Thread: BTCC 2011 - SILVERSTONE

BTCC 2011 - SILVERSTONE

QUALIFYING

Even with maximum ballast on his car, Matt Neal achieved pole position during this afternoon’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying session ahead of tomorrow’s three title-deciding races at Silverstone.

Neal, who leads the championship going into this weekend, decimated the previous qualifying lap record to set pole in a time of 59.131s – just shy of the average 100mph mark – in his Honda Racing Team Civic that is carrying 45kgs of extra weight.

And he needed to as the fastest 11 of the 29 runners were all under the previous record. It looked as if Mat Jackson, his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus laden with 18kgs of ballast, would take the pole with a time of 59.166s until Neal found an extra burst of speed. Jackson was then denied any chance when Tony Hughes's Speedworks Toyota crashed at Copse Corner and instantly turned that section of track into a yellow flag ‘caution zone’.

Jackson thus had to settle for second, missing out on pole by just 0.035s. Neal’s team-mate Gordon Shedden and a poorly James Nash, battling the effects of flu in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra, were third and fourth fastest. Shedden’s Civic and Nash’s Vectra are carrying 27kgs and 18kgs of ballast respectively. Currently lying third and fifth in the standings, both can also win the title tomorrow with Nash eager to stay ahead of Jackson in the battle for Independents Trophy honours as well.

The other driver who can be crowned Champion in tomorrow’s finale is Jason Plato who qualified seventh in Silverline Chevrolet Cruze, ballasted with 27kgs. Just ahead of him, fifth and sixth fastest, were his team-mate Alex MacDowall and Tom Chilton in his Team Aon Ford Focus.

Chilton's team-mates Andy Neate and Tom Onslow-Cole were eighth and ninth behind Plato while Frank Wrathall’s Dynojet Toyota Avensis completed the top ten, the fastest of the newer Next Generation Touring Car specification machines.

Former double Champion James Thompson, drafted into the Airwaves team this weekend, was 15th fastest and the last of the drivers to get within a second of the pole time.

Meanwhile the Geoff Steel Racing team's new turbocharged BMW 320si was 22nd fastest in the hands of Tony Gilham.

1 2 Matt Neal Honda Civic 59.131s 19 -- 99.78
    2 7 I Mat Jackson Ford Focus ST 59.166s 20 +0.035s 99.72
    3 52 Gordon Shedden Honda Civic 59.265s 22 +0.134s 99.55
    4 14 I James Nash Vauxhall Vectra 59.306s 20 +0.177s 99.48
    5 20 Alex MacDowall Chevrolet Cruze 59.362s 17 +0.231s 99.39
    6 5 I Tom Chilton Global Ford Focus 59.432s 21 +0.301s 99.27
    7 1 Jason Plato Chevrolet Cruze 59.507s 18 +0.376s 99.15
    8 44 I Andy Neate Global Ford Focus 59.533s 22 +0.402s 99.11
    9 4 I Tom Onslow-Cole Ford Focus 59.596s 22 +0.465s 99.00
    10 11 I Frank Wrathall Toyota Avensis 59.605s 22 +0.474s 98.99
    11 22 I Tom Boardman SEAT Leon 59.635s 11 +0.504s 98.94
    12 77 I Andrew Jordan Vauxhall Vectra 59.817s 15 +0.686s 98.64
    13 17 I David Newsham SEAT Leon 59.835s 18 +0.704s 98.61
    14 29 I Paul O'Neill Chevrolet Cruze 59.873s 14 +0.742s 98.54
    15 6 I James Thompson Ford Focus ST 59.896s 22 +0.855s 98.36
    16 18 I Nick Foster BMW 320si E90 1m00.188s 24 +1.057s 98.03
    17 8 I Robert Collard BMW 320si E90 1m00.201s 23 +1.070s 98.01
    18 66 I Liam Griffin Ford Focus ST 1m00.216s 21 +1.085s 97.98
    19 48 I Oliver Jackson Vauxhall Vectra 1m00.223s 20 +1.092s 97.97
    20 13 I Rob Austin Audi A4 1m00.344s 20 +1.213s 97.77
    21 42 I Daniel Welch Proton Gen-2 1m00.404s 18 +1.273s 97.68
    22 34 I Tony Gilham BMW 320i E46 1m00.473s 17 +1.342s 97.57
    23 28 I John George Chevrolet Cruze 1m00.757s 16 +1.626s 97.11
    24 99 I Martin Byford VW Golf MK5 1m00.852s 20 +1.721s 96.96
    25 31 I Chris Swanwick Audi A4 1m01.028s 16 +1.897s 96.68
    26 43 I Lea Wood Honda Integra 1m01.107s 22 +1.976s 96.55
    27 50 I Tony Hughes Toyota Avensis 1m01.206s 20 +2.075s 96.40
    28 78 I Chris James Chevrolet Lacetti 1m01.620s 19 +2.489s 95.75
    29 55 I Jeff Smith Vauxhall Vectra 1m03.656s 9 +4.525s 92.69
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Looking forward a full day of racing tomorrow

I hear ya Sian, Matt Neal on pole that good start and Flash 3rd. Hope for some good hard racing tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rob; 15th October 2011 at 17:31.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Boo hiss nasty Matt (i'll rip your face off) Neal

Let's hope that Flash can gnash and bash the brash trash or maybe Nash can crash and bash him in a rash dash, and lash and smash him into at least 3rd in the championship. For that i'd pay cash!

Tomorrow could either be a good day or a boring day for racing I think. Hope it's fun

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Neal bags crucial pole

Even with maximum ballast on his car, Matt Neal achieved pole position during this afternoon’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying session ahead of tomorrow’s three title-deciding races at Silverstone.

Neal, who leads the championship going into this weekend, decimated the previous qualifying lap record to set pole in a time of 59.131s – just shy of the average 100mph mark – in his Honda Racing Team Civic that is carrying 45kgs of extra weight.

And he needed to as the fastest 11 of the 29 runners were all under the previous record. It looked as if Mat Jackson, his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus laden with 18kgs of ballast, would take the pole with a time of 59.166s until Neal found an extra burst of speed. Jackson was then denied any chance when Tony Hughes's Speedworks Toyota crashed at Copse Corner and instantly turned that section of track into a yellow flag ‘caution zone’.

Jackson thus had to settle for second, missing out on pole by just 0.035s. Neal’s team-mate Gordon Shedden and a poorly James Nash, battling the effects of flu in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra, were third and fourth fastest. Shedden’s Civic and Nash’s Vectra are carrying 27kgs and 18kgs of ballast respectively. Currently lying third and fifth in the standings, both can also win the title tomorrow with Nash eager to stay ahead of Jackson in the battle for Independents Trophy honours as well.

The other driver who can be crowned Champion in tomorrow’s finale is Jason Plato who qualified seventh in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze, ballasted with 27kgs. Just ahead of him, fifth and sixth fastest, were his team-mate Alex MacDowall and Tom Chilton in his Team Aon Ford Focus.

Neal, chasing the third BTCC crown of his career, commented: “With the maximum ballast I thought it might be a struggle even to get into the top eight in qualifying but this is sweet. It’s the first step but a lovely step. I actually can’t believe it…”

Jackson, fourth in the standings, said: “I’ve got 36 points to make up on Matt – actually make that 37 because he’s got the point for pole – with a maximum of only 51 available tomorrow so I have nothing to lose. It’s annoying to miss out on pole by such a tiny margin but I mean to win races tomorrow and will put my car where I need to in order to win.”

Shedden, second equal with Plato in the table six points behind Neal, added: “That was a great lap from Matt with maximum ballast in his car but there’s still an awful lot of racing to be done tomorrow. I’m up at the sharp end which is the most important thing so let’s just see what happens…”

Nash is prioritising beating Jackson to the Independents Trophy over catching Neal for the outright title. He leads that table by 17 points with a possible 45 on offer tomorrow and said: “I’m not feeling the best but my team has done a great job in helping me get this high in qualifying. It’s massively important because Jackson is also right up there and he’s the driver I’ve got to beat tomorrow. Hopefully the adrenaline will keep me going…”

Meanwhile Plato senses he has a struggle on his hands if he’s to defend his 2010 crown – like Neal he is seeking to become the first driver since Andy Rouse in the mid-Eighties to become a triple BTCC Champion. Plato said: “It’s a big ask even though I’m right in there with the Hondas on points. This is a circuit where raw power tells and the others all have turbo engines making it very difficult to get near them down the straights but I’ll never give up. With so much at stake and all five of us towards the front anything could happen.”

Tomorrow’s action and the crowning of the new 2011 BTCC Champion will be broadcast live in ITV Sport’s bumper coverage of the event from 11.00am-6.30pm on its ITV4 and ITV4 HD channels as well as the www.itv.com website.

Elsewhere Chilton's team-mate Andy Neate, Frank Wrathall’ in his Dynojet Toyota Avensis – the fastest of the newer Next Generation Touring Car specification machines – and, on his 28th birthday, Tom Boardman in his Special Tuning Racing SEAT Leon completed the top ten.

Aon's Tom Onslow-Cole and former double Champion James Thompson, drafted into the Airwaves team this weekend, had originally qualified ninth and 15th fastest but later officials disallowed their best time – judging that each had been set while yellow flags were being waved at Copse. Onslow-Cole has therefore dropped to 11th while Thompson's 15th position remained unaffected.

Meanwhile the Geoff Steel Racing team's new turbocharged BMW 320si was 22nd fastest in the hands of Tony Gilham.

http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2716

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I hear ya Sian, Matt Neal on pole that good start and Flash 3rd. Hope for some good hard racing tomorrow.
    Yeah, I hope we get some brill racing with lots of drama

It looks like an impossible task for Plato to take the championship.

Please not Matt Neal!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    It looks like an impossible task for Plato to take the championship.

Please not Matt Neal!!
    COME ON FLASH! - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

After that first race, now with Plato near enough out of the running. Well, still anything can happen to the Honda drivers, punctures etc. Hope Flash can get a fair crack at the title run in last 2 races.

Go Flash Go!!

RACE 1 - RESULTS

Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden finished in first and second places for the Honda Racing Team in the first of today’s three Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship races at the Silverstone circuit in Northamptonshire.

Neal led the race all the way from pole position in his Civic while Shedden inherited second in the closing stages when Mat Jackson, who’d stayed in between them and challenged for victory, suffered a punctured tyre on his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus. Jackson’s consolation was the race’s fastest lap (a new record).

A puncture on his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze also resulted in Jason Plato dropping out of the running.

It means that Neal and Shedden are realistically now the only two drivers who can be crowned Champion later today. Heading into the day’s second race, Neal leads Shedden by ten points with a possible 34 still available.

Plato – 22 points adrift in third – can mathematically still win it but will have to start race two from towards the rear of the grid. Jackson, meanwhile, has dropped to fifth in the standings, a point behind James Nash who finished the race third in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra.

As a result, Nash can now not be caught by Jackson in the Independents Trophy – he is 32 points ahead of his Airwaves rival with a maximum of only 30 available from the day’s final two races of the season. Neither, though, can now win the outright championship. Jackson will start race two from 20th on the grid and many expect a determined drive through the order from the Warwickshire racer.

Worcestershire’s Neal, Champion in 2005 and 2006, said: “Jackson was so fast in that Ford and I thought at some point I’d have to concede – I was also getting a bit of a grumble from my left front tyre which was a concern. My car had great traction out of Becketts which saved me because Jackson was so fast in the stadium section. When he had his problem I could back off and while the win has given me a bit more of a lead it’s not over by a long way yet…”

Scotsman Shedden added: “I just bided my time behind Jackson in case anything happened between him and Matt – it did for Jackson and so second was mine. Who knows how it’s going to pan out between Matt and I and, while he can mathematically still do it, we cannot rule out Jason.”

For Nash, third place and, provisionally, the Independents title came as a huge relief. He commented: “We really deserve this as a team and I’m just glad to get to the end as I’ve been feeling quite unwell these last few days. Now we can go out and enjoy these final two races.”

Crossing the line almost nose-to-tail to finish the race in fourth, fifth and sixth positions were Tom Onslow-Cole (Team Aon Ford Focus), Plato’s team-mate Alex MacDowall and Dave Newsham (Special Tuning SEAT Leon). Andrew Jordan was seventh after recovering from a half-spin in his Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra at Brooklands corner following contact with Newsham’s car.

Robert Collard (WSR BMW) drove from 17th on the grid to nip past both the squabbling Andy Neate (Aon Focus) and Frank Wrathall (Dynojet Toyota Avensis) and take eighth place on the dash to the chequered flag.

Tom Chilton took 12th after serving a drive-through pit lane penalty for repeatedly exceeding the track limits as other drivers were also shown black and white warning flags for committing the same crime.

The opening stages of the race required a safety car period to allow the trackside marshals to recover the damaged Audi A4 of Rob Austin and Geoff Steel Racing BMW of Tony Gilham – both had come to a rest at the side of the circuit after a collision away from the startline. Newsham’s team-mate Tom Boardman, with damage to a rear wheel, Martin Byford (AmD Milltek Racing.com VW Golf) and returning former double champion James Thompson (Airwaves Focus) all retired in the pit lane. John Thorne, making his and his Thorney Motorsport team’s debut with its newly-built NGTC-spec Vauxhall Insignia, also stopped in the pit lane at the end of the grid formation lap.

Pos Driver Car Time
    1. Matt Neal Honda 26m36.253s
    2. Gordon Shedden Honda + 0.206
    3. James Nash Vauxhall + 3.818
    4. Tom Onslow-Cole Ford + 7.078
    5. Alex MacDowall Chevrolet + 10.282
    6. Dave Newsham SEAT + 11.335
    7. Andrew Jordan Vauxhall + 13.525
    8. Rob Collard BMW + 16.333
    9. Andy Neate Ford + 16.581
    10. Frank Wrathall Toyota + 16.601
    11. Daniel Welch Proton + 21.391
    12. Tom Chilton Ford + 23.151
    13. Nick Foster BMW + 24.045
    14. John George Chevrolet + 33.407
    15. Liam Griffin Ford + 33.564
    16. Ollie Jackson Vauxhall + 33.772
    17. Jeff Smith Vauxhall + 50.020
    18. Lea Wood Honda + 51.063
    19. Tony Hughes Toyota + 53.943
    20. Mat Jackson Ford + 54.500
    21. Chris James Chevrolet + 1 Lap
    22. Chris Swanwick Audi + 2 Laps

Retirements:

Driver Car Laps
    Tom Boardman SEAT 20
    Martin Byford Volkswagen 20
    Jason Plato Chevrolet 19
    Paul O'Neill Chevrolet 16
    James Thompson Ford 2
    Rob Austin Audi 0
    Tony Gilham BMW 0
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

come on Flash!!!!

Going to be very close

RESULTS - RACE 2

In a reverse of earlier, Gordon Shedden led home Matt Neal in Silverstone’s second Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race.

Shedden, starting from second on the grid, grabbed the lead at the start and was never headed. Honda Racing team-mate Neal, starting from pole position, slipped behind Tom Onslow-Cole’s Team Aon Ford Focus at the first bend but quickly found a way back into second.

However, he was unable to pressure Scotsman Shedden into a mistake and had to settle for second with Onslow-Cole a watching third.

It means Neal will take a six-point championship lead over Shedden into the day’s final race of the season. Only these two can now become the 2011 Champion and Shedden will begin that race from ninth on the grid with Neal one place ahead of him in eighth.

Fife racer Shedden, who has not won the BTCC before, said: “My car felt mint in that one but I had to drive a very crisp clean line as Matt was always there. This is it now then, down to the last race. I’ll give absolutely everything I’ve got but a lot of it will depend on the start…”

Neal, chasing the third title of his career, added: “It’s almost too close to call, isn’t it? Of course I want to win but if it’s Gordon’s turn I’ll be delighted for him. We’ve worked very closely together for the past five years or so and he’s become like a brother to me…”

Meanwhile Dave Newsham finished the race in a best-ever fourth in his Special Tuning Racing SEAT Leon. Next up were Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Racing Vauxhall Vectra) and Newsham’s team-mate Tom Boardman as the Special Tuning squad enjoyed its most competitive showing of the season so far since evolving into a two-car operation just prior to mid-season.

From 20th on the grid, Jason Plato produced a terrific comeback drive to finish right behind this trio in seventh in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze but it was still not enough to save his title hopes – he can now no longer retain the crown he lifted in 2010 but is assured of third. Elsewhere there was a first-ever outright point for Daniel Welch in his Welch Motorsport team’s NGTC-spec Proton Gen-2.

Starting this afternoon’s season finale tied for fourth in the standings will be James Nash and Mat Jackson. Nash, who provisionally clinched the Independents Trophy earlier in the day, finished the race well out of the points after his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra was on the receiving end of several skirmishes; Jackson pitted early on with his second puncture of the day but, just as in race one, rejoined several laps down to at least set the race’s fastest lap in his Airwaves Racing Ford Focus and with it score a vital bonus point.

Nash's 888/Collins outfit has also now provisionally secured the Independent Teams Trophy ahead of Airwaves.

The race was a disaster for several notable names. Robert Collard needed to pit for attention to his WSR BMW and finished a lap behind in 23rd while team-mate Nick Foster was eliminated from the race when his spinning car was swiped by James Thompson’s Airwaves Focus that also then stopped – debris from Foster’s car on the track at Woodcote corner required shifting by the trackside marshals and so necessitated a brief safety car period. Frank Wrathall was two laps behind after a pit stop to fix a damaged door on his Dynojet Toyota Avensis and Paul O’Neill stopped his GoMobileUK.com with tech-speed Chevrolet in the pit lane after just three laps – his second retirement of the day.

P/ No/ CL/ Driver/ Car/ Time/ Laps/ Gap/ M.P.H./
    1 2 Matt Neal Honda Civic 59.131s 19 -- 99.78
    2 7 I Mat Jackson Ford Focus ST 59.166s 20 +0.035s 99.72
    3 52 Gordon Shedden Honda Civic 59.265s 22 +0.134s 99.55
    4 14 I James Nash Vauxhall Vectra 59.306s 20 +0.177s 99.48
    5 20 Alex MacDowall Chevrolet Cruze 59.362s 17 +0.231s 99.39
    6 5 I Tom Chilton Global Ford Focus 59.432s 21 +0.301s 99.27
    7 1 Jason Plato Chevrolet Cruze 59.507s 18 +0.376s 99.15
    8 44 I Andy Neate Global Ford Focus 59.533s 22 +0.402s 99.11
    9 4 I Frank Wrathall Toyota Avensis 59.605s 22 +0.474s 98.99
    10 11 I Tom Boardman SEAT Leon 59.635s 11 +0.504s 98.94
    11 22 I Tom Onslow-Cole Ford Focus 59.657s 22 +0.526s 98.90
    12 77 I Andrew Jordan Vauxhall Vectra 59.817s 15 +0.686s 98.64
    13 17 I David Newsham SEAT Leon 59.835s 18 +0.704s 98.61
    14 29 I Paul O'Neill Chevrolet Cruze 59.873s 14 +0.742s 98.54
    15 6 I James Thompson Ford Focus ST 1m00.128s 22 +0.997s 98.13
    16 18 I Nick Foster BMW 320si E90 1m00.188s 24 +1.057s 98.03
    17 8 I Robert Collard BMW 320si E90 1m00.201s 23 +1.070s 98.01
    18 66 I Liam Griffin Ford Focus ST 1m00.216s 21 +1.085s 97.98
    19 48 I Oliver Jackson Vauxhall Vectra 1m00.223s 20 +1.092s 97.97
    20 13 I Rob Austin Audi A4 1m00.344s 20 +1.213s 97.77
    21 42 I Daniel Welch Proton Gen-2 1m00.404s 18 +1.273s 97.68
    22 34 I Tony Gilham BMW 320i E46 1m00.473s 17 +1.342s 97.57
    23 28 I John George Chevrolet Cruze 1m00.757s 16 +1.626s 97.11
    24 99 I Martin Byford VW Golf MK5 1m00.852s 20 +1.721s 96.96
    25 31 I Chris Swanwick Audi A4 1m01.028s 16 +1.897s 96.68
    26 43 I Lea Wood Honda Integra 1m01.107s 22 +1.976s 96.55
    27 50 I Tony Hughes Toyota Avensis 1m01.206s 20 +2.075s 96.40
    28 78 I Chris James Chevrolet Lacetti 1m01.620s 19 +2.489s 95.75
    29 55 I Jeff Smith Vauxhall Vectra 1m03.656s 9 +4.525s 92.69
    Last edited by Julie B; 16th October 2011 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie B View Post
    Going to be very close
    yeah your right. It going to be right down to the wire in the last race

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    yeah your right. It going to be right down to the wire in the last race
    Not much in it at all and starting 8th and 9th for the next race there could be some drama.

go Flash!

I reckon Neal has this to be honest, it will take something to happen to him in the last race. Anything is possible when he catches Plato mind you!

In the Formula Renault race they are taking about the car in P4 dropping out of the race to take second in the championship, how would that be? Do they take the X best results so if he DNF'd he could drop this result?

RACE 3 - RESULTS

Matt Neal is the 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Champion.

Neal finished the final race of the season at Silverstone in eighth – two places ahead of the only driver who could have beaten him to the title, his Honda Racing team-mate Gordon Shedden.

It means Neal his lifted the BTCC crown - one of the world motor sport's most coveted pieces of silverware - for the third time in his career.

Neal said: "It's going to take some sinking in. It means everything not just for me but the whole team - Honda puts so much into its BTCC campaign and its Civic has been the car to be in all season, no doubt about it."

Winning the race was Tom Chilton in his Team Aon Ford Focus. Second was Jason Plato in his Silverline Chevrolet Cruze and third Tom Boardman in his Special Tuning Racing SEAT Leon.

Plato has finished third in the championship ahead of Airwaves Racing’s Mat Jackson in fourth. Jackson finished the race outside of the points after he needed to make a pit stop for repairs to his Ford Focus’s bonnet. But James Nash, who has tied on points with Jackson, was also outside of the top ten after he had to serve a drive-through penalty in the pit lane for exceeding the track limits in his 888 Racing with Collins Contractors Vauxhall Vectra.

Jackson is awarded fourth because he has ended the season with more race wins than Nash, four to one.

Congrats to the new Champion.

Well done Matt Neal, at the end of the day he was a deserving champion!

Congratulations to Neal but would have loved to see Sheddon win I see Turkers was testing a BTCC car this week...maybe he's coming back

Congrats Matt for the BTCC crown well done to the whole Honda team, they had a great year. And Flash and amazing year, well done. Came sooooooo close.

Congrats to Matt and Honda Bring on next year!