Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula One suffering global TV ratings decline

Formula One suffering global TV ratings decline

Formula One’s television ratings in key markets are strikingly down in 2014.

Writing in the Spanish sports daily Marca, correspondent Miguel Sanz said the most worrying figures are coming out of Latin America, where the ratings decline has been a staggering 50 percent.

“In Italy,” he added, “depending on the successes of Ferrari, the drop is 20 percent based on data from the first five races of 2014.”
    A closer look at Italy is even more worrying. Considering only the Canadian Grand Prix, the combined losses by broadcasters Rai and Sky in just a single year was almost 3.5 million viewers.

“Spain, always with an eye on Fernando Alonso, is at a 15-percent decline,” said Sanz.

The analysis indicated that the ratings decline began with Sebastian Vettel’s utter dominance a few years ago, when the global audience fell from 515 million in 2011 to 500 million in 2012.

And Bernie Ecclestone’s FOM company revealed a further drop of 50 million viewers last year, ending with a nine-race winning streak by the Red Bull driver.

Sanz said major markets in China and France have not helped the situation, when the Chinese state broadcaster CCTV’s coverage ended, while France moved to pay TV.

Germany’s ratings decline was reportedly 10 percent last year, but it has continued to drop a further 3 percent in 2014, despite the prominence not only of Mercedes, but also the top form of championship leader Nico Rosberg.

If you ask former F1 team boss Flavio Briatore, the big problem in 2014 is the regulations.

“What we have now is not Formula One. Formula One is something else,” he told Italy’s Radio24 after the Canadian Grand Prix.

“The audience is clearly enjoying it a lot less, because there are cars that do not make much noise.

“There are drivers who save fuel, drivers who only do ‘fake’ overtaking when their wing flap is open. Drivers who are doing their accounting in the car rather than being gladiators,” Briatore charged.

F1 chief executive Ecclestone has also been highly critical of F1’s new era, and particularly the quieter V6 engines.

But he is not overly worried about the TV numbers.

“I was talking to the people from RTL television in Germany,” Ecclestone told Forbes last month.

“They said it is surprising that across everything they do, television ratings are down,” he is quoted by F1 business journalist Christian Sylt.

“Why? Because people have only got so much time. They are using Facebook, Twitter ... there are so many things people can watch.

“You see the ratings have gone down, but in the end they will go back to watching television,” Ecclestone added.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140611/F1/140619973?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Maybe Flavio could take over FOM from Bernie, Lauda doesn't want the job. I think Flavio has that "big picture" mentality that's needed to guide F1!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

_45333632_renaulttitle2005.jpg

BRING FLAVIO BACK!

Year 2000: R.I.P Formula 1

There is also quite a trend of people dumping conventional cable and satellite TV providers in favor or online streaming.

Either way, the fair weather fan will tune out when a team struggles or when the sport as a whole is no longer what attracted them to it in the first place. If the rules continue in the direction that they are headed now, sooner or later ticket sales will suffer as well.

Only the die hard masochists... I mean fans, like us will continue on.

Whilst Flav may have some valid points to make over the nature of F1 driving these days I think the car noise issue – or lack of it – has surely been put to bed now?
    I’m going to the British GP so will be able to make my own mind up about that, but hearing the cars on TV so far has made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the sport.
    Selling F1 to Sky was perhaps rather more of a mistake than Bernie anticipated in terms of viewing figures and that’s presumably because of the nature of Sky TV – many people have a problem with Sky and either cannot or will not pay the required fees.
    That and the predictability of the race outcome hanging over from the last few years; drivers are not winning/ losing races, cars and their designers are. That’s OK, but fans don’t like to feel they’re being conned.

I consider my self die hard fan, but I am getting more and more indifferent...
    sound is awfull, I cannot get used to it, and all those green, hybrid staff..... That is just not racing!

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Either way, the fair weather fan will tune out ....
    I beg to differ.. i do not bother to watch the races anymore because what is the point. The chances of us winning a race is almost 0. I am here to watch Ferrari win and that is it. If we do not have a snowballs chance in hell then i have better things to do in life that waste 2 hours watching Formula Vettel or Formula Mercedes or Formula Brawn. complete dominance is wasted.
    we're number one

The noise does it for me. Never got around to seeing an F1 car in the flesh, only started watching full time in 2010. I miss the V8 starts, 7000 rpm idle, all the cars sounding like a crazy bees nest or something. Honestly my heart rate went way up when the red lights came on, it doesn't happen any more. The SLS AMG is louder than the race cars, when your safety car is louder than the F1 cars, you've got a problem.

For all the people around the world who watch F1, does anyone know the percentage of Ferrari TV fans. I have never heard of any percentages but if If I was to guess I would say 40 per cent want Ferrari to win...

no one cares about Mercedes winning all the time. It's much worse than RB being dominant. Back then only one car was winning since Webber was crap but now rest of the teams only battle for 3rd spot. Lets face it, Mercedes will fix the overheating problem and continue to dominate

Only way to ever stop dominance is making all cars the same, is that what some fans want?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    I beg to differ.. i do not bother to watch the races anymore because what is the point. The chances of us winning a race is almost 0. I am here to watch Ferrari win and that is it. If we do not have a snowballs chance in hell then i have better things to do in life that waste 2 hours watching Formula Vettel or Formula Mercedes or Formula Brawn. complete dominance is wasted.
    Beg to differ with what? You just proved my point did you not? If you are there only to see Ferrari win, you are a fair weather fan, choosing to only support the team in good time. If you are not watching because its a "Waste" then you are tuning out.

You just supported my argument so what exactly are you differing with?

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Only way to ever stop dominance is making all cars the same, is that what some fans want?
    I think the testing bans and homologation rules cause a lot of problems for F1's dream of parity. As we see today, the Mercedes team nailed the engine and chassis from day one, but the other teams are prevented from changing their designs, so there can be no real challenge for the WDC or WCC in 2014. The refueling ban and tire choice restrictions also prevent teams from using extreme strategy options that might help them maximize their cars' strengths. I do not believe creating a "spec series" style of F1 is necessary. A less restrictive rulebook will bring back engineering and development to the cars throughout the season and it would give teams many more options.

We dominated when the rules were very open though.
    Forza Ferrari

Yes, you are correct, but the other teams were not prohibited from developing new designs to close the gap.

I seem to recall that most of the outcry to Ferrari's dominance was centered around costs and that the ability to use a private test track, not design or engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    That is the definition of a fair-weather fan...

Sometimes the sport is about more than watching your team win. That is what makes F1 different than Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, etc. It is a very very different game.

The technology in these cars this year is astonishing. If someone has a problem with the noise or the gap to Mercedes well that is childish. Go try to understand what is going on under the engine cover. It will blow your mind. And let's not forget, we will all be driving cars with these types of powerplants in them in 10 years time. That is why F1 exists, for road car development. The whole sport is an Engineering lesson.

Formula 1 to me is 2 hours I get to myself with the TV every couple Sundays. It's about the build up, the upgrade rumors, good, bad or indifferent. I get to watch the best drivers in the world drive their hearts out. Watch pit wall strategy that no other motorsport can compare to, and even if the cars are slower they are still the quickest cars in the world. (BTW, go check the pole position time at Canada versus the pole time over the past 10-20 years. Then you will see how amazing these cars are, with a 1.6L engine and 25% less downforce.

This is why you love the sport, not just to root for Ferrari, but because you are a fan of the sport itself. Now I would like to have my cake and eat it too, but you can't always get what you want. But sometimes watching a girtty drive from Fernando for 4th place is the maximum and you accept that and appreciate the effort, skill and focus the man puts in week after week. Gain pride from that. It is not always about the win. There are 20 other cars trying to win just as hard as us. Sometimes you just get outmatched.
    Forza Ferrari!!

I wonder what the worldwide TV ratings looked like then. I don't recall it being a problem. Seems like just the opposite, F1 became more popular than ever worldwide.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    That is the definition of a fair-weather fan...

Sometimes the sport is about more than watching your team win. That is what makes F1 different than Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, etc. It is a very very different game.

The technology in these cars this year is astonishing. If someone has a problem with the noise or the gap to Mercedes well that is childish. Go try to understand what is going on under the engine cover. It will blow your mind. And let's not forget, we will all be driving cars with these types of powerplants in them in 10 years time. That is why F1 exists, for road car development. The whole sport is an Engineering lesson.

Formula 1 to me is 2 hours I get to myself with the TV every couple Sundays. It's about the build up, the upgrade rumors, good, bad or indifferent. I get to watch the best drivers in the world drive their hearts out. Watch pit wall strategy that no other motorsport can compare to, and even if the cars are slower they are still the quickest cars in the world. (BTW, go check the pole position time at Canada versus the pole time over the past 10-20 years. Then you will see how amazing these cars are, with a 1.6L engine and 25% less downforce.

This is why you love the sport, not just to root for Ferrari, but because you are a fan of the sport itself. Now I would like to have my cake and eat it too, but you can't always get what you want. But sometimes watching a girtty drive from Fernando for 4th place is the maximum and you accept that and appreciate the effort, skill and focus the man puts in week after week. Gain pride from that. It is not always about the win. There are 20 other cars trying to win just as hard as us. Sometimes you just get outmatched.
    Agreed, but this drop doesn't mean the hard core fans are the ones tuning out. More than likely it's the casual fan.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Do you guys think if we had A) in season testing and B) freedom to develop on all fronts and C) V8's, V10's or any choice of engine and D) no fuel flow limits:

1) F1 ratings would increase
    2) we would out develope everyone else and win Drivers & Constructors championships
    Last edited by ALO; 12th June 2014 at 21:59. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    Do you guys think if we had A) in season testing and B) freedom to develop on all fronts and C) V8's, V10's or any choice of engine and D) no fuel flow limits:

1) F1 ratings would increase
    2) we would out develope everyone else and win Drivers & Constructors championships
    Answer to question number 1: YES

Answer to question number 2: YES
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Ive been a diehard fan since the 70's. Funny thing, I really dont care this year if a miss races...
    Now for me, thats really strange. Flav is just saying what everyone else is saying.
    F1 just aint F1 no mo.
    Now, whens Lemans?

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    Whilst Flav may have some valid points to make over the nature of F1 driving these days I think the car noise issue – or lack of it – has surely been put to bed now?
    I’m going to the British GP so will be able to make my own mind up about that, but hearing the cars on TV so far has made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the sport.
    Selling F1 to Sky was perhaps rather more of a mistake than Bernie anticipated in terms of viewing figures and that’s presumably because of the nature of Sky TV – many people have a problem with Sky and either cannot or will not pay the required fees.
    That and the predictability of the race outcome hanging over from the last few years; drivers are not winning/ losing races, cars and their designers are. That’s OK, but fans don’t like to feel they’re being conned.
    I've heard it said that in person it's still pretty good, just doesn't make your ears bleed, will be interested to hear your take on it.

I wonder how much viewership is actually down? There has to be a significant number that have decided to "live stream" for free rather than pay for a subscription.
    Some of the data on subscription costs seems rather inaccurate or at least incomplete. It lists the US cost as something like 750 USD/year. In reality, I already subscribe to a base cable package & it's $5.00 a month extra for the channel (NBC Sports Network) that shows F1, but I also get all their other content PLUS about 10 other channels at least & I actually got it for NHL hockey, so when the F1 season started, it was basically a bonus! If it were to cost $750 for just F1, I would probably consider live streaming myself.

Anyhow, I still watch & get excited no matter who's dominating, just wish the cameras would stay still occasionally just to give a feel of the rest of the field behind P1 & P2, instead of "chasing" those 2 round the track.

When I started following F1, there was NO TV COVERAGE, so by those standards I'm pretty happy. Notice I said following, not watching, as I initially followed by reading a monthly article in Road & Track magazine (probably near 2 months behind the events!)

Right now I'm posting here & using airplay to stream a program on the 24 hours of Le Mans from my computer to my AppleTV to my HDTV - nearly autosport heaven!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

The difference between today and the past is that we would have some hope of a miracle due to being allowed to do anything and hence catch up. . Today f1 titles decided in feb/march and then its all over with no testing. I miss the days of Ferrari flying in an engine just for qualy as a one off. F1 is determining its own fate, it is trying to appeal to a new fan, rather than consolidating its real fans, the former are fickle and whilst losing those latter fans who fell in love with the essence of an f1 gone by, this sport is headed for problems. Ps I have been watching f1 since 1992. Only in the past few years have I failed to watch a race at the televised time. This year I am yet to watch a whole race.

Blame is squarely at jean Todt and the fias feet. We were better off with max Mosley.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    ...This is why you love the sport, not just to root for Ferrari, but because you are a fan of the sport itself. Now I would like to have my cake and eat it too, but you can't always get what you want. But sometimes watching a girtty drive from Fernando for 4th place is the maximum and you accept that and appreciate the effort, skill and focus the man puts in week after week. Gain pride from that. It is not always about the win. There are 20 other cars trying to win just as hard as us. Sometimes you just get outmatched.
    Slow

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

TV ratings were already in decline in 2012 but Flavio blames 2014 regulations? I couldn't care less which engines they are using, for me it's all about the racing and the excitement. And to make the season more exciting maybe removing the test ban is a good idea so that results of race 1 don't necessarily set the tone for races 2-20. I think that is the most important reason why viewer rates are dropping, and why I skipped a few qualifying sessions myself lately. You just knew what was going to happen.
    Last edited by F2008; 13th June 2014 at 08:18.

That is what you get when the people in charge of F1 is in it for their own gain and not in it for F1.

Bernie made a success of F1 in the direction that he took F1 way back then. All decisions was made to make F1 the pinnacle of motorsport. Decisions about TV coverage was to expand the global audience numbers and make it with in reach of the average Joe.

Now it is all about politics and corruption. It is about how much Bernie can stuff into his own pockets. ( and yes i know that Bernie has long time ago stopped doing what is best for F1 and not just now) Hence tracks that appeal to no one and in countries that does not form the base of global F1 fan base.

Flavio is correct in his assumption that people want to see gladiators dueling like it used to be in the days of old. People want excitement and daring and the modern F1 is just too sterile.

Flavio is getting old, F1 should bring him back while it's not too late!

Is that how Ferrari dominance stopped?
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Ive been a diehard fan since the 70's. Funny thing, I really dont care this year if a miss races...
    Now for me, thats really strange. Flav is just saying what everyone else is saying.
    F1 just aint F1 no mo.
    Now, whens Lemans?
    Amen to that.
    Why is it so hard to some people to admit that the way F1 is going is simply a destructive way?

When people stop watching, there's something wrong with the picture, it does not matter if people agree or not.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Beg to differ with what? You just proved my point did you not? If you are there only to see Ferrari win, you are a fair weather fan, choosing to only support the team in good time. If you are not watching because its a "Waste" then you are tuning out.

You just supported my argument so what exactly are you differing with?
    your definition of fair weather fan..A fair weather fan is one that will support another team when the original team is down..
    By your definition I would be watching F1 and supporting Merc or Red Bull which I am not.
    we're number one