Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

We tend to be very focused on development at Ferrari and Red Bull, but Lotus could be the wild card for the second half of the season. The two fastest laps during the race at Silverstone were turned by Kimi and RoGro. If they are able to figure out quali, I think they will bump Macca farther down and could stay ahead of Ferrari in the WCC points race. They may not be a real threat for the WDC and/or WCC, but those championships could be determined by who Lotus take points away from. And don't be surprised if they break through with a win at Spa.

Romain Grosjean will have a five-place penalty on the starting grid at next week's German Formula One Grand Prix due to an unscheduled gearbox change.
    Not really good for Ferrari at the moment.Better for us if he starts before Weber,Lewis and Vettel!

@ Kiwi Nick & Dino

You may well be right re. Alonso’s driving/cornering style.
    I was really addressing the question of the team’s bringing FA in to change to softs when they did. Others have also queried whether it as a good move to bring him in when they did. The hards had still got life in them, James Allen raised this too but mentioning that it’s always easy to be wise after the event.
    From where I was sitting (Luffield) it seemed that MW was indeed catching FA before the change to softs. We were delirious to see Fer. come out ahead of MW and what’s more hold him off.
    The real problem began to occur just a little later and it was obvious Webber was hauling Fer. in
    We knew almost immediately that he’d lost 1st. In fact, he looked be lucky to hold on to 2nd as Vettel was also closing up pretty fast.
    Looked to me like it was a lack of traction ( heating) , not degraded tyres that were the problem. It has to be said that Webber thought he noticed FA’s front left tyre looking pretty scruffy and that Alonso’s car would have been unbalanced and therefore very difficult to manage.
    All in all, perhaps, at the end, we were lucky to get 2nd . 3rd was a definite possibility and maybe worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    We tend to be very focused on development at Ferrari and Red Bull, but Lotus could be the wild card for the second half of the season. The two fastest laps during the race at Silverstone were turned by Kimi and RoGro. If they are able to figure out quali, I think they will bump Macca farther down and could stay ahead of Ferrari in the WCC points race. They may not be a real threat for the WDC and/or WCC, but those championships could be determined by who Lotus take points away from. And don't be surprised if they break through with a win at Spa.
    good point about lotus, they do have a great car this year. but do they have the resources to compete in the development race with ferrari and red bull? will they just be happy hanging on to 3rd place in the constructors (take the money) and use it as base to improve for seasons to come?

Looks like it's not going to be hot and sunny in Hochenheim. Partly cloudy with only 21C on race day.

Why the hell the other drivers are faster only when Fernando is leading the race..
    1. Malaysia => Perez.
    2. Barcelona => Maldonaldo.
    3. Valencia => Romain. what would have been the end result if he would have not been retired.
    4. Silverstone => Webber.

All are faster when they are in 2nd place and behind alonso...
    AKROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    Why the hell the other drivers are faster only when Fernando is leading the race..
    1. Malaysia => Perez.
    3. Valencia => Romain. what would have been the end result if he would have not been retired.

Very annoying, It's been happening since Pirelli!

But actually, I think Ferrari have a pretty good handle on the tyres so, I believe they should be there or thereabouts at every race, and hopefully our competitors have trouble.

It showed inSilverstone where they only had FP3 to get setup and tyres sorted, so teams didn't have much preparation, and still Ferrari were at the top so I don't think tyres are as much a worry for Ferrari as they are for Mercedes or McLarencfor example.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Very annoying, It's been happening since Pirelli!

But actually, I think Ferrari have a pretty good handle on the tyres so, I believe they should be there or thereabouts at every race, and hopefully our competitors have trouble.

It showed inSilverstone where they only had FP3 to get setup and tyres sorted, so teams didn't have much preparation, and still Ferrari were at the top so I don't think tyres are as much a worry for Ferrari as they are for Mercedes or McLarencfor example.
    of course we do, we have Hamashima on board...if a tire GURU don't know tires as well as how to make them work for our application/set up, then i don't know what to say...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    1. Malaysia => Perez.

It is annoying, but 'Nando has done one thing MUCH better than the rest of the drivers (maybe except Webber) this year and that is stay consistent. Consistency and finishing in the points this year is going to be the real benchmark in winning the Championship and so far 'Nando is doing a great job.

So, any updates for this weekend apart from the speculated new front wing? Apparently McLarena and Lotus are bringing major visible upgrades which will see involve a complete redesign of their bodywork and involves tunnles ala Red Bull. I read this from scarbs on Twitter.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    So, any updates for this weekend apart from the speculated new front wing? Apparently McLarena and Lotus are bringing major visible upgrades which will see involve a complete redesign of their bodywork and involves tunnles ala Red Bull. I read this from scarbs on Twitter.
    hopefully they will work just as good as the one's they had in silverstone....LOL
    but joking aside, i hope we'll bring the LONG awaited big updates and that they'll work as they should and make us as fast if not FASTER then red fools
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    That would be interesting to see, and of course I hope it fails if they do, otherwise...

I think Ferrari have stated in the past that they do not intent to repackage their radiator, so our sidepod will stay they way it is for the moment.

Of course Ferrari could be bluffing.

McLaren sound like they will be back this weekend. And Lotus are bringing interesting things.

I hope Ferraris next big package is ready.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

mclaren have just announced via martin, significent and more different side pod configeration and changes to the exhaust area, praying to god that they dont get ahead of ferrari before the summer break, will be such a blow with all the work we've put in...im actually hoping it rains come friday so they cant test effectively, but who knows, ferrari may be bringing a large package!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    mclaren have just announced via martin, significent and more different side pod configeration and changes to the exhaust area, praying to god that they dont get ahead of ferrari before the summer break, will be such a blow with all the work we've put in...im actually hoping it rains come friday so they cant test effectively, but who knows, ferrari may be bringing a large package!!!
    with all do respect, Ferrari are due to bring a BIG package either here or hungary; when was teh last big package they brought?? spain??
    so i'm sure everyone in Maranello have been working flat out these 2 past weeks especially, to bring something big to Germany..like most of us here have said, "don't underestimate Ferrari"...
    i just hope will be a big enough leap that we turn up the FASTEST....

Forza Ferrari

I don't think we need a big package? we are on the right path now.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I don't think we need a big package? we are on the right path now.
    100% True.
    Hope only this path to guide us to the right destination and no &^#@&^%#$ Pirelli tyres bereave from us the win like Silverstone.

There may be some truth to McLaren's sidepod changes

@andrewbensonf1
    McLaren have new sidepods that are "quite different" for German GP this weekend, team boss Martin Whitmarsh says

off the point, but something to ponder upon...Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button were in the pitlane for just 99.401 seconds during their home race, compared with 100.805 seconds for Ferrari and 101.181 seconds for Red Bull.

“Our target is an average stationary time of 2.5 seconds by the end of the year,” said Michael.

And then, for 2013, “I think two seconds is not unrealistic,” he added.

soooo we spent 1.5 seconds more in the pit lane, no biggy, however thats easy time we can get, so crucial in such a tight field, great job by the boys, keep it up!!!

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...765-613563.jpg

This is what McLaren got for this weekend. I know this isn't a McLaren thread, but I am worried. I think they will be back.

On Ferrari, I heard they will have a modified floor and diffuser as well as front wing, but not sure about this.

I'm not worried.
    It's inevitable.
    Except the race on the track there is always the upgrade and evovle race.
    Someone who stays back in this race loses ground.
    That's F1. Not a moment to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...765-613563.jpg

This is what McLaren got for this weekend. I know this isn't a McLaren thread, but I am worried. I think they will be back.

On Ferrari, I heard they will have a modified floor and diffuser as well as front wing, but not sure about this.
    Sorry dunno what that little wing is for but it looks sick..I didn't know they were even allowed to have that there It looks worrying for me..

don't worry, wet practice is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by number 13 View Post
    Sorry dunno what that little wing is for but it looks sick..I didn't know they were even allowed to have that there It looks worrying for me..
    It's not a wing.

holy , that looks amazing, not a clue how it works or whether its legal...but that looks like downforce to me haha! they will not take ferrari, keep the faith!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    It's not a wing.
    It's an airbag in case of Hamster's car and in case of Button's is a complaint box (just in case)...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    It's not a wing.
    Care to exlain what do you think it is? It looks like a mini wing to me...

It's part of the upper engine cover where the two parts meet.

Similar to their old design but has been shortened.

Care to exlain what do you think it is? It looks like a mini wing to me...
    The paint is wrong. It's a tiny fridge in Kimi's car for the tiny beers ....