Thread: New Ferrari boss hires 10 experts

New Ferrari boss hires 10 experts

MARANELLO, Italy - Ferrari has floored the throttle in its push to emerge from its 2014 Formula 1 slump.

Eric Boullier, also pushing to end fellow grandee McLaren's struggle, predicted a long recovery for the fabled Maranello outfit.

Boullier said: "It will take them a lot of time to get back on top. Why? I'll keep that to myself."

'RE-DESIGNING ORGANISATION'

Ferrari is certainly making sweeping and significant changes. La Gazzetta dello Sport has reported that, in the previous few days, ten new engineers started work at Ferrari's HQ in Maranello, among them three engine experts from dominant Mercedes.

The report also claimed Ferrari had successfully wooed three aerodynamicists from reigning quadruple Formula 1 champion Red Bull, as well as a simulation expert.

Team boss Marco Mattiacci said: "I've ordered a strong discontinuity on the technical side."

The head of Ferrari's current engine chief, Luca Marmorini, is expected to roll.

Mattiacci insisted: "I do not name names but we are re-designing our organisation."

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/New-F...erts-20140707?
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Obviously some thing need to change. New boss is (will) always let some people....

Personally i had no problems with Domenicalli but im starting to really like the decisions Mattiaci is making, he is way more aggressive and doesnt wait like Sefano did.
    Maybe thats the key point that we need in order to put the whole team on track and make them work to the 110% of their capabilities.

Just further proof how poor SD was for us. I actually chuckled when I read posts in the British GP Qualy thread ironically saying it's Stefano's fault. Well, that particular qualy session was not but generally, yes - it's his fault. MM going out and hiring 10 engineers (and wooing countless more) just stresses how deeply rooted our problems are. It was SD's job to decide who works in team, it's beyond me how some people absolve him of any blame.

If you are the CEO of the phone company and the produces a phone with flawed display display that stops working after a month - who do you think the board will blame? Do you think they'll say "You're doing a fantastic job, go fire the lads who worked on the display"

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    MARANELLO, Italy - Ferrari has floored the throttle in its push to emerge from its 2014 Formula 1 slump.

Eric Boullier, also pushing to end fellow grandee McLaren's struggle, predicted a long recovery for the fabled Maranello outfit.

Boullier said: "It will take them a lot of time to get back on top. Why? I'll keep that to myself."

'RE-DESIGNING ORGANISATION'

Ferrari is certainly making sweeping and significant changes. La Gazzetta dello Sport has reported that, in the previous few days, ten new engineers started work at Ferrari's HQ in Maranello, among them three engine experts from dominant Mercedes.

The report also claimed Ferrari had successfully wooed three aerodynamicists from reigning quadruple Formula 1 champion Red Bull, as well as a simulation expert.

Team boss Marco Mattiacci said: "I've ordered a strong discontinuity on the technical side."

The head of Ferrari's current engine chief, Luca Marmorini, is expected to roll.

Mattiacci insisted: "I do not name names but we are re-designing our organisation."

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/New-F...erts-20140707?
    really glad for these news So maybe there is hope for 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso14 View Post
    Just further proof how poor SD was for us. I actually chuckled when I read posts in the British GP Qualy thread ironically saying it's Stefano's fault. Well, that particular qualy session was not but generally, yes - it's his fault. MM going out and hiring 10 engineers (and wooing countless more) just stresses how deeply rooted our problems are. It was SD's job to decide who works in team, it's beyond me how some people absolve him of any blame.

If you are the CEO of the phone company and the produces a phone with flawed display display that stops working after a month - who do you think the board will blame? Do you think they'll say "You're doing a fantastic job, go fire the lads who worked on the display"
    A little too early to judge, don't you think? Hiring new people doesn't guarantee success. The team under Stefano have hired many people as well, including James Allison which many here believe will turn things around.

Hasn't Lauda already denied this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    A little too early to judge, don't you think? Hiring new people doesn't guarantee success. The team under Stefano have hired many people as well, including James Allison which many here believe will turn things around.
    +1
    Forza Ferrari

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Majki2111 View Post
    Hasn't Lauda already denied this?
    I think I read somewhere Lauda said all the important people at Mercedes have not left. So you can twist that any way you want.

Agreed. But hey, it'll be just as easy to turn on Marco and his hires when things go pear-shaped...

Ferrari will be a different team in 2015 - Mattiacci

Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci says he is "preparing a different team for 2015" but declined to go into details.

Ahead of the British Grand Prix Corriere dello Sport reported that engine boss Luca Marmorini, who oversaw the design of the team's underpowered V6 power unit, had left the team. But Mattiacci, who replaced Stefano Domenicali as team boss in April, said he would not be disclosing any of his plans for the future any time soon.

"I don't have to make any announcements," he said. "The best announcements are results, those are the best announcements that a team can make. We are definitely working to improve because today [at the British Grand Prix] we were sixth, but the other side of the coin is that we are not happy to be sixth. The weekend was sweet and bitter, with a lot of emotion and positive things, but we are not happy to be sixth.

"Starting from here we need to prepare a different team for 2015. But do we need to do an announcement? No, I don't think we need to do an announcement. Do we need continuous improvement? Yes. That is our position and we don't have to make any announcement at the moment."

Asked specifically about Marmorini leaving the team, Mattiacci added: "Nobody on our side announced what you said. I don't want to point to any individual - in particular during the race weekend - but we are redesigning and enforcing the team. I don't make comments about individuals."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Ferrari will be a different team in 2015 - Mattiacci

Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci says he is "preparing a different team for 2015" but declined to go into details.

Ahead of the British Grand Prix Corriere dello Sport reported that engine boss Luca Marmorini, who oversaw the design of the team's underpowered V6 power unit, had left the team. But Mattiacci, who replaced Stefano Domenicali as team boss in April, said he would not be disclosing any of his plans for the future any time soon.

"I don't have to make any announcements," he said. "The best announcements are results, those are the best announcements that a team can make. We are definitely working to improve because today [at the British Grand Prix] we were sixth, but the other side of the coin is that we are not happy to be sixth. The weekend was sweet and bitter, with a lot of emotion and positive things, but we are not happy to be sixth.

"Starting from here we need to prepare a different team for 2015. But do we need to do an announcement? No, I don't think we need to do an announcement. Do we need continuous improvement? Yes. That is our position and we don't have to make any announcement at the moment."

Asked specifically about Marmorini leaving the team, Mattiacci added: "Nobody on our side announced what you said. I don't want to point to any individual - in particular during the race weekend - but we are redesigning and enforcing the team. I don't make comments about individuals."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
    Well said, Marco.

What is Boullier implying here? Does he know something?

Quote Originally Posted by shamim179 View Post

Let's hope it's not alonso on the way to mclaren!

Quote Originally Posted by shamim179 View Post

Maybe he refers to some deep-rooted problems in the organization that are holding us back. I think that's the most logical assumption.

Its good to see he decided to hire new people after 5 bad races and not wait for 5 bad seasons.
    4 down, 3 to go! Forza Sebastian!

i like hime alot it must be said, seems a lot more aggressive, not concentrating to much on the press and letting them hear what they want! And great to see making changes already and not afraid! Seems very focused instead of the same BS we heard stefano say towaness the end!

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    really glad for these news So maybe there is hope for 2015!
    Where do you see the hope? I just see a whole lot of moving pieces. The only thing we have going for us is money. But we have seen what that did for Toyota and Honda
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    The only thing we have going for us is money. But we have seen what that did for Toyota and Honda

Very true. If we don't improve the 2014 car now, then i don't know how much we will be able to be jump the rest of the field next year.

Wait a minute. Shouldn't we be staying calm?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Wait a minute. Shouldn't we be staying calm?
    I'd like to think this is the calm before the storm

Column: Who is Marco Mattiacci?
    By Balazs Szabo on 15 Jul 2014, 13:46

The Italian came from an unknown world to lead the sinking ship to heaven. Covered with dark sunglasses he remained quiet at his first appearances in charge of Ferrari, then he opened his mouth and showed that the days of his predecessor Stefano Domenicali when everyone could feel their job safe are long gone.
    Formula-1 is a cruel world, especially when you work at Ferrari. Fulfilling any work at the fabled Italian squad is a bless and a curse at the very same time: you always face yourself in the torturous spotlight, the immense pressure you have to withstand is very tough to handle. Any mistake you make will be spotted and you will face intense criticism. Marco Mattiacci knows that tough job awaits him and he can gain repute only with a competitive car.

He hasn’t got any experience in leading a racing team, however he is an obsessed gentleman racer. “I love racing and I raced myself. In my spare time, I spent probably 20 or 22 weekends at a track last year. I attended three Daytona 24 Hours where I’ve slept at the track, trying to learn as much as I could. It’s not Formula-1, but I love racing.”

Mattiacci graduated in economics in Rome. He then joined Jaguar in England where he worked in the marketing department. In 1999 he moved to
    Ferrari where he took up marketing roles for North and South America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific regions. In 2010 he became president of Ferrari USA.

Mattiacci, 43, wasn’t probably picked only by the Chairman of Ferrari, Luca di Montezemolo. He has got good connections to the two top-men of Fiat, John Elkann and Sergio Marchionne. They both appreciated Mattiacci, especially for his marketing skills, honesty and for not being a gentleman when it comes to making cruel decisions in favour of future successes. He doesn’t know the world of Formula-1, but he very well knows what a group of people needs to work at its best. “Over the past 20 years I have assembled a lot of things. I have benchmarked a lot of business structures, and this is about assembling a team, about managing people from different nationalities. I understand this is a very specific culture. The time to react is completely different – you need to have made a decision yesterday, not in two months time like in the corporate world. This is what I can bring the team, to the drivers: they have an extremely humble person who will listen and will fight 150 per cent to utilize the talent that is within Ferrari.”

The Italian newcomer also won’t be shy to get rid of any weak chain-links. He himself concedes he had had a hot conversation with Pat Fry after the Canadian GP where Ferrari were plagued with unacceptable uncompetitiveness.

He was guaranteed by Montezemolo the door of the treasury at Maranello could be opened any time there is a need. It has been reported Ferrari already recruited three engine experts from Mercedes and three aerodynamicists from Red Bull. He is also keen on helping Kimi Raikkönen to put his problems behind and be able to show his form from his glory days of the past.

Mattiacci believes Ferrari do not just have the money, but also the brain power to steer itself back into glorious form: “I think in this team there is a lot of talent, so I am working with the chairman, Mr Di Montezemolo, to see what will be needed.”