Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BTCC news.

Motorbase to remain in BTCC

Friday, March 19th 2010, 15:15 GMT

Motorbase Performance will remain in the British Touring Car Championship this season after its title sponsor from 2009, Airwaves, reversed its decision to withdraw from the championship.

The squad will continue to run under the Airwaves BMW banner, as it did last year, although there will be at least one change to the driver line-up following Rob Collard's recent switch to fellow BMW squad WSR.

Motorbase has not announced its 2010 drivers yet, although it will run a pair of BMW 320si machines again. Steven Kane, Ben Collins, Andrew Jordan and Tim Bridgman all tested for the team during the winter.

Team principal David Bartrum said: "Our original plan was to run a BTCC newcomer alongside an experienced driver, in the same way that we brought Steven Kane and Jonathan Adam to touring cars over the past couple of years.

"I'm not sure it will quite work out like that now. As things stand today, we might even go one better."
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

BTCC teams granted extra testing

Friday, March 19th 2010, 15:31 GMT

British Touring Car Championship teams have been granted an eight days of winter testing ahead of the new season.

Traditionally, teams have been allowed unrestricted testing until the pre-season media day, which takes place at Brands Hatch on March 23, and then were barred from running outside official championship test days until the season's end.

However, series director Alan Gow will now allow teams to continue testing without limitation until March 31, after which in-season testing will be limited to one day at Rockingham on May 25 and one at Snetterton on July 22.

Gow said: "It is clear that some teams and drivers are facing the prospect of arriving at our first event with less testing than they would have preferred. In many cases this is simply due to not having been able to finalise their deals until very late and/or not being able to prepare their cars in good time for some meaningful testing.

"I am fully sympathetic to this issue and have no desire to see some teams and drivers arrive at our first event without having had as much opportunity to test as possible.

"We have therefore decided that the date for the start of the testing restriction should be extended by eight days, meaning teams can now test until 5pm on Wednesday March 31, when the restriction will then come into play."

The BTCC gets underway at Thruxton on April 4.

Two Toms aiming high
    Team Aon team-mates Tom Chilton and Tom Onslow-Cole have high hopes for their LPG-powered Ford Focus STs in this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Their squad confirmed earlier this afternoon that its cars will, uniquely, run on liquified petroleum gas in 2010 thanks to a major technical partnership with Calor (see separate story on btcc.net).

The decision follows an intensive test and development programme and Chilton clearly believes LPG power can help the Focus to its maiden win in the BTCC – he missed out on giving it a first victory in last year’s final round by just 0.015s to Jason Plato’s Chevrolet.

And a win would clearly mean a lot to Chilton (pictured above) – not only is it more than a year since he crossed the line in first spot, but he has been an integral part of the Aon Focus project since day one.

The 24-year-old, originally from Reigate, Surrey but now living in Poole, Dorset, said: “We’ve got a great chance, for sure. The car is amazing to drive, responds well to all the set-up changes we’ve introduced and I believe the new LPG engine is as powerful as anything else out there.

“There are some new team and driver combinations who will obviously improve through the year so we will need to take advantage of the continuity we have, hit the ground running and bag as many points as possible in the first few events.”

For Onslow-Cole, 2010 will mark his first full BTCC campaign since 2008 when he was twice a race-winner with Vauxhall’s factory VXR squad. He only joined Aon mid-way through last season but was instantly a front-runner again…

The 22-year-old from New Malden, Surrey, added: I can’t wait to take the new car out and see what it can do in a competitive environment. We already know that LPG is a more environmentally friendly fuel than petrol, so if it also proves to be a race winner then I’m sure I’ll be driving a car powered by the fuel for the future for British motor sport.”

Team boss Mike Earle, whose Arena International Motorsports company prepares the Aon Fords, is also confident its new LPG technology with Calor will reap rewards having seen his cars end the 2009 season on terrific form.

For the record, a win for an Aon Focus in 2010 would herald the first victory for the mighty Ford name in the BTCC since 2000. Fords have won 219 BTCC races since the BTCC started back in 1958 – that's nearly 100 more than the next best tally of 125 achieved by Vauxhall.

Earle commented: “I think we’re in great shape going into the season. As well as retaining fantastic support from Aon we have been fortunate to have attracted new partners both commercially and technically which has enabled us to carry on with the development programme that was planned last year.

“We have looked at every aspect of the Focus and taken what was already a very good car and improved it. The decision to run with LPG was a logical one but has presented us with additional challenges. Our aim is to produce the most competitive package possible and along with the engine and chassis developments we also need talented drivers and in Tom Chilton and Tom Onslow-Cole we have that as well.”

LPG for Aon Fords
    Team Aon has announced its Ford Focus STs will be powered by liquified petroleum gas (LPG) in 2010 with Tom Onslow-Cole joining Tom Chilton in the driver line-up.

By going the LPG route for its 2010 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship campaign, Mike Earle’s squad has attracted a major sponsor in high street brand Calor Gas. Auto Windscreens will also become involved as a co-sponsor of the team.

Aon becomes the first front-running team in the championship to make the switch to LPG. In addition, the news adds further credibility to the BTCC’s ‘green credentials’ that are well documented and also way ahead of most other high-profile race series around the world.

The team’s decision to switch to LPG follows an extensive evaluation programme with the team’s engine development partner Mountune Racing and leading UK supplier Calor.

Chris Taylor, Calor’s Autogas Development Manager says he is excited the unique opportunity which will use brand new LPG technology.

In an official Team Aon statement he commented: “The launch of the first competitive LPG car specially developed to suit a motor sport environment is testament to the hard work that has gone into improving performance for autogas vehicles."

“We’ve been delighted at its performance in testing so far. In a climate where motor sport is under intense scrutiny for its contribution to carbon emissions it’s never been a better time to show how LPG, as a greener alternative fuel, can help to power the sport with a reduced environmental footprint.

“And the best thing is similar technology can be applied to the majority of petrol vehicles – on and off the track.”

Meanwhile Earle, whose West Sussex-based Arena International Motorsports oversees the Aon Ford project, clearly believes his LPG-powered cars could be title contenders in 2010.

He added: “We had hoped to run three cars but, with the technical complexities we have had to overcome, we will start the season with just two entries and look to run a third car later in the year. I’m very excited about this coming season and whilst winning any championship is never easy I believe it is a realistic goal for Team Aon.”

More to follow...

Plato to race RML Chevrolet Cruze

RML will run a pair of factory-supported Chevrolet Cruzes in the British Touring Car Championship this season under the Silverline Chevrolet banner, with Jason Plato staying on as the lead driver in the squad.

Plato, 42, previously drove for RML when it ran the SEAT works squad in 2004, and returned last year after signing a deal to race an independently-fielded Chevrolet Lacetti three days before the start of the season.

After missing out on the title by only five points, the 2001 champion is confident of challenging for honours this season.

"I always had confidence that teaming up with RML again last year would mean wins - the Chevrolet Lacetti of 2009 was a formidable piece of kit," he said.

"Now in 2010 we have manufacturer support from Chevrolet, continued support from Silverline and a very exciting new car in the Cruze. We are very motivated to make this our year, the opposition better be ready. Roll on Thruxton."

Plato's team-mate will be Renault Clio Cup runner-up Alex MacDowall, who, at 19 years old, will be the youngest driver on the grid.

"To compete in the BTCC has been my goal for some time, and it's a great feeling to not only be entering the series this year, but to being doing so with such a competitive and experienced team as RML," said MacDowall, who also tested for the Motorbase and WSR BMW squads during the winter.

"I'm really excited for the season ahead - the Cruze has proven its pace and reliability in WTCC, and from the initial test last week there's no doubting that it will translate well in the BTCC."
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Chevy bosses confident of success www.btcc.net

The bosses behind Chevrolet’s first official entry into Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship believe their Cruze model can bring them title success in 2010.

Renowned Wellingborough-based organisation RML will run a pair of Cruzes under the Silverline Chevrolet banner this season with official manufacturer support from the famed US marque. Former champion Jason Plato and newcomer Alex MacDowall have been confirmed as the drivers (see separate story).

And said Chevrolet UK Managing Director Mark Terry: “The Cruze has already shown itself to be a superb racing car in the World Touring Car Championship, so the decision to enter it in the most high profile series in the UK was made much easier.

“We’re looking forward to an exciting season, and one that will raise the profile of both the Chevrolet brand and the style and dynamic appeal of the Cruze – a car that has already proven to be a success both on and off the track.”

RML has an enviable track record in the BTCC, having run highly successful campaigns for other manufacturers in the past, including Vauxhall and Nissan with whom it lifted the 1995 and 1999 drivers’ titles among others.

CEO Ray Mallock sees no reason why Chevrolet cannot become its third title-winning manufacturer. Indeed, last year it came oh-so close to winning the title with Plato in an independently-run Chevrolet Lacetti.

Mallock added: “I am really pleased to confirm the continued partnership with Silverline Tools and, new for this year, with Chevrolet UK. RML prides itself on managing top line projects, representing some of the automotive industry’s biggest manufacturers in the world.

“Last year we got tantalizingly close to taking another BTCC title. This year as we approach the first round at Thruxton, we’ve had a little more time ahead of us to plan and organise and in the switch to the Chevrolet Cruze, we are aiming for the title win. With the support of Silverline Tools and Chevrolet UK, two hugely talented drivers, Jason and Alex, and a very committed team in place, I think we have a great opportunity to do just that.”

Silverline’s continued involvement in the BTCC follows its very successful title sponsorship of the RML squad in 2009 when it achieved 11 race victories – seven of them falling to Plato.

The company’s CEO James Goddard-Watts said: “Silverline Tools are thrilled to confirm the continued partnership with Jason and RML and we welcome rising star, Alex, to the team. Last year we enjoyed a fantastic season, our first with RML and the Chevrolet Lacetti.

"We just missed out on the title, but with tremendous effort from all involved, it was a great start to an important association and we all eagerly await the first race of the season at Thruxton. We’ve high hopes for championship success this year and look forward to working with RML and Chevrolet UK.”

Hope this will bring back Triple 8 racing and those VXR Vectra's and GIO!!!

Jackson, Kane for Airwaves BMW

Mat Jackson and Steven Kane will race for the Airwaves BMW team in this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

The duo were officially confirmed as team-mates late last night, on the eve of the BTCC’s annual pre-season Media Day launch at Brands Hatch.

Warwickshire’s Jackson finished BTCC runner-up in 2008 in a BMW. That same season, Northern Irishman Kane, also in one of the German machines, starred with several podium finishes for David Bartrum’s Motorbase team before it ran under the Airwaves banner.

Team principal Bartrum told btcc.net: “In Mat and Steven we have a dream driver line-up which I defy anyone to rival.”

And he added in a statement: “Frankly, I couldn’t be happier. We know Steven’s potential well, having worked with him in the Carrera Cup before the BTCC, but then the chance to add Mat to the line-up was something really worth working for – his record in just three seasons in the BTCC speaks for itself.”

News that the popular Wrigley's high street brand Airwaves will continue to title-sponsor the Wrotham-based Motorbase team is a major boost for Bartrum. In addition, Leyland Paints will increase its backing during the 2010 season, while The Money Shop – the UK’s leading cheque-cashing business – has also added its support for 2010.

In just three seasons, Jackson has achieved 11 race wins in the BTCC. He was officially voted the ‘Fans Favourite’ in 2008 and last year became the first driver of the BTCC’s triple-header era to finish on the podium in every race at two consecutive events (as part of a sensational run of eight top-three results in a row).

The 28-year-old, from Henley-in-Arden, said: “It’s fantastic to be back in a BMW and with Airwaves on board its definitely time to kick up a gear! It would be an understatement to say that exciting times lie ahead. I feel this could be a great partnership – all of the team have the same focus and mine is no different… to win. With our new team partner Moneyshop.tv, I just hope that we can be cashing in as early as round one at Thruxton!”

Kane, meanwhile, will be eager to make it two BTCC titles in a row for Northern Ireland after fellow Ulsterman Colin Turkington lifted the crown last season. The 29-year-old commented: “It’s great to be back in the BTCC, especially with Motorbase Performance and Airwaves BMW – the last time I raced the BMW at Brands Hatch, I finished second twice… time to kick up a gear and start winning!

“I tested the car at the end of last year, back at Brands, and it’s very clear the team and car have moved on. I have great respect for David Bartrum and I think he has really put a great team together – with Mat, I will have a fantastic team-mate and I'm sure we will form a good partnership both on and off the track. This will enable both of us to have a real good shot at the title.”

Finally, Bartrum is eager for the start of the season at Thruxton on Easter Sunday 4 April, particularly as both his new drivers are proven winners around the high-speed circuit. Jackson has twice tasted victory there in the BTCC as well as in SEAT Cupras, while Kane took all four Carrera Cup wins at the Hants track in 2007.

Bartrum said: “Our guys have a pretty solid record round there, while I know that some of the other teams don’t… but we’ll see, come Easter weekend.”

Increased 23-car entry for 2010

The Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship has this morning officially confirmed a 23-car entry for its much-anticipated 2010 season. Defying the current economic climate, that’s more than was announced at the start of 2009 and includes a number of new teams, drivers, models of cars and big name sponsors.

Media, VIP guests and fans have descended on the world-famous Brands Hatch circuit in Kent for the annual launch of the UK’s premier motor racing series. There, the teams and drivers are taking part in an official test session prior to the opening round, which this year will be staged at the Thruxton circuit in Hampshire on Easter Sunday 4 April.

In total, seven different manufacturers, with nine different models, are represented on the grid, namely: BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, SEAT, Vauxhall and VW.

Notably Honda and, for the first time, Chevrolet have entered as official manufacturer teams with former champions and fierce rivals Matt Neal and Jason Plato spearheading their campaigns, running under the Team Honda and Silverline Chevrolet banners respectively. Chevrolet’s entry also debuts its striking Cruze model into the BTCC. Joining Plato in the Chevrolet fold for what will be his debut season in the BTCC will be the youngest driver on the grid, Alex MacDowall who has only just turned 19.

Uniquely, Team Aon’s front-running Ford Focus will be powered by pioneering liquified petroleum gas (LPG) technology, while Triple Eight Race Engineering – which masterminded the factory Vauxhall team’s six drivers’ titles during the last decade – will continue with a pair of its Vectras for two as-yet unnamed drivers.

Looking to the future, two teams, Pirtek Racing and Pinkney Motorsport, will use the BTCC’s turbo-charged ‘Next Generation Touring Car’ engine, each in a Vauxhall Vectra, ahead of the arrival of full-blown NGTC regulations in 2011.

WSR, 2009’s title-winning team, and Airwaves BMW will both continue to run BMW’s ultra-successful 320si model, but with all-new driver line-ups. Robert Collard, an Airwaves driver in 2009, and Andy Neate – back after a remarkable recovery from serious injury – are both in at WSR. Meanwhile, Mat Jackson – second in 2008’s championship in a BMW – and the returning Steven Kane form Airwaves’ line-up. Newcomer Forster Motorsport makes it six BMWs on the grid.

In addition, the VW Golf – one of the most iconic models in motor manufacturing history – will appear in the BTCC for the first time since 1989, run by new team AmD Milltek Racing.com. Also entering its first BTCC campaign, Special Tuning UK maintains SEAT’s presence with the Spanish make’s Leon.

Meanwhile, Hondas and Vauxhalls are further represented thanks to four smaller teams entering older but nevertheless still-potent BTC-spec cars. Running Honda Integras – one for pop star Mel C’s brother Paul O’Neill – are Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport and, making its debut, Central Group Racing. TH Motorsport is fielding a Honda Civic Type R and Boulevard Team Racing continues with its 2001 Vauxhall Astra Coupe that twice achieved top ten results in 2009.

This year’s BTCC season will once again receive massive TV coverage across the ITV network. Mammoth six hour-plus broadcasts from all ten race events on ITV4 will each be followed by four 90-minute highlights on ITV1, ITV4 and Men & Motors. Coverage is set to break the 120-hours mark – beating 2009’s record figures. Furthermore, the itv.com website will live-stream ITV4’s race-day coverage.

And, as announced previously, world-renowned tyre company Dunlop has returned as title sponsor of the BTCC for the next four years. In conjunction with the BTCC, Dunlop last year developed pioneering RFID technology in its tyres. This year it will introduce a new race tyre to the series, the Dunlop Sport Maxx BTCC, which is more durable and also complies with latest EU environmental regulations. Similarly, Dunlop’s sister company, ‘fast fit’ vehicle service HiQ, will back the hotly-contested Teams’ Championship through to 2013 after two years as title sponsor of the BTCC.

“This is a fantastic start to our new season and a new decade for the BTCC,” commented BTCC Series Director Alan Gow. “Globally, motor sport has really felt the pinch of late following what has been a very cruel recession, yet the BTCC continues to buck that trend and set an example for many other high-profile series around the world, as shown by our 2010 entry list.

“I’m immensely proud of the huge efforts made by the teams, drivers and sponsors during the winter to ensure they are here, but the fact they continue to want to compete and succeed in the BTCC speaks volumes for this great championship’s ability to excite, inspire and reward at the very highest level in the UK. No doubt, as normal, even more teams and drivers will join the championship during the course of the season – which is further testament to the BTCC as being Britain’s biggest drawcard for teams, drivers and sponsors.

“Just to remind people of a few facts: our trackside crowds are often bigger than many Premiership football games; we are watched by many millions on TV, in both the UK and right around the world, thanks to our truly terrific broadcast partner ITV; we enjoy the tremendous support of a hugely passionate title sponsor in Dunlop; plus, the free admission for children and unrivalled interaction between the public and the stars all make the BTCC a unique sporting attraction.

“The BTCC remains way ahead of all other motor racing series in Britain in terms of public profile, variety, action, competitive rivalry, unpredictability, popularity and levels of professionalism… and our entry list again underlines its stature. In fact, many other international series look at our championship with real envy. I look forward to what promises to be another phenomenal season in the BTCC’s illustrious history.”

2 Jason Plato British Silverline Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze (M)
    4 Matt Neal British Team Honda Honda Civic (M)
    5 Mat Jackson British Airwaves BMW BMW 320si E90 (I)
    6 Robert Collard British WSR BMW 320si E90 (I)
    11 Steven Kane British Airwaves BMW BMW 320si E90 (I)
    20 Alex MacDowall British Silverline Chevrolet Chevrolet Cruze (M)
    21 Tom Onslow-Cole British Team Aon Ford Focus ST (I)
    22 Tom Boardman British Special Tuning UK SEAT Leon (I)
    23 Tom Chilton British Team Aon Ford Focus ST (I)
    27 Martin Johnson British Boulevard Team Racing Vauxhall Astra Coupe (I)
    28 John George British Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport Honda Integra (I)
    29 Paul O'Neill British Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport Honda Integra (I)
    30 Martin Depper British Forster Motorsport BMW 320si E90 (I)
    37 Arthur Forster British Forster Motorsport BMW 320si E90 (I)
    43 Lea Wood British Central Group Racing Honda Integra (I)
    44 Andy Neate British WSR BMW 320si E90 (I)
    52 Gordon Shedden British Team Honda Honda Civic (M)
    55 David Pinkney British Pinkney Motorsport Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    77 Andrew Jordan British Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    88 TBA Triple Eight Race Engineering Vauxhall Vectra (I)
    98 Matt Hamilton British TH Motorsport Honda Civic Type R (I)
    99 Shaun Hollamby British AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf MK5 (I)
    888 TBA Triple Eight Race Engineering Vauxhall Vectra (I)

Cars 2, 4, 20 & 52 are Manufacturer entrants within the Manufacturers/Constructors Championship.

Cars 21 & 23 are Independent Constructor entrants, within the Manufacturers/Constructors Championship.

(M) Manufacturer

(I) Independent
    BTCC Driver Standings/Top 10/01/ / View All Standings

Big grid can't wait, no Turkers? shame that
    Forza Ferrari

Going to Rockingham so hope it's good
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Big grid can't wait, no Turkers? shame that
    it big grid, lots of action and bumping be great. Oh yeah, he aint there is he? just noticed that. I like try get to Brands, Snetterton is 100% all go.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Going to Rockingham so hope it's good
    How long wil that take you to get there?

I'm in Hull that weekend so we are going from there, not too long I don't think, going to Knockhill as well though
    Forza Ferrari

Shouldnt take long from there, hope traffic good for ya mate. This year will be action packed, shame about GIO, as always hard but fair fighter (driver) See the Triple 8 cars still TBA, so fingers crossed Gio will return.

yeah would be good if Gio and Turkers were back on the grid
    Forza Ferrari

No Turkers or Gio. Big Shame. At least it's easy to hate Matt Neal.

Should be a good grid though with some interesting new blood in the mix

I just love BTCC

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Plato, Cruze set the pace

Jason Plato and Chevrolet’s new Cruze threw down the gauntlet for their rivals with the fastest ever British Touring Car lap recorded around the Brands Hatch Indy circuit during official testing for the Dunlop-backed championship today.

During the afternoon session, 2001 champion Plato set a scintillating lap time of 48.662s in the Cruze as Gordon Shedden (Team Honda), Steven Kane (Airwaves BMW) and Tom Chilton (Aon Ford Focus) made it four different makes of car in the top four. Ultimately, it was a fantastic response from Plato who missed the morning session after a steering problem on his car.

Overall, less than a second covered the fastest 14 drivers out of the 20 who took part in today’s test.
    Plato’s time was some 0.155s faster than Scotsman Shedden (48.817s), on great form having rejoined the Dynamics-run Team Honda squad to drive its heavily-revised Civic.

Kane, fastest in the morning session with a lap in 48.821s, was unable to better his time in the afternoon and so slipped to third but it was also a terrific effort from the Northern Irishman on his return – after a year out – to the Motorbase-run Airwaves BMW outfit.

Chilton’s fourth fastest time underlined the progress being made Team Aon with its new LPG technology that is powering its two Ford Focus STs. Team-mate Tom Onslow-Cole, concentrating on longer runs, was eighth.

Just ahead of him and behind the top four came Shedden’s team-mate Matt Neal (fifth on 48.930s), Robert Collard (sixth in WSR’s BMW on 48.963s) and Plato’s young rookie team-mate Alex MacDowall, an impressive seventh on 49.109s.

‘Fans favourite’ Paul O’Neill was ninth in his older but nevertheless still-potent BTC-spec Honda Integra. Some people are tipping the Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport driver to be a strong contender in the BTCC’s opening round at Thruxton (Sunday 4 April) as it is a circuit that has always suited the Integra’s slippery shape.

Close behind, Andrew Jordan was tenth fastest in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra that is using BTCC organiser TOCA’s new turbocharged NGTC engine. The identically-powered Vectra of Pinkney Motorsport’s David Pinkney also lapped at a similar pace, 12th fastest overall.

A low key 11th by his standards was Mat Jackson on his debut outing for the Airwaves BMW squad. It is understood that he and Kane were experimenting with different set-ups, with Jackson also concentrating more on longer distance runs.

Andy Neate, returning to racing after 18 months out with injury, was 13th fastest in his WSR BMW ahead of Matt Hamilton, an encouraging 14th in his BTC-spec TH Motorsport Honda Civic Type R. Hamilton had earlier caused the only stoppage of the day when he slid wide and nosed into the barriers at Clearways. He was later delayed when his car’s fifth gear failed.

O’Neill’s team-mate John George was next up followed by Tom Boardman in his Special Tuning UK SEAT Leon, although he reported his day’s running had been blighted by a persistent engine mapping problem.

The ever-jovial Martin Johnson was 17th and within 1.5s of the ultimate pace in his Boulevard Team Racing Vauxhall Astra Coupe. Newcomers Lea Wood (Central Racing Group Honda Integra) and Arthur Forster (Forster Motorsport BMW) rounded out the timed runners. Forster managed only a dozen laps in the morning before his car’s engine developed an oil leak – but at least he was able to take to the track; team-mate Martin Depper was unable to participate after his car’s powerplant had failed in a test at Croft late last week.

Shaun Hollamby’s stunning new AmD Technik Racing.com VW Golf was also on track, although no official time was registered. It was not until the end of the day, as well, that Hollamby finally enjoyed ten trouble-free laps, he and his mechanics having spent much of the day curing a misfire.

Go Plato

I want him to win but he needs some stiff competition to make it worthwhile

theres seats at Triple 8 racing, so im crossing all fingers that "Him" will come back, no not turkers. Gio.

Triple Eight confirms Glew
    Philip Glew will race for multiple title-winning team Triple Eight Race Engineering in this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Triple Eight confirmed this morning that Glew, last year’s dominant Renault Clio Cup champion, will be behind the wheel of one of two Vauxhall Vectras it has entered.

Notably, Glew’s chief Clio Cup rival from 2010, Alex MacDowall, is also graduating to the BTCC this season, having signed with the factory-supported Silverline Chevrolet team – meaning they will again be locked in battle in front-running cars.

Glew, from Louth, Lincs knows a drive with Triple Eight marks a golden opportunity for him to shine in his debut BTCC season. Ian Harrison’s squad has become one of the most successful in BTCC history with six drivers’ titles alone in the last decade with aces such as Jason Plato, James Thompson, Yvan Muller and Fabrizio Giovanardi.

The 26-year-old said: “I am over the moon to finally get my chance to move into the BTCC after such a successful season last year and especially with such a prestigious team as Triple Eight Race Engineering.

“I tested for the team two weeks ago and was blown away by how professional they were and I knew straight away that this was the place for me. We had to work really hard since the test to put a deal together with the team and I am delighted that my current sponsors WD-40 and 3-IN-ONE as well as new sponsor, paint company Glasurit, will be supporting us for the 2010 BTCC season.”

Harrison, who has worked with some of the biggest names in the BTCC, believes Glew’s track record suggests can quickly establish himself as a front-runner – last year he won 11 out of the Clio Cup’s 20 races – despite the deal having come together just over a week before Thruxton’s opening round (Sunday 4 April).

“I'm really pleased to have Phil on board the Vectra this season. Although he will be starting with very little preparation time, his track record in Clios will stand him in good stead,” commented Harrison.

And Glew added: “I am extremely excited about making my debut at Thruxton, but it is going to be a steep learning curve especially with no opportunity to test the car. I am going to be thrown in right at the deep end and will have to make the most of the two free practice sessions on Saturday morning, but I am looking forward to the challenge and learning from Triple Eight's experience as the season unfolds.”

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-14731999.html

Colin Turkington has become the latest motorsport victim of the economic recession.

The Portadown driver was the first Northern Ireland winner of the prestigious British Touring Car Championship title last year, but he will not be back to defend his crown.

With the start the new season just two weeks away he has admitted defeat in the hunt for funding for his 2010 campaign.

“We have contacted close to 80 companies since Christmas, but haven’t been able to secure anything like the funding required for this season despite the high profile of the BTCC and the 100-plus hours of television coverage the series receives,” said Turkington.

“It is a huge disappointment, but I suppose it is just a reflection of the difficult times all businesses are experiencing.”

Turkington’s troubles began shortly after he won the title for Team RAC in a gripping, last-race climax at Brands Hatch last October. The RAC had reached the end of their three-year sponsorship programme with the West Surrey Racing team and announced that they would be reducing their involvement for 2010.

Since then, Turkington and WSR boss Bennetts have been searching for a replacement sponsor, but without success.

“Motor racing at this level is a business, an expensive business, and while has made it clear he wants me back in the team it has to be paid for and we haven’t been able to come up with the money,” said Turkington.

“It is as simple as that. It means I won’t be defending my title when the season starts at Thruxton over Easter weekend. I’m devastated to be honest — it will be the first time since 2003 I haven’t been racing in the BTCC, but never say never.

“I’m still trying my best to find the funding and West Surrey have a car there for me if something can be sorted out for later in the season, but even if that happens I wouldn’t be in a position to fight for the championship. After the highs of winning last season it is hard to get your head round the fact it is all over — for now at least.”
    Forza Ferrari

Ooooooooh nooooooooo gutted !!!
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

that not good news. Looking forward to see him try to defend his crown. Isnt that keen on him, but wish him all best luck to get sponsorship money, hope see him on grid during season

This says a hell of a lot about the recession. Gio cant drive, Turkers can't drive..... Plato gets in at the last moment (again). It really is sad. All the Champs cant get in (except Neal and no-one gives a stuff about him!)

It's just so depressing!

Giovanardi seals late Triple 8 deal

By Jamie O'Leary Friday, April 2nd 2010, 11:11 GMT

Fabrizio Giovanardi will race in the opening round of the British Touring Car Championship at Thruxton this weekend after signing a last-minute deal with Triple 8 Engineering.

The 2007 and '08 champion had been left driveless after Vauxhall withdrew from the BTCC at the end of last year, but will now race a Vectra for Triple 8 alongside Phil Glew.

"I'm delighted to have Fabrizio back in the team," Triple 8 team principal Ian Harrison told AUTOSPORT. "He's an absolute class act, as we've found out over the last four years.

"He's had very little mileage, just three miles going up and down the runway at Turweston Aerodrome on Thursday, but I think he can probably remember which way Thruxton goes.

"We're coming at this weekend from the point of view that we haven't done much running."

Giovanardi, 43, has raced for Triple 8 since 2006 and won 22 races in that time, although this will be the first time his entry has not carried Vauxhall works status.

The deal is currently for Thruxton only, although Harrison hopes to extend it to include further rounds.

"It's a work in progress," he added.

Top Bo**ocks

yes yes yes!!!! good news lets hope it could lead to rest of season.

Fab news for Giovanardi

It's official: Fabrizio Giovanardi is back in the BTCC. The 43-year-old touring car legend will contest this year's Dunlop-backed series with the Triple Eight team and Vauxhall Vectra that took the Italian to back-to-back BTCC crowns in 2007 and 2008.

Giovanardi hadn't been expected to return to the UK's racetracks following Vauxhall's decision not to field a factory team in this year's series. Triple Eight, though, anounced earlier this week that reigning Renault Clio champion Phil Glew would be racing one of its Vectras in the 2010 BTCC and today, as the teams arrived at Thruxton, Giovanardi's name was revealed on its other mean-looking black car.

Widely hailed as one of the world's greatest touring car drivers, Giovanardi's presence adds further spice to this year's star-studded line-up which includes an intriguing number of potential winners. To date the former Italian, Spanish and European tin top champion has won 22 races since arriving in the UK at the start of the 2006 season. As well as capturing the crown in 2007 and 2008, Fabrizio was a major contender last season, finally finishing a close third behind rivals Colin Turkington and Jason Plato.

Log back into BTCC.net for Fabrizio's reaction to his surprise BTCC return.

HiQ voting now open
    HiQ has relaunched its hugely popular round-by-round Champagne Moment competition for BTCC fans.

Voting is now open at www.hiqonline.co.uk for fans to vote for their star performer from Thruxton’s opening round of the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

One member of the public voting for whoever emerges as the winning driver will then be invited with a guest to the BTCC’s next round, at Rockingham in Northants on Sunday 25 April with HiQ.

There, that member of the public will present Thruxton’s most popular driver with his prize – a bottle of champagne as well as receiving some bubbly of their own.

One thing is sure – there is no obvious favourite from Thruxton as there were a number of scintillating performances including:
    • Fabrizio Giovanardi – two wins despite only securing a deal just days before
    • Matt Neal – great drive from 12th to second in race two
    • Steven Kane – took his first BTCC race win
    • Paul O’Neill – three top-six finishes including a podium plus fourth in the points
    • Robert Collard – local hero led race three and set the fastest lap before retiring
    • Gordon Shedden – pole position and fastest lap of all in the three races

Fans are urged to get their votes in now. All rules plus terms and conditions can be found on the hiqonline.co.uk website.

For those who need a final think before voting, highlights of all three BTCC races can be viewed again on ITV’s website www.itv.com/touringcars or by tuning in to ITV1 tonight (2.05am-3.20am) or again this coming Saturday (10 April) from 09.25am-11.00am.