Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alonso: "Leaving McLaren was the best decision of my life"

Alonso: "Leaving McLaren was the best decision of my life"

Formula 1 World Championship leader Fernando Alonso attended a publicity event for Viceroy – one of his sponsors - where he gave his view on the closing part of the race for the title.

"There are seven must-win races left", said the Asturian driver, who is well aware of the importance of each remaining race in the World Championship.

Despite the Spaniard’s lead in the competition, Alonso is cautiously approaching the final phase: "I must face these seven races like a chaser and not a leader because there are 175 points up for grabs and 37 are nothing. It can all change in one race".

Alonso vowed to "go on the attack" instead of racing conservatively: "I have to try to win the next three races. We’ll be using new parts, just like everyone else", he said.

Alonso went on to add that: "My only objective in Singapore (venue for the next Grand Prix) is to win. I have to put on a perfect display right to the end", he emphasised.

The driver currently leads the championship with a 37-point advantage over Lewis Hamilton, and is 38 points ahead of Kimi Räikkonen and 39 ahead of Sebastian Vettel with seven races remaining (Singapore, Japan, Korea, India, Abu Dhabi, U.S.A. and Brazil).

The Spanish master, who recently renewed his contract with sponsor Viceroy for two years, joked about his World Championship opponents: "If I had to choose between Hamilton or Vettel, I would choose Räikkonen". Then, in a more serious tone, he heaped praise on Lewis Hamilton: "Hamilton is the only one who is capable of winning without having the best car, which is evident as the others only win when they have a good car".

"There will be some twists and turns among the title contenders in the final run-in, as it’s a closely-fought battle", he said. However, the Ferrari driver was optimistic with regard to the final part of the season: "It’s easier when you’ve got an advantage over the rest. I’m more relaxed than I was last year".

When asked about rumours circulating of his supposedly bad relationship with Sauber driver Sergio Pérez, Alonso said: "I get on really well with him, as I do with all the others".

The two-time Spanish World Champion said he was still surprised about reaching the 80-podium record held by childhood hero Ayrton Senna: "I still can’t believe I’ve equalled Senna’s podium record: It makes me proud and I’ll cherish the achievement when I retire", he said.

The former McLaren driver also spoke of his time with the team and his decision to leave the British outfit: "It was the best decision I’ve taken in my life. McLaren is a strong team, but has won few World Championships in the past ten years", were the Ferrari man’s words.

Alonso also had time to speak about topics outside of F1: "If I had to share my time with a celebrity, I would do it with Charlize Theron. I like her films," said the Spaniard with a smile on his face.

"I love sport. When I get some free time at home and I don’t know what to do, I play with a friend or go for a ride on my bike. Cycling is my number-one choice and any other sport, the second", Alonso said when asked about his favourite way to spend his free time.

http://www.marca.com/2012/09/12/en/m...347484613.html
    Forza Ferrari

what a massive burn on Vettel and Button and Kimi...LOL

hope the comments and that against McLaren dont come back to haunt him.
    we're number one

If Ferrari are going to continue to build cars like they have in the last few years then maybe Hamilton to Ferrari is not such a bad idea.
    we're number one

No surprise there. McLaren seem to do things differently than other team. I read somewhere that they even keep the driver's trophy? IIRC, Alonso had to keep his hair short at McLaren. They are way too controlling IMO.

Doesn't matter how fast your car is, if your drivers are not happy, nothing will work.

What "bad relationship with Sauber driver Sergio Perez"?

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    What "bad relationship with Sauber driver Sergio Perez"?
    According to the usual pundits, whoever might come to Ferrari but doesn't come in the end, is turned back because Alonso is scared of him, so I guess there are some rumours that Alonso turned down Sergio because he fears him too, lol.

I do enjoy people being mean about McLaren. Well done Nando
    Forza Jules

Alonso: "Leaving McLaren was the best decision of my life"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I do enjoy people being mean about McLaren. Well done Nando
    Agreed

Ouch!!!

But true

Mac fanboys wont be happy.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Mind games love it. But, has a point, Kimi is just steathly climbing up the standings. But, no 1 has never won WDC with winning a race. Think to win WDC you got at least (need) to win 1 or 2 races.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Mind games love it. But, has a point, Kimi is just steathly climbing up the standings. But, no 1 has never won WDC with winning a race. Think to win WDC you got at least (need) to win 1 or 2 races.
    I think the minimum wins in a season by a driver has been 1 to win the WDC; and I believe that was done twice.

I think it was Keke that won just one, wasn't it?
    Forza Jules

...and I think Mike Hawthorne is the other.

yeah 1982.

Charlize Theron..
    "Ferrari gives you a special feeling" Fernando Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    ...and I think Mike Hawthorne is the other.
    yes he did, 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Ouch!!!

But true

Mac fanboys wont be happy.
    No worries, they are currently busy with discussing how much Fernando is scared of Perez.

Fernando is wrong. Signing with Ferrari is the best decision of his life.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    No surprise there. McLaren seem to do things differently than other team. I read somewhere that they even keep the driver's trophy? IIRC, Alonso had to keep his hair short at McLaren. They are way too controlling IMO.

Doesn't matter how fast your car is, if your drivers are not happy, nothing will work.
    I believe Ron Dennis is the one who had the short hair/no facial hair rule. He was way too controlling. Whitmarsh seems much more reasonable. In fact, i think Whitmarsh said in an interview in 2010 that he was very sad to see someone like Alonso leave Mclaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    I believe Ron Dennis is the one who had the short hair/no facial hair rule. He was way too controlling. Whitmarsh seems much more reasonable. In fact, i think Whitmarsh said in an interview in 2010 that he was very sad to see someone like Alonso leave Mclaren.
    Yes, he said that, but at the time he did nothing to help Fernando, and neither did Haug. RD's puppets, both of them. And i wouldn't trust any of them, no matter what they say now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    No worries, they are currently busy with discussing how much Fernando is scared of Perez.

I know now that Hamilton wants out, they seem to think they can take him (fat chance) so they want to big him up, but Alonso scared of Perez???

Honestly, the way some cling onto 2007.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    Fernando is wrong. Signing with Ferrari is the best decision of his life.
    Yep, this time he is completely wrong indeed! So even Fernando makes stupid mistakes....
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

I, too, love the mind games.

I hope he is playing them on us: I don't want Ramilton anywhere near Maranello.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I think it was Ron Dennis himself who said he regretted Alonso leaving McLaren. It wasn't Whitmarsh. He said this before the Abu Dhabi race back in 2010 when Alonso was leading the WDC and was the driver who was most likely to win the WDC.

I heard Whitmarsh saying they wished they had handled Alonso better and they had to learn from it. And how if they could go back in time they would do things differently.
    Forza Ferrari

Can´t wait to hear Hamilton to say that ( what Alonso said ) !

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    yeah 1982.
    Very odd year that one...

Obviously Gilles death, but didn't Pironi have a career his career ending accident at Hockenheim that year too...

Ferrari were WCC that year, and (probably) should have won the WDC too...

Yeah that's right he had a accident very similar to Gilles, went into the back of a much slower car in the rain think it was Prost? badly injuring both legs.

He did test again a few years later but then went to race boats and was killed. A sad tale really for two Ferrari drivers in 82, Pironi's wife had twins not long after he died, named them Gilles and Didier.
    Forza Ferrari

I would do it with Charlize Theron
    another thing we have in common

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Yeah, whether one likes Pironi or not he and Gilles should've been the dream team of the early 80's, should've won WDC and WCC titles yet ultimately never happened and both ended up very sad stories and both men with so much promise really is tragic...

The fact Pironi still came 2nd (5 pts behind Rosberg) in WDC having missed last few races, (and Tambay came 7th), and Rosberg won the Swiss GP which Pironi didn't race in through injury tells it's own story, probably one of the few occasions one could argue the best car and driver didn't win the WDC...

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Pironi's wife had twins not long after he died, named them Gilles and Didier.
    Didn't know that...

(warm and fuzzy moment... )