Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Autosport reported that Alain Prost could give the Renault's 2014 engine an ontrack test.
    "Driving a modern Formula 1 car is very helpful," said the 57-year-old. "And maybe I have another chance to do it with the new engine in the next two months. That would be another good experience.

"I am already thinking about the new technology coming in Formula 1 with the new engines. I am going to work very hard with Renault on that; it is our new target."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102998

Is that even legal? If they can do it then Ferrari should too.

Ferrari to shut down wind tunnel to verify its accuracy

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says the Italian squad plans to shut down its wind tunnel in order to verify it is working properly.

The Italian squad suffered issues with data correlation during the 2011 season, with its car not delivering the increase in downforce that wind tunnel data suggested some updates should offer.

Di Montezemolo believes the team's performance this year has also been affected by the inconsistency of the wind tunnel data, and says that Ferrari's team boss Stefano Domenicali has made the decision to shut it down during the winter until the problems are fixed.

Last year, the Maranello squad revealed it was using Toyota's wind tunnel in order to develop its car.

"The real trouble is that sometimes the data matches and this creates even more confusion," Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Domenicali has reached a conclusion: to shut down our wind tunnel for a while and do our tests elsewhere, in order to verify and re-calibrate everything. It will take time.

"I don't know whether this will happen in December or January, it's up to him: I have absolute faith in Domenicali."

Montezemolo insisted it is vital for the team to get more out of its car in order to allow Fernando Alonso to defend his current championship advantage.

The Spaniard is currently leading Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel by 29 points with six races left.

"We need to improve the car, it's fundamental," Montezemolo added. "We need to be sure that the things tried in the factory can be confirmed on the track."

So the wind tunnel might be one of the problems why our upgrade might not be working..
    its good that Stefano took that decision and hope they use the Toyota windtunnel to good effect until they fix or build the new one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    As if our cars are the Caterhams??
    Ferrari will be strong this weekend.......
    Your optimism is welcome,but then,we also expected the F2012 to be quick at Singapore. I only hope the car is quick enough to enable Fred to target the first 2 rows in qualifying. Even in Singapore,Ferrari's race pace was respectable,but i just realised that Alonso has never qualified on the front row this season in a dry quali session....

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    LOL negative even before a wheel is turned, bravo.
    Well,we can be certain of the MP4-27 being the car to beat as always. If either of the quali or the race sees rain,then the Macca's car advantage can be nullified to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    Well,we can be certain of the MP4-27 being the car to beat as always. If either of the quali or the race sees rain,then the Macca's car advantage can be nullified to a certain extent.
    You can not say that just yet, as where were Mclaren at Silverstone, in the race they just had no pace, but yet people predicting Lewis t fly up the order and win. Lotus, maybe fast as got the "device" this weekend. RBR maybe fast and we could be fast.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

F1 : Maintenance and calibration scheduled for Scuderia Formula 1 wind tunnel

Ferrari to close wind tunnel for winter fix - Ferrari will close its wind tunnel for a period this forthcoming winter in order to ensure the Maranello Formula One factory facility is working properly.

Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport said the move follows the famous team's concerns that the data produced by the tunnel has not been totally reliable in recent years.

"Stefano Domenicali has decided to close the tunnel for a while in order to do verifications and calibrations," Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is quoted by the Finnish broadcaster MTV3.

The reports said the wind tunnel closure will occur in December or January.

The Spanish sports newspaper Marca said Ferrari will "look elsewhere" for its wind tunnel testing during this time.

The great team has in the recent past used former Formula 1 team Toyota's state of the art facility in Cologne.

The recalibration of the Maranello tunnel follows Ferrari's signing this year of renowned Formula 1 aerodynamicists Ben Agathangelou and Loic Bigois, Marca added.

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option...:f1&Itemid=157
    AKROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You can not say that just yet, as where were Mclaren at Silverstone, in the race they just had no pace, but yet people predicting Lewis t fly up the order and win. Lotus, maybe fast as got the "device" this weekend. RBR maybe fast and we could be fast.
    That was before they introduced their major update. Since Germany they have been on top no matter the track. In general they have phenomenal Q pace but race pace looks bearable.

MC Laren and Red Bull use a Flexible Frontwing !!!!!

Hi guys, i read this on the German Auto-Motor-Sport website.
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...l-5819046.html

Seems that Mc Laren since the Hungary GP uses a kind of Flexible FW. And Red Bull uses this FW since Singapur too !!!

The FIA will check this in the Japan GP.

Flexing wing again, and this time McLaren too.

Hopefully FIA bust their rears

I did think they were flexing again but thought it was just me looking at it to hard wanting to see them flex. FIA should cut this out again. So much for the spirit of the rules, yet again RBR sticking their fingers up at the FIA and rest of the teams. Strip them of their points since Singapore and Hungary.

Also read a rumour that McLaren are running a active ride height system similar to the one Lotus got banned at the start of the season, could be rubbish though.
    Forza Ferrari

Also read a rumour that McLaren are running a active ride height system similar to the one Lotus got banned at the start of the season, could be rubbish though.
    Really? where was that?

Be so funny if Lewis done a Fernando to Mclaren after Mclaren backs Jenson for the title. And drops Mclaren right in it.

Just what we don't need during an intense championship battle. If true I hope the teams are told to get rid of such devices before this weekend.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post

Seems that Mc Laren since the Hungary GP uses a kind of Flexible FW. And Red Bull uses this FW since Singapur too !!!

I remember something similar was discused last year:
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...gal-Front-Wing
    (some pictures in thread have changed)

Looks like our rivals are hell bent on beating Ferrari by any means possible. I say bring it on, it'll only make winning the championship all the more sweeter.

Just a thought to kick around:- Are the FIA victims of their own regulations ?.

The regulations are now so full of Do's and Dont's has it become impossible for the scrutineers to police the regulations properly ?
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Martin Whitmarsh has in a news conference today denied any knowledge of flexi front wing controversy.Whitmarsh: "Have been no specific conversations to my knowledge. Don’t envisage any partic probs for McLaren in that regard in near term.Whitmarsh cont'd: "So I don’t think it’s anything that will harm us. I’m also not aware of anything with Red Bull, incidentally"
    Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1

McLaren downplays potential FIA flexi wing clampdown

McLaren has downplayed suggestions that its bid to win the world championship could be hit by a potential new FIA clampdown on flexi wings.

A report in respected German magazine Auto Motor Und Sport said that the FIA was set to investigate the designs of both the McLaren and Red Bull cars amid suggestions they were cleverly getting the front wings to rotate at high speed.

This would deliver a straight-line speed boost - and could potentially explain why the outfits were so dominant on the streets of Singapore a fortnight ago.

However, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has denied talk that his outfit has had any dialogue with the FIA over the matter, and says there have been no indications any modifications need to be made to its cars.

"There have been no specific conversations to my knowledge," he said, when asked by AUTOSPORT in the pre-race Vodafone phone in media conderence if there had been talks with the FIA.

"That doesn't mean they haven't happened, but I think I would probably know," said Whitmarsh.

"I think the regulations require the wings to be rigid, but of course no wing or aerodynamic surface is infinitely rigid.

"From time to time questions and disputes arise between teams, who feel that other teams are too flexible or whatever. I don't envisage any particular problems for McLaren in that regard, and consequently I don't think that it is anything that will harm us."

Whitmarsh said it was essential that the FIA kept close tabs on front wing developments to ensure there was no repeat of the flexi wing controversies that have dogged the sport in recent years.

"I think the FIA technical department have to remain vigilant and be testing front wings, rear wings, and attachment systems all the time - to make sure that not only do they comply with the testing requirements of the regulations, but that the teams don't find other ingenious or creative ways to circumvent the intentions of the regulations," he said.

"From time to time many teams get spoken to by the FIA and are expected to correct a situation. But we're not in such a situation ourselves and I'm not aware, and I don't believe, that it is going to be an issue that will affect the championship."
    AKROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Smintlemon View Post

If Redbull and Mclaren are flexi wings are proved illegal then this time FIA has to take action against these two teams..especially Redbull...
    And cut down the points they scored in Singapore for Redbull and even Hungary for Mclaren...

We..Ferrari and paying price for following FIA rules....

Rules and Rules and they are meant to be followed by each and every team...why in the hell this Redbull always found in such type of illegal activities in F1...
    AKROCKS

If they pass the test they are legal, we should be pushing such limits as well.
    Forza Ferrari

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...-mclaren-wing/

‘Ferrari complains to FIA about McLaren wing’

Ferrari has complained to Formula 1 governing body the FIA that the McLaren front wing could be flexing beyond the limits of the technical regulations, according to German publication Auto Motor und Sport. The cars of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are expected to be checked at Suzuka this weekend but Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh is confident that no discrepancies will be discovered.

It is believed Ferrari is also unhappy with Red Bull, which was first to be subjected to a flexi-wing debate mid-season in 2010. According to the Italian outfit, the entire front wings of McLaren and Red Bull could be loosening up at high speed.

“I don't envisage any particular problems for McLaren in that regard in the near term and, consequently, I don't think it is anything that will harm us,” Whitmarsh is quoted as saying by ESPN in the latest Vodafone Phone-In. “Also, I'm not aware of anything with Red Bull.

“I think the FIA technical department have to remain vigilant and be testing front wings, rear wings and attachment systems all the time and making sure they comply with the testing requirements of the regulations, but also that the teams don't find other ingenious or creative ways to circumvent the intention. I think from time to time many teams get spoken to by the FIA and are expected to correct a situation.

“We're not in such a situation ourselves and I am not aware, and do not think, it will be an issue that will affect the championship.”

With six races to go including Suzuka this weekend, McLaren sit second in the Constructors’ Championship and 36 points in arrears of Red Bull.

Edit - (Not sure how true this is, there are not any actual quotes from Ferrari in this article. I think GPUpdate seem to be selling a title based on nothing currently )
    Last edited by Sianellen; 3rd October 2012 at 14:10.

It's so frustrating to see the Maccas and RedBozos to get away with all these technical manipulations!!!
    Why can't we do the same and get some championships under the belt?!!!
    At the end of the year, people only see who's champion, not who cheated and who raced fair & square!

Anyone have any on-board laps of Button or Hamilton from Singapore. Curious to see if there is visible "flexing" going on.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

it is not flexi wing like that at last year saga.it is different princip to work for the this case.this part of wing work like the amortizer under pressure from the air

Maybe someone should make a new thread about McLaren's pivoting wing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Maybe someone should make a new thread about McLaren's pivoting wing?
    that would be good as it doesn't really apply to this thread; and call the new one: :Mclaren and Red Bull cheat with "flex/pivotal" wing...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

If they pass the test they are legal, we should be pushing such limits as well.
    If only we could calibrate the wind tunnel....

If that gap is the way McLaren flexes their wing, then perhaps the FIA could change the rule to require that area to be one continuous surface and no gaps are allow.

And the FIA should be strict about too. If the rules say no gap, then no gap it is. Photographic evidence that can prove a gap exist should be sufficient for the FIA to declare a car has breach the rules which results in points being strip off or race ban.

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    it is not flexi wing like that at last year saga.it is different princip to work for the this case.this part of wing work like the amortizer under pressure from the air

Grazie!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus