Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prish_94 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what updates Ferrari have brought to the rear of the car, maybe some details of the rear wing, Thanks.
    How can we tell you in here ? we would have to shoot you

It would not be a surprise if other teams were watching this thread searching for clues
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

The 'new' rear wing run by Massa looks to be a variant of the wing tested but not raced in Singapore. Also, Massa was still using the older diffuser design, not the one raced by Alonso in India. Alonso did have the new diffuser again this morning.

'New' rear wing:

Massa still with 'old' diffuser:

This is what they tested in India:

It looks basically the same except the louvres at the bottom of the end plates.

EDIT: And it has 2 strakes (not parallel), not 1 in the center.
    Abu Dhabi:
    Last edited by wacc; 2nd November 2012 at 13:24.

Could someone post a pic of the new FW on here as well? Would be very interesting to have a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    Could someone post a pic of the new FW on here as well? Would be very interesting to have a closer look.
    Good shots of the parts that count one page back.

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    Good shots of the parts that count one page back.
    aaah yes!
    Thanks for telling me buddy.

Massa accepts Ferrari focus on Alonso

Nov.2 (GMM) Felipe Massa has revealed he accepts and can understand why he has not always been driving a car in the same specification as teammate Fernando Alonso at recent races.

It emerged in India last weekend that Brazilian Massa’s Ferrari was a specification behind championship contender Alonso’s, and it is believed the same will be true in Abu Dhabi as well.

“We have more (new parts) for me here and more for Alonso too,” Massa is quoted by Brazil’s Totalrace.

“Let’s see if it works, that’s the important thing, but we may not have the same car again,” he admitted.

Massa, however, insisted he is not complaining about Ferrari focusing its development efforts on Alonso’s title push.

“Throughout the year I don’t remember it happening,” he said.

“It’s a rush inside the team to try new parts and have at least one (version) ready, which you can understand,” said Massa.

“Looking at how the championship is, it’s understandable.

“But of course it’s not sensational to know that a piece is working on the other car and you don’t have it,” acknowledged Massa.

212446.jpg

Now where exactly did I drop my brain?!

Looks like initial feedback on the new parts is promising. From Adam Cooper's twitter feed:

Pat Fry says that the new parts Ferrari tried today are "looking promising". No decision yet on what spec to pursue on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    Looks like initial feedback on the new parts is promising. From Adam Cooper's twitter feed:

Pat Fry says that the new parts Ferrari tried today are "looking promising". No decision yet on what spec to pursue on Saturday
    Really?! Look promising enough to not try them again probably!

It seems Ferrari tried 2 different 6 element front wing.
    6 element FW:

Another 6 element FW:

Ferrari have certainly live up to their promise of constantly bringing updates for the remainder of the season. Front wing, rear wing, barge boards, just about all the major area you can change without changing the entire car.

Only problem is, IMO and I may be wrong, we don't seem to really understand these parts well enough. Every Friday, we spend time trying different combination, old new, new old, new new, etc. and more often than not, major parts don't end up on the car on Saturday and Sunday. Is it an improvement with old parts, or is it an improvement with new parts, or is it not an improvement at all? We seems to need track time just to give us a hint in which direction its going, rather than just as a final confirmation.

But it seems like we don't have other choices this season. Whatever correlation problem we have, we have to live with it. I really hope next year this is something that will change.
    Last edited by Hornet; 2nd November 2012 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    It seems Ferrari tried 2 different 6 element front wing.
    6 element FW:
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12ger538.jpg

Another 6 element FW:
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutto.../d12abu791.jpg
    See previous page.

It does not change the rule of discharges for 2013
    The F1 Technical Working Group does not place new restrictions to avoid the cost of a new search
    November 2, 2012 08:08

Do not change the rules on releases next year. The team decided to leave the technicians the freedom to work on this issue that has been encoded by the FIA this year with restrictions on the blowing of hot gases, as in 2014, when there will be the adoption of V6 turbo engines will to a solution characterized by a single central discharge. AGREEMENT IN TWG In the Technical Working Group, therefore, after having discussed the issue of discharges, have decided to take no further restrictions for the championship in 2013, if only for the fact that a change rules that should be decided now would certainly influences and costly. All teams taking part in Formula 1 have devoted energy and resources to develop the theme of the exhaust in the course of the 2012 season, and are planning some simple changes for the near future, while a change of address technical area that is so crucial in the performance the cars would certainly have contributed to a significant increase in research costs. ADVANTAGE IS THE EFFECT COANDA stability regulation should lead teams to develop solutions more efficient exhaust benefiting the Coanda effect, leading everyone to take advantage of this solution , unless the likes of Adrian Newey does not invent new interpretation of the rule that forces then all the others to chase again ...

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/229...hi-per-il-2013
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

By single discharge, I'm asumming the exhaust will now be only exiting from one exit at the center. IMO that's the best way of ensuring no diffuser blowing ever again.

Still, it would be nice to not have Red Bull being dominant next year. I can't stand another year of Red Bull's dominance like what we're seeing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    By single discharge, I'm asumming the exhaust will now be only exiting from one exit at the center. IMO that's the best way of ensuring no diffuser blowing ever again.

Still, it would be nice to not have Red Bull being dominant next year. I can't stand another year of Red Bull's dominance like what we're seeing now.
    i'm with you mate, but as long as they (red fools) have Newey they onboard, they will always be there or thereabouts...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

These front wings are are a joke and becoming out of control. Teams spend loads of cash only to add a little thing here, twist a bit there etc.

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post
    These front wings are are a joke and becoming out of control. Teams spend loads of cash only to add a little thing here, twist a bit there etc.
    Agreed . The front wing's span should should be no longer than the distance between the inside of the 2 front wheels, and should also be restricted to a maximum of 4 additional elements, eg end plates and 2 other winglets. This size of wing would not suffer the same handicap when following another car or at least the effect would be less.

But please drop the 1600 cc engine turbo blown or otherwise
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

The front wings were changed for 2009 to help with the overtaking and getting closer to the car in front while in the dirty air. Plus it is the first thing the air hits so it is really important, and all the elements and etc helps directs the air to the floor, sidepods or around the wheels.

But, 2014, they will be getting smaller.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The front wings were changed for 2009 to help with the overtaking and getting closer to the car in front while in the dirty air. Plus it is the first thing the air hits so it is really important, and all the elements and etc helps directs the air to the floor, sidepods or around the wheels.

But, 2014, they will be getting smaller.
    Smaller is good. It's too big and ugly now and it's also a magnet for collission.

Bit ironic red bull is'nt it?!?!

mula 1's teams have been told by the FIA that they cannot run trick brake systems that react to temperature to improve cooling during races, following a complaint by Red Bull.

AUTOSPORT can reveal that Red Bull wrote to motor racing's governing body ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to seek clarification on the use of thermal energy devices within the air duct of the brake system.

The team contended that attempts to use either a bimetallic strip - which would change shape to open and close off cooling ducts depending on the temperature of the brake friction material - or a thermal actuator was a breach of the regulations.

In the letter, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, Red Bull argued: "Use of such technology via either of the examples offered or similar devices will change the brake system, thus including the air duct, and are not reacting to the driver's direct physical input and are not under his complete control at all times as required by Article 11.1.4 [of the F1 technical regulations].

"RBR therefore contend such systems are in breach of the 2012 F1 Technical Regulations and seek your opinion on the matter."

Article 11.1.4 of the regulations states: "Any change to, or modulation of, the brake system whilst the car is moving must be made by the driver's direct physical input, may not be pre-set and must be under his complete control at all times."

The FIA duly responded to Red Bull on Friday confirming that it agreed with its view that the use of such systems would be a breach of the rules.

In a letter that was forwarded to all teams and seen by AUTOSPORT, the FIA's Charlie Whiting said: "In our view movement of a bimetallic strip and thermal actuator within the air duct as you describe would not be made by the driver's direct physical input, hence we believe such a system would contravene Article 11.1.4 of the F1 Technical Regulations."

AUTOSPORT understands that Red Bull's complaint was made after suspicions that at least one of its rival teams was using the concept on its car.

However, high levels sources at Red Bull's main rivals insist that they have never used the concept and agree that doing so would be a breach of the rules.

Red Bull's dialogue with the FIA shows how focused the outfit is on ensuring that it maintains every possible competitive advantage as it makes a push to win its third consecutive championship double.

The new rear wing is very similar to McLaren's. Ferrari ran it without a monkey seat. The flap is smaller on the McLaren and Ferrari than on the RB. It seems McLaren is wider in the area of exhaust channels. Look at how low the RB front wing is. The lower the FW the better the lap time is.

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    212446.jpg

Not funny at all.
    Even if you don't like him, show some respect to our team principal.

Do you think he's happy with the current situation? Of course not! He wants Ferrari to succeed just as much as any of us. So cut him some slack!

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    212446.jpg

Seriously? Didn't think we had children here...

One thing that always strikes me when you look at comparison pictures is how "simple" the Ferrari always look. RB and McL has much more bits and pieces.
    The F2008 had lots of bits and pieces as well. Then the regulation change, and the Ferrari went much more simple. But somehow I just feel the others are pushing the limits much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    One thing that always strikes me when you look at comparison pictures is how "simple" the Ferrari always look. RB and McL has much more bits and pieces.
    The F2008 had lots of bits and pieces as well. Then the regulation change, and the Ferrari went much more simple. But somehow I just feel the others are pushing the limits much more.
    I think what Ferrari are trying to do is just build an all round well balanced car. Like the F10 i think they are trying to design a car that works well on all circuits rather than being slightly track specific like the Mclarens and RBs. I know that all teams will be trying to do this but i think that Ferrari are trying to take a different design philosophy after the calamity of last year. It does seem to be working to an extent but i feel as though a slightly more aggressive approach throughout the course of the season maybe wouldve put us a bit closer. That said i am hearing alot that we are still having correlation issues with the wind tunnel, hence why we are re-calibrating it over the winter. Am i right in thinking that we will be using the old Toyota wind tunnel whilst ours is out of action?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Totally agree. It's been 12 years..it's time to be the hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    The new rear wing is very similar to McLaren's. Ferrari ran it without a monkey seat. The flap is smaller on the McLaren and Ferrari than on the RB. It seems McLaren is wider in the area of exhaust channels. Look at how low the RB front wing is. The lower the FW the better the lap time is.
    The RB car's T-tray is almost touching the floor. The RB cars have been able to use much more rake angle due to their effective blown diffuser. This shows that their solution is still much better than McLaren's coanda effect exhaust (which everyone else use) although they sacrifice straight line speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Curbs View Post
    Ironically,the F2008 also happens to be the last true top car built by ferrari.......but thats another story....

I say start a new Ferrari team around the two drivers and start introducing new people into Formula one a younger team mixed with old team.

We have nothing to loose and would be good also for the future of Ferrari and F1.

My Gutt feeling through all this is that there is too much politics in the Ferrari Family and new people into Maranello just get a number and told where to sit.

When they bring new ideas and solutions to the car it is very difficult for them to get heard.

So then they just get pushed to one side and then the last you here is that they are leaving and joining a new team.

How long will Alonso stay a racing drivers career is not for life so they want to do the best that they can within short periods of their career.

I would never say a bad word about Ferrari but it must be pressure and embarrasing to work for them at the moment.

Throwing everything that they have at the car and just simply can not work they must have someone in the team with an answer/data to tell them this.

Again comes back to the problem of how would you get your ideas on the table!!

Too much politics and not enough getting your head down and working on new and innovative designs.

I hope that also Ferrari do not test their road cars in their wind tunnel!!

I will also like to say look at Rossi and Ducatti shame Italian bike/Italian great rider!!

He is off back to a machine he can ride and win may be soon will be the same for Alonso!!

May be he will head back to Renault/Lotus with his previous team of people he likes around him!!

Tough weekend ahead for Alonso and he had just been lucky to get this far in the WDC.

Unless Red Bull have DNF'S this is the realistic way Alonso can win and I would prefer to see Alonso fight in a Ferrari head to head than rely on badluck!!

Forza!!