PDA

View Full Version : 2021 UAE Grand Prix (The Title Decider) - Practice and Qualifying

tifosi1993
9th December 2021, 17:11
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fom-website/2018-redesign-assets/Circuit%20maps%2016x9/Abu_Dhabi_Circuit.png.transform/7col/image.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF66UQHWQAYKhoW?format=jpg&name=orig

tifosi1993
9th December 2021, 17:12
The class of 2021:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGLnCrNWQAY5RYk?format=jpg&name=orig

Liscia
9th December 2021, 18:12
Yas Marina or No Marina let's be DONE with the 2021 season please!

paolo lalli
10th December 2021, 02:40
Better still let's be done with the complete hybrid crap era and the Mercedes nonsense which is so painfully predicted.

Brembo
10th December 2021, 04:08
It's already done. Honda won more races than Merc and their rocket. It's down to the last race. How much better can it get? Binotto said he gave up 2021 for 2022 so we fans need to watch the races now not knowing till the end who won. No one can honestly pick Sunday's winner.

paolo lalli
10th December 2021, 05:39
Iam backing the underdog max.

patrese86
10th December 2021, 05:53
Hope we can finish on a high, give the upgraded PU everything.

For the championship battle I'm wanting Max to win but I think Mercedes will have too much, especially with the new layout.

paolo lalli
10th December 2021, 07:08
Layout was mercredes inspired,of course it was knowing that if the layout remaind the same and going in level pegged with redbull well that would have been game set match.,easily now red bull have to work very hard.As for the bullies of f1 mercedes by a mile always squelling like pigs at every barn.

stefa
10th December 2021, 09:27
Better still let's be done with the complete hybrid crap era and the Mercedes nonsense which is so painfully predicted.

:clap

tifosi1993
10th December 2021, 10:08
https://i.imgur.com/mUvLRAi.jpg

tifosi1993
10th December 2021, 10:12
I wouldn't be surprised if both Ham and Ver score a DNF in this race and the championship gets settle inside a courtroom. Too much pride at stake here. If Max is behind then he will definitely do a lunge and will probably take himself and Lewis out.

But I have my popcorns ready. Two of the sports biggest crybabies going at each other will be quite hilarious and entertaining.

Brembo
10th December 2021, 10:51
A first WDC and an 8th WDC is for sure worth fighting for. Two of the sports biggest $$ makers for F-1 and for themselves. Millions of F-1 fans ready to watch the race. A podium for Ferrari would be the maximum best result.

Toothlessrage*
10th December 2021, 11:04
I wouldn't be surprised if both Ham and Ver score a DNF in this race and the championship gets settle inside a courtroom. Too much pride at stake here. If Max is behind then he will definitely do a lunge and will probably take himself and Lewis out.

But I have my popcorns ready. Two of the sports biggest crybabies going at each other will be quite hilarious and entertaining.

I personally feel the Lewis V. Max has gone stale.
I'm just happy hearing good news from SF's (our) side for the past few years, that they are actually pulling together for the next era.
Fingers crossed.

jgonzalesm6
10th December 2021, 11:11

Prost vs Senna

Schumacher vs Villeneuve

..........but I digress

Riccardog
10th December 2021, 11:15
Prost vs Senna

Schumacher vs Villeneuve

..........but I digress

being precise here in my quote otherwise some unnamed idiot will take it as another source (sarcasm intended!)

on PlanetF1 there is an article, where our impartial fia stewart masi states that a collision between mv and lh will result in disqualification and even point deductions...
therefore making it very clear that the history of Senna v Prost x 2 and Sumacher v Villeneuve cannot be repeated.
funny thing this is that only one driver could benefit from such a result.
impartial ruling of favouritism?

Silent Bob
10th December 2021, 11:47
Schumacher lost of all his points.

Riccardog
10th December 2021, 11:49

indeed yes, the entire season points were deleted.... thanks!
forgot about that one!!! :-)

jgonzalesm6
10th December 2021, 11:55

+1

tifosi1993
10th December 2021, 13:26
https://i.imgur.com/6M61Tkp.jpg

*Error with Tsunoda's sector times.

tifosi1993
10th December 2021, 13:30
Not really buying that pace from Alpine. Their sector 1 and 2 times show higher engine mode being used.

Long run pace was decent. Although Charles's pace dropped off massively towards the end, most notably in sector 1 and 2 but his sector 3 time was still respectable. Probably some experiment with the energy deployment. This race is looking like an easy one stopper.

Really excited to see what Ferrari can do in qualifying tomorrow. According to Binotto, Ferrari will finally turn up the full power here.

WS6TransAm01
10th December 2021, 13:33
being precise here in my quote otherwise some unnamed idiot will take it as another source (sarcasm intended!)

on PlanetF1 there is an article, where our impartial fia stewart masi states that a collision between mv and lh will result in disqualification and even point deductions...
therefore making it very clear that the history of Senna v Prost x 2 and Sumacher v Villeneuve cannot be repeated.
funny thing this is that only one driver could benefit from such a result.
impartial ruling of favouritism?

If that is the case, won't MV win on count back?

jgonzalesm6
10th December 2021, 13:39
If that is the case, won't MV win on count back?

yep. Max has 9 wins to Lewis's 8 wins.

WS6TransAm01
10th December 2021, 13:43
yep. Max has 9 wins to Lewis's 8 wins.

Okay, so no brainer for Max. If need be, take out TwoChains...

In a perfect world, Bottas takes him out as a parting. Perez could also be a good team mate and miss his breaking point, slide ride up the back of the Merc into T1. So many possibilities.

Silent Bob
10th December 2021, 14:25
Okay, so no brainer for Max. If need be, take out TwoChains...

In a perfect world, Bottas takes him out as a parting. Perez could also be a good team mate and miss his breaking point, slide ride up the back of the Merc into T1. So many possibilities.

Qualy is going to be very important here. Figure both teams would want second driver to be a buffer.

jgonzalesm6
10th December 2021, 14:36
Qualy is going to be very important here. Figure both teams would want second driver to be a buffer.

We also don't know IF either team will change PU's either before quali or before FP3. Mercedes would want "the blessed one" with the spicy engine.

JPMFerrari
10th December 2021, 16:38
Probably an 8th and 9th race finish ahead.

paolo lalli
10th December 2021, 16:40
Bottas born a butler will die a butler.He lacks the courage and the skill set to take this race by the horns.He must be tired of polishing Hamilton's and Toto's boots.Grow some balls and go for the victory your self butler .

jgonzalesm6
10th December 2021, 18:07
Well, this was dis-respectful from SkySports. I believe it was taken down. Tasteless.

Sky sports merry Christmas clip. (Max Verstappen crash f1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzoJu0WXCJE

ferrari1.8t
10th December 2021, 18:34
Well, this was dis-respectful from SkySports. I believe it was taken down. Tasteless.

This clip says everything you need to know about the British media. Complete bias trash.

https://racingnews365.com/sky-sports-remove-contentious-verstappen-ad-after-red-bull-complaint

20000rpm
11th December 2021, 01:06

Utterly disgusting!!! Who does that as a Merry Christmas wish? Something's seriously wrong with Sky(sh!+)Sports

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 03:09
I personally feel the Lewis V. Max has gone stale.
I'm just happy hearing good news from SF's (our) side for the past few years, that they are actually pulling together for the next era.
Fingers crossed.

I don't believe for a second that it will be remotely fair. Both are crybabies and will not give eachother an inch on track. So I'm expecting some fireworks tomorrow.

And agreed. Ferrari's progress this year is nothing but admirable. This is still a SF1000 but instead of fighting for points were now fighting for P3-P5 in pretty much every race. I have my faith on Binotto and co. Marchione promoted him to be our TP and I'm not going to doubt his decision.

Liscia
11th December 2021, 03:45
I guess Sky is just following the present trend of the sport: Formula Less Than 1, or is it Formula Wan?

Toothlessrage*
11th December 2021, 05:23
I don't believe for a second that it will be remotely fair. Both are crybabies and will not give eachother an inch on track. So I'm expecting some fireworks tomorrow.

And agreed. Ferrari's progress this year is nothing but admirable. This is still a SF1000 but instead of fighting for points were now fighting for P3-P5 in pretty much every race. I have my faith on Binotto and co. Marchione promoted him to be our TP and I'm not going to doubt his decision.

The very fact that it's still the SF1000 underneath is just incredible!
It's inspiring considering the limited development that has gone into the machine that has eventually led to the SF clawing back some dignity that was lost last year.

I'm sure the steps taken by Binnoto to bring the SF back to glory will eventually do all of us proud!
I wholly agree that Marchionne did the right thing when he replaced the Yes-man, Arrivabene, with Binnoto.

Now, we have the drivers + a reformed and hungry team, we just need a raw piece of art to finish off the equation.

Toothlessrage*
11th December 2021, 05:29

Also, I hope that the next season will replicate the 2012 season with the exception of a strong SF.

Charles + Carlos + Alonso + Ricciardo + Russell + Norris + Gasly + Ocon + Lewis + Vettel + Verstappen + Perez

paolo lalli
11th December 2021, 06:56
How low can sky TV go,they are lower than a snakes belly showing verstapen crashing in add.playing mind games the add has been removed at the request of very ****** off red bull chiefs.

Redfive
11th December 2021, 09:54
How low can sky TV go,they are lower than a snakes belly showing verstapen crashing in add.playing mind games the add has been removed at the request of very ****** off red bull chiefs.

it's really SkyHamiltonF1 now, has been for some time, people like Croft, Hill and the bitter little clown herbert don't even attempt to hide their bias.
My god it's really REALLY going to be unbearable when goldenboy gets #8.

ntukza
11th December 2021, 11:07
The very fact that it's still the SF1000 underneath is just incredible!
It's inspiring considering the limited development that has gone into the machine that has eventually led to the SF clawing back some dignity that was lost last year.

But wasn't the SF1000 already a good car just with a bad engine?

wisepie
11th December 2021, 11:09
it's really SkyHamiltonF1 now, has been for some time, people like Croft, Hill and the bitter little clown herbert don't even attempt to hide their bias.
My god it's really REALLY going to be unbearable when goldenboy gets #8.

I'm really peed off that it's being broadcast live on Channel 4 in the UK this weekend and I've paid all year to get live coverage on Sky. Especially bitter if HAM succeeds.:-E

JPZ
11th December 2021, 11:20
I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a race so much!

Tifoso Svedese
11th December 2021, 11:57
Given how much the two teams have pulled away recently in spite of our better engine hopefully both have dropped their load on the 2021 car and will have a hangover for next season. With the cars the way they were in the beginning of the season with our engine update considered, Charles would be in the front row hunt. So it's evident they have worked a lot on development of their 2021 concepts throughout. Hopefully that backfires on at least one of them.

elnano14
11th December 2021, 12:04
Medium in Q1

patrese86
11th December 2021, 12:15
We obviously don't want to use the medium in Q2 so are trying to save a set of softs.

ferrari1.8t
11th December 2021, 12:22
I'm really peed off that it's being broadcast live on Channel 4 in the UK this weekend and I've paid all year to get live coverage on Sky. Especially bitter if HAM succeeds.:-E

Lol crofty was praying for a lap deletion for Verstappen for track limits. Buddy, relax, your golden boy has half a second on Verstappen.

Stellar lap from Leclerc, seems we don’t have the 1 lap pace this weekend. Let’s see how q2 and 3 goes….

DJTaurus
11th December 2021, 12:40
Yesterday on p2 Hamilton clocked a 0,700 time faster than Max on medium tyre. This is not even a contest.

DJTaurus
11th December 2021, 12:44
As I told you guys the pace of Hamilton on Med is unmatched. Ver only 0.3 quicker with soft tyres.

ferrari1.8t
11th December 2021, 12:46
Ferrari and RB committed to softs to start the race…we will be quick off of the line!

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 12:56
I don't think Max's lap will be beatable. This is the type of stuff that makes someone a champion.

DJTaurus
11th December 2021, 12:59
I don't think Max's lap will be beatable. This is the type of stuff that makes someone a champion.

Unfortunately Hamilton will eat them alive on the big straight during the race.

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 13:03
Max on pole

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 13:04
Poor sector 3 from Charles. Otherwise would've been P3.

Great effort from Carlos.

elnano14
11th December 2021, 13:05
P5 and P7, clean side with faster starting tires. Not bad I guess

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:06
Glad to see Max P1. Now comes the race tomorrow. CLASH OF THE TITANS.

PURE PASSION
11th December 2021, 13:09
P5 and P7, clean side with faster starting tires. Not bad I guess

Only the Mercs and Tsunoda wil bw on mediums !!

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:12
Wow....the boo's for Lewis.

patrese86
11th December 2021, 13:14
Good try from our boys. We think it's going to be a 2 stop because we didn't want the medium and that's why we tried to get through on it in Q1

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 13:15
https://i.imgur.com/qmdqJWT.jpg

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:15
Glad to see Max P1. Now comes the race tomorrow. CLASH OF THE TITANS.

Do you still feel Mercs engine is fast in quali ?? After Honda engine top speed?

Toto saying “probably RB went for track position in quali”.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:17

It’s obvious if you see last races. Mercs has edge on race pace over RB.
In Quali it’s RB.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:19
Do you still feel Mercs engine is fast in quali ?? After Honda engine top speed?

Lewis will start on mediums and Max on softs. 2 stop for Max and probably a 1 stop for Lewis.....provided everything goes well in the race. I'm not counting out Lewis's engine for the race.

The tow helped Max.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:21
Lewis will start on mediums and Max on softs. 2 stop for Max and probably a 1 stop for Lewis.....provided everything goes well in the race. I'm not counting out Lewis's engine for the race.

I think you are pointing out to strategy. My question was do you still feel, Honda engine is still behind Mercs.

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 13:21
It’s obvious if you see last races. Mercs has edge on race pace over RB.
In Quali it’s RB.

This why I don't get the hype about Mercedes engine. I guess the usual suspects here are simply repeating Horner and Marko's propaganda.

The simple fact is, Max would've been on pole in Saudi Arabia if not for his mistakes. And today he's easily on pole. The Honda engine is clearly not lacking any grunt in the qualifying.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:22
I think you are pointing out to strategy. My question was do you still feel, Honda engine is still behind Mercs.

I edited my post......the tow helped Max from Perez.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:25
This why I don't get the hype about Mercedes engine. I guess the usual suspects here are simply repeating Horner and Marko's propaganda.

The simple fact is, Max would've been on pole in Saudi Arabia if not for his mistakes. And today he's easily on pole. The Honda engine is clearly not lacking any grunt in the qualifying.

Yup my point too….!!

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:25

We'll see how the Honda engine handles the Merc engine during the race tomorrow. I'm being cautious.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:26
I edited my post......the tow helped Max from Perez.

:thumb but still Honda engine is fastest above Mercs in quali.

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 13:30
We'll see how the Honda engine handles the Merc engine during the race tomorrow. I'm being cautious.

Qualifying shows the true picture, both the engine and the chassis perform at their maximum peak. And since Max has won most races this year, we already know exactly how the Honda engine performs during the race.

But pressure and tyre management are equally important. So we'll see which one of them will handle the pressure well.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:30
:thumb but still Honda engine is fastest above Mercs in quali.

Quali is one thing....the race is another story. Sonetimes P1, depending on the track, is not the best position meaning after 3 laps, DRS comes into play and Lewis can pounce on Max after 4 or 5 laps....then you have tire strategy.

I hope Max wins the race but like I said, I'm being cautious about the race.

Tifoso Svedese
11th December 2021, 13:33
That was a fun qualifying but it never is fun to lose to Norris.

At least Ricciardo is a long way off so they're almost certainly not getting a 1-3 tomorrow.

From a strategic standpoint it's going to be an interesting race and hopefully we have enough to secure 6th and 7th at the very least. If Charles is fifth then P5 overall is his unless Norris finished on the podium which I really doubt he will. Presumably, Bottas and Pérez will both make short work of Norris throughout the race.

Otherwise then, Tifosi1993's cryptonite will do a two-stop, Lulu presumably a one-stop and then it will be decided on whether a late-race overtake is possible on better tyres from some way back.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:34
Qualifying shows the true picture, both the engine and the chassis perform at their maximum peak. And since Max has won most races this year, we already know exactly how Honda engine performs during the race.

But pressure and tyre management are equally important. So we'll see which one of them will handle the pressure well.

I sorta agree with this. Quali and race are 2 different outcomes regarding engine performance. They turn the engine up during quali...not to mention a tow also helps. During the race, the engine are'nt turned up. Then you got tire strats--> Mercs have the better tire strat.

DJTaurus
11th December 2021, 13:37

If they gone for track position then Perez should be 3rd.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:38
Nico and Hill having differences of opionion.

Nico and Button having differences of opinion.

Nico is pro Max....the others are pro Lewis.

Alonsomaniac
11th December 2021, 13:38
What is more important to me, is the position of Norris. Leclerc has work to do tomorrow to keep 5th.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:40
Quali is one thing....the race is another story. Sonetimes P1, depending on the track, is not the best position meaning after 3 laps, DRS comes into play and Lewis can pounce on Max after 4 or 5 laps....then you have tire strategy.

I hope Max wins the race but like I said, I'm being cautious about the race.

I feel Mercs does have good advantage in terms of strategy. Nevertheless it’s all dependent at the start Lap1 when all lights go out.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:41
If they gone for track position then Perez should be 3rd.

Team game was played & Perez doesn’t have that pace

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:41
What is more important to me, is the position of Norris. Leclerc has work to do tomorrow to keep 5th.

Shame Leclerc lost it in the sector 3. Glad to see Sainz P5. Leclerc has to work to be better than P7.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:42
Team game was played & Perez doesn’t have that pace

agreed

DJTaurus
11th December 2021, 13:44
I don’t understand why we still talking about Merc Vs RB engine when after Brazil Hamilton with his fresh unit is destroying even max in race pace. Also Bottas delivering better than Perez and if in the last race didn’t have the accident on first lap it could have fought with Max with P2.

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:45

Sainz & leclerc will fight with each other on track once again. That’s how I’m seeing from last few races.
Don’t know why they are delaying team orders until pace is gone from tyres.

Tomorrow whoever is faster should attack Norris.

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 13:47
I don’t understand why we still talking about Merc Vs RB engine when after Brazil Hamilton with his fresh unit is destroying even max in race pace. Also Bottas delivering better than Perez and if in the last race didn’t have the accident on first lap it could have fought with Max with P2.

yep, that's what I'm afraid of tomorrow. I honestly hope Lewis's spicy engine goes BOOOOOOM!!!

JPZ
11th December 2021, 13:52
Verstappen in pole position!

nani_s23
11th December 2021, 13:53
yep, that's what I'm afraid of tomorrow. I honestly hope Lewis's spicy engine goes BOOOOOOM!!!

7 time WDC experience vs arrogant talented driver

FYI, Lewis was in this situation couple of times. Also he like hunting it down. That’s where I feel he has the edge over max tmrw.

paolo lalli
11th December 2021, 13:56
Ferrari picking up the scraps again that about it.Surely next year there is a seat at the head of the table,the hybrid era can not finish quick enough .Scraps only in abu dabi.

PURE PASSION
11th December 2021, 16:10
https://i.imgur.com/qmdqJWT.jpg

Does anyone knows how Lec managed his S2 time?? did he had a tow or something??

tifosi1993
11th December 2021, 16:27
Does anyone knows how Lec managed his S2 time?? did he had a tow or something??

No tow, it was a genuine pace. He did personal best in the S1 and 2, but his sector 3 was pretty poor, he did 30.3 in his final attempt which was 2 tenths slower than his personal best.

PURE PASSION
11th December 2021, 16:45
Ahead of one McLaren…Good day?
Charles: "No! Not very happy because the first and second sector were coming together really strong. I think I was there with P3. Then in the last sector, I basically pushed too much in S1 and S2, and lost with tyres. Τhere was no any particular mistake, just no grip at all & struggling with the rear and the front actually. Just overheating from all four tyres. It is a shame but it is life. I think we are strong in the race pace. Hopefully we can put everything together tomorrow!"

wisepie
11th December 2021, 16:56
Lol crofty was praying for a lap deletion for Verstappen for track limits. Buddy, relax, your golden boy has half a second on Verstappen.

Stellar lap from Leclerc, seems we don’t have the 1 lap pace this weekend. Let’s see how q2 and 3 goes….

No way am I a HAM fan and I'm insulted that you have misunderstood my rant about free to air race coverage in the UK this weekend, just because it's possibly HAM's 8th title.....I have been paying Sky and its cronies all year to watch races live, preferably muted as Crofty & Co drive me mad most of the time.;-)

wisepie
11th December 2021, 17:03
Quali could have been better for us without Lando in P3 and Carlos must have nursed his tyres better than Charles, but there isn't much in it and P5/7 isn't too bad. Hope we can have an incident-free race and that both drivers manage to cover any Mclaren threat. Prefer a Max WDC to another HAM-fest, but wish it was one of ours.;-)

jgonzalesm6
11th December 2021, 18:08
AMuS

Ferrari found out during Friday's race simulations that the soft tyre lasts longer than expected. Binotto: "This gives us the freedom to race with one or two stops. I think Verstappen is not so badly served with his tyre choice."

JPZ
11th December 2021, 20:03
Before qualifying I was worried but with the current pace I think Verstappen has a good chance tomorrow even if in race conditions the Mercedes is still faster.

Hopefully he will be able to stay in front at the start.

SS454
11th December 2021, 20:24

Maybe because Max is just that fast and Lewis is perhaps overrated?

Bottas took a dump and only found 2 tenths over his Medium tire run otherwise he would have been 3rd. Perez a whopping 8 tenths behind, and fortunate to be 4th as he got to benefit from a tow as well (according to the commentators).

Everyone suggested qualifying in Jeddah was critical, so it's possible RBR put more emphasis on quali pace. The car was only fast with Max, Perez was no where. In the race Max's best pace on mediums was still 7 tenths slower than the Mercedes on worn hards and a broken wing, which was apparently worth 4 tenths.

What people just couldn't grasp was they thought the Brazil straightline speed was all down to horsepower, when in fact it was likely more down to aero. Since Red Bull brought their book of "proof" to the Stewards about Mercedes running their own legal - illegal rear wing, their straight line speed advantage seems to have reduced.

Honda certainly isn't making any more power.

patrese86
11th December 2021, 21:18
Mercs engine is the real deal..for races in Brazil, Qatar and Jeddah they could run a higher downforce and not lose much on the straights. Here though at Abu Dhabi they seem to be losing a bit because red bull have gone for a skinny wing but still able to maintain the grip required in S3.

Either way Max is another level (our Charles I believe could give him a run for his money if he had a similar car), that lap at Jeddah was Senna esque and even though he binned it he was right on the edge. Again here when the margins are decided by a driver Max is the one finding the limits. He would absolutely annilhate Lewis in a mercedes. 8 tenths clear of Perez is mad.

For our boys, let's make Bottas life as difficult as possible, Charles was lapping in and around his time the last few GP's and we can make a a good start on the softer compounds. A good opportunity for a podium here and finish on a good note before 2022.

DJTaurus
12th December 2021, 07:35
Of the last 3 races Hamilton has used his new engine only on 2 of them. So it’s the 3rd time on this GP…..his p2 performance with medium tyre before anyone put soft was 7tenths faster than anyone else. Seriously i don’t know how max will keep him behind on the long straight.

elnano14
12th December 2021, 11:53
No race thread yet ?