Thread: Belgian Grand Prix: Fernando Alonso pins hopes on rain

Belgian Grand Prix: Fernando Alonso pins hopes on rain

Fernando Alonso believes a wet Belgian Grand Prix would better suit his and Ferrari's championship hopes.

Although Alonso holds a 40-point advantage in the Formula 1 title standings, he reckons the fact that Ferrari has not had the quickest car all season means that a downpour at Spa-Francorchamps could offer him more opportunity for a big points haul.

"When your car is competitive and you are good in that weekend, maybe a dry race is better because it is more consistent," he said during a media event with Shell on Thursday.

"If you are quick you are 99 per cent [likely to be] on the podium, which would be a good result already for us.

"If you are not competitive, I am sure the wet conditions are a help because you can do more, like choose the right tyre in the right moment.

"At the moment, I don't know [which would be best], but looking at this year's championships, maybe a wet race is better for us."

He added: "At the same time, wet is more risk. There is aquaplanning, white lines, kerbs, so the wet race can help you a lot and take a lot as well.

"I think with the championship position, you must finish races, you must always score points, and a wet race means more risk, but it is more risk for everybody."

Alonso said that he was raring to go after the summer break - and felt that the time off was vital for everyone ahead of the punishing end to the campaign.

"It was nice time to switch off from F1 a little bit, for 10-15 days, recharge the batteries and now arrive 100 per cent again with a lot of motivation, a lot of desire to be in the car," he said.

"I have been looking forward to tomorrow for many days already. There are seven races out of Europe, a lot of time changes, a lot of travelling now coming, so you need to be 100 per cent because it will be a long final part of the season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102043

I would rather he be saying he wants a dry race..
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Man View Post
    I would rather he be saying he wants a dry race..
    trust me he would LOVE to say that, but he knows that the F2012 is still NOT the fastest car out there and i think this weekend is probably gonna be damage limitation for us still...unless Ferrari will prove me wrong and the updates they brought will make the car much faster and Alonso will be able to qualify for the top spots on the grid...

i guess we'll have to see how FP1 and FP2 will unfold and make our conclusions from there
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

The weather there changes quick. As we have seen some forecasts saying, dry Saturday, Sunday. It all can changes VERY quickly there. I hope it does rain Saturday, Sunday? why for sure why not as we have seen too in the wet, our cars we quick and have slight advantage in the wet, especially on the inters over Mclaren.

Forza Ferrari
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I was kind of worried when I first saw this comment, but I can understand his logic. From the development thread we should be faster here than in Hungary which is promising.

I think as many have said on the forum already, it's going to be unlikely we keep getting wet qualifying sessions to mask our sometimes lacking dry weather pace. At this stage I'd like a completely dry weekend just so we know where we actually stand in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    trust me he would LOVE to say that, but he knows that the F2012 is still NOT the fastest car out there and i think this weekend is probably gonna be damage limitation for us still...unless Ferrari will prove me wrong and the updates they brought will make the car much faster and Alonso will be able to qualify for the top spots on the grid...

i guess we'll have to see how FP1 and FP2 will unfold and make our conclusions from there
    How many more weekends are going to be damage limitations for Ferrari?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    hopefully this one coming and from Monza onwards we'll be OK....unless Mclaren's, Lotus's and red bull's monza specific packages will be better then ours.

so technically these two coming races will be the only 2 damage limitation one's...as Pat Fry has stated a big package will be coming for Singapore and teh team is pinning all their hopes in it...and us fans too..

so fingers crossed that from singapore onwards we'll be dominating...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

As many times as we need to

Ferrari have been slowly improving since the start of the season. If this weekend is damage limitation, it still can't be any worse than the first half of the season. Yet somehow Alonso is 40 points ahead. Although Alonso have won 3 times, another equally important thing is he's been consistently scoring points. Part of damage limitation is to make the best to ensure you stay consistent, and so far we're doing well at being consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    As many times as we need to

Ferrari have been slowly improving since the start of the season. If this weekend is damage limitation, it still can't be any worse than the first half of the season. Yet somehow Alonso is 40 points ahead. Although Alonso have won 3 times, another equally important thing is he's been consistently scoring points. Part of damage limitation is to make the best to ensure you stay consistent, and so far we're doing well at being consistent.
    Yes. You are right about everything. But wouldn't be nice, and wouldn't we all love to see F2012 dominant if not as F2004, than at least 90% of it?!
    I am really sick of "this weekend is damage limitation". I would like to hear from anyone from team "this weekend we are looking strong and confident for another win!".

Yes. You are right about everything. But wouldn't be nice, and wouldn't we all love to see F2012 dominant if not as F2004, than at least 90% of it?!
    I am really sick of "this weekend is damage limitation". I would like to hear from anyone from team "this weekend we are looking strong and confident for another win!".
    Of course me too would love to see such a strong season again for Ferrari someday. But that probably won't happen this season. This season we started with a lot of problems and when we start that way, we have to first catch up with other team's car. We'll have to start the season stronger. Maybe next year...

Chin up buddy!

Damage limitation has got Ferrari 40 points ahead of 'faster' cars this year, because Ferrari is the better team. if more damage limitation is to come, then i am all for it!

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Remember what happened 2010, be careful what you wish for.
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

I hope it stays dry for the saturday because I will be there at the track :D

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Chin up buddy!

Damage limitation has got Ferrari 40 points ahead of 'faster' cars this year, because Ferrari is the better team. if more damage limitation is to come, then i am all for it!
    I'm not down at all! As you said FA is 40 point ahead of it rivals with damage limitation strategy. But surely at some point FA and Ferrari will need to start winning in stead of damage limitation. You agree with me on this? We had luck in a way that different drivers were tacking points and that helped FA and Ferrari a lot to maintain and increase lead. But if someone of its competitors start winning and collect points race after race, that FA and Ferrari are in deep ****.

I'm not down at all! As you said FA is 40 point ahead of it rivals with damage limitation strategy. But surely at some point FA and Ferrari will need to start winning in stead of damage limitation. You agree with me on this? We had luck in a way that different drivers were tacking points and that helped FA and Ferrari a lot to maintain and increase lead. But if someone of its competitors start winning and collect points race after race, that FA and Ferrari are in deep ****.
    That's true, and the team know this more than most.
    I think these 2 races are unique in that some cars previously not competitive can easily get up there, and it depends on the package. Like force India 3 years ago.
    It was said that Ferrari made progress with those parts that didn't work, and the track should suit the car more than Hungary did. I don't think Ferrari will be fastest, though I would love it, but I don't see any reason bar Fernando's usual words of caution to not believe Ferrari will be there or thereabouts, Alonso will make sure of that anyways.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    That's true, and the team know this more than most.
    I think these 2 races are unique in that some cars previously not competitive can easily get up there, and it depends on the package. Like force India 3 years ago.
    It was said that Ferrari made progress with those parts that didn't work, and the track should suit the car more than Hungary did. I don't think Ferrari will be fastest, though I would love it, but I don't see any reason bar Fernando's usual words of caution to not believe Ferrari will be there or thereabouts, Alonso will make sure of that anyways.
    Few more hours and we will have first hint of answer where are we this weekend. Hopefully on top !