Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No more twitter for Fernando (Ferrari related stuff)?

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    I have a funny feeling that what have been banned were those funny samurai tweets, because we haven't seen many of them recently.

Today, he's tweeted pictures from his victories in Spain and China, where is the line drawn between a Ferrari-related and a non-Ferrari-related tweet?

It's all a bit strange to be honest.
    I don't think even Luca is crazy enough to stop Alonso from celebrating his achievement with Ferrari.

Maybe this ban is similar to the media blackout Ferrari had in one of the past season after poor showing in winter testing, they didn't want the driver to talk about it. Not that it achieved anything positive to be honest. The media blackout drew unnecessary attention and it's just telling everyone that there was a huge problem with the car that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I don't think even Luca is crazy enough to stop Alonso from celebrating his achievement with Ferrari.

Maybe this ban is similar to the media blackout Ferrari had in one of the past season after poor showing in winter testing, they didn't want the driver to talk about it. Not that it achieved anything positive to be honest. The media blackout drew unnecessary attention and it's just telling everyone that there was a huge problem with the car that year.
    You're right, and we are probably looking at this in the wrong way. He's probably banned certain things from Twitter to avoid having a lot of media speculation around some issues which ultimately happen inside every team.

This kinda "Horse" manure, I was not expecting...

Between the recent escalated tensions and the 4-wheeled duds we keep producing of late, for me the writing is on the wall - 2015 Ferdi will be off to McLaren or even RB if Ferrari were preparing to welcome the young apprentice.

I often wonder how many posters in this thread are actually Ferrari fans...

The company that I work for also requests that I not post anything related to them on social media... it's common practice in virtually all companies now.... public image is very important for companies...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

The company that I work for also requests that I not post anything related to them on social media... it's common practice in virtually all companies now.... public image is very important for companies...
    The difference is that these drivers are public figures. They are expected to interact with the fans. It's the very reason why people invest in any of the racing team. Without these public interest, there will be zero value in sponsoring any team.

This is why drivers are required to do PR job. Beyond formal PR job, drivers these days can easily interact with the fans through social media and the fans want that.

Practicing outdated approach of requiring everything to be formal isn't exactly protecting the company image in this situation where fans are involved. This is another difference between a typical corporate vs Formula 1 team. You make everything formal and scripted, that's boring for the fans, nobody reads them. Engaging fans may not be important for most company, but it is important for a sport team

Besides, our PR has been a disaster. Nothing Alonso said in his twitter was ever damaging for the team's image. Same can't be said for Luca's statement.

You posted it just before I had a chance to reply.
    Honestly, I am sad about the things I read here at times.

I work at a company that will not allow me to post anything on social media concerning their activities. It's something I respect and I cannot possibly understand what on earth is the issue about Ferrari doing the same to their drivers.

And in case people forget, Alonso is nothing less or more than a driver in Ferrari's paycheck, having signed numerous NDA's and clauses in a number of contractual aggreements.

To those that don't like the facts, get over it really.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

The difference is that these drivers are public figures. They are expected to interact with the fans. It's the very reason why people invest in any of the racing team. Without these public interest, there will be zero value in sponsoring any team.

This is why drivers are required to do PR job. Beyond formal PR job, drivers these days can easily interact with the fans through social media and the fans want that.

Practicing outdated approach of requiring everything to be formal isn't exactly protecting the company image in this situation where fans are involved. This is another difference between a typical corporate vs Formula 1 team. You make everything formal and scripted, that's boring for the fans, nobody reads them. Engaging fans may not be important for most company, but it is important for a sport team

Besides, our PR has been a disaster. Nothing Alonso said in his twitter was ever damaging for the team's image. Same can't be said for Luca's statement.
    Sure thay're required to do PR jobs, within the limits and guidelines of their employees and not as they see fit.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Practicing outdated approach of requiring everything to be formal isn't exactly protecting the company image in this situation where fans are involved. This is another difference between a typical corporate vs Formula 1 team. You make everything formal and scripted, that's boring for the fans, nobody reads them.

It's not the same for Ferrari though... the significant majority of their marketing expense for road cars comes from fielding a team in F1... and speaking badly against the team or even making taking small backhanded shots at the team by saying you wish to have the car of your competitors is seen as a black mark...

I for one agree one hundred percent with LDM on this one, Alonso works for Ferrari and needs to respect the hand that feeds... when he leaves Ferrari, he is free to do whatever he likes.... but while under contract, he takes orders from the one paying his salary just like the rest of us :)

If it's boring for the fans well I think as Ferrari fans, if it saves us from seeing all this dirty laundry exposed it can't be such a bad thing? I can see why the Alonso centric fans like this type of thing because it allows them to take out their frustrations with Ferrari through Alonso.... but at the end of the day, Ferrari pays his salary and I think that means they have control over the type of discussion Alonso is allowed to make related to their trademark...

Well said and i agree 100%( or should i say 8 out of 10 )

Just because fans question how Ferrari is run at the moment, it is not to say they are not Ferrari fans. We don't love Ferrari because they are third best, or they make constant PR blunders.

We love them because they are a team who should be a force to be reckoned with in F1.

Only Enzo Ferrari is Ferrari.

Everybody else is just a team member for as long as they are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    You posted it just before I had a chance to reply.
    Honestly, I am sad about the things I read here at times.

I work at a company that will not allow me to post anything on social media concerning their activities. It's something I respect and I cannot possibly understand what on earth is the issue about Ferrari doing the same to their drivers.

And in case people forget, Alonso is nothing less or more than a driver in Ferrari's paycheck, having signed numerous NDA's and clauses in a number of contractual aggreements.

To those that don't like the facts, get over it really.
    Yep agreed... It's fairly standard that you would show respect to the team that is paying your salary. If you're not happy with the team, work it out internally, see if you can cancel your contract and go to another team and then say whatever the heck you want.... but while you're getting paid a King's ransom, please respect the rules of the team....

You are totally correct, Luca DI montezemelo is only trying to run the Ferrari organisation in a professional way. Luca is a very successful business man and what he say's is final, if he tells Fernando stop using twitter, then that is what he has to do. Some of you have not got a clue about Montezemelo and what he has achieved, recently he set up the worlds first private High Speed rail travel through Italy costing Billions of pounds, these trains can travel at 360 KM/h the most advanced trains on the planet, oh and by the way the trains are Ferrari Red.

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    Well said and i agree 100%( or should i say 8 out of 10 )

Just because fans question how Ferrari is run at the moment, it is not to say they are not Ferrari fans. We don't love Ferrari because they are third best, or they make constant PR blunders.

We love them because they are a team who should be a force to be reckoned with in F1.

Only Enzo Ferrari is Ferrari.

Everybody else is just a team member for as long as they are useful.
    Just a question, what exactly were you doing during the 20 year drought then when most often times it was considered a victory just to reach 3rd place on the podium?

Mostly playing with small Ferrari cars on the living room floor

Although i have always known F1 on Sunday afternoons the first person i followed, when i could distinguish between drivers, was Senna in the early 90's. And he is still my favorite all time F1 driver.

This is just another way for the media to stir things up and create scandalous stories where there are none. This twitter clamp down is not meant to hurt or insult Alonso, it’s meant to protect Alonso and Ferrari from the media who is always trying to twist Alonso’s words in order to create some stupid stories. Luca just doesn’t want media creating idiotic rumors and stories by twisting Alonso’s words into something he hasn’t said. We've all seen how the media tries to make it look like it's "Alonso VS Ferrari" and that's exactly what Luca is trying to prevent here. It's just a way to cut off media's source for creating stupid libellous stories about Alonso and Ferrari. Alonso can still tweet if he wants to, just not about Ferrari related stuff.
    But of course this story is a nice bone to chew on for all the pathetic Ferrari haters, that'll keep them busy over the cold boring winter. Oh well, moving on...nothing to see here.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

It's not the same for Ferrari though... the significant majority of their marketing expense for road cars comes from fielding a team in F1... and speaking badly against the team or even making taking small backhanded shots at the team by saying you wish to have the car of your competitors is seen as a black mark...

I for one agree one hundred percent with LDM on this one, Alonso works for Ferrari and needs to respect the hand that feeds... when he leaves Ferrari, he is free to do whatever he likes.... but while under contract, he takes orders from the one paying his salary just like the rest of us :)

If it's boring for the fans well I think as Ferrari fans, if it saves us from seeing all this dirty laundry exposed it can't be such a bad thing? I can see why the Alonso centric fans like this type of thing because it allows them to take out their frustrations with Ferrari through Alonso.... but at the end of the day, Ferrari pays his salary and I think that means they have control over the type of discussion Alonso is allowed to make related to their trademark...
    Except that Alonso has never said anything bad against the Ferrari F1 team on his twitter, much less anything about the Ferrari company itself. Even in his press statement, he has always been neutral when it comes to his team mate choice, insisting that Massa is a great team mate but never said no to other drivers.

Another thing to remember is that twitter is no different that when the drivers are talking to the press after qualifying or race. They do not read off any cue cards. So if you're going to bar the driver from talking anything about Ferrari on twitter, might as well bar them from talking to anyone, because Alonso drives for Ferrari, of course anything he says will have something to do with the team.

Look at other team. Why aren't they doing the same old fashion approach to social media as Luca is? Fear it because it's a technology they do not understand.

And as I've said in my first post. Our priority should be winning again. I wonder what is Luca's priority. He's not making Stefano's job any easier with all his public statement here. And people blame Alonso.

Look at other team. Why aren't they doing the same old fashion approach to social media as Luca is? Fear it because it's a technology they do not understand.
    Do you honestly believe that other teams don't censor their drivers social media communications? Of course they do! This story has been blown out of proportion once again just because it's about Ferrari and these stories sell. I don't know what the poor media would do without Ferrari.

Except that Alonso has never said anything bad against the Ferrari F1 team on his twitter, much less anything about the Ferrari company itself. Even in his press statement, he has always been neutral when it comes to his team mate choice, insisting that Massa is a great team mate but never said no to other drivers.

Another thing to remember is that twitter is no different that when the drivers are talking to the press after qualifying or race. They do not read off any cue cards. So if you're going to bar the driver from talking anything about Ferrari on twitter, might as well bar them from talking to anyone, because Alonso drives for Ferrari, of course anything he says will have something to do with the team.

And as I've said in my first post. Our priority should be winning again. I wonder what is Luca's priority. He's not making Stefano's job any easier with all his public statement here. And people blame Alonso.
    Every thing is Fernando's fault including global warming. Everyone should know that by now

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso14 View Post
    And on the other hand Alonso doesn't drink industrial quantities of vodka. Should Ferrari ban Kimi from doing this during his holiday?
    What is your problem? I just commented that they don't have the same problem with their other driver and you start drawing conclusions that Kimi is a drunk. What a man does during his free time is his business as long as he doesn't tarnish the company he works for.

There is a reason behind this madness and that is to have a tighter grip on the PR. LdM really hated the "I want a better car for birthday" -comment and it still shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Do you honestly believe that other teams don't censor their drivers social media communications? Of course they do! This story has been blown out of proportion once again just because it's about Ferrari and these stories sell. I don't know what the poor media would do without Ferrari.
    One thing's for sure, they do not put their dirty laundry out on display. What the media did is nothing new, but Ferrari's own PR statement has been giving the fuel to all of this.

Had we not talk about the ear tweaking thing and everything else since then, there would not have been any story to write about. Same thing when Luca talk about Massa's twin brother driving or his warning to Massa this year. These comments ended up fueling the speculation regarding Massa's future.

If Luca have problems with his drivers, he should do it internally. Not release PR statement about it.

There is a big difference between what your employers, and other teams, do, and what LDM did.

Companies usually tell you that you can't post anything about them on social media the minute you start working with them, infact they'd normally write it down in your contract of employment.

In this case, LDM has allowed Fernando to tweet to his heart's contempt for a year, and has suddenly decided to ban him. It means that the ban is not part of company policy, rather a reaction to something he didn't like (don't ask me what that was because I have followed his tweets since day one and cannot remember anything substantially offensive towards the team).

Massa used to tweet, and use Instagram, as well. There obviously never was any company policy stopping drivers from doing so.

Ok but I make the point again that Ferrari pays Alonso's contract and they are allowed to make this decision to protect their brand. It's not archaic as many public companies do this and Alonso has made comments, such as the one that I stated about wishing to be in his competitors car that is potentially damaging and created quite a controversy...

Ferrari fans don't like hearing negative news and Ferrari owes nothing to the other fans... this story is completely harmless, Ferrari have done what many other companies do... and it's, once again, being blown out of proportion by Alonso fans and non-Ferrari fans... There is no duty of full disclosure to the fans and clearly Ferrari were getting fed up with Alonso's quotes coming out wrong or being misinterpretted by the media, so they took the right course of action.... there is nothing wrong with what they did, they pay his salary and it's common practice....

If Alonso doesn't like it, he has the right to leave and then blast the team when he does.... while he's being paid, he should focus on his job, which he is doing a very good job at....

Alonso has made comments, such as the one that I stated about wishing to be in his competitors car that is potentially damaging and created quite a controversy...
    That wasn't even on Twitter as far as I know.

One thing's for sure, they do not put their dirty laundry out on display. What the media did is nothing new, but Ferrari's own PR statement has been giving the fuel to all of this.

Had we not talk about the ear tweaking thing and everything else since then, there would not have been any story to write about. Same thing when Luca talk about Massa's twin brother driving or his warning to Massa this year. These comments ended up fueling the speculation regarding Massa's future.

If Luca have problems with his drivers, he should do it internally. Not release PR statement about it.
    I can assure you that Luca doesn't have any problems with his drivers, but he does have a big problem with the media who are like a pack of hyenas ready to jump at every chance they get to make another stupid story about Ferrari and try to twist and turn every word that comes out of Alonso's mouth into something negative. During this entire year I haven't heard anything else but ridiculous stories about how "Ferrari hates and bullies poor Alonso" and how "Alonso hates Ferrari and wants to leave" and now Luca has simply had enough of this nonsense, as have I.

maybe Fernando should from now on give only pre-recorded interviews (recorded with emperor Luca di's voice) and have no opinion of his own, since it tarnishes Ferrari's reputation. too bad that Ferrari drivers can't do anything for their fans anymore, since they have to focus on their jobs.
    not gonna change my profile picture

LDM is beginning to show signs of old age in his statements this year...
    (I'm sugarcoating "he's becoming an old fool like Bernie" here... :D I still respect him, don't get me completely wrong... But for some unexplainable reason he seems to have a grudge against Alonso, while he did nothing wrong - at least nothing that we, the public are aware of. Anyway, even if there *was* something, it seems unlikely that we wouldn't know about it, since LDM seems more than happy to publicly slack Alonso these days...)

Ok but I make the point again that Ferrari pays Alonso's contract and they are allowed to make this decision to protect their brand. It's not archaic as many public companies do this and Alonso has made comments, such as the one that I stated about wishing to be in his competitors car that is potentially damaging and created quite a controversy...

Ferrari fans don't like hearing negative news and Ferrari owes nothing to the other fans... this story is completely harmless, Ferrari have done what many other companies do... and it's, once again, being blown out of proportion by Alonso fans and non-Ferrari fans... There is no duty of full disclosure to the fans and clearly Ferrari were getting fed up with Alonso's quotes coming out wrong or being misinterpretted by the media, so they took the right course of action.... there is nothing wrong with what they did, they pay his salary and it's common practice....

If Alonso doesn't like it, he has the right to leave and then blast the team when he does.... while he's being paid, he should focus on his job, which he is doing a very good job at....
    Nothing of what you wrote has anything to do with Alonso's twitter. He is harmless to Ferrari on twitter.

Luca di Montezemolo has found the best way to get Fernando Alonso fed up. I can't imagine the situation if 2014 is, again, another bad year. Honestly, I'm starting to think LdM is trying to force Alonso out at the end of 2014. Stupid Twitter decision, in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Nothing of what you wrote has anything to do with Alonso's twitter. He is harmless to Ferrari on twitter.
    Ok, so then there's nothing to worry about... Ferrari made a decision as Alonso's employer that really doesn't have much implication to anyone since Alonso has never said anything wrong on twitter and his tweets about samurai's and what not are not exactly world making news so why does anyone care?

Ok, so then there's nothing to worry about... Ferrari made a decision as Alonso's employer that really doesn't have much implication to anyone since Alonso has never said anything wrong on twitter and his tweets about samurai's and what not are not exactly world making news so why does anyone care?
    because going public with this humilates Fernando
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    There is a big difference between what your employers, and other teams, do, and what LDM did.

Companies usually tell you that you can't post anything about them on social media the minute you start working with them, infact they'd normally write it down in your contract of employment.

In this case, LDM has allowed Fernando to tweet to his heart's contempt for a year, and has suddenly decided to ban him. It means that the ban is not part of company policy, rather a reaction to something he didn't like (don't ask me what that was because I have followed his tweets since day one and cannot remember anything substantially offensive towards the team).

Massa used to tweet, and use Instagram, as well. There obviously never was any company policy stopping drivers from doing so.
    That's a very good point. Our drivers have been allowed to use social media all the while. Doesn't seem to be some kind of internal policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    I can assure you that Luca doesn't have any problems with his drivers, but he does have a big problem with the media who are like a pack of hyenas ready to jump at every chance they get to make another stupid story about Ferrari and try to twist and turn every word that comes out of Alonso's mouth into something negative. During this entire year I haven't heard anything else but ridiculous stories about how "Ferrari hates and bullies poor Alonso" and how "Alonso hates Ferrari and wants to leave" and now Luca has simply had enough of this nonsense, as have I.
    I understand that and I completely agree that the media have been trying to write all sort of stories about Alonso leaving Ferrari, which Alonso have denied many times. I just feel that the public statement Luca has been making however, only served to fuel those rumors instead.