Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2013 German GP: Qualifying Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Edit: Picture of Webbo's bum looking for the secrets of Mercedes one lap pace removed on request
    I hope you removed that in the spirit my request was intended, wacc.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    LOL yeah the Fernando bashing is rife on here, out of control so it is.
    With all due respect, I think that a number of people in this forum are taking Alonso or Massa's sides, and yes, bashing the other driver. Which is quite surprising, in my opinion.

The big question is which of the drivers are going to start on the medium tyre, because if they all start with the soft thel'll pit stop together, if there are alot of backmarkers starting with the medium tyre it's going to be difficult for the leaders to find the gap of fresh air after the first stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiga View Post
    With all due respect, I think that a number of people in this forum are taking Alonso or Massa's sides, and yes, bashing the other driver. Which is quite surprising, in my opinion.
    If you think anyone is driver-bashing, feel free to report the posts - and that goes for either Massa OR Alonso, despite what some think.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    First Greig now Suzie ... who is next of Mods here with same message? Some bashing from high level on Alonso with this "Felipe needs to get out of way"?

btw

... this "if we have" ....
    I'm pretty sure she was just bashing the Fernando fans who think it's Felipe's job to move over. Anyway, I hope SF's tire strategy pays off on race day.

Disappointed Since 2010

One thing is sure though: it will be very interesting to watch this develop....
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    One thing is sure though: it will be very interesting to watch this develop....
    I'm with you on that! I have a feeling it will pay off as long as there aren't any opening lap crashes that take out our drivers.

Disappointed Since 2010

whatever happens in the race i am happy that they are trying something different.
    "I really don't know what happened" - Lewis Hamilton (frequently)

with a good start we have a good chance to reach podium

.... and we can be the laughing 3rd ... as many don't have us on the radar for something extraordinary as is seems.
    In Austrian news there is only the duel between RBs and Merc an issue: just a question if HAM can avoid first home victory of Vettel when you believe the reporters ...
    and as someone mentioned before: it will be interesting to watch how this move will turn out in the end ... as it this move was also not issued due to an incident or something like that where you had to do that. And even looking one day later to it, it feels still right.

When you don't have the fastest car by now you always have to do something special to equal the possibilities compared to those who are faster. For me it has shown how Ferrari deserves to win. And this counts much.... Even more if it works out even ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

The biggest advantage to start on the prime is, definitly with the prime being medium and option being, that we will be able to do a lot more laps in the first stint.. The soft tyre is faster, so for us it is very important to make a good start, because I believe we are vulnerable in the first few laps, but after that, like mentioned before, the soft will start graining, definitly in hot conditions and the times will drop.. looking at FP2, the guys that did a stint on the softs, they were doing 1.38, while the guys on older mediums were doing 1.36s. Like I said the first few laps will be very important for us, not to loose positions, if we can gain some, it would be very nice.. But remember, the Lotus is also going good on softs, so for us to overtake them on mediums, I don't know, depends on how long they are going to run the soft and how much deg they have.. But the RBR and Merc, will normaly start to struggle much earlier than Lotus, because Lotus has good race pace, they will push RBR and Merc so they don't "control" the tyres as good. Then, the times of Merc and RBR will start to fade, perhaps Lotus can do something, and perhaps they can push Merc and RBR in an early stop.. Nevertheless, if their times start to drop, they are as well vulnerable for us.. That's when we come in to play, we attack, push them, try to overtake.. If we manage to do so, it would be brilliant, but I think they will do an early stop.. But that leaves us and Lotus.. It is very important for us that we don't loose time behind them, and get some clean air.. Ones we got clean air, we start to push as hell, do some good lap times, RBR and Merc will "need" to do a certain lap time, because we could be a threat, they can't control the race, which is critical for us. Than we pit and go out on the medium, try to close the gap a little bit (we have newer mediums), than we'll see what strategy is, but if we can get a 5s gap or so at the last stop, with softs, everything is possible.. But yeah, like I said, first few laps and stint are critical, aswel as the fact that we can't allow them to control the race.. Lotus is our biggest worry, they can really sabotage our strategy toward Merc and RBR
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

We just need our guys to get out the box as well as possible to gain places and hold position until the others start to struggle and after that it's attack attack attack... but I don't like it we need a faster car in quali. Even third row 0.3 to 0.4 tenths off the Mercs pace would satisfy me but that is bad, what's wrong with our car to be a second off the pace? I know we are gentle on the tires but this is not the way you start a GP if you want to maximize your chances to win it. We need to be challenging the RB and Mercs fon lap 1 not lap 10-12 if this works of course. Too much gambling to my liking

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Yep, it's a big gamble. I guess it can be justified because we are still trailing Vettel in the standings. But what worries me is that our risk taking rarely seems to pay off. Let's hope this time will be different. Does anyone know if the strategy call was entirely made by the pitwall or was there driver input?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    Yep, it's a big gamble. I guess it can be justified because we are still trailing Vettel in the standings. But what worries me is that our risk taking rarely seems to pay off. Let's hope this time will be different. Does anyone know if the strategy call was entirely made by the pitwall or was there driver input?
    Probably pit wall, don't think one of our drivers want to qualy on prime...
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by prancing horse View Post
    whatever happens in the race i am happy that they are trying something different.
    I remember couple of years ago when Ferrari tried something different - putting intermediate tires (or it was even rain tire) on KR car on a dry track, expecting the rain will fall, but it never fell...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel08 View Post
    with a good start we have a good chance to reach podium
    Guys why are we always speaking about podium referring to 2nd or 3rd place?!?!? We need VICTORIES PRONTO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I hope you removed that in the spirit my request was intended, wacc.
    To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure about the spirit.

Nevermind, here it is again for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I remember couple of years ago when Ferrari tried something different -
    ... and changeing from 3 stops to 4 which brought MS ahead of Alonso in France ... or the undercut from Alonso in Melbourne ...

As always in life: in 99% of all cases you will always find the pro to a contra that fits ...
    we could have been passive and waiting what happen. The team decided to be active and perhaps Fortuna will appreciate it ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

I don't think we're aiming for third. I believe we're aiming for victory.

Damn it, I just love it when I read all the gloom and doom here, people understand this is racing and racing is all about making with what you have and taking risks.

I wonder, if some of you were watching F1 and namely Ferrari back in the 80s would you still support the team?

Sheesh!
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

The start is going to be hard to watch, let's hope Fernando has a good one, Silverstone was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    ... and changeing from 3 stops to 4 which brought MS ahead of Alonso in France ... or the undercut from Alonso in Melbourne ...

As always in life: in 99% of all cases you will always find the pro to a contra that fits ...
    we could have been passive and waiting what happen. The team decided to be active and perhaps Fortuna will appreciate it ...
    No, no, no, no... Don't take me wrong. I support different approach. It's just there is always two side to every story.
    Speaking of changing strategies during race, I was witness to one in 1998 at Hungaroring when pit wall changed MS strategy from 2 to 3 stops and won ahead of MH.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I don't think we're aiming for third. I believe we're aiming for victory.

Damn it, I just love it when I read all the gloom and doom here, people understand this is racing and racing is all about making with what you have and taking risks.

I wonder, if some of you were watching F1 and namely Ferrari back in the 80s would you still support the team?

Sheesh!
    If you are referring to me, yes I was watching that PAINFUL period during the 80 and 90 also!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Guys why are we always speaking about podium referring to 2nd or 3rd place?!?!? We need VICTORIES PRONTO!!!
    Well stefa trust me we all want to talk about victories,but sometimes you have to be a bit realistic,from the position we are now,it's a bit difficult at the moment.today it will all depend on the start,if massa can make a super start(although it's difficult on mediums,when the front runners are on soft) but if he manages a couple of places,and with our good race pace,maybe he can actually win it!!
    Anyways the track temp is hotter than Friday and yesterday,and that will play more in favour of us and lotus!!
    I think the suspense will unfold in the last 5 laps of the race:)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    ...for us it is very important to make a good start, because I believe we are vulnerable in the first few laps...
    This. I had the same thoughts The option tyres are probably more sticky and they are faster at the start. So unless someone in front makes bad start overtaking will be harder than before. On the other hand the drivers behind might use the prime tyres as well.

I checked the weather and it should be sunny, air temps around 25C. The track is going to be hot :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    The start is going to be hard to watch, let's hope Fernando has a good one, Silverstone was horrible.
    rumour saying Fernando trained with Webber
    Maybe he got his cross-start-result for this year and an other will be the lucky one this race.
    Webber a good candidate for it

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    We just need our guys to get out the box as well as possible to gain places and hold position until the others start to struggle and after that it's attack attack attack... but I don't like it we need a faster car in quali. Even third row 0.3 to 0.4 tenths off the Mercs pace would satisfy me but that is bad, what's wrong with our car to be a second off the pace? I know we are gentle on the tires but this is not the way you start a GP if you want to maximize your chances to win it. We need to be challenging the RB and Mercs fon lap 1 not lap 10-12 if this works of course. Too much gambling to my liking
    We weren't 1 second off the pace... In Q2 Massa did 1:29.8 and could probably go quicker by a tenth or so and pole time is 1.29.3. So we were about 4 tenths off the pace of Lewis, that is not too bad.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by prancing horse View Post
    I feel that it's too early for a do-or-die approach. Isn't Alonso like 21 points behind Vettel with still many races to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I feel that it's too early for a do-or-die approach. Isn't Alonso like 21 points behind Vettel with still many races to go.
    I don't think Ferrari went with this trategy just to do something different. They said, that based on simulations, they believe starting on primes is better for the race.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

aroutis
    Some of the members here would'nt have make it in that period of time and moved on to support other teams.

Let us be realistic-we cannot overtake the front runners at the start being on meds. All we have to care is maintain positions. Starting 7-8 from the grid already puts us 3-4 sec down. So after 8 laps even with softs degrading, the front runners will have over 10sec gap. Our aim is to keep it within these times - 10-12sec before they pit.