Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: LaFerrari Thread

.44 and .46 is nothing, do that lap 100 times and it's the driver that wins or loses 0.2 sec so it could be that the Ferrari is 51 times faster so it's random driver margins.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

It's a great review. I love LaFerrari even more than I did before.

Finally a track day of the trio! SPOILER on the result below...

I felt the test was completely fair. The Porsche comes with Michelins so it should wear those tires. Despite how great the LaFerrari is, I feel reality is putting the car in its place a bit. There was so much hype and mythical aura around the car, it gave the impression that it should be the greatest ever, despite when looking at the facts should have been quite obvious to not be the fastest. The P1 has a much more aggressive downforce package, let alone the track day setup, and it's lighter. In may way's the Porsche is the most impressive as it's able to pull lap times and figures that shouldn't be attainable in a car that heavy and bulky. The Ferrari really seems like best drivers car, seems to deliver a bigger experience. I am shocked it's not faster in a straight line honestly. The power to weight ratio should mean it should walk all over the Porsche in a drag race, and it doesn't. 178.5 mph for the Porsche, 179 mph for Ferrari, 183.5 for McLaren.

The LaFerrari and Porsche both are better examples of the ultimate street supercar, while the P1 is on the verge of being a race car for the road, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would not surprise me at all if the next evolution of Ferrari hyper car is much more aggressive with it's aerodynamics, and with it's own track mode as well.

Who really cares if LaFerrari is slightly slower than the p1? The 0.5 second gap on a long track like Portimao is negligible. At the end of the day, these 3 cars are very evenly matched in terms of pure performance and it all comes down to driver's skill, tires and the conditions on the track which make the difference. On some other track with a different driver behind the wheel, LaFerrari could easily be 0.5 secs faster. But one thing is clear: LaFerrari is certainly the most exciting and fun car to drive out of the three. It's also the most soulful and the most beautiful and the fact that it has the awesome V12 engine in the back producing wonderful symphony every time you drive it, that already alone trumps the other two competitors. As a Ferrari fan I'm really proud of the beautiful engineering masterpiece that is LaFerrari. And besides, I'll take having a slightly slower hypercar and being competitive in F1 over having a slightly faster hypercar and being absolutely nowhere in F1 anyday.

KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Who really cares if LaFerrari is slightly slower than the p1? The 0.5 second gap on a long track like Portimao is negligible. At the end of the day, these 3 cars are very evenly matched in terms of pure performance and it all comes down to driver's skill, tires and the conditions on the track which make the difference. On some other track with a different driver behind the wheel, LaFerrari could easily be 0.5 secs faster.
    0.5 seconds in F1 is considered a huge margin, so I can't agree that 0.5 seconds is negligible in this test. They were all tested by the same driver, on the same day, with virtually the same weather/track conditions. But for all 3 cars to be separated by just half a second with such different engineering, that's incredible.

i heard that Mac send a post production car with probably something "extra" plus the "track" mode(all P1s has it and helps a lot on the track)!!!
    In 10.59 of the video you can see on the plate in says chassis pp3(post production??)
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

But the McLaren was not road legal when it set it's time. With standard tyres and road legal trim McLaren is a few seconds slower than the others but from a poor company like McLaren that is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    But the McLaren was not road legal when it set it's time. With standard tyres and road legal trim McLaren is a few seconds slower than the others but from a poor company like McLaren that is to be expected.
    It has a track mode that McLaren designed and built into the production car. The Porsche has a track mode that changes its functions. I am sure Ferrari has a "race mode" just like the F430 has. They were on a race track testing how fast it lap, the function can't be argued.

I would like to see a difference between standard mode vs track mode on the same tire.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    It has a track mode that McLaren designed and built into the production car. The Porsche has a track mode that changes its functions. I am sure Ferrari has a "race mode" just like the F430 has. They were on a race track testing how fast it lap, the function can't be argued.

I would like to see a difference between standard mode vs track mode on the same tire.
    Fine but as it was a track test and you can run non legal settings even though LaFerrari cannot be put in a track mode at the push of a button it can be optimised by lowering the suspension and other mods even if it takes a few hours. McLaren clearly would not run with their road tyres in a road legal spec as they would lose.

As for wet road driving the Porsche would suffer with those tyres and the McLaren would be know where on P Zero Corsas and no track setting. Anyway the market for these cars dictates the La Ferrari has doubled in value the others have not even come close. They are not really competition they just make up the numbers.

The bottom line is that there were over 750 additional requests for LaFerrari in addition to the 499 that were already sold, while mclaren and porsche struggled to sell all of their cars. That's the appeal and magic of Ferrari which the likes of mclaren and porsche can only dream of.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI