PDA

View Full Version : Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2021: Post Race Analysis

SS454
18th April 2021, 19:55
Max Verstappen deserved the win, but he nearly threw it away. Coming to the green as the SC ended, puts the car in the grass. That small mistake nearly cost him the win, but also would have meant Hamilton likely would have won. Sergio Perez once again shows that he is overrated. He was way too cautious at the start of the race and still made mistakes in the opening laps. Then in prime condition to battle for a podium he spins out on his own, and then couldn't even recover into the points. I'd say the disappointment of the day.

Lewis Hamilton. Once again F1's ridiculous rules and procedures benefit him after his own failures. A mistake all on his own puts him a lap down with a broken wing, race ruined. Thankfully his own teammate and future Merc driver Russell crash on the same lap bringing out a red flag. This allows the LH to gain his lap back and the team to pretty much make his car brand new. Suddenly his car is 3 seconds faster than anyone except Max. No other car could make passes, not even Bottas. Lewis was blowing by the fastest cars like they were in a lower class. 335 kph vs 300ish. Even pushing to the max in traffic, Lewis didn't burn through his tires? It just doesn't make sense.

Bottas, I feel he is mentally broken and thus his performance was very poor. I do not blame him for the wreck with Russell. I'll talk about this later.

Lando Norris, well deserved 3rd place. Arguably driver of the race. Ricciardo had good track position but never had the pace to move forward.

Ferrari had a great race and a great result. In the wet the car appeared to be quick difficult to drive with mistakes by both drivers. I thought Leclerc on mediums would have a significant tire advantage over Lando for the last 5-8 laps of the race, but oddly that didn't happen. I think we must remember that Ferrari is not as fast as Mclaren, so its fair to say the car just wasn't fast enough. Sainz made way too many mistakes and is fortunate to finish 5th.

Lance Stroll's best performances come in wet races and again he performed quite well with a car that had a bunch of software gremlins. Job well done. On the other hand, Vettel showed another rotten performance. He used to relish these conditions, but was no where all day. However his penalty was a bit unfair, which I'll speak of later.

AlphaTauri once again wasn't very good in the race. It's difficult to say how much is down to pace, and how much is down to driver or team error. I found it strange that the team chose to start both cars on full wets, and never alter either of their plans once it was apparent that it was the wrong tire.

AlfaRomeo. Nice to see Kimi get some points. Old school track with difficult conditions, Kimi's right at home.

The Alpine cars just don't seem be have the pace. It seems it doesn't take much for that car to go from decent to bad really quickly. Slightly disappointed with Alonso's performance. Usually the great drivers rise to the top in the more challenging conditions... not today.

Haas, well both cars finished which is a small success. Both drivers were put on the wrong tires to start, maybe a safe play because it wouldn't matter much. Mick had a decent start but threw it away quickly, again it wouldn't make much of a difference. Both drivers spun, both drivers were slow, both drivers were last to finish.

What is with George Russell failing to get points? Another prime spot for rare points, and he gets in a bad wreck that throws it away. Despite his view, I think he is partially to blame. As for Latifi, it was 100% his fault for his wreck. So a huge fail for the drivers when the car looked unusually quick, relative to their normal pace.

Few more things:

Vettel's penalty. The stewards issue his penalty immediately AFTER he made his first stop. Was it always supposed to be a 10 second stop and go? Should it not have been just a 10 second time penalty to be served at the pitstop in which they should have given that penalty on the formation lap? It really didn't seem fair to Vettel.

Bottas/Russell crash. Both feel it was the other's fault, I saw it completely as a racing incident. Sure Bottas moved slightly right, but that is normal when going through the left hand sweeping "corner". Russell had enough room, but appeared a bit spooked and put his car to the edge which dropped a right rear tire on wet grass and the crash ensued. The real failures of that crash are the medical staff. That was a HUGE impact and not a single medical person went to help either driver. Was I the only one to notice Bottas taking a long time sitting in the car? Usually that is a bad sign after a wreck. After getting himself out of the car without help, he moved his way behind the fence, visually in discomfort, and still no medical aid. I really think F1 is so stuck up they refuse to look at other motorsports. Nascar and Indycar have incredible first aid response and it is embarrassing F1 doesn't even consider it.

F1 Red Flag procedure is a joke. I can't get it through my head how F1 allows teams to make changes to the car during a red flag. They should not be allowed to touch the car at all, with the exception of a tire change IF, and only IF the track conditions have changed enough to support it. Instead teams put on whatever tires they want, make repairs, and even change the setup. Plus the fact they let lapped cars get back on the lead lap. Hamilton was set to be at the back of the pack, and yet gets to restart 9th in a car that seemed to be better than it was at the beginning of the race.

330 p4
18th April 2021, 22:00
Disagree on Ferrari v McLaren speed. Ferrari were quicker today. 30 seconds up on Norris, lap times virtually the same, but Red flag allowed Norris to gamble on softsxso better traction at the re start. After that could get close but dirty air more than covered the slight Ferrari speed advantage. Also LeClerc seemed caught out on restart, he could not hear the team on the radio so may have been the issue. McLaren had 1 lap to pass due to Red Flag and took it. Pace wise Ferrari are better than McLaren, look what they did to Ricciardo. Next 3 races are more for the chassis so should beat them next 3 races.

Williams F1 Fan
19th April 2021, 07:09
A Good collection of points from the Ferrari Team yesterday finishing 4th and 5th.
Driver of the Day could be Lewis Hamilton. It felt like a long time that he was stuck in the gravel, trying to get clear from the barriers, then reversing back towards the track. He then had to limp the car back to the Pits for repairs. So to finish 2nd having been 2nd was a good achievement.
Williams day was literally a write-off. Having done well in Qualifying, it was thrown away with both cars crashing out. Could have been a chance of getting points yesterday.
Agree with SS454 regarding the Medical assistance. The Russell/Bottas incident looked a big crash. From George's view point in the car, it looked like a major incident. The one shot of the view of the back of the cars in the gravel looked bad. It looked as if they were left to fend for themselves. Bottas was winded. Russell appeared to be going for a gap. Toto Wolff will have both of them up in his Headmasters Office.:pass :-! :furious

MSC Fan
19th April 2021, 07:50
A Good collection of points from the Ferrari Team yesterday finishing 4th and 5th.
Driver of the Day could be Lewis Hamilton. It felt like a long time that he was stuck in the gravel, trying to get clear from the barriers, then reversing back towards the track. He then had to limp the car back to the Pits for repairs. So to finish 2nd having been 2nd was a good achievement.
Williams day was literally a write-off. Having done well in Qualifying, it was thrown away with both cars crashing out. Could have been a chance of getting points yesterday.
Agree with SS454 regarding the Medical assistance. The Russell/Bottas incident looked a big crash. From George's view point in the car, it looked like a major incident. The one shot of the view of the back of the cars in the gravel looked bad. It looked as if they were left to fend for themselves. Bottas was winded. Russell appeared to be going for a gap. Toto Wolff will have both of them up in his Headmasters Office.:pass :-! :furious

Williams had basically told that they built this car aiming to do well at only certain tracks while being an absolute backmarker in other tracks. I think Russell definitely owes Williams an apology for throwing away one of the few races where they genuinely could be contending for points.

MSC Fan
19th April 2021, 07:53
Disagree on Ferrari v McLaren speed. Ferrari were quicker today. 30 seconds up on Norris, lap times virtually the same, but Red flag allowed Norris to gamble on softsxso better traction at the re start. After that could get close but dirty air more than covered the slight Ferrari speed advantage. Also LeClerc seemed caught out on restart, he could not hear the team on the radio so may have been the issue. McLaren had 1 lap to pass due to Red Flag and took it. Pace wise Ferrari are better than McLaren, look what they did to Ricciardo. Next 3 races are more for the chassis so should beat them next 3 races.

The only reason Leclerc got caught out on the start with Verstappen spinning and getting passed by Norris is because he thought there would be a standing start. The decision was so late that Binotto said that he only knew about it when the cars were going through Rivazza. With the radio being screwed up, he was left on his own.

tifosi1993
19th April 2021, 08:15
Here's Leclerc vs Norris on Intermediates (Both in clean air)

https://i.imgur.com/dr05gGh.jpg

Fast lap on dry tyres after the pit stop (Both on mediums and in clean air)

Leclerc: 1:24.319
Norris: 1:24.987

So not only Leclerc was considerably faster than Norris, he was ahead by 29 seconds. If not for the red flag, Leclerc would've been P2. And Ferrari was faster than Mclaren by a big margin.

330 p4
19th April 2021, 08:50
Here's Leclerc vs Norris on Intermediates (Both in clean air)

https://i.imgur.com/dr05gGh.jpg

Fast lap on dry tyres after the pit stop (Both on mediums and in clean air)

Leclerc: 1:24.319
Norris: 1:24.987

So not only Leclerc was considerably faster than Norris, he was ahead by 29 seconds. If not for the red flag, Leclerc would've been P2. And Ferrari was faster than Mclaren by a big margin.

Thanks, that puts som4 fact to my gut feeling. Nottis only got ahead due to the red flag, using sorts plus LeClercs radio issue. Nottis took advantage of a 1 lap window he had.

Keyser Soze
19th April 2021, 09:16
On the second half of the race Norris was on soft tyres and Charles on Medium , hence the difference...
Due to the red flag and the situation Norris did not abused his sorts..

reaver
19th April 2021, 09:23
We have 34 points, close to the 43 of Mclaren, our begin is good, the podium was the best option for this session and we only lost it by a little bit this second race ....... i think is for stay very positive, the car work better than in Bahrein.

Probably needed improve more grip with the tyres ... open gas early after the curves.... and take it more agresive , we can stay good incoming the mid session with a improve of engine for complete the pack.

Now in the straight we see more the importance of close the gap, but, dont worry , when decrease 0,2 to 0,3 .... all wil change because the two top teams will need change the strategy by the traffic with the cars what are fast .....

In that moment the options of the podiums will be more near and possible , because the top 2 teams will made errors or the decisions will not the best, the incidents of the race ... will open more the options of all.

In some circuits who know.....

330 p4
19th April 2021, 10:26
We have 34 points, close to the 43 of Mclaren, our begin is good, the podium was the best option for this session and we only lost it by a little bit this second race ....... i think is for stay very positive, the car work better than in Bahrein.

Probably needed improve more grip with the tyres ... open gas early after the curves.... and take it more agresive , we can stay good incoming the mid session with a improve of engine for complete the pack.

Now in the straight we see more the importance of close the gap, but, dont worry , when decrease 0,2 to 0,3 .... all wil change because the two top teams will need change the strategy by the traffic with the cars what are fast .....

In that moment the options of the podiums will be more near and possible , because the top 2 teams will made errors or the decisions will not the best, the incidents of the race ... will open more the options of all.

In some circuits who know.....

Sadly the engine is frozen for the year so cannot upgrade this during the season.

On the straights Ferrari was very good, long drag at the start and Ferrari were very good. Sainz easily passed Ricciardo. Norris was lower on wing hence had more speed than his teammate on the straight, he had been the best on the straight all weekend but this was no where near as bad as last year when Ferrari were destroyed on the straight, this year they can hold there own but clearly not quite as powerful as Honda and Merc.

jgonzalesm6
19th April 2021, 11:53
Comparison of 2020 vs 2021

Mclaren made the biggest increase 1.28% faster
Williams 1.17%
AMRF1 1.13%
Ferrari 1.01%
RedBull .81%

Mercedes was last .19%

SS454
19th April 2021, 17:52
Comparison of 2020 vs 2021

Mclaren made the biggest increase 1.28% faster
Williams 1.17%
AMRF1 1.13%
Ferrari 1.01%
RedBull .81%

Mercedes was last .19%

Is this based on qualifying times?

tpe
19th April 2021, 18:07
I don't think so.
I remember a rolling start comment/banner before the restart.
I might be wrong though, but I will try to find a video

jgonzalesm6
19th April 2021, 19:59
Is this based on qualifying times?

It is based on best qualifying sectors.

turismofreak
20th April 2021, 21:35
I am actually quite satisfied with Ferrari results this time. The race was very tricky from begining to an end. Charles had great performance and did whatever he could to salvage as many points as he could. For me, that matters the most. Sainz had some troubles with running off the track but after red flag he managed to get a great result too. And his start on the inters was amazing!
Is it fantastic? Off course not but it's the start. Tactics and pitting were also good. Pits not the fastest, but clearly they made a step up from last year.

I will not comment too much about Max and Lewis. Lewis is still in the lead on the scoreboard and personally, I don't think Max can challange him for a whole season. Mercedes is still a bit faster and reliability is always on their side. The way I see this season, if Max for any reason doesn't finish a couple of races, this slim chance of getting WDC is gone by my personal opinion.

Michelc30
21st April 2021, 12:52
I only wonder why Ferrari, also like Norris, did not go on the red tires for the last stint after the red flag.