Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Byrne working on Ferrari's 2014 car!

So, there's no actual confirmation on the whole internet? It's all a bit sad really. I guess no news sells like Ferrari news sells. May as well make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    So, there's no actual confirmation on the whole internet? It's all a bit sad really. I guess no news sells like Ferrari news sells. May as well make it up.
    What do you want? A personal letter from Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo saying:

Caro Signore Rosso Corsa, It is with great pleasure that we confirm that Signore Rory Byrne has been hired and is currently working on our 2014 F1 project.
    I hope to have informed you sufficiently for the time being.

cordiali saluti,

Luca.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post

Caro Signore Rosso Corsa, It is with great pleasure that we confirm that Signore Rory Byrne has been hired and is currently working on our 2014 F1 project.

cordiali saluti,

Luca.
    Ever thought of applying for a PR job at Ferrari?

cordiali saluti,

Luca.
    Exactly, you dont hear other teams going around saying, we have this person working in the aero department, this one on the engines, but these are for 2014 etc etc, i hope we have informed the other teams sufficiently so you can pinch our staff! be realistic guys!

cordiali saluti,

Luca.
    It's quite usual to request quotes/sources to such things as "Ferrari have confirmed...". Why have you taken exception to me doing that?

cordiali saluti,

Luca.
    Calm down, a source of the confirmation would be good no?

Otherwise we just accept rumours as truth?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

To be fair, 2 BBC journalists have reported it. It doesn't come much more reliable than that.

Andrew Benson https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/s...84526825988096

James Allen http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/0...-turbo-f1-car/

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

With source/confirmation you mean an official press statement by Ferrari? "cause just about every F1 site, journalist, blog, news agency, newspaper's sports sections that you can imagine has brought the news.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

With source/confirmation you mean an official press statement by Ferrari? "cause just about every F1 site, journalist, blog, news agency, newspaper's sports sections that you can imagine has brought the news.
    so it must be true then; although it would be nice to hear this from the horse's mouth (Ferrari). but if all these other credible web sites, news agency's, newspapers...etc are saying that Rory is coming back, i guess IT MUST BE TRUE....

maybe Ferrari will confirm this themselves sometime next week...for ALL nonbelievers like me..."i believe it when i see it" type of thing...LOL
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Just small quote from here http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...their-2014-car

Byrne was spotted at the launch of the F138 at the Maranello factory and the Scuderia have confirmed he is assisting with the development of their 2014 car.

A Ferrari spokesman said the 69-year-old was working on the new Enzo road car project but also providing "operational support" on the 2014 F1 project.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

The stories all say he is a consultant/assistant, which as far as I knew he has been since he gave up the full time job. I thought there was talk of him helping on last seasons car too. I don't really see anything new here, other than perhaps he's more involved than he was in the past.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Is this confirmation enough??

Designer Rory Byrne has returned to Ferrari and will assist with their 2014 car

The South African helped design all seven of Michael Schumacher's Championship winning cars at Benetton and Ferrari, before retiring in 2006.

Byrne was spotted at the launch of the F138 at the Maranello factory and the Scuderia have confirmed he is assisting with the development of their 2014 car.

A Ferrari spokesman said the 69-year-old was working on the new Enzo road car project but also providing "operational support" on the 2014 F1 project.

German publication Auto, Motor und Sport had earlier quoted Byrne as saying he was "working full steam" on the car with the 2013 challenger looking like "child's play" in comparison to it.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...2433/8490415/?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Italian forum members, you're on! :)

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Is this confirmation enough??

Designer Rory Byrne has returned to Ferrari and will assist with their 2014 car

The South African helped design all seven of Michael Schumacher's Championship winning cars at Benetton and Ferrari, before retiring in 2006.

German publication Auto, Motor und Sport had earlier quoted Byrne as saying he was "working full steam" on the car with the 2013 challenger looking like "child's play" in comparison to it.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...2433/8490415/?
    See that's the problem, now the story is contradicting

At first a sole news site reported that Rory Bryne is full steam ahead in the F2014 project. And they are still the only site to say so because here, Skysports is saying Rory Bryne is merely providing operational support, whatever that means. Doesn't sound like Rory Bryne is in charge of the F2014

"A Ferrari spokesman said..." to who? Who did he speak to? Nobody has claimed that scoop which is very odd, but all publications are quoting it. Was it part of a wider interview? Did the mystery spokesman only speak the two words "Operational Support" and then leave the underground carpark with next years orange crop forecasts?

I stand by my instincts. I don't believe the interviews with Rory and the mystery spokesman happened. Nor do I believe the Auto und Dumb and Dumber article.

I'm not saying that Rory isn't with us. I don't know that. Rory has been in Maranello for a while working on the Enzo replacement and as a consultant to the F1 team. Perhaps he is staying on in that capacity, there's no reason to think otherwise. But, I don't see enough to make me believe the interviews happened. If the articles were about a negative/derogatory story, we'd none of us believe the articles with their lack of reliable sources, mystery spokesmen and unnamed journalists/publications. But because it's a positive story we all flock to it like sheep and ridicule those with independent thought? Baaaaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post

Italian forum members, you're on! :)
    90% of the article is Byrne history, which we all know.
    The two interesting parts are that Byrne himself (allegedly) told Michael Schimdt, Auto Motor und Sport journalist, he's heavily involved in the 2014 project.

"Rory ha pure confessato di essere pesantemente coinvolto nel progetto della Ferrari 2014, quella che segnerà il ritorno ai motori turbo in F1, un impegno confermato dal Cavallino".
    "Rory has admitted to be heavily involved in the 2014 project, one that sees the return of the turbo engines in F1, a fact that has been confirmed by Ferrari".

Than he says, that 2014 is a great opportunity for teams who build their own engines, like Ferrari and Mercedes, they can let the chassis builders and engine builders work closely together and integrate the engine departments work with the chassis project, where the other teams will have to adapt theirs to the engine builder.
    Fabio Montecchi is in charge of the 2014 project but will work under the supervision of Byrne and Tombazis, where Tombazis is supervising both projects, Byrne is only working on the 2014 project, who's involvement is considered fundamental.

so basically nothing new...Its useless to guess whats true or not based on such a small amount of unconfirmed information. But I think that this news will be soon denied/confirmed from someone in Ferrari cos its too big to just pass by unnoticed...

"A Ferrari spokesman said..." to who? Who did he speak to? Nobody has claimed that scoop which is very odd, but all publications are quoting it. Was it part of a wider interview? Did the mystery spokesman only speak the two words "Operational Support" and then leave the underground carpark with next years orange crop forecasts?

I stand by my instincts. I don't believe the interviews with Rory and the mystery spokesman happened. Nor do I believe the Auto und Dumb and Dumber article.

I'm not saying that Rory isn't with us. I don't know that. Rory has been in Maranello for a while working on the Enzo replacement and as a consultant to the F1 team. Perhaps he is staying on in that capacity, there's no reason to think otherwise. But, I don't see enough to make me believe the interviews happened. If the articles were about a negative/derogatory story, we'd none of us believe the articles with their lack of reliable sources, mystery spokesmen and unnamed journalists/publications. But because it's a positive story we all flock to it like sheep and ridicule those with independent thought? Baaaaaa.
    Man, you sound so bitter, you wouldn't even recognise a good thing if it was right in front of you.
    And don't ridicule others please with your pedantic statements.

great news But it is also a Sad reflection on F1 that we have no New Fresh young designers , all we need know is Gordan Murrey and John Barnard come back in F1 and then we have a Truly Battle Royal on our hands my money on G.Murrey as he took over the being King from THE King of King of Designers The late Great Colin Chapman, on a more Serious note where are the new Designers can't rely on Newey or Byrne for ever....... if Frey and rest gang where All that Byrne Not be asked to be The Overlord (unofficial )

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    The stories all say he is a consultant/assistant, which as far as I knew he has been since he gave up the full time job. I thought there was talk of him helping on last seasons car too. I don't really see anything new here, other than perhaps he's more involved than he was in the past.
    He may still be a consultant, but in that role he is now more involved than ever before:

Byrne has had some limited input into the Formula 1 side of Ferrari during that time. But AUTOSPORT understands that he is playing a greater role in the 2014 machine, which is being worked on under chief designer Nikolas Tombazis and project leader Fabio Montecchi.
    Forza Byrne! Forza 2014!

By the way does anyone think this could be an attempt to lure Vettel away from Newey and Red Bull?

Man, you sound so bitter, you wouldn't even recognise a good thing if it was right in front of you.
    And don't ridicule others please with your pedantic statements.
    I think we've got off on the wrong foot Massimo. No hard feelings.

I think 69 is a very good age to be 'refreshing' your career.
    Mr Byrne has just become my hero!

I think we've got off on the wrong foot Massimo. No hard feelings.
    Certainly looks like it.
    Fair enough, "Byrne hatchet" buried.

Excellent news

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I would much rather they make a character like Byrne the technical director going forward or at the very least make him in charge of the 2014 car instead of reporting to Tombazis and Fry. To me it just seems like Ferrari have too many cooks in the kitchen...

Anyway, this is how Fry and co did things at McLaren. I'm not a huge fan of this design by committee thing they have going but I suppose I have to let it run its course to judge its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    I think 69 is a very good age to be 'refreshing' your career.
    Mr Byrne has just become my hero!
    Well, I think he is maybe a bit old for top competition...

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    Well, I think he is maybe a bit old for top competition...

Enzo was 90 years old when he died and worked up until a few months before his death. He kept a 7 day a week schedule. I doubt Rory's schedule will be as tough as Enzo's and besides, it's not like he's going to be in the shop beating out body panels or lifting engine parts.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.