Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverstone Testing - 08 & 09 July 2014

So what if the rim is 5" bigger, for the most part that is just aesthetics if the circumference of the tyre is the same, its not really the size of the wheel that matters, its the width, make them much wider and increase the mechanical grip, at least at the rear..!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I always add an inch
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by radosav View Post
    I think Hamilton will love these 18" tyres.
    Fa shizzle, homey!

Those wheels look awful. Pirelli have no business suggesting anything given their shambolic history in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I always add an inch
    Pahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    So what if the rim is 5" bigger, for the most part that is just aesthetics if the circumference of the tyre is the same, its not really the size of the wheel that matters, its the width, make them much wider and increase the mechanical grip, at least at the rear..!
    Will sidewall durability be an issue given the considerable reduction in its size?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    With currently constructed front ends there is a huge aero loss from the large rims. Pic said the car was 4-5 seconds slower.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Someone generally posts these, so here ya go. I didnt want "one" of our drivers to be replaced until today...That sound cold?

Name Team Laps Time Gap
    Bianchi Ferrari 89 1:35.262 138.336 mph
    Kvyat Toro Rosso 55 1:35.544 0.282
    Magnussen McLaren 91 1:35.593 0.331
    Van der Garde Sauber 84 1:36.327 1.065
    Hamilton Mercedes 47 1:36.680 1.418
    Bottas Williams 40 1:37.193 1.931
    Chilton Marussia 77 1:37.359 2.097
    Juncadella Force India 52 1:37.449 2.187
    Vettel Red Bull 76 1:39.410 4.148
    Pic Lotus 39 1:41.906 6.644
    Leal Caterham 51 1:42.635 7.373

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Getting fed up more and more with F1... these wheels are just ridiculous. I don't even remember the last time I liked some change F1 made.
    I don't see why it's ridiculous, considering that most of the automobil world have moved on to low profile tires. Even LMP1, which Ferrari is planning on joining, is using low profile tires. All of Ferrari's modern road car (as well as other companies who manufacture performance road car) are using low profile tires, so they are very relevant to road car tech, which is something (relevance to road car) Luca wanted too.

Low profile tires have it's own advantages as the thinner wall meant lesser deformation, hence it responds faster and the teams have more control over chassis movement.

I absolutely hate big wheels and tiny brakes. They won't increase the rotor diameter as the braking power is already so great, unless they switch to steel rotors which IMO is disastrous as F1 needs to be running the most advanced brakes.

I'm not completely against the proposed new wheel size, very simplistically they do look good and perhaps, with the right demographic that may bring more new long-term fans.

My problem with them is I'm not sure what the desired goal/result is in changing the wheel size? I'm not convinced that becoming closer to road cars is, of itself a worthy goal. Adding a dashboard or sound system would also do that.

There is of course a lot of cost to teams to make the change. Lastly, the wheel size constraint does IMO impel greater creativity for brake design because you have a smaller space in which to achieve your objectives.

Well done Jules ... solid professional
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Jules Bianchi waits for Ferrari chance after impressing at Silverstone

Jules Bianchi has admitted he has no chance of driving for Ferrari next season despite impressing at Silverstone on Day Two.

Bianchi topped the time sheets as Kimi Raikkonen's stand-in on the final day of testing, but has admitted he will not be driving for Ferrari next campaign.

The Frenchman told reporters: "At the moment I know that it is not the plan for the next year because they have a plan for their drivers."

"Obviously considering I am part of the Academy I think that is the target one day so I have to show them that I am ready in any case, but at the moment they have two drivers who are doing a good job so I don't think it is the plan."

Bianchi was the main topic of conversation for track matters as he delivered an impressive showing in the Ferrari.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-...ce_164306.html
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Adapting to Ferrari took time, says Bianchi

9 July 2014 – Jules Bianchi says it took time to get used to a Ferrari machine that is "very different" to the one he currently races for Marussia.

The Frenchman, standing in for Kimi Räikkönen, topped the timesheets on the final day of the post-British Grand Prix test at Silverstone.

But he conceded that his first few runs in the F14 T were a challenge.

"By the end of the day I got a really good feeling in the car, even if at the start, it was not so easy adapting to a car that's very different to the one I race," said Bianchi, a long-time member of the Ferrari Driver Academy.

"The parameters are completely different and I spent the first runs getting used to it. Today we worked on race set-up, trying various settings, both old and new, aimed at producing improvements in the coming races."

Bianchi, contesting his second Formula 1 season with the Marussia team, added: "Putting on a Ferrari race suit is always a special feeling and I hope one day I can wear it as a race driver, even if I have a lot to learn."
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I absolutely hate big wheels and tiny brakes. They won't increase the rotor diameter as the braking power is already so great, unless they switch to steel rotors which IMO is disastrous as F1 needs to be running the most advanced brakes.
    If they make the brakes worse, and therefore increase stopping distances, someone might actually be able to out-brake another driver... ;)

I think a major hurdle of a larger rim will be the reduced sidewall having less give over the bumps. This would mean the suspension would have to absorb more and move more, this would lower aerodynamic efficiency. They would have to increase the size of the break as well, otherwise it looks retarded.

I read he was unimpressed... he would like 22" spinners...

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    With currently constructed front ends there is a huge aero loss from the large rims. Pic said the car was 4-5 seconds slower.
    Yeah, that may be the case now, all the cars running 4 secs slower doesn't make the racing better, and once the front ends are re-designed they'll get that 4 secs back and we're back to where we are now, just with 18" rims...
    It seems the powers that be are obsessive about just improving the aesthetics of the sport in the hope it will attract new viewers, this is another idea on par with the titanium skid blocks, makes absolutely no difference to the actual racing...

And that's to put the costs down every year...
    by introducing new rim sizes for aesthetic purposes
    which in the end will induce new costs for development of new suspension and brakes
    that goes along with it...real smart aren't they/

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    If they make the brakes worse, and therefore increase stopping distances, someone might actually be able to out-brake another driver... ;)
    15+" rotors are still going to slow a 1400 lb car down in a hurry. There isn't a massive amount of overtaking in Indy cars or Sports cars. Nascar which are well over 3400 lbs with 12.72" steel discs have the worst braking for top level motorsports and there is some good over taking some times. A lot of that time is because of the skill difference in drivers on the road course. You will never see that long of brake distances in F1.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper1101 View Post
    And that's to put the costs down every year...
    by introducing new rim sizes for aesthetic purposes
    which in the end will induce new costs for development of new suspension and brakes
    that goes along with it...real smart aren't they/
    The best way to keep cost down is to freeze development. But it's obvious we cannot do that in F1. The sport has to find the right balance of keeping cost in control while still allow technologies to be pushed forward. F1 has always been a place where new automobil technologies were discovered and developed, and the sport should keep that up. So you can't say don't do something because there's a development cost to it. Development and adapting new tech has always been a huge part of this sport.

The problem isn't having too many things to develop, it's the politics of having different teams with different aims in the sport. Some teams like Ferrari are more than happy to develop something new especially if it has relevance to the kind of road cars they produce, but there are some smaller teams who are more interested in turning profit.