021, 13:14
Ok, but this doesn't explain why they didn't fit the 2018 engine in the 2019 car.
Or why those parts are notin the 2020 engine.
Or, or, or...
As fans we have a lot of questions exactly because the settlement was secret.

paolo lalli
28th April 2021, 02:50
True.The 64 million dollar question is why it is a very protected settlement.As fans we are all very curious.

tpe
28th April 2021, 04:22
We slip to off topic now, but I tend to believe what Ferrari stated: not to reveal the engine's design.

SS454
3rd January 2022, 17:11

WCC:

1 - Mercedes
2 - Red Bull Racing
3 - McLaren
4 - Aston Martin
5 - Ferrari
6 - AlphaTauri
7 - Alpine
8 - Alfa Romeo
9 - Haas
10 - Williams

WCC notes:
- Mercedes had BY FAR best car of 2020. 2021 cars are all just an extension of 2020 cars. Mercedes floor looks to be the most advanced, which should be the biggest area to develop this season.
-RBR again should have amazing chassis. Max Verstappen is the best driver. Perez should always be able to get points, even if not much of a challenge to Max.
- McLaren now has Mercedes power. Their trick diffuser should be an advantage for the first couple races. Ricciardo is a stud and should be an upgrade over an already strong driver line up.
- Aston Martin. Looks like Mr Stroll wrote another check to Mercedes for all their aero innovations for 2021. Should be a podium challenger for the first 3-4 races at least. If the car has balance I expect Vettel to get back to form. Lance Stroll is still a bottom level driver.
- Ferrari gets a supposed significant PU upgrade. It will not be worth 2 seconds a lap to get up with Mercedes or RBR. I have to believe the PU may only get on par with Honda or Alpine, could still very well be the worst PU on the grid. The chassis should be as good as McLaren, but their nose is already 2 or 3 seasons behind the times. Ferrari sadly isn't known for being efficient, and have always had an enormous budget. With a $145m budget cap this year, I think Ferrari's development program could struggle.
- AlphaTauri will get the hand downs from RBR big brother. They do great work with a mediocre budget, so budget cap fit their program nicely.
- Alpine has one of the greatest drivers of all time in Alonso, but nobody steps away from F1 and comes back in the same form. Secondly they have no engine development support which means any reliability issues will be costly to fix. Their car has a very different aero approach than the rest. Rarely does that ever prove to be a home run when it comes from a mid pack team.
- Alfa Romeo has not a great chassis, not a great engine, but good driver experience.
- Haas also not a great chassis, not a great engine, and has 2 rookies. I expect plenty of mistakes
- Williams has new funding and one can hope they make another large step to at least fight with the bottom 3. Russell appears to be an elite talent, but that only goes so far if the car is rubbish

WDC:
1 - Hamilton
2 - Bottas
3 - Verstappen
4 - Ricciardo
5 - Perez
6 - Vettel
7 - Leclerc
8 - Lando

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas
Red Bull - Max > Perez
McLaren - Ricciardo > Lando
Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll
Ferrari - Leclerc > Sainz
AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki
Apline - Alonso > Ocon
Alfa Romeo - Giovinazzi > Kimi
Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin
Williams - Russell > Latifi

How did we do in our predictions?

Actual:

1 - Mercedes
2 - Red Bull Racing
3 - Ferrari
4 - McLaren
5 - Alpine
6 - AlphaTauri
7 - Aston Martin
8 - Williams
9 - Alfa Romeo
10 - Haas

WCC notes:
- Mercedes won, but if Perez performed a bit better at the beginning of the season and had a little more luck at the end, Red Bull could have captured that championship as well.
- A great surprise to see Ferrari work their way to 3rd place. McLaren had the better car for much of the first half of the season, especially with their Mercedes engine, but Ferrari had the better car at the end, and I believe the better driver line up.
- Aston Martin has to be the biggest disappointment. It shows you can't just buy everything and expect results.
- I didn't expect Haas to be that bad, but to be fair they openly said they were not going to develop the car at all during the season.

WDC:
1 - Verstappen
2 - Hamilton
3 - Bottas
4 - Perez
5 - Sainz
6 - Norris
7 - Leclerc
8 - Ricciardo
9 - Gasly
10 - Alonso

Happily wrong for the top 3. A big miss with Ricciardo and Lando Had he performed closer to his norm, I still think Lando beats him.

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas - no surprise there
Red Bull - Max > Perez - this was a lock
McLaren - Lando > Ricciardo - Riccardo was WAY off his teammate
Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll - not as big of a gap as I expected
Ferrari - Sainz > Leclerc - bit of a shock here. We know Leclerc had some bad luck, but Sainz did a lot better than expected
AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki - Gasly was the MVP of 2021, Yuki was a flop if you ask me.
Alpine - Alonso > Ocon - a close battle. Maybe Alonso isn't quite what he was, but Ocon is no slouch.
Alfa Romeo - Kimi > Giovinazzi - Kimi still able to perform in the races, even though he wasn't very motivated in his last season.
Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin - Nikita is probably the worst driver on the grid, but I think Mick earned Rookie of the year
Williams - Russell > Latifi - Finally some points for these guys. Strangely, my judgement of how good Russell is actually reduced over 2021.

Toothlessrage*
4th January 2022, 06:54
How did we do in our predictions?

Actual:

1 - Mercedes
2 - Red Bull Racing
3 - Ferrari
4 - McLaren
5 - Alpine
6 - AlphaTauri
7 - Aston Martin
8 - Williams
9 - Alfa Romeo
10 - Haas

WCC notes:
- Mercedes won, but if Perez performed a bit better at the beginning of the season and had a little more luck at the end, Red Bull could have captured that championship as well.
- A great surprise to see Ferrari work their way to 3rd place. McLaren had the better car for much of the first half of the season, especially with their Mercedes engine, but Ferrari had the better car at the end, and I believe the better driver line up.
- Aston Martin has to be the biggest disappointment. It shows you can't just buy everything and expect results.
- I didn't expect Haas to be that bad, but to be fair they openly said they were not going to develop the car at all during the season.

WDC:
1 - Verstappen
2 - Hamilton
3 - Bottas
4 - Perez
5 - Sainz
6 - Norris
7 - Leclerc
8 - Ricciardo
9 - Gasly
10 - Alonso

Happily wrong for the top 3. A big miss with Ricciardo and Lando Had he performed closer to his norm, I still think Lando beats him.

Teammate battles:

Mercedes - Hamilton > Bottas - no surprise there
Red Bull - Max > Perez - this was a lock
McLaren - Lando > Ricciardo - Riccardo was WAY off his teammate
Aston Martin - Vettel > Stroll - not as big of a gap as I expected
Ferrari - Sainz > Leclerc - bit of a shock here. We know Leclerc had some bad luck, but Sainz did a lot better than expected
AlphaTauri - Gasly > Yuki - Gasly was the MVP of 2021, Yuki was a flop if you ask me.
Alpine - Alonso > Ocon - a close battle. Maybe Alonso isn't quite what he was, but Ocon is no slouch.
Alfa Romeo - Kimi > Giovinazzi - Kimi still able to perform in the races, even though he wasn't very motivated in his last season.
Haas - Schumacher > Mazepin - Nikita is probably the worst driver on the grid, but I think Mick earned Rookie of the year
Williams - Russell > Latifi - Finally some points for these guys. Strangely, my judgement of how good Russell is actually reduced over 2021.

Pretty surprised with the performance of Ricciardo, but I don't think he's lost his mojo.
Surprised too with Sainz, I knew he'd be strong and consistent to pose a challenge to Leclerc. But, I never thought he'd be able to outscore Leclerc.

Great predictions though:-)