Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

thats a turning vane on the bargeboard.

In addition to the front wing wat other upgrades had we this weekend? There were posts of big upgrades for this race like a new floor but wat did we have and are we due an upgrade in Germany..
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Man View Post
    In addition to the front wing wat other upgrades had we this weekend? There were posts of big upgrades for this race like a new floor but wat did we have and are we due an upgrade in Germany..
    Some rumour going round that a lot of upgrades penned for Silverstone will now come in Hockenheim, including a new floor (RedBull floor, or Byrne BS floor).
    We shall see.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

what do people think is happening with mclaren? they had a good lead in melbourne and now they have been overtaken on race pace by ferrari and lotus... i think its down to their car sitting lower than everyone elses, and the airflow is not getting to rear as good as the ferrari and red bull. also i think they are genuinely out of ideas to improve their already developed car from last year. they may have a better looking car but ferrari's choice to scrap the F150th italia and build an all new F2012 is starting to pay dividends! FORZA FERRARI!!!

Quote Originally Posted by giodap View Post
    what do people think is happening with mclaren? they had a good lead in melbourne and now they have been overtaken on race pace by ferrari and lotus... i think its down to their car sitting lower than everyone elses, and the airflow is not getting to rear as good as the ferrari and red bull. also i think they are genuinely out of ideas to improve their already developed car from last year. they may have a better looking car but ferrari's choice to scrap the F150th italia and build an all new F2012 is starting to pay dividends! FORZA FERRARI!!!
    Do we have a big update for Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    Do we have a big update for Germany?
    yeah we should do. i doubt we managed to get much on this weekend with the limited practice. hockenheim practice should be a busy one

I thought Mac would be strong here...was I seeing things or did Speed show a shot
    of a stepped nose in the Mac garage??

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I thought Mac would be strong here...was I seeing things or did Speed show a shot
    Nope, you must be seeing things. Anyway, they would need to increase the height of the chassis and bulkhead before introducing a stepped nose.

I think you are right mate

Take a look : http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...116#post735116

Looks like a stepped nose

Who cares what McLaren are doing, they shouldn’t be discussed on this forum. The personnel who left that team and came to Ferrari or have gone elsewhere realised that the only development McLaren were going to do this season was their cartoons.

Anyway, if Budapest is hot like it usually is then they and RBR could be slightly stronger than us, but as we have already seen this season it depends on the tyres and how each team manage and cope with them.

Quote Originally Posted by number 13 View Post

button after winning melbourne said on his team radio something like "fast and beautiful, these stepped noses have to go?"...... i think now after seeing that pic, he may have to eat his words.

I have found this in Autosport - Mark Hughes Live chat

11:35 Grzegorz Kolodziej asks, Mark, are we able to predict which tracks will suit for certain cars in the upcoming races? For example, will Monza and perhaps Hockenheim suit Mercedes with their double DRS?

11:38 Mark says. That's an interesting question - we have two of the main cars (Red Bull and McLaren) with diametrically opposed strengths/weaknesses. The McLaren is better in fast corners, the Red Bull in slower ones and each are weak in the opposite areas. Then we have a Lotus that's great at looking after its tyres but not at doing a qualifying lap on a cool track (though it may be pretty good on a wet one!). The Ferrari, since its Montreal updates, is an excellent all-rounder. The Mercedes has strengths associated with its double DRS but weaknesses associated with its tyre deg. Monza, you are not actually dumping that much drag, so I think the Merc's system would work better at, say, Spa.

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/492

That's a reflection. It's just their regular front wing.

Lewis Hamilton has told McLaren engineers to go back to the drawing board after the team slid backwards at Silverstone this weekend.

The British grand prix proved that not only Jenson Button is struggling with the MP4-27, as Montreal winner Hamilton started and finished eighth on a layout that was expected to suit the local favourites.

"We are still in the fight, but unless we find a lot of time, it’s going to be hard to stay in it," said Briton Hamilton, now 37 points behind Fernando Alonso’s championship lead.

Button, who struggled even more than Hamilton at Silverstone, said even Williams and Sauber are now racing past McLaren: "It’s not just the Red Bulls and the Ferraris that are quicker than us, a lot of cars are."

"The Sauber is quicker in high-speed corners than us, the Williams is quicker in low-speed corners. We don’t seem to be exceptionally strong anywhere at the moment," he said.

Red Bull’s Christian Horner told Auto Motor und Sport on Sunday that the chrome cars "were not a factor today".

"But at this stage of the season I’m not writing anyone off. Not even Jenson Button."

His Ferrari counterpart Stefano Domenicali agreed: "The championship is still very open.

"I am sure that McLaren will bounce back."

But veteran engineer Joan Villadelprat wrote in his El Pais column that the Woking based team appears to be "in free fall".

The message from Martin Whitmarsh, the team principal, is that McLaren is suffering amid F1’s new Pirelli era.

"I like to understand a problem mathematically," the Briton said, "but in this case it seems that thinking too much doesn’t help at all."

Hamilton, however, is urging the designers and engineers to think hard, even about the very basics of the 2012 package.

Asked if the MP4-27 is fundamentally flawed, he said: "I’m not using those words, I’ll let you use those words.

"You’ve got to look at the cars in detail — just look at them and ours looks different from the others."

He is undoubtedly referring to the fact that - the McLaren-linked straggler Marussia aside - the MP4-27 is the only car on the grid without a ’stepped’ nose.

"That’s a significant difference," Hamilton admitted. "I’m not an aerodynamicist but there’s got to be something there, so that’s what we’re looking at for this car, but also for next year’s car.

"It is too big a change for this season."

Finally they admit that their "Beautiful" car is a total sucker...well atleast until their "major" update gets there..

@PeterDWindsor any idea where Ferrari found this pace?

We'll be talking about that on ‪#theflyinglap‬ this Wed with @ScarbsF1 and Nikolas Tombazis
    http://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor

We might get some answers of upgrades on wednesday, on TFL.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    http://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor

We might get some answers of upgrades on wednesday, on TFL.
    Neat! Thanks for posting this scuderiafan Let's see what our chief desinger has to say about all these stuff

did we run the new FW for the race?
    I cant wait to see what those new end plates can do, apparently ferrari's end plates have always been very simple and pretty much the same throughout the years, except for this new one..

did we run the new FW for the race?
    I cant wait to see what those new end plates can do, apparently ferrari's end plates have always been very simple and pretty much the same throughout the years, except for this new one..

Sky said that Alonso damaged the old wing in FP2, and he was testing the new wing in FP3.

Not sure which is right.

He damaged new wing in FP2...he drove Massa wing in FP3..they abandoned it for quali.But the front wing did give an adv,since they din use it in quali,they could not use it in the race
    Last edited by Fer12; 9th July 2012 at 12:33.

Thanks, thats it....They wouldve tested it me thinks if they couldve had a session without rain.
    From the looks of the race, they need something..but its ok with me if the run 8th n 10th the
    rest of the season, mabey next year too....

Thank you very much everybody.

Very informative thread.

Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    He damaged new wing in FP2...he drove Massa wing in FP3..they abandoned it for quali.But the front wing did give an adv,since they din use it in quali,they could not use it in the race
    I don't think that we have to run the same front wing spec in the race, than that was used in Quali. As long as it conforms to the rules it can be used. I guess they didn't use it because they didn't test it properly.

I think cars are in parc ferme after quali. top ten cars have to remain the same.. if parts damaged have to replace with same type, i believe

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I think cars are in parc ferme after quali. top ten cars have to remain the same.. if parts damaged have to replace with same type, i believe
    Correct.
    Cheers,
    Ray

"Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 racing belongs to Ferrari."-Dan Niel, LA Times

Thanks, thats it....They wouldve tested it me thinks if they couldve had a session without rain.
    From the looks of the race, they need something..but its ok with me if the run 8th n 10th the
    rest of the season, mabey next year too....
    That's a reflection from the ceiling! It's not a stepped nose.

^Sure looks it to me..and if they continue to run as poor as Sunday, we will see one on that car...

That does not look like a reflection! Be ready for a McLaren Stepped Nose at the next race as part of their big update to the race car. It would not be the first time McLaren copied and made a drastic change to their race car! I am only interested in what the Ferrari Engineers have in mind for upgrades anyway!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Is the Ferrari suited to Hockenheim? I remember the last we were here we won, but a lot has changed.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari