Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Singapore GP 2012 - Friday and Saturday Free Practice

I can not say that I am disappointed and neither I can not say that I am not... Somehow I have expected more with "updates" and the track that actually suit F2012...

Singapore GP 2012 - Friday and Saturday Free Practice

We can wait to see what happens Sunday evening before concluding anything. Yes, its not looking very positive at the moment but Sunday can be a different story altogether. Personally, I don't anticipate a boring Singapore race, wait & watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many negative comments over a practice session...chill out dudes..
    If we dont win it, I hope to see Shue..with us at 2nd and 3rd n Ham n Vettel
    waaaaay back there...

Quote Originally Posted by fadyferrari View Post
    i'm really tired of this....!i cant understand why a huge team like ferrari cant get better updates and actually get the car right at the front,when mclaren seem to able to do it every year...even last year mclaren were finally able to catch up with the rb7 ,which was a beast of a car.....its been so long since we've seen a ferrari dominate.....its getting really frustrating now , hearing stefano talk about bringing updates to the next race time and time again and then failing to deliver....!
    Ferrari is not the only team with talented engineers and designers. Other teams have their own talents too like Adrian Newer, and they too have big budget and can do everything Ferrari can do. And so its really a close competition this year because our rivals are doing a great job too.

About the updates, we have to accept that no where is it written that an update should work when we bolt on the car. You can do all the simulations you want, nothing can replace real world testing, and so sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

We should worry only if Ferrari is not bringing any updates at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Ferrari is not the only team with talented engineers and designers. Other teams have their own talents too like Adrian Newer, and they too have big budget and can do everything Ferrari can do. And so its really a close competition this year because our rivals are doing a great job too.

About the updates, we have to accept that no where is it written that an update should work when we bolt on the car. You can do all the simulations you want, nothing can replace real world testing, and so sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

exactly !other teams with lotta talented engineers and designers and funds on par with that of ferrari have been able to do a better job over and over again!.....it just makes stefano and co.look all the more incompetent.....!and its not only abt this year.....when was the last time stefano promised upgrades and the "upgrades" actually turned out to be so??....its not just about this year.....its been quite a while now....

Jeez people, get a grip. It's just practice.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Singapore GP - Tyres the factor in Singapore 9.21.2012

Marina Bay, 21 September – The second session of free practice for the Singapore Grand Prix has just finished in the amazing setting of Marina Bay. Under the circuit’s artificial lights, both Ferrari drivers managed to make the most of the time available to complete the work they started in the afternoon’s first session. At the end of the session the F2012s of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa lined up with the third (1.48.896) and ninth (1.50.039) fastest times. The session was again dominated by Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull, who went fastest with 1.48.340 ahead of the McLaren of Jenson Button, who was second with 1.48.651.

On the uneven surface of the street track, which is dominated by slow corners, Scuderia Ferrari mainly concentrated on the aerodynamic configuration of the two F2012s to ensure the best traction on the exits of the corners. As usual for a Friday, there was also a comparison between the two tyre compounds brought here by Pirelli (Soft and Super Soft) and a long run for both drivers. By the end of today’s practice a clear difference had emerged between the two Pirelli compounds in terms of lap time. That hasn’t been a major factor in the last two races but could be decisive for race strategy here at Singapore. Now the two Scuderia drivers will carry out a detailed evaluation of the data collected today ahead of the third and final session of free practice scheduled for 1800 tomorrow.

http://www.ferrari.com/english/formu...ractice-2.aspx
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Newey and red bull are not talented they are just cheating againg with off-throttle-blow and that helps them on this track especially in the slow last sector!

For all those claiming that we shouldnt panic yet " as its just practice" :
    http://www.f1zone.net/news/work-to-do-at-ferrari/15817/
    Even ALO appears to be accepting the fact that his car is far from perfect here and that they are not as strong as they were in Monza.
    Practice times do matter a lot....with improving setups,a better picture will be gained but we can hardly expect the gap to decrease because past history has proved that Ferrari take lots of time to solve their performance-related issues. Well,one thing's for sure...if ALO wins the title,Fry,Dom nd co. will not be able to take any credit for making their driver plod about in a dud of a car....

Fernando Alonso: “We tried various new components on the car: some seem to be positive, others less so, but maybe in the case of the latter, we need to spend a bit more time for them to be developed as well as possible. Overall, I would say today was positive, even if the first impression is that we are not as competitive as we were in Monza, two weeks ago. We still lack a bit of performance on tracks like this one, where you need maximum aerodynamic downforce. From what we saw today, there’s a significant difference between the two types of tyre, but we will have to wait until tomorrow to get a clear picture of the situation on this front. Maybe today’s difference has been somewhat exaggerated by the evolution of the track surface. Testing the tyres over a long distance is very complicated on a track like this, because of the traffic, therefore it’s difficult to make a direct comparison to our main competitors. I am reasonably sure that, on Sunday, we will see rather significant degradation and it will be important to manage that as well as possible.”

Felipe Massa: “It wasn’t an easy day for me. The car wasn’t right all day and I also suffered particularly badly with tyre degradation in both sessions. At the end of the second session, we found something that wasn’t working properly, but that doesn’t explain all my problems. We must find out what happened so we can fix it for the rest of the weekend. We have reasonably clear ideas about the direction to go in when it comes to set-up: one thing’s certain, there’s a lot of work to do.”

Pat Fry: “We had a full programme to get through during the three hours of free practice and, despite the track conditions not being ideal at the start of the first session, we managed to complete practically everything, which is always important. We split the work between the two drivers: Fernando concentrated mainly on evaluating some new components, while Felipe looked more at finding the best balance on the car. It was the same when it came to analysing tyre behaviour, with the drivers tackling different tasks, so as to gather as much data as possible. Fernando started his long run on the Supersoft, while Felipe started on the Soft. There were various updates to try, mainly on the aero side: some lived up to our expectations, others less so. Now we must study the data carefully to decide which will be the best combination for qualifying and the race. There’s definitely a lot to do to get the car right. As for qualifying, it will be important to prepare for the single quick lap as well as possible, while as far as the race is concerned, tyre degradation will be one of the crucial factors. On Friday, it’s always hard to say where we are compared to the others, but it’s clear our main rivals seem very strong, both on a single lap and on a long run. Having said that, we all know it’s Sunday that matters.”

@soumyabanerjee

look at what Fernando has done with, as you say "a dud" of a car. So what, Fernando knows when to attack, and knows when to race and collect points. Lets face it, our car fast at fast tracks, Spa, Silverstone, Monza, Barcelonaand will be at Suzuka, as that has fast corners that suits our cars. So what we not lighting up the timing screens today, look where Button was in FFP at Spa, no where. Race is where we collect points.

Forza Ferrari

With all of ALO,MAS and Fry downbeat,the signs dont look too positive...and i dont expect any significant improvements in Suzuka either,the track has McLaren written all over it.....its really frustrating to see the ordeals which ALO has to deal with thanks to the ineffectivity of Ferrari's technical team,which produced a dud at the start of the season,managed to improve it momentarily and is now going through a slump,a bigger one than last time....

@Rob : We were much poorer than the Maccas at both Spa and Barcelona...that is where they are strongest...sorry if i sound pessimistic,but its a fact that most races are won by the polesitter or whoever starts on the 1st 2 rows....races like Valencia 2012 happen once every few years. I dont think we can expect a spurt of competitiveness from Ferrari now,as they've been poorer than Macca in all of the last 4 races...maybe not so much in Monza,but SF did suffer a lot more deg than HAM...im not spewing empty rhetoric,these are all facts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    @Rob : We were much poorer than the Maccas at both Spa and Barcelona...that is where they are strongest...sorry if i sound pessimistic,but its a fact that most races are won by the polesitter or whoever starts on the 1st 2 rows....races like Valencia 2012 happen once every few years. I dont think we can expect a spurt of competitiveness from Ferrari now,as they've been poorer than Macca in all of the last 4 races...maybe not so much in Monza,but SF did suffer a lot more deg than HAM...im not spewing empty rhetoric,these are all facts...
    Look at what Perez done in Monza, started 12th i think it was and if there was 6-7 more laps would of won. Anything is possible this year with right strategy.

Pat Fry:
    "There were various updates to try, mainly on the aero side: some lived up to our expectations, others less so. Now we must study the data carefully to decide which will be the best combination for qualifying and the race."

Alonso showed some great pace on heavy load and hopefully the new updates showed enough potential to further try them tomorrow. I have a good feeling about Sunday. It's not just about the fastest lap or qualifying up front, one must finish the race. Qualifying top 5 and finishing the race top 4 is very achievable, we just gotta hope the contenders don't finish ahead of us. Regardless, looking forward to this race very much with everyone so bunched up

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

Singapore GP: Ferrari yet to decide on new rear wing after Friday practice

Ferrari says it has not yet decided whether it will keep its new rear wing design on for the rest of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend after inconclusive results in Friday practice.

The new wing features larger flaps and new endplates, and was seen as a key development as Fernando Alonso attempts to hold on to his world championship lead.

But after initial tests on Friday in Singapore, the team reverted to the original wing design.

Ferrari's race operations manager Diego Ioverno said the team was still analysing what to do for the rest of the event.

"It was taken off in the afternoon, after we had done the tests," he told reporters in the Singapore paddock.

"We wanted to do a comparison with the other wing, the one that we could call the baseline.

"The numbers are still under investigation. At the moment I cannot say if we are going to use it or not.

"We finished the session with the other wing, so it may happen that we stay with the baseline one."

Asked if he was worried that this meant another Ferrari development had proved ineffective on track, Ioverno replied: "I think it is quite a common aspect for all the teams.

"We have no possibility to track-test the stuff, we rely on the windtunnel numbers and for everyone when you bring something on the track it might not be working as expected, so obviously it is not a pleasure if it happens.

"It is a bit of a concern also for the future, but it is something that we have to face as everyone has to face because we have this limitation on testing.

"I cannot say that we are happy for sure, but we are not desperate."

Ioverno was still cautiously optimistic about Ferrari's Singapore form, with Alonso third-fastest in practice two using the old wing.

"I think on Friday it is normally very difficult to understand what is going on, because of fuel load and track conditions," Ioverno said.

"I think that we have to understand what everyone has to understand, which is the real life of the tyres. How the drivers look after the tyre?

"We are still analysing the data, but it seems with one of the two compounds we are not in bad shape, but I think the major factor will be how long the tyres will last and we will learn it only on Sunday, I guess."

Quote Originally Posted by theforce View Post
    Alonso showed some great pace on heavy load and hopefully the new updates showed enough potential to further try them tomorrow. I have a good feeling about Sunday. It's not just about the fastest lap or qualifying up front, one must finish the race. Qualifying top 5 and finishing the race top 4 is very achievable, we just gotta hope the contenders don't finish ahead of us. Regardless, looking forward to this race very much with everyone so bunched up
    Was doing faster laps than Louise at points, .2-.3 faster. Tyre deg going to be big factor in the race.

I dont agree with Ioverno's assessment of the "situation being the same for everyone"....that is clearly not the case,because ALO has 3-4 cars which are clearly quicker than him. Its obvious that Ferrari's correlation problems are much more significant than those of Macca and RB,had it not been the case,Ferrari would have had the fastest car more than once this season. But then,he cant afford to show that he's disappointed. I think "panic" is too strong a word to discuss Ferrari's reaction to the performance of their updates,but they're certainly disappointed.

The F2012 did look quite nippy on the options,i hope ALO manages to beat atleast one of the RB and Macca guys on raw pace.

i think what would hurt more than ALO not qualifying in front would be the bulls beating us. It sure was nice to see them behind us or be able to overtake them with ease.
    we're number one

Hey guys, just got back from work.
    What happened? People sound upset? Did the updates work?
    What about Fernando's pace and what about rivals?
    How's the weather for tmrw?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    i think what would hurt more than ALO not qualifying in front would be the bulls beating us. It sure was nice to see them behind us or be able to overtake them with ease.

Well it clearly shows that we have a correlation problem between wind tunnel/cfd and actual track performance every time we bring new updates, while others like macca and red fools seem to get theirs working pretty much from the time they bolt something new to their car.

I think that it will be a long 7 remaining races for us and by the looks of it macca have had the edge and have been fastest then us on all type of circuits, with exception of course for Monza.

Alonso is doing a FANTASTIC job with what he has, but deep down I feel sorry for him not having the life easier because Ferrari have provided him and his teammate with a DUD from the get go in Australia despite them bringing some performance updates that made it a little quicker, but NOT the QUICKEST as Pat Fry had hoped over the winter.

If Alonso WINS this year’s championship it would be HANDS DOWN to his efforts for dragging that MULE across the finish line and putting it in places and finishing races in big points due to HIS OWN merit and talent, and NOT the actual performance of the car.
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Its still too early to tell. Track condition was not at its best as well.

We will see what happens at Qualy.

Very humid here, so its going to be tough on the drivers and cars as well for Sunday.

But I am optimistic, Ferrari will do well

the track was very green so you cant read into the times too much cuz everyone improved after each other ham>web>alo>but>vet.FP3 will give a more clear picture
    hope for atleast 3rd in q3

I think ( haven’t done the sums) Jaime Alguersuari said that all Fernando has to do to win the WDC was finish in the top 5 in each of the remaining races. Fernando says he has to finish in front of whoever is closest to him in the points – at present that’s Hamilton.

Either of those is possible at Singapore so long as both drivers in the McLarens and the Red Bulls aren’t successful and no-one in e.g., a Lotus, gets lucky in quali.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post

Well it clearly shows that we have a correlation problem between wind tunnel/cfd and actual track performance every time we bring new updates, while others like macca and red fools seem to get theirs working pretty much from the time they bolt something new to their car.

I think that it will be a long 7 remaining races for us and by the looks of it macca have had the edge and have been fastest then us on all type of circuits, with exception of course for Monza.

Alonso is doing a FANTASTIC job with what he has, but deep down I feel sorry for him not having the life easier because Ferrari have provided him and his teammate with a DUD from the get go in Australia despite them bringing some performance updates that made it a little quicker, but NOT the QUICKEST as Pat Fry had hoped over the winter.

If Alonso WINS this year’s championship it would be HANDS DOWN to his efforts for dragging that MULE across the finish line and putting it in places and finishing races in big points due to HIS OWN merit and talent, and NOT the actual performance of the car.
    My views exactly. Fry nd co. will not be able to claim any credit even if ALO in his dud manages to win the title.

Races and championships come and go. But love stay! So whatever happens FORZA FERRARI!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Races and championships come and go. But love stay! So whatever happens FORZA FERRARI!
    there is also a saying.. "i might love you but I dont have to like you very much right now"

Either way Forza Ferrari!
    we're number one