Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Le-Mans 24hrs 2013

ACO statement...

2013 24 HEURES DU MANS OFFICIAL STATEMENT
    At 15h09 the No.95 Aston Martin Vantage GTE, driven by Allan Simonsen of Denmark, exited the track at high speed at the Tertre Rouge corner on his fourth lap of the race.

The driver was immediately attended on the scene by the doctors from the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s Medical Service.

In a serious condition, Allan Simonsen was transferred immediately to the Circuit Medical Centre where he died soon after due to his injuries.

Allan Simonsen’s family has been informed immediately by David Richards, Principal of the Aston Martin Racing team.

Allan Simonsen, an experienced driver aged 34, had taken part in seven 24 Heures du Mans.

His team mates in the No.95 car were his fellow countrymen, Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest wishes to express its great sadness following this incident, and extends its deepest condolences to the family and those close to Allan Simonsen.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest will make no further statement while the exact reasons for the accident are still being wholly determined.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Audi R18 #1 ‏@AudiR18_1 7s
    @Andre_Lotterer "The car is fine, its very hard out there..adaption is key. Im going to talk to Leena, get a massage, eat & rest"

i wouldnt mind going to see Leena
    Last edited by Rob; 22nd June 2013 at 16:39.

RIP Allan...
    allan.jpg

Only just heard that he's died from injuries, so very sad :(

Still I hope this 90th Le Mans can still be a thriller.

Ferrari still 4th.

In light of the news, I think that there should be no more posts in here except for the final results out of respect for Allan. IMHO

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    In light of the news, I think that there should be no more posts in here except for the final results out of respect for Allan. IMHO

I know said will not post for respect to Allan, but i got the AMR press release just after the terrible news...

ASTON MARTIN TO CONTINUE IN THE 24 HOURS OF LE MANS

Le Mans, 22 June 2013 - Following the ACO’s media statement concerning the tragic death of Aston Martin Racing driver Allan Simonsen, and at the specific request of his family, the team will continue to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in tribute to Allan.

- ENDS -

For Immediate Release: Sunday, 23rd June 2013

Strakka wins LMP1 Privateers’ award at Le Mans 24 Hours

Strakka Racing has won the LMP1 Privateers’ award at the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours.

In a dramatic race, the only all-British driver line-up of Nick Leventis (London), Danny Watts (Buckingham) and Jonny Kane (Thame) came from 36th on the starting grid to finish a magnificent 6th overall in their Honda Performance Development ARX-03c, boosting its title challenge by scoring double points in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

This is the second major victory for the Silverstone-based team at Le Mans. In 2010, Strakka Racing won LMP2 and finished 5th overall – which is still the highest overall finishing position for an LMP2 car in the 90-year history of the race.

A similar strategy of keeping the car circulating around the 8.468 mile (13.629km) Circuit de la Sarthe and out of the pits again paid dividends – and the HPD ARX-03c ran faultlessly throughout, despite zero water pressure for the majority of the race.

Constantly changing weather and track conditions, low temperatures and more than 10 Safety Car periods made it a tricky race, yet the team managed to turn around a troublesome practice and qualifying build-up to enjoy a largely problem-free race in its Relentless Energy Drink supported prototype.

Danny started the race and moved from 36th to 13th in three laps, before quickly settling into 8th place – the same position the team had qualified in before a grid penalty was imposed. His first stint lasted three and three-quarter hours, during which Danny sustained sore hips that developed into very painful welts, which required medical treatment during the remainder of the event. But his speed and textbook quadruple stint in the hours after midnight were also significant.

Nick took on the most challenging of race conditions – long runs when the temperatures were at their coldest and the track had the least amount of grip. His faultless performance immediately after darkness and during sunrise was the backbone of the team’s success.

Jonny showed no side effects of his 128.6mph (207kph) impact with a crash barrier in qualifying to put in another stunning performance on his tenth appearance at Le Mans. His experience ensured Strakka made no mistakes in the incredibly difficult closing stages of the race, where torrential showers of rain caused havoc. He eventually had the honour of taking the chequered flag.

Strakka Racing’s success was overshadowed by the tragic accident that claimed the life of Aston Martin Racing Team driver Allan Simonsen. The 34-year old Dane had raced a BMW M3 GTR with Strakka Racing in various races in 2008, including the Britcar 24 Hours. Strakka wishes to express its great sadness and extends its deepest condolences to Allan’s family and close friends.

Nick Leventis: “It wasn’t an easy run up to the race by any means, but such is the spirit of the Strakka team that we never give up. We stuck to our game plan of staying out of trouble and we’ve won the LMP1 Privateers’ award – meaning that for Strakka Racing stands on the top step of the podium at Le Mans for the second time in four years. It was a tremendous effort by everyone in the team. Both Jonny and Danny showed once again why they are top level drivers and whilst we’re not a factory team, we certainly try to operate at a factory standard. Fair play to Rebellion, they had the pace on us this weekend, but in a twenty-four hour race you have to be there at the end, so we’ll take this victory away with us and enjoy it. To race at Le Mans in LMP1 and be the first privateer team home is a monumental mark in the history of Strakka Racing. It’s been a very emotional weekend for all sorts of reasons. I am deeply saddened to hear the news about Allan Simonsen and send my condolences to his family. I was fortunate enough to know him well and am proud to have been a former team-mate of his in 2008 at the 24 Hours of Silverstone, he will be dearly missed by all.”

Danny Watts: “It’s not really sunk in that I’ve been on the podium at Le Mans, because I’m so tired. I have to apologise to Jonny, because I missed his last race-finishing stint, because I was asleep in the back of the truck! My side hurts a little, but I’m not so much physically whacked as mentally drained. It’s also been a very emotional twenty-four hours with what happened to Allan Simonsen. I had to take the start from thirty-sixth on the grid, so there was a bit of pressure on me to stay out of trouble – which I managed to do. I went on and had a really good three hour forty-five minute stint which got us threw all the GT and LMP2 cars. My second stint was at night and the car was consistent and fairly easy to drive. It’s great to won the LMP1 Privateers’ award, but what’s most important is that we get double points for the WEC.”

Jonny Kane: “That was the most changeable conditions of any of the ten Le Mans I’ve done before by a long way. It was very tricky, lots of people were spinning in front of you and trying to choose the right tyre was all very difficult. So this really feels like a brilliant win, because we had to work very hard for it. Victory in LMP1 Privateers’ certainly didn’t come easy, so it makes the win all the more special. Crashing in qualifying was a big set back for us and it was a bit unfortunate. I don’t make many mistakes and it really upsets me when I do – plus it took a lot of our spares out of action. If we had pretty much any problems in the race, with any damage to the front or the rear bodywork, it would have probably been a race stopper. So it was nice for me to redeem myself within a few days, rather than have to wait until the next race weekend! Winning LMP1 Privateers’ at Le Mans is a fantastic result and an achievement I’m very proud of.”

Dan Walmsley, Strakka Racing Team Manager: “It’s been a very challenging race weekend and a compete contradiction between what we experience in the run up to the race, none of which related to the team’s level of preparation, and the race itself – which produced such a very satisfying result. The issues we had in practice and qualifying really didn’t show the true performance we had in the car or our true standard of work. So to start a race fairly blind, with drivers who hadn’t had enough track time, and with a big grid penalty, and to still come out the other end with victory in the LMP1 Privateers’ category – and being the top non-factory car – exceeded all our expectations. Because of the constantly changing weather, we had to change our strategy and react to things on a minute-by-minute basis, and I think we called all the key decisions correctly. I’m really delighted for the entire team, as each person has contributed so much on so many different levels – even though we are missing our chief mechanic, Paul Stephens, who is recovering from a back problem. The result stands out as a reward for everyone in the team for all their hard work and commitment to the Strakka cause and to what we hope is becoming a well recognised and respected motorsport brand.”

Time-lapsed significant race moments
    00.00 JK takes the chequered flag. 6th overall / 1st WEC Privateers’ Team
    00.34 Safety Car comes in after rain delay
    01.13 Fuel and tyres (wets).
    01.34 Fuel
    02.23 Fuel and tyres (slicks).
    02.41 Fuel and tyres (inters). Garage to reset ECU.
    03.07 Driver change: JK replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks).
    03.29 Fuel and tyres (inters)
    03.56 Fuel and tyres (slicks)
    05.12 Fuel and tyres (inters)
    05.47 Driver change: DW replaces NL. Fuel and tyres (slicks).
    06.23 #13 Rebellion spins into barriers and pits. Up to 6th o/a and 1st LMP1 Privateer
    06.30 Fuel and tyres (slicks)
    06.44 #12 Rebellion in garage, up to 7th
    07.29 #1 Audi overtakes. 8th
    08.25 Driver change: NL replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 7th
    09.12 Fuel
    10.04 Spun backwards into gravel entering pit lane to change tyres (wets to slicks)
    10.50 Fuel and tyres (inters to wets)
    11.12 Driver change: JK replaces DW. Fuel and tyres (slicks to inters). 7th
    12.18 Fuel
    13.20 Fuel
    14.08 Fuel. Right rear puncture on in lap, for tyres as well (slicks)
    15.07 Driver change: DW replaces NL. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 7th
    16.07 Fuel
    17.00 Driver change: NL replaces JK. Fuel and tyres (slicks). 6th
    17.48 Fuel
    18.49 Pit under Safety Car (debris) for quick garage check. Dropped to 8th
    19.07 Overtakes #13 Rebellion at second chicane on Mulsanne. Up to 7th
    19.24 Fuel
    20.16 Driver change: JK replaces DW. Fuel and tyres (inters to slicks)
    20.59 Fuel
    21.51 Fuel and tyres (slicks to inters)
    22.37 Fuel
    22.47 Moved to 8th
    22.51 10th at restart
    23:50 13th after lap 3. #95 car crashed at Tertre Rouge. Safety Car
    23.53 19th after lap 2
    23.56 23rd after lap 1
    24.00 Start 36th on the grid (outside Row 18)

LMP1 WINNER' QUOTES FOLLOWING 24 HOURS OF LE MANS

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport):“That was the most difficult race I’ve experienced in my 15 Le Mans years. One reason, no doubt, was having to see a young race driver from Denmark lose his life this weekend. We’re feeling with his family. But the race itself was unusual too. For 24 hours straight, our drivers had to cope with changeable weather and adjust to new conditions over and over in a very short period of time. Consequently, the team in the pits and along the pit wall didn’t have any time to rest – I can’t recall ever having experienced anything quite like this. The entire squad showed an incredible performance in an extreme situation this weekend – I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Loïc Duval (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “Le Mans is a great race that evokes so many emotions and is so tiring. Now I’ve really got to restrain myself to keep from shedding tears. It was a difficult race in which we unfortunately lost someone (Allan Simonsen). Since last year, the whole team has been giving everything and prepared an outstanding car for us. This is my first Le Mans victory – together with Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish. A really great moment in my career!”

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “For me, Le Mans was filled with very personal emotions this time. I’m proud to drive for the world’s best team. This applies to all team-mates, all employees in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm and for Audi Sport Team Joest. They make it possible for us to realize a dream. Now this dream has come true again – winning the fastest and toughest race under the direction of Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. Unfortunately, we lost someone yesterday (with Allan Simonsen) who had the same dream. He was a very modest and nice person. That’s why I’m experiencing highs and lows this time. With respect to my ninth victory: I’m driving with determination and the ambition my father inspired in me. He died in March. Before his death, he told me that I’d win Le Mans this year with my team-mates. I’m hoping that one day I’ll be able to celebrate another victory with Loïc and Allan that I can dedicate to my father. Because this Le Mans success I’m dedicating to Allan Simonsen.”

Allan McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro #2): “Our pace was right this year. The 2013-specification Audi R18 e-tron quattro is simply very, very good. The engineers did a perfect job in the winter. We were here on the test day. Loïc Duval’s lap time and the confidence that Tom Kristensen and I had in the car gave us a good feeling. That’s why for us it was about being careful and driving a clean race throughout – without additional pit stops. Except for a puncture on Tom’s stint our run was perfect for 24 hours straight. There aren’t too many races like that at Le Mans. And we had strong competition in the form of our ‘sister car’ and by Toyota.”

OLIVER GAVIN BEATS THE WEATHER, THE ODDS AND A HEAVY HEART TO FINISH 7TH AT LE MANS

There were many challenges facing all competitors at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 90th anniversary of the first running of the famous French endurance race: the unpredictable weather, the odds against a top six finish, and the emotional toll of getting through a race which claimed the life of a popular friend and competitor from the LMGTE paddock, Allan Simonsen.

Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin overcame those hurdles today to finish 7th in the LMGTE Pro category. The current ALMS GTE drivers’ champion was teamed with his regular driving partner, Tommy Milner, and their endurance team mate, Richard Westbrook. The class was won by the Porsche 911 of Lieb-Lietz-Dumas.

Both Corvette Racing C6.Rs have had a difficult week at Le Mans as Olly explains: “It’s certainly this has been one of the hardest Le Mans races I’ve ever done because of the weather conditions, the emotions involved with what happened to Allan, and then us fighting with every GT car out there to make some headway, whether that was with Am or Pro cars. We were missing a bit on straight line speed and when you’re in that situation it can be a very hard race.

“At the end we had a problem when the car had gone off track (Richard Westbrook, after contact with a prototype) and we had a broken exhaust. I thought it would be okay but then I noticed my left arm was getting very hot in the car, then the side of the seat and then it started super-heating and I was struggling to continue in the car because of fumes. In the end we had to give up 5th place because the car wasn’t going to finish like that – it was either going to burn me or catch on fire so we had to park it for a couple of laps, make a basic adjustment to the exhaust system to last us through to the end.

“When it was completely dry and the circuit was rubbered in the car really came good and the deficit we had in straight line speed we were able to make up for in the way we’d tuned the chassis. Our whole aim from the start of the week was to think about how the circuit was going to be at the end but we needed it to be like it was at the end ten hours earlier. Then we could have fought with everyone and we would have had a far stronger event, not just fighting with the Ferraris for positions but the Porsches and Astons too for potential podiums.”

The Corvette Racing team plans to return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 with the new C7R which, by June, will have already taken part in the Daytona 24 and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Good tests indeed for the world’s biggest sports car race.

23rd June 2013

24H LE MANS: PORSCHE MARKS 50 YEARS OF THE 911 WITH VICTORY AT LE MANS

This year’s 24 Heures du Mans should have been a cause for celebration for many including the Automobile Club de l’Ouest, marking 90 years since the first 24-hour event in La Sarthe, Aston Martin Racing, which was founded 100 years ago, and Porsche – the iconic 911 was first launched 50 years ago.

At the chequered flag it was the new-for-2013 No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey of Marc Lieb-Richard Lietz-Romain Dumas which crossed the finish line ahead of all others in the LMGTE Pro category. Celebrations were, however, tempered by the tragic loss of Aston Martin Racing driver Allan Simonsen in the opening hour of the race – an incident which affected many throughout the paddock who had known and raced against him.

In fact, Porsche recorded an extremely impressive 1-2 in the LMGTE Pro category plus victory in the LMGTE Am class. Second Pro car to cross the line was the sister No.91 entry of Jörg Bergmeister-Patrick Pilet-Timo Bernhard, the only other car to finish on the same lap as the class leader.

Third in class was the No.97 Aston Martin Vantage GTE of Darren Turner-Stefan Mücke-Peter Dumbreck who had desperately been hoping to claim victory in tribute to their team mate. The Aston had led the category for the first four hours before relinquishing the place to its sister car, the No.99 of Fred Makowiecki-Rob Bell-Bruno Senna. This last trio had led from hour 5 until just before 10:00h when, during one of the many frequent and unpredictable rain showers, Makowiecki lost control and crashed the car.

The weather and track conditions were the largest contributor to the 11 safety car periods which punctuated the event. With such a long circuit and large field, there are in fact three safety cars which pick up and control the four different classes.

LMGTE Am also had a Porsche on top of the podium, with the IMSA Performance Matmut team of Rouen-based Raymond Narac claiming class honours. The No.76 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR took control of the category from the 11th hour and performed flawlessly to control the race to the end. Behind them were two AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italias – the No.55 of Perrazini-Casé-O’Young finished just 1m26s in front of the FIA WEC entry of Jack Gerber-Matt Griffin-Marco Cioci after 24 hours of long, hard racing.

With the two wins in LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am Porsche have passed yet another milestone in their long and illustrious motorsport history, claiming their 100th class victory at the 24 Heures du Mans.

The next round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, the 6 Hours of Sao Paolo, will take place on September 1st in Brazil.

24 HOURS OF LE MANS 2013: AUDI TWELFTH!
    While Audi says gets a new success in fifteen entries after the 90th anniversary edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Tom Kristensen improve its own record with a ninth win.

If the Danish pilot is more than ever the record for victories in Sarthe, his team-mate Allan McNish sign his third win in five years, while Loic Duval, who had also signed the pole position, added the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a prestigious list which already includes the 12 Hours of Sebring and the Tourist Trophy.

just couple of pictures..

RIP Allan...

Hey Robster, you missed out sir, was a really good race, great weekend, wanted Bruno to do well, but just didn't work out for him, pleased for Ant after last year, and fantastic result for Lucas and the Nismo car, still flying the flag for all us armchair GT racers, Nissan was a very big presence there, saw a mocked up 100% electric version of the DeltaWing, watch this space...

Obviously very sad situation with the Aston, we were sat just before the corner and saw the end of the accident, but racing around at those speeds is very dangerous, obviously no one should lose their lives, but that is the acknowledged risk they all take...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Hey Robster, you missed out sir, was a really good race, great weekend, wanted Bruno to do well, but just didn't work out for him, pleased for Ant after last year, and fantastic result for Lucas and the Nismo car, still flying the flag for all us armchair GT racers, Nissan was a very big presence there, saw a mocked up 100% electric version of the DeltaWing, watch this space...

Obviously very sad situation with the Aston, we were sat just before the corner and saw the end of the accident, but racing around at those speeds is very dangerous, obviously no one should lose their lives, but that is the acknowledged risk they all take...
    You were there? You lucky dawg! Someday...

@ Rob: what a beautiful tribute. Thanks for posting it, mate.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    You were there? You lucky dawg! Someday...
    Yeah...

Drove down on Thurs, came back last night, only a 6hr journey in the car, same as Nurburgring...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Yeah...

Drove down on Thurs, came back last night, only a 6hr journey in the car, same as Nurburgring...
    *sigh*

Lucky you

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Very emotional to see the pictures of the flowers for Allan

Ive been looking around for race reports as to what happened to our cars in the Pro class..a class we won last year yet
    got creamed this year. Close one in GTE AM.. I thought our weakest chance was there yet we almost won it.
    Anyone know what happened in GT Pro?

Speed announcers mentioned that Ferrari was thinking of bringing all of the 458's IN House next year. That would mean actual Factory
    team. Something Ferrari hasnt done in years.

24 Hours of Le Mans, the analysis
    June, 25th – The analysis of the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the AF Corse Team and the Ferrari 458 Italia was certainly contrasting between the GTE Pro and GTE Am
    class. The result did not smile on the 458 Italia in the Pro this year; however, the team achieved a great double podium in the GTE-Am category thanks to the performances
    of the squads composed of Piergiuseppe Perazzini-Lorenzo Casè-Darryl O’Young and Jack Gerber-Marco Cioci-Matt Griffin.

GTE PRO - The fact that most prestigious endurance race in the world would not look kindly at Ferrari was clear right from the very beginning: the “balance of perfomance”
    was decisively adverse for the cars that dominated the 24 Hours of Le Mans 2012. Following the start, some unlucky events affected the race of the Prancing Horse cars. At the end, the best result was the fifth place of the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N°71 driven by Kamui Kobayashi, Toni Vilander and Olivier Beretta (JPN/FIN/MCO). One position behind was its sister car, the 458 Italia GT2 N°51 with Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni and Matteo Malucelli (ITA/ITA/ITA).

GTE AM – The things went much better in the GTE AM category where two of the three AF Corse 458 made it to the podium. Piergiuseppe Perazzini, Lorenzo Casè and Darryl O’Young (ITA/ITA/HKG) took the second podium step in their Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N° 55. In third position, Jack Gerber, Marco Cioci and Matt Griffin (ZAF/
    ITA/IRL) in their Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 N° 61. Both the cars fought long and hard with the Porsche N° 76 (the eventually class winner) taking the chequered flag with
    a small gap from the winner. In summary, the double result is memorable. Finishing in eleventh, even though it did not see the flag due to a crash in the 12th hour, was
    the AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia N°54 driven by Yannick Mallegol, Jean Marc Bachelier and Howard Blank (FRA/FRA/USA).

There was disappointment regarding the 8Star Motorsports 458 Italia N°81 – managed by AF Corse – with the crew composed of Enzo Potolicchio, Rui Aguas and Jason Bright (VEN/POR/AUS). These drivers were among the favourite for the GTE AM victory, but the explosion of a rear tyre in the first half of the race and the further damage this caused to the car forced the team to carry out a 30 minute pit stop before to rejoining the race. At the end, they were ninth.

In the Championship (the 24 Hours of Le Mans is part of the FI A World Endurance Championship) the playing field is now very open. Ferrari is second among the GT Manufactures with 116 points (just 2 behind Porsche), while AF Corse is in third position in the teams championships on 60 points (14 behind nearest rival Porsche Team Manthey). The championship continues on September 1st at the Sao Paulo Circuit in Brazil.

AF Corse Press Office - Riccardo Delfanti

A TOUGH WEEK FOR KROHN RACING
    The years go by and do not look at the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the team Krohn Racing actor since the beginning of Endurance Championship FIA World. After the third step of the podium in LM GTE Am in 2012, the U.S. team had to give up in the night after going off track in the Esses Porsche.

The week had started badly for the team Krohn Racing Ferrari 458 Italia and green on No. 57. In fact, Tracy Krohn, driver and team owner, is violently off the track during practice. The verdict came quickly: car repair. It was therefore necessary to find a new chassis urgently arrived on a platform from Italy. The mechanics worked hard to build a new car so that the neophyte Maurizio Mediani can wrap the five rounds of regulatory night.

Party fund grid Nic Jönssona fought hard to get back into the race, but the abandonment became inevitable when the 111th lap, the car left the track in the Esses Porsche. The marathon day mechanics was reduced to nil in a few seconds, but the driver was unhurt in the accident which Tracy Krohn explains the circumstances: "Everything was going well until the last two or three laps Tires went fast enough and. the track was very slippery. I arrived in the second left turn of Esses Porsche and I took the turn. Rear slightly stolen and I went into the gravel and grass. thought I it was going to happen, but in my peripheral vision, I saw a car coming. I felt I had to brake, which sent the car head-to-tail in the wall on the other side. I thought if the car still, I was touching something else, so I did everything I could to stop the car. Both weeks were terrible for us, but it's mostly our fault. But we learn from our failures, we is mortified and find how to improve. The team did a fantastic job. I am very proud of the guys. entire team worked very hard and I'm sure this is not the result they expected and I expected. A fine young man, a talented pilot died today, so I think we should keep things in perspective. I offer my most sincere thanks to family and friends condolences. What a tragedy. Everything else pales. "

The American team based in Braselton, near Circuit Road Altanta, will continue his quest for the FIA ​​Endurance Trophy for the best team LM GTE Am, but now has 50 points behind the first. The rest of the season will not be a bed of roses ...

Porsche achieved an impressive 1-2 in the LMGTE Pro category, as well as victory in the Am class in its 50th anniversary year of the iconic 911 model.

Marc Lieb, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It’s a fairytale. To win Le Mans at our first attempt with a new RSR is something we never expected in our wildest dreams. I’m incredibly proud of my teammates and the entire crew that turned the 911 RSR into a winning car at Le Mans in such a short time.”

Richard Lietz, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “Even in my last stint when everything came to a head for us I didn’t feel any great pressure. But right from the start I had the death of a colleague in my head, and the battle for tenths of seconds and positions became secondary. I believe there wouldn’t be many drivers who could really concentrate, I’ve never experienced so many safety car phases in Le Mans. We were lucky with the rain today but we needed luck too under such difficult conditions. As far as our performance and the car goes we are delighted and proud, but our thoughts are somewhere else.”

Romain Dumas, No.92 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “This race was packed with suspense and emotion right from the start. It began with Allan Simonsen’s tragic accident, and in the end we were lucky with the rain which helped us considerably. However, we had a lot of frustration with the safety car at the beginning. This success is of course great for Porsche and the 50th anniversary of the 911.”

Joerg Bergmeister, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey:: “I had very mixed feelings after Allan’s fatal accident. First and second place is obviously a dream result which we had not anticipated before the race considering the superiority of Aston Martin. We had a fabulous car, but also a bit of bad luck. But we were always up with the play, second place is a very good consolation.”

Patrick Pilet, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It is a day to be proud and happy, but also sad. Due to the circumstances we’ll all need a couple of weeks to let it sink in. Right now we are all thinking of Allan and that’s why this success is not exactly the wonderful moment it was actually supposed to be for me. We came here with a new car, we worked incredibly hard together and fought together with Porsche for this result.”

Timo Bernhard, No.91 Porsche AG Team Manthey: “It was a very moving, difficult race with constantly changing weather conditions. We had hoped for a podium result, so the double victory is just fantastic especially for me since this was my last race with the 911 RSR. From the outset we were really fast, but lost two minutes early on through the safety car and we spent the rest of the race trying to catch up. In the end we all had that necessary luck and I congratulate my teammates on their victory. That was a truly great day for the entire team.”

Jean-Karl Vernay, No.76 IMSA Performance Matmut: “Porsche supports me this season in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup. Here in Le Mans I wanted to prove that they were right putting their trust in me. I think I succeeded. I had a great weekend.”

Porsche AG press release

OAK Racing achieved a superb 1-2 result in the LMP2 class, after a dominant performance. Following are quotes from drivers of both their finishing entries, as provided by the team.

Bertrand Baguette, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “I’m delighted to win here because this is only the second time I have taken part in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Many Belgian drivers are part of the history of this race, especially Jacky Ickx. I hope I can follow in his footsteps and that this win is just the start: The conditions were really difficult. It’s a great result for OAK Racing. A one-two finish at Le Mans – we couldn’t have asked for any more, really, and it’s also a great result for Dunlop because the LM P2 podium is 100% Dunlop.”

Ricardo Gonzalez, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “Since the start of the season, we have been working towards this race. You always hope you can win, without ever daring to believe it. I’m really pleased for my team-mates and especially for the OAK Racing team. Jacques Nicolet has invested a great deal in this project and I’m proud to have helped to secure this first win for him.”

Martin Plowman, no.35 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “It’s incredible. It’s difficult to find the words to describe what I feel. Winning Le Mans is a dream for all young drivers, so this is obviously the highlight of my career to date. I’d like to thank Jacques Nicolet. This race is his dream and his passion. Without him, none of this would have been possible. Our thoughts also go out to the family of Allan Simonsen, because even though I didn’t know him personally, we have all lost a brother today.”

Olivier Pla, no.24 Morgan-Nissan LM P2: “I am really very happy for the entire team. Everyone has done an incredible job here at OAK Racing, and personally, I have been made to feel very much at home since I joined the team in 2012. Along with Alex and David, we really gave everything we had, but a minor problem in the early part of the race ended up costing us dearly. We then were a little unlucky with the safety car periods. Congratulations to the team who did a great job. Now we’re going to focus on the rest of the championship and try to win it.”

OAK Racing press release

according to this article in Austrian Website Austrian Public Network Ferrari is thinking about step into LMP1 for 2015?

Can anyone confirm this?

What i didn't know: Austrian Jochen Rindt was the last who won Le Mans for Ferrari in 1965?!
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.