Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fernando Alonso warns F1 rivals he is in best ever shape

Fernando Alonso warns F1 rivals he is in best ever shape

Fernando Alonso has warned his rivals that he is in even better shape than he was last season, as he sets his sights on delivering his first Ferrari world championship.

Although he has drawn short of declaring that his Maranello team has a car that is good enough to come out on top in Australia later this month, he reckons that he is personally in the form of his career.

After a 2012 campaign where he excelled, and was voted the Driver of the Year by Formula 1 team principals, Alonso said at a Santander media event in Barcelona on Monday that he is heading to the first race even stronger.

"I think always you can improve and I am ready to do so," he said, when asked by AUTOSPORT if he felt there was any room for him to improve on what he did last season.

"Last year was the best year of my career and I was very happy with the performance, but I think this year will be better.

"We have a better starting point, and I have learned from some mistakes of last year.

"You can improve always as a driver in terms of tyre management, and in terms of preparation approach for the grand prix.

"The trust, confidence and motivation are better than any other year and pit stop wise, with starts - all these things, we are constantly learning.

"I have prepared better; I am better than last year."

Alonso says his confidence is based not just on the fact he feels in better physical shape after electing to skip the first test, but also that Ferrari's F138 appears strong.

"[In 2012] I was obviously motivated and I wanted to win, but I arrived in Australia and Malaysia without very much confidence of what we could do, with not so much confidence in the car," he explained.

Fernando Alonso Ferrari F1 2013"I did not have so much trust of what we were doing, because, as I said many times, we were a little bit lost.

"It was not in the plan or in my mind to fight for the world championship last year because we were so far behind. We were 1.6 seconds [off] in Australia - so that was an amazing comeback from the team."

"I am more motivated than last year, but of course it is true that I need a better car than last year because we were too far from the leaders.

"I expect the team to have a better car.

"We don't ask to be half a second in front of everybody, but two tenths behind everybody is OK."

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105841

Fernando Alonso warns F1 rivals he is in best ever shape

Mods can you please remove this, i've posted it at the exact same time as another forum member, thanx
    Last edited by Massimo; 4th March 2013 at 13:09.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

@OSS EL BOSS,

We both posted this thread on the exact same time, i've deleted mine.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Alonso is very confident for this year. I've never seen him this confident at the start of the campaign while at Ferrari. He knows the car is good and perhaps not the best but good enough to compete with the front runners whoever they are this year. He should perform as good if not better than last year. Every year he seems to improve. It's not out of the question that this trend will continue.

I have him down as the driver who is most likely to win the WDC this year. He really deserves another WDC after relentless efforts year after year. No other driver in recent history has tried as hard as he has.

Don't you just love the so very predictable way of headlines to make the slightest poop sound 'sensational'. ALONSO WARNS F1 RIVALS as if he was standing there weilding a baseball bat screaming at them I WARN YOU!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    @OSS EL BOSS,

We both posted this thread on the exact same time, i've deleted mine.
    I was 1 minute faster than you!

Quote Originally Posted by OSS EL BOSS View Post
    I was 1 minute faster than you!
    "Massimo, Oss is faster than you, can you confirm you understand that message ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    "Massimo, Oss is faster than you, can you confirm you understand that message ?"
    Good one!

Alonso says he's not asking to be half second ahead of the competition, he'd be happy being just 0.2 behind. I don't know, we' ll see in Melbourne, but looks tyoo close to call. I've read somewhere that the top 5 teams ( Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Lotus and Mercedes ) might be in 3-4 tenths. If that's true in Albert Park, starting on pole position or P10 will depend on very small details. If talent is one of theem, then, I'm confident with Alonso.

Total confidence in Alonso AND Massa, it's not just a one-horse team, guys! Yes Fernando radiates a justified confidence in himself, is more likely to fight for the WDC maybe, but please don't ignore Felipe or think he's any less determined.

Italian tv: he said (Alonso) that Ferrari is now good for podium, while RB and McL are ahead and RB should be able to win with ease in AU. This year car, way better than 2012. Just reporting what i've heard.

Thats good to hear.

I hope he's able to push for the win from the off!

He's not one to give too much away, but i'm liking the sound of that, there's no doubt he drove the best he ever has last season, so with a car that's even 0.5 sec off the Red Bulls he 'only' has to drive as well as last season and we have good reason to have some confidence going to Melbourne...

Not just that, it would appear the car suits Felipe too, so both titles are a realistic possibility...

Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    He's not one to give too much away, but i'm liking the sound of that, there's no doubt he drove the best he ever has last season, so with a car that's even 0.5 sec off the Red Bulls he 'only' has to drive as well as last season and we have good reason to have some confidence going to Melbourne...

Not just that, it would appear the car suits Felipe too, so both titles are a realistic possibility...

Come on...
    Agreed. We have the strongest driver pairing out there and this will be our advantage if the cars really are that close together performance-wise.

British press already desperate to make Alonso look bad with a made-up headline?.

I like the sound of This Spanish Matador taming these Red Bulls!

Ciao,

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Put me in the mix and I'll do the rest - Alonso

I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Hope Ferrari can deliver for Alonso this year. I doubt that his optimism will last forever if Ferrari continue to let him down.
    we're number one

Gary anderson's predicted oreder for Aus quali based in 3rd testing...
    1 Rosberg 1:19.730
    2 Button 1:19.764
    3 Vettel 1:19.797
    4 Hamilton 1:19.886
    5 Raikkonen 1:19.968
    6 Alonso 1:20.004
    7 Webber 1:20.113
    8 Perez 1:20.348
    9 Grosjean 1:20.498
    10 Massa 1:20.576
    11 Maldonado 1:20.705
    12 Bottas 1:20.868
    13 Sutil 1:21.247
    14 Hulkenberg 1:21.341
    15 Di Resta 1:21.464
    16 Gutierrez 1:22.353
    17 Vergne 1:22.823
    18 Pic 1:22.915
    19 Bianchi 1:22.967
    20 Ricardo 1:23.138
    21 Chilton 1:23.903
    (times are based on some calculations for catalunya..)
    He still thinks Alonso will be P6??? and the guy with 2nd most points in last races of 2012 will be 10th?
    that too with a new and fast ferrari..
    gary anderson and bbc..they are always trying to speak against ferrari and alonso..

To be fair to Gary, I think he is working this out on the basis of the cars performances over the testing days and fuel load assumptions. He is not taking into account driver ability. He actually has Alonso as the one who will most likely win this year's WDC. He says that Alonso's "determination is just unbelievable".

Fernando Alonso a popular choice for 2013 champion
    http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/03/05/cr...roost-in-2013/
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Already jinxing Fernando- nice. It starts earlier every year.

Media always put extra emphasis to words spoken,interpreting it differently. I read it not as a warning to other F1 teams/drivers that he'll beat them day in and day out but more of expressing confidence that he'll have another great year due to his preparations, team chemistry and a better car.

Alonso is so no nonsense kinda guy, if he says something he means it. So if he is saying he is up for the challenge and feels good about the year, the others should start packing their bags.

That said, we shud take the article with a bucket of salt.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by varun View Post
    Gary anderson's predicted oreder for Aus quali based in 3rd testing...
    1 Rosberg 1:19.730
    2 Button 1:19.764
    3 Vettel 1:19.797
    4 Hamilton 1:19.886
    5 Raikkonen 1:19.968
    6 Alonso 1:20.004
    7 Webber 1:20.113
    8 Perez 1:20.348
    9 Grosjean 1:20.498
    10 Massa 1:20.576
    11 Maldonado 1:20.705
    12 Bottas 1:20.868
    13 Sutil 1:21.247
    14 Hulkenberg 1:21.341
    15 Di Resta 1:21.464
    16 Gutierrez 1:22.353
    17 Vergne 1:22.823
    18 Pic 1:22.915
    19 Bianchi 1:22.967
    20 Ricardo 1:23.138
    21 Chilton 1:23.903
    (times are based on some calculations for catalunya..)
    He still thinks Alonso will be P6??? and the guy with 2nd most points in last races of 2012 will be 10th?
    that too with a new and fast ferrari..
    gary anderson and bbc..they are always trying to speak against ferrari and alonso..
    Yeah you're right,Gary Anderson is always opposite of the Ferrari,but i think our quali objective in Australia must be top 5.

Disappointing; 2009 to 2016...

Sincerely hope Gary Anderson has got it wrong, otherwise we're not much better than 2012! Bucket of salt, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Sincerely hope Gary Anderson has got it wrong, otherwise we're not much better than 2012! Bucket of salt, for sure.
    Even if he proves to be 100% right we are talking about 0,260s dif!!!!!MUCH better then last year!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

He has Hamilton down behind Rosberg... says it all really.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari