Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously, why not bring back refueling?

With tire conservation majorly depending on drivers and fuel being a completely mechanical dependency, I do not get how Refueling shows a drivers talents.

Cost cutting is just an excuse. Teams need to carry the fuel equipment to all races. And the Fuel too. Safety hazard Yes. I remember one whole race in 2008 where after the refueling nozzle was detached there were flames. Same race where Felipe or Kimi blew their engine too. Hungary I guess?

Good Riddance and I feel its a stupid Idea. We just need a good car. Its a shame that we arent able to exploit the rules as much as probably Redbull or Lotus or Mercedes if thats the reason for our bad performance and also for this thread.
    4 down, 3 to go! Forza Sebastian!

IMO with current tyres refuling would be nonsense. Imagine driver has new set of tyres and enough fuel to push but again these tyres degradation would be against pushing.

plus

Refueling is dangerous. So many fire works.

I can not accept that drs, KERS and tire development costs less than the fueling gear. I mean, fueling was more than enough for creating difference in pace and create overtakes. Look at 2009 when they canceled it, overtaking was probably at the lowest point in the decade. Not to mention the artificial feeling from these new gadgets. Fueling seemed natural and IMO created more gambling in the sport. The errors in the pits, the tactical play if let's say you get a puncture or lose a wing, you can just fuel up heavy and limit the damage. I'm really hoping that it will return some day.
    Last edited by Forzi; 14th November 2013 at 17:17.

Bring it back immediately.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

FIA have been contraticting them self when it comes to cost saving. They cut cost at the expense of racing, yet it's ok to increase the cost when it comes to promoting green technology such as KERS and ERS. The development, the hardware, batteries, etc all brings additional cost and that's ok, but heaven forbid we bring a refueling rig around.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    We should save even more cost by having no refueling and having 1 set of tire per race like 2005.

Hear hear!

And those where mighty exciting races.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Bring it back immediately.
    For what exactly? Fireworks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    For what exactly? Fireworks?
    How many accidents did happen while refueling with injuries, and how many accidents did happen with just tires changing?!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    How many accidents did happen while refueling with injuries, and how many accidents did happen with just tires changing?!
    No idea. I just consider handling inflammable and carcinogenic stuff in the open different from changing tyres. Maybe someon can help out with some statistics.

No idea. I just consider handling inflammable and carcinogenic stuff in the open different from changing tyres. Maybe someon can help out with some statistics.
    The only serious accident I remember is when Jos Verstappen Benetton was engulfed in flames at 1994 German GP. Even than there was no serious accident.
    And for the tire change accident we had this year when MW loose wheel hit one cameraman. He had something like couple of broken ribs and big concussions!

The only serious accident I remember is when Jos Verstappen Benetton was engulfed in flames at 1994 German GP. Even than there was no serious accident.
    And for the tire change accident we had this year when MW loose wheel hit one cameraman. He had something like couple of broken ribs and big concussions!
    Well whatever, FIA won't bring back refueling despite any discussions here. And tyres have to be changed because not changing them would be even more dangerous- respective not changing them would make racing more or less impossible- if you want more safety here, make a mandatory time for the pitstops. Like 'you have to use 10 seconds'. I'm convinced this will happen sooner or later anyway.

Well whatever, FIA won't bring back refueling despite any discussions here. And tyres have to be changed because not changing them would be even more dangerous- respective not changing them would make racing more or less impossible- if you want more safety here, make a mandatory time for the pitstops. Like 'you have to use 10 seconds'. I'm convinced this will happen sooner or later anyway.
    I am not against tire changing. Hell no! Races are becoming more and more dull and boring, I can just imagine how it would be without tire changing! God forbid that to happen!
    I am just saying that refueling might make races more spiced, because of different strategies.

I am not against tire changing. Hell no! Races are becoming more and more dull and boring, I can just imagine how it would be without tire changing! God forbid that to happen!
    I am just saying that refueling might make races more spiced, because of different strategies.
    Ok, but when refueling was cancelled they did it because they thought it would make the racing more interesting since everyone was moaning about the fuel strategies deciding races.

Sport fans always moan about something, no matter what. In tennis, we have the situation now that everyone is complaining about the courts being too slow, arguing it makes tennis boring. About 10 years ago, everybody was moaning about the courts being too fast, and that it made tennis boring. For me, that is just

Bring back refuelling, and in a few years people will be complaining again. Its a never ending circle.

If it were up to me, there would be no refuling rules, teams would be responsible for getting their own tires, and the only engine rule would be a displacement limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    If it were up to me, there would be no refuling rules, teams would be responsible for getting their own tires, and the only engine rule would be a displacement limit.
    That would make racing unpredictable and the FIA would never allow it because it would take the control who is the 'chosen' one for the titles out of their hand. Not going to happen.

*tinfoil hat off*

Too expensive, not a chance for the smaller teams. Not that they have one anyway.

Ok, but when refueling was cancelled they did it because they thought it would make the racing more interesting since everyone was moaning about the fuel strategies deciding races.

Sport fans always moan about something, no matter what. In tennis, we have the situation now that everyone is complaining about the courts being too slow, arguing it makes tennis boring. About 10 years ago, everybody was moaning about the courts being too fast, and that it made tennis boring. For me, that is just

Bring back refuelling, and in a few years people will be complaining again. Its a never ending circle.
    Agree...

I would appreciate if it would be possible again but not mandatory ...
    as a backup before running out of fuel or instead of coasting around ...

Then a team may decide and has more options ... race full hard and have enough gap for fuel pit stop ....
    Also if something unexpected has happened (i.e. damaged front wing and you're falling back on the grid and need more fuel due to rolling up the field from behind ...)

why not: possible again but not mandatory ..
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso14 View Post
    Watch the '1' documentary. See how many drivers have lost their lives and tell me you don't want or value the safety of modern F1.
    I am not saying that modern F1 should turn into a real live version of that crappy movie Death Race.

What I am saying is that motor racing comes with inherent risks. If you attempt to eliminate them all you are left with 22 guys sitting in arm chairs playing F1 video games. And even then the game comes with a risk to those who have experienced epilepsy.

Modern F1 is a lot safer than what it used to be. I have no problems with the current safety features on the car, they make the racing better (or worse as drivers take more risks - depends on how you see it) Removing refueling on the grounds of safety is ridiculous. I don't remember many fatal fuel fires in the years leading up to the rule change.

They try to make it seem F1 "ecological" with cars that use less gasoline (or appear, making bigger deposit), where the true energetic waste is move the entire F1 circus around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    I am not saying that modern F1 should turn into a real live version of that crappy movie Death Race.

What I am saying is that motor racing comes with inherent risks. If you attempt to eliminate them all you are left with 22 guys sitting in arm chairs playing F1 video games. And even then the game comes with a risk to those who have experienced epilepsy.

Modern F1 is a lot safer than what it used to be. I have no problems with the current safety features on the car, they make the racing better (or worse as drivers take more risks - depends on how you see it) Removing refueling on the grounds of safety is ridiculous. I don't remember many fatal fuel fires in the years leading up to the rule change.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

double post

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    A very good reason NOT to bring back refueling.

A good reason why teams shouldn't cheat with the fuel rig.

Attachment 5025

Attachment 5026

Attachment 5027