Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alonso counts himself among greatest ever drivers

Alonso counts himself among greatest ever drivers

Dec.3 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Fernando Alonso insists he is unmoved after being labelled a ‘sore loser’ in the wake of his 2012 championship defeat.

Even amid his title battle with Sebastian Vettel, the German media said Ferrari’s Spaniard reverted to ‘dirty tricks’ to psychologically unsettle his adversary.

And afterwards, there were rumours that Alonso was firmly involved in the heightening of the ‘yellow flag’ saga over Vettel’s allegedly illegal overtake in Brazil, earning him fresh rebukes from within Germany.

“Frankly, I’m not that interested in what the opinion is of me in Germany or elsewhere,” Alonso said at Ferrari’s end of season event at Valencia at the weekend.

“What I know is that people who see me in the streets hug me and call me gladiator or samurai. What matters to me are the 1200 people in the Ferrari family who gave me a standing ovation at a dinner.”

Indeed, many in the paddock believe Alonso has improved even since his title-winning days at Renault mid last decade, and would have been a more deserving 2012 champion.

“Before,” Alonso agreed, “the people had a more or less good opinion of me, but now I notice a whole different level of respect, which I did not have when I won in 2005 and 2006.

“And then, to be one of the greats of formula one, it’s not enough to win titles, you must also tackle seasons like the one just ended.”

Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport quotes him adding: “I don’t have as many titles as Fangio or Schumacher, but I’m one of the best.

“Senna won three and is considered the best, even though others have more. When I retire, I will have the titles I have and I hope I am considered the best,” he is quoted by the AS sports daily.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

No doubt he's the best of his generation and a great driver.

I have not seen any original interview where Fernando said 'i'm the best' and i don't think he would say anything like that. Frankly, when it comes to Fernando, the only way to get what he really said is via video. Everything else will be twisted, wrongly translated or taken out of context to give a certain impression.

Don't worry Fernando, you know it, we know it, they know it.
    "Former F1 world champions unanimous in praise of Alonso"

"Michael Schumacher Names Alonso as Current Best Driver in F1"
    "Lauda Says Alonso Best Driver in F1"
    "Alonso could be greatest ever driver says Carlos Sainz"
    "He reminds me of myself, and a little bit of Prost" Austrian Lauda is quoted as saying.

Another triple world champion, Stewart, agrees.
    "I am amused with all the polls about who is the best now in Formula One, and I am amazed when I see that there is doubt. I do not [doubt] Alonso is number one, [he's] in another dimension to the others," he said.
    Quadruple title winner Prost said: "Fernando does things calmly, and knows how to get out the most, even without the best equipment."
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post

"He reminds me of myself, and a little bit of Prost" Austrian Lauda is quoted as saying.

"I am amused with all the polls about who is the best now in Formula One, and I am amazed when I see that there is doubt. I do not [doubt] Alonso is number one, [he's] in another dimension to the others," he said.
    Quadruple title winner Prost said: "Fernando does things calmly, and knows how to get out the most, even without the best equipment."
    Autosport doesn't know it.

And so he may say. He is just honest and apart from that he belongs to the best of his generation!

No doubt from me that he's the best of his generation and a phenomenal talent. The samurai/gladiator thing is a little nutty, but I would love to see someone photoshop him in a costume.

Disappointed Since 2010

Very nice.

I've read this article on other web sites ,but i didn't see the last part where he claims he is the best. If he said that haters on Autosport and Planet F1 forums would noticed it and start bash Fernando!

Haha i heard it on another topic as well but i guess i really don't have to go to that Autosport website ever?! They only blame Ferrari for everything or what?

Quote Originally Posted by radosav View Post
    I've read this article on other web sites ,but i didn't see the last part where he claims he is the best. If he said that haters on Autosport and Planet F1 forums would noticed it and start bash Fernando!
    They already did and hatefest is in full force.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Haha i heard it on another topic as well but i guess i really don't have to go to that Autosport website ever?! They only blame Ferrari for everything or what?
    Absolutely. Including the climate change.

Don't forget Hamilton. Even he's a fan!

Disappointed Since 2010

Yes that's right but i would care to much about the opinion of Hamilton to be honest

He never said that, it's just the press manipulating again.

Oh well the opinion of Hamilton don't care at all so iam not interested if he said that really

Nando was the best of the losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Massa#1 View Post
    Nando was the best of the losers.
    You really are just trolling now to get some attention and a reaction.
    Forza Ferrari

And here was me thinking forums are about opinions.

IMO 2nd place is the best of the losers, i dont buy all this so and so is the best when they dont win nonsense, and that goes for any sport.

Nando is very good up there with the top drivers yes, not the fastest but very good none the less. I simply refuse to blow smoke up someones backside that has not won for donkeys years now.

Its like saying fernando torres is the best striker of his generation because he had one good season.
    Last edited by Massa#1; 4th December 2012 at 10:19. Reason: typo

Wink

IMO 2nd place is the best of the losers, i dont buy all this so and so is the best when they dont win nonsense, and that goes for any sport.

Nando is very good up there with the top drivers yes, not the fastest but very good none the less. I simply refuse to blow smoke up someones backside that has not won for donkeys years now.

Its like saying fernando torres is the best striker of his generation because he had one good season.
    Helmut baby, is that you?

What are you trying to say Massa#1? You say Fernando only had one good season with us? I don't know if you remember 2010 still and also 2011 he did all he could with a BAD car then.

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    What are you trying to say Massa#1? You say Fernando only had one good season with us? I don't know if you remember 2010 still and also 2011 he did all he could with a BAD car then.
    Did the car stick itself in the wall at monaco? Did the car drive itself past the pits in brazil resulting in a lap where he may aswell have been in reverse losing the chance to possibly apply more pressure on button? And i was referring to fernando torres.

Did the car stick itself in the wall at monaco? Did the car drive itself past the pits in brazil resulting in a lap where he may aswell have been in reverse losing the chance to possibly apply more pressure on button? And i was referring to fernando torres.
    LOL
    Forza Ferrari

Are you sure you are a Ferrari fan. It seems like you only see bad things of Fernando?

This guy is obviously a troll. I mean seriously, Massa, No.1?!?!

Did chicken cross the road?

Quote Originally Posted by EL_NANDO View Post
    This guy is obviously a troll. I mean seriously, Massa, No.1?!?!
    I have never said massa is NO.1 but he is my NO.1 favorite.

I'm delighted to see all these things said, but when were they said? Since the end of the 2012 season?

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    I'm delighted to see all these things said, but when were they said? Since the end of the 2012 season?
    Why? Do you think it's not relevant anymore?
    Had to do a little research, most of the quotes come from the end of august this year, but i'll be surprised if they would think different now.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

It doesnt matter,quotes or no quotes he is still the best on the grid i mean he is the only person i can imagine that can drive like that and reach the very limit of the car also his concistency is amasing.
    I cant imagine Vettel doing so much in a crap car.