Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austrian GP 2014 Team news & quotes

Austrian GP 2014 Team news & quotes

Austria, into the Bullring

Maranello, 16 June – Sunday sees the 27th running of the Austrian Grand Prix. The race was first held on an “L” shaped track at the Zeltweg Airfield. Italy’s Lorenzo Bandini won at the wheel of a Ferrari 156 F1-63. However, the location was abandoned as the track was made of concrete and not asphalt and was not up to the task. The race returned to the calendar in 1970 at the new Osterreichring circuit, almost 6 kilometres in length, winding its way through the climbs and drops that linked the villages of Zeltweg and Spielberg. Formula 1 last raced on that layout in 1987 before returning a decade later with a new shorter 4.3 kilometre track, renamed the A1 Ring. The last race held in Spielberg was in 2003. Now it returns to the same track layout with a renovated and modernised infrastructure, the work being undertaken by Red Bull. Ferrari has won five times in Austria, which is a hit rate of 19%, the first of these, as mentioned already, courtesy of Bandini. The Scuderia won again when the Osterreichring opened its doors, thanks to Belgium’s Jacky Ickx, who headed home a one-two with Switzerland’s Clay Regazzoni, the two cars crossing the line just 61 hundredths of a second apart.

Almost 30 years later in 1999, Eddie Irvine won for Ferrari in the F399, making the most of an internecine conflict at McLaren, which saw championship leader Mika Hakkinen retire. The other two wins came courtesy of Michael Schumacher in 2002 and 2003, the latter coming after a bit of a scare. When team-mate Rubens Barrichello pitted, his refueling equipment did not work and so his F2003-GA had to be fueled from Schumacher’s rig. When the German came in shortly afterwards, there was still some fuel left in the nozzle from Barrichello’s stop and it caught fire with flames shooting from the car. Schumacher didn’t flinch and stayed in the cockpit, keeping an eye on the Ferrari mechanics, who very calmly extinguished the fire, sending Schumacher on his way with the loss of just a few seconds. Michael rejoined third and went on to win the race.
    Along with Jenson Button and Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen make up the quartet of current drivers who have raced here before in Formula 1.

See more at: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/aus....HyCgrBwz.dpuf
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Nice to see Lorenzo Bandini get a mention, although it makes me feel very old! Not much chance of a win this time around but mai dare sulla speranza!

All I can wish for this weekend is that we BEAT them Bulls into the ground at their homebase ...
    And those members here who are going to Austria: have a nice trip and enjoy our beer and traditional meals (I strictly recommend: Kaiserschmarren and Bratenfettenbrot) ...
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Oh my, high down force, low abrasion, and low temperatures. Sounds like a recipe for a bad weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Oh my, high down force, low abrasion, and low temperatures. Sounds like a recipe for a bad weekend.
    why are the tires the same this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Maybe with low temperatures we can use those new parts for whole weekend and not just in practices.

So Fernando, Kimi, and Jenson are the only active drivers to have raced the A1 Ring. I seriously hope this experience turns out to be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by killer View Post
    So Fernando, Kimi, and Jenson are the only active drivers to have raced the A1 Ring. I seriously hope this experience turns out to be a factor.
    ..so Ferrari 1-2 coming up this weekend???

that would be so sweeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    ..so Ferrari 1-2 coming up this weekend???

that would be so sweeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It would but all indications point to this GP being a colder version of Canada so things will not be easy. I'm just hoping track knowledge plays some sort of role, as we have the advantage in that area.

Ferrari has potential to start closing the gap - Allison

Ferrari technical director James Allison believes his team has made progress in recent races but that it will need all of its updates to deliver at the coming races to start challenging its rivals regularly.

Ferrari has scored just one podium this year and has been battling with Force India and McLaren for points at recent races, rather than Canadian Grand Prix winners Red Bull and the dominant Mercedes. Allison admits his team is playing catch-up this year but is optimistic it is now in a position to start closing the gap to the front.

"Every season is dominated by the efforts back at the factory to try to improve the package that you have," he said. "If you're in front you work to stay in front and if you're not, then your efforts are aimed at bullying your way up the grid. We're not in front currently and we're doing our level best across every aspect of the car: mechanically, aerodynamically, electronically, every single component, set up wise, everything we can do to try to improve is being done.

"In recent races we have brought more upgrades than usual to the track and this has actually improved our position marginally. We just need to keep fighting the same fight, we have upgrade plans race by race. If we do a good job with all of those, it will start to tell and we will start to see the Ferrari run more consistently relatively to the opposition and start to look like something we can be more proud of. But it's not an easy fight, and it's a fight that never ends."

Allison said this weekend's grand prix in Austria would be a bit of unknown after 11 years without a Formula One race at the circuit.

"We cannot be sure what to expect but, as at any of the tracks this year, management of the Option in qualifying will be extremely important. You need to ensure you get the tyre prepared for a hot lap in Q2, while being sure the tyre can then cope with the first stint of the race."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

So has Felipe.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    So has Felipe.
    Ah yes.

I don\t think that is going to be factor. This track is pretty simple....

"...Jacky Ickx, who headed home a one-two with Switzerland’s Clay Regazzoni..."
    Ah, what memories, the first two Ferrari drivers I ever cheered for!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    So has Felipe.
    Ha ha, I thought that too, can we possibly hope for a completely clean race and a really decent result for him, he deserves it just as much as we do with Nando and Kimi. Time for change, I think!

via Sutton

I'm glad Red Bull decided to resurrect this circuit. It's such an amazing track, it was a shame to see the state it was after 2004. Something about the layout that I really enjoy, and it has great scenery as well, something which IMO is very rare today among the newer tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I'm glad Red Bull decided to resurrect this circuit. It's such an amazing track, it was a shame to see the state it was after 2004. Something about the layout that I really enjoy, and it has great scenery as well, something which IMO is very rare today among the newer tracks.
    Completely agree with you!

Ya, it sort of reminds me of Spa, which I absolutely adore.

F1 show biz 2016 :
    Toto - "Ferrari are a real threat" .... Nico - "Awesome, everything is just awesome" .....Lulu - "Mental strength man, lifestyle man, I'll drive at 400% as ever man".... and then suddenly a wild Bull out of nowhere slams into a Ferrari.

just got it in GT6 tonight, great to race around it.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Looking forward to trying it out. Certainly more exciting news than the new (Nissan I think) concept car

I am just about to fire up my PSP and Gt6 and give it a try.

Rob, I have downloaded 1.09 update, raced around Madrid for WV GT concept car, but I cannot find anywhere A1 Red Bull Ring?!?! Where is it?!?!?!

Remember this?

And despite all that Schumi still managed to take a brilliant win... I really miss those good old times. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Remember this?

And despite all that Schumi still managed to take a brilliant win... I really miss those good old times. *sigh*
    Sure I do! That was an amazing race! By the way I have DVD (full race) of all Ferrari F1 wins since (including) 1994 German GP. Al thou there are some that I don't have, because I had them on old VHS tapes, and when I was trying to copy them on DVD, tape was mixed up and I ended up missing few...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Sure I do! That was an amazing race!
    Yep, it certainly was an amazing race. I can't believe that it was 11 years ago, feels like I just watched that race yesterday lol.

Sadly today if we had refueling the time lost in the pits would not be enough of a penalty for the FIA and we would get a drive through and grid drop. :/
    Forza Ferrari!!

take a seat and make your own trip around Austrian RedBull Ring

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.2201...-VCtCA!2e0!3e5
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.