Thread: Alonso wants a third before retiring!!

Alonso wants a third before retiring!!

Fernando Alonso says he won't consider walking away from Formula One until he has that third World title.

The 32-year-old won his back-to-back titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006.

Falling short of the mark during his year with McLaren and his subsequent return to Renault, Alonso moved to Ferrari in 2010.

That has also failed to yield success with his best result being three runner-up finishes.

Alonso told BBC Sport: "We are still hungry for success, waiting for our opportunity to become Champion.

"This is the main goal and you don't think of retiring until you get some satisfaction."

He added: "It is something I am working for and hoping for.

"Three titles means a step. It is not that I'm not happy with two but the third puts you in a list of very important names.

"I have been close twice and hopefully the next opportunity we have we don't miss it again."

Pressed as to how many years of racing he has left in him, he said: "I think I can carry on long enough to win and to be competitive for some good years.

"I don't know how many - three, five, seven. I don't think it should be any problem."

The double World Champion also spoke of his relationship with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, adamant that they are on good terms despite speculation to the contrary.

"We talk very, very often, once a week, and when it is a race weekend we talk three times during the weekend. Sometimes I talk more with him than with my family.

"We know when the results are not coming everything you say will be interpreted in the wrong way, and the same for him. But definitely there are zero problems."

He also backed Ferrari to turn their fortunes around, confident the team can give him a Championship-winning car.

"I must, and I need to, believe. There is the potential there. We have all the ingredients and we just need to put them all together.

"I am very proud to be part of this team and I know that winning with Ferrari will mean more than winning with another team and it is something we want to do."
    http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/1822...efore-retiring
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Good, the thought of him retiring after this season can be put to rest now. Glad he wants to stay in Ferrari.

I have said it all the time: he will not leave because he sees winning the WDC in a Ferrari as the highest he can achieve. He wants it.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

its so sad.. he should have 5-7 if we could give him a half decent car. He should go down in history as one of the best every and its unfortunate the Vettell is ahead of him.
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    its so sad.. he should have 5-7 if we could give him a half decent car. He should go down in history as one of the best every and its unfortunate the Vettell is ahead of him.

He and his team mates had the half decent car. Vettel unfortunately had the extraordinary good car.

The fact that he had the half decent car and could still do what he did, and still does, is why he will be remembered as one of the greats.

Vettel with his 4 titles still needs to a bit more to reach the level of reverence as many of the WDC with less titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    I have said it all the time: he will not leave because he sees winning the WDC in a Ferrari as the highest he can achieve. He wants it.
    Iwish him more than one more with Ferrari.

Alonso unsure how long he’ll keep enjoying F1 :F1 Fanatic

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/0...ic-round-0606/

What's with these contrasting statements (or is it?),whatever it is Alonso needs more than 2 ,just doesn't justifies his performances.

Quote Originally Posted by sachin View Post
    Alonso unsure how long he’ll keep enjoying F1 :F1 Fanatic

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/06/0...ic-round-0606/

What's with these contrasting statements (or is it?),whatever it is Alonso needs more than 2 ,just doesn't justifies his performances.
    He's unsure how long he will enjoy F1 because of the new rules...

"You push two laps and then you save tyres until the next stop. Sometimes you don't even push. This is not something racing drivers like to do.

"It is not a problem of how long you can keep this level, it's a problem of how much fun I will have driving those cars in the future."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27669502

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

While we will remember him as a great history will place Vettel above him. and that is just not true.. its really sad. Its like looking at Jacques Villeneuve and Jenson Button their 1 wdc was not really worthy but his name will always be in the books
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    While we will remember him as a great history will place Vettel above him. and that is just not true.. its really sad. Its like looking at Jacques Villeneuve and Jenson Button their 1 wdc was not really worthy but his name will always be in the books
    Yep, you got a point there. I honestly still can't believe that Jenson Button is an F1 Champion, talk about fluke wins, eh ...but that's neither here nor there.
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Yep, you got a point there. I honestly still can't believe that Jenson Button is an F1 Champion, talk about fluke wins, eh ...but that's neither here nor there.
    Yes to be honest I can't take that title very serious! But I know after 40 years from now how he won that title.
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

even if he doesnt

win another, he will be remembered as a driver that could overcome and achieve points. was it in the last race that he had brake problems and still gathered good points. he wont leave Scuderia and has stated all along that he will retire with this team. when the car improves (and it will) he will have a realistic chance to chase #3. hopefully both he and Kimi will get another each. Forza!!!!!

Alonso wants a third before retiring!!

5 titles he would have had with a fraction of luck, but that's how it is. People like us who have watched him race would know the real Fernando Alonso but statistics won't do justice to him.

Even, if he doesn't, I will still think of him as our 2012 champion, just like Felipe was our 2008 champion.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    Even, if he doesn't, I will still think of him as our 2012 champion, just like Felipe was our 2008 champion.
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Thumbs up Great interview with Fernando...

KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

2010 and 2012 you mean ;)
    “The Ferrari is a dream - people dream of owning this special vehicle and for most people it will remain a dream apart from for those lucky few.” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Unfortunately, those are not counted.....