Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Official F138 launch thread, 1st Feb 2013 - all news/photos/info in here

I think it's not nicer than last year's car and the livery is... Unexpected to say the least.

I read somewhere that this isn't the real F138 but an F2012 with lots of F138's parts,and that they are in a hurry to have the real one ready for China!!
    When i ask this guy where did he read or heard this , he said that he did't read it anywhere and he can't tell me who told him,but he said just wait and see!!
    I really dont know what to believe!!
    And it can be just nonsense!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I read somewhere that this isn't the real F138 but an F2012 with lots of F138's parts,and that they are in a hurry to have the real one ready for China!!
    When i ask this guy where did he read or heard this , he said that he did't read it anywhere and he can't tell me who told him,but he said just wait and see!!
    The real 2013 challenger for china, now that will go hand in hand with pat fry saying we are 3 months behind! ohhhh god, hope and hardly doubt these rumors are true, but lets watit and see!

I am quite confused about some of the parts on F138. The exhaust for example looks too similar to those on the end season spec of F2012. And the front wing (except for the colors) looks the same as the "non used" FW on F2012. The only difference here is that the top flap is split on both sides, not just on one.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Higer nose, exhaust more forwrd on the car and a longer gearbox and complete different rearsuspension. That you couldn´t just bolt on the F2012. Think its nonsense.
    If that was the case Ferrari wouldn´t say the aim to fight for victory from the first race...

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    I think it's one of the ugliest cars Ferrari have unveiled in the last many years.

Hopefully it's fast.
    Beauty is the eyes of the beholder.
    Addio Signor Enzo. Ciao Gilles.

http://www.ferrari.com/english/formu...-quickest.aspx

Maranello, 1 February - As Technical Director, Pat Fry is not only ultimately responsible for the F138 but also for the workforce that has produced it and he began by talking about the latter. “Among the changes made to our structure has been the appointment of two Deputy Chief Designers,” explained the Englishman. “With some big changes coming through it’s a better way to organise ourselves, when we need to run two concurrent car projects. This year’s car is more of an evolution than a revolution, based on similar concepts to the F2012 and in all the little areas of performance where we think we can gain something, we have looked for those gains. The car has changed in subtle ways, some areas more than others, but in general, the F138 is a development of last year’s car.”

Although Fry agrees that fighting right to the end of last season for the title did have an impact on this year’s work, he is not overly concerned about it. “I think that is something that all the top teams will say,” he says. “In a way we were fortunate that we had already made the previously mentioned changes to our structure, as we were able to keep pushing on with last year’s car, while still being in reasonable shape for developing this year’s one. The biggest challenge was the aerodynamic side of things, as we started maybe three months later than is normal. We have quite a lot of catching up to do and you will see quite a lot of changes coming after the launch car: we will have some new parts for the second test and then another big upgrade for the third and final one, so lots of changes coming through.”

Another effect of the future on the present is that not much of this year’s work will be useful next season. “The fact that the 2014 car will be very different – aerodynamically the exhaust effect is changed with the turbo and exhaust positions being different, the front wing development will be new, while the rear wing constitutes another major change - means that a lot of our 2013 work will not carry over, which will put an increased work load on aero departments and the design department as well,” reckons Fry. “However, I think the design side is working very well with the changes we made, working in conjunction with the power unit team. Having said that, there’s a huge amount of work to do on both car projects and we have to get to work early on the 2014 car to be in a good position.”

One should not forget that Formula 1 is a team sport and therefore teamwork is another important constituent part of the whole package. “Apart from the car itself, you have to go after every last little bit of performance,” agrees Fry. “We have reviewed all last year’s races, to see what we did right and what we did wrong, in terms of strategy and we need to learn from that. We are trying to improve our pit stops still further and we have made some changes in that area. Hopefully we can gain another couple of tenths off our pit stop time. On average, we were consistently the best in this area last year, but you cannot afford to stand still, otherwise you find yourself dropping behind: we need to catch up to the level of teams that were quicker in pure speed terms even if they had more problems at their pit stops. We could say we were lucky at times last year on the reliability front, but you make your own luck and it reflects on the amount of work done back here at the factory: we must continue to work to be as good or even better on this front this year.”

So, is Fry pleased with the F138? The answer is long and considered: “In the last eighteen months to two years we have made major changes to our methodology and we are partway through a process and I am pleased with the progress we have made so far. But for me, our progress can never be quick enough and I feel we still have quite a lot to do to improve. I am never going to be happy unless we arrive in Melbourne and prove to have the quickest car. In terms of the launch car, we have done a good job on the mechanical installation and the design, we have hit all our stiffness targets and saved a lot of weight. However, we cannot hide the fact that, aerodynamically, the launch car is a long way behind where we are in the wind tunnel today. We will have a better idea of what our true performance level is come the third test but I’m not going to be happy until we are clearly quickest.”
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I am quite confused about some of the parts on F138. The exhaust for example looks too similar to those on the end season spec of F2012. And the front wing (except for the colors) looks the same as the "non used" FW on F2012. The only difference here is that the top flap is split on both sides, not just on one.
    Well the front wing changes all the time, so this front wing is probably some old or basic design and will change by the time the season start.

I am surprise by the exhaust design too, but McLaren for now is showing the same design. So maybe both team feel is better to stick to it while Lotus decide to try something different.

Edit: As we can see in the news posted by Suzie above, they have to consider that this year's design will be useless next year. So maybe that is the reason the top team will stick to what they already have and just try to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    The nose looks grim. Other than that it's alright. Like the paint job.
    Where did your enthusiam go, Ste?

Doesn't sound like the Ste we used to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Looks like a tractor (*ducks*)
    Wish my granpa had a tractor like this on his farm...

http://www.ferrari.com/english/formu...irst-race.aspx

Maranello, 1 February - Scuderia Ferrari’s Chief Designer, Nikolas Tombazis, like all his peers along the pit lane, will be eagerly awaiting the first few days of testing to get a glimpse of what the coming season might hold. For Tombazis, he will not only be looking for validation of his team’s work, but also for confirmation that the new organisational structure put in place last year in Maranello is taking the team in the right direction.

“The recent reorganisation of the team after a couple of disappointing seasons had an impact on my position when it became clear that there were too many demands on my time overseeing both the mechanical and aerodynamic aspects,” says Tombazis. “In order to alleviate this difficulty, we have created the role of Deputy Chief Designer with two people in this position, each of them alternating car model years. We have also taken on a Head of Aerodynamics and some additional people to improve our methodology on the aero side. In turn, my role has evolved to oversee these activities, while freeing up time for me to spend on specific aerodynamic issues and on adopting a more creative approach. Over the last few years, Formula 1 has become ever more sophisticated so one person can no longer do every single thing.”

The new organisation was the result of an in-depth internal enquiry into the shortcomings of the team. Apart from restructuring the human element, it also became clear that the beautiful Renzo Piano designed wind tunnel, was now in need of some modernisation. “Last year, we had to push on the development of the F2012 right to the end of the year, while initial development of the F138 began towards the end of last season with the bulk of the aerodynamic work being carried out in Maranello,” recalls Tombazis. “We also did some work in an external tunnel in 2012 and all the work for this season’s car will be carried out in the Toyota tunnel in Germany while we upgrade the Maranello wind tunnel to bring it up to the right level. It is now quite old and needs upgrading having served us well for twelve years. The ideal situation would be to have the wind tunnel right here and I cannot say that using a wind tunnel in Cologne is the perfect solution, but weighing up the medium and long term advantages of having an upgrade on our wind tunnel or carrying on as it was, we concluded that our current strategy was the best. We have taken steps to ensure communications and logistics are as effective as possible in 2013. But still, wherever the wind tunnel, the most important thing is to have good ideas and aerodynamic development and a good facility.”

Tombazis is far too experienced in the ways of Formula 1 to make brave predictions for the coming season: “recent years have taught me not to say too much too early, so let’s wait and see what answer we get from the track. I think we have done a reasonable job and we certainly had to make a step up from where we had been in the past few years: the launch specification car, that will run at the first test, has had a relatively small amount of wind tunnel development because it was fixed straight after the end of the season, when we pushed so late on the F2012. However, I believe we will have a strong package for the third test and first race.”
    Forza Jules

However, we cannot hide the fact that, aerodynamically, the launch car is a long way behind where we are in the wind tunnel today. We will have a better idea of what our true performance level is come the third test but I’m not going to be happy until we are clearly quickest.”

MAYBE PURE PASSION IS CORRECT AFTERALL :s

A Real Beauty..
    But as Pat Fry and Tombasis said,we will have to wait till the 3rd test to find out the true perfomance..!!!
    hope Ferrari hit the track running...
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

I'm glad to see we got rid of ironing board for a front nose. The car looks beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
    I'm glad to see we got rid of ironing board for a front nose. The car looks beautiful
    yes last year everyone moaned,and they were right the car looked ridiculous.now i also like the livery there is less white more red and a little black

Love the livery, hope its a winner
    Forza Ferrari

The car reminds me of the F2004 race car for some reason. Lets hope this hold true regarding performance.

Ciao,

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    However, we cannot hide the fact that, aerodynamically, the launch car is a long way behind where we are in the wind tunnel today. We will have a better idea of what our true performance level is come the third test but I’m not going to be happy until we are clearly quickest.”

MAYBE PURE PASSION IS CORRECT AFTERALL :s
    i really like the sounds of what Pat Fry states in this little paragraph...it shows the passion he has towards having Ferrari became a WINNING team...i truly hope we'll show JUST that come MELBOURNE!!!!

Forza Ferrari!!!!!!
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    The car reminds me of the F2004 race car for some reason. Lets hope this hold true regarding performance.

Ciao,

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    I'm sorry to say that but i don't think anyone of us will live to see such a dominance by ferrari(or any other team for that matter)

@ Jas,

I don't think Ferrari are that far behind at this point. There is only so much any team can do with the rules. It say they are much closer then you think. This car has embraced many features to be a fast car.

Ciao,

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Chief Designer Nikolas Tombazis refused to predict how the F138 might perform but did at least claim it should out-perform its predecessor.

He also said that the car's first upgrade package will be in place for the third and final pre-season test in Barcelona.

"Recent years have taught me not to say too much too early, so let's wait and see what answer we get from the track," Tombazis said. "I think we have done a reasonable job and we certainly had to make a step up from where we had been in the past few years.

"The launch specification car, that will run at the first test, has had a relatively small amount of wind tunnel development because it was fixed straight after the end of the season, when we pushed so late on the F2012. However, I believe we will have a strong package for the third test and first race."

I like the new darker red. Reminds me of Canada F2007. Last champion car as well
    The black is pretty cool and I'm indifferent to the white.

The car looks cool, although all Ferraris look good to me (yes, even the F2012). The wonky nose thing will take getting used to, but there are some nice minor interpretations like that on the car. Nothing major, but I like how they managed to take advantage of the bulkhead and vanity cover rules to crate a higher nose than last year and the F150

Hope it's a winner, but I think the only thing that remains the same between this car and the race version is the livery and the nose.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Spirit View Post
    Where did your enthusiam go, Ste?

Doesn't sound like the Ste we used to know...
    Enthusiasm is still there, I'm just not keen on the nose. As I said though, if it wins, who cares? It'll look nice when it's parked in the number one spot in Parc Ferme every weekend!

The nose is better than the F2012, not so flat and square but still agressive enough to (hopefully) frighten anyone who may be in front! The technical guys seem to be down-playing their efforts, though, so quite a change may have occurred by the time the cars hit the track in race trim. There must be enough of them to make it work from the start this time.

"I would say the biggest changes relate to the front suspension, which has an improved layout, while at the rear, the suspension is completely new. We also have a revised sidepod design, aimed at improving the aerodynamics in this area, as well as a completely new layout for the exhaust system.

“The car we will race in Melbourne will be quite different to the one seen at the launch and the first test,” continues Resta. “In the past few weeks we have improved and indeed in those ahead of us now, we can improve further, the performance of the car, which guarantees that the F138 in Melbourne will be significantly different to the F138 at Test 1…and hopefully quicker. I am reasonably happy with the car so far as there was a significant performance gap to be closed, something which we cannot deny, but I think we have done a good job in all areas, trying to cover all the weak points of its predecessor.”
    Is these mean that we will use a new chassis and radiator layout in Jerez or Barcelona test?

I like the way its looks, nice colour scheme and the best driver in the world in it!

Since the regulations haven't changed much I have more confidence now then in 2012!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Alonso e Massa: "We want to win for this team"

Maranello, 1 February - There were plenty of questions for the Scuderia Ferrari race drivers at the press conference which followed on from the presentation of the F138 and which also featured Team Principal, Stefano Domenicali.

Asked about the reasons why he will miss the Jerez de la Frontera test, Alonso said that, “the first test is a general test in which one checks that all the components are put together properly. Given the short amount of time available, we have decided that I will concentrate on the following tests: testing in Barcelona is more useful for measuring performance as well as being a circuit we race on. In the meantime, I will continue with my preparation and will follow the Jerez test, keeping in touch with Felipe and Pedro and analysing the data acquired by the engineers. To be 100% fit from now ‘til November will require combining training and resting. I can’t say if it’s a nice car or if it’s good enough to make the difference, because tenths are not visible to the eye, you need to see them from the cockpit. Now, all we can do is concentrate on testing.”

It falls to Massa to give the new car its first taste of the track. “The first test is very useful to understand the direction in which we should go and where we need to do the most work,” commented the Brazilian. “Last year, I had a very positive second half to the season and I really want to get back on track and continue with the work that has seen me improve a lot over the past years. My aim is always the same, to give my all, right from the start of the season.”

Both drivers were asked about their motivation to win at this point in their career and their response was unanimous: “The sooner we win the better and we want to win for this team, for what it means and to be part of the history that makes up the legend that is Ferrari.”
    http://www.ferrari.com/english/formu...this-team.aspx
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Really really like the F138, looks stunning. Took me few minutes to adjust to the new colour scheme. I know this isnt what we will see come Melbourne, and be an update. But wow questa vettura e sensazionale e sara dominante.

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I simply refuse to believe in this. I think these are just plain speculations - LIES, nothing more.

Also read it, and Ferrari them selves said, that this car is like 2-3 months away form what we're testing in the wind tunnel. Just didn't really see if they said its for china. They said the real parts will be brought in the 3rd test at Barselona.