Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone Testing - 08 & 09 July 2014

Silverstone Testing - 08 & 09 July 2014

De La Rosa optimistic on correlation between car and simulator

Pedro De La Rosa came in action on the first day of testing for Ferrari at Silverstone. The Spaniard proved happy to be in the car, finding good correlation between the car's behaviour and how he experienced it in the simulator.

Ferrrari completed the day testing for Pirelli's 2015 tyres. The team also used the opportunity to check the correlation between the F14 T on track and in the simulator, even though there was no real opportunity to test new performance parts during the tyre test.

Pedro de la Rosa, who shares simulator duties with Andrea Bertolini and Davide Rigon was at the wheel on track. The Spaniard did 49 laps, the fastest in 1.37.988, running with a heavy fuel load. The day came to a premature end because of a loss of coolant and solving the problem put an end to track activity for the day.

It was Pedro’s first time in the F14 T. “I am very happy to be back in the car, because no simulator can compare to actually driving a car on track. It was enjoyable getting to grips with the circuit, as I miss it and miss training in race trim. That aside, I am very pleased with the correlation we saw between the car and the simulator. That is a very important factor, as Formula 1 testing is reduced still further, obliging everyone to do more simulation. Maybe this needs a rethink, not just for the test drivers, who do too little driving, but for the youngsters and for Formula 1 as a whole.”

Today, Pedro was working in tandem with Fernando Alonso, who was running in the Maranello simulator in a reversal of what usually happens over a race weekend. “Fernando as we know is very professional, but I must say it felt a bit strange knowing a world champion was working for me while I was on track at Silverstone.”
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Water leak halts Ferrari’s day

Pedro de la Rosa revealed that a water leak with the cooling system ended Ferrari's day prematurely during testing at Silverstone.

Ferrari was carrying out tyre testing duties for Pirelli with de la Rosa at the wheel of the F14 T for the first time. While the morning had been productive, de la Rosa was unable to complete many laps in the afternoon session and explained that the team had been forced to cut short its program. Asked if there was a problem, de la Rosa replied: “Yes.

“It was all going fantastically well; we had a very good morning and then in the afternoon we had a water leak with the cooling system so we had to call it a day.”

More encouraging for de la Rosa however was the correlation between simulator and track, which he feels will stand Ferrari in good stead going forward.

“It was pretty good I would say. The fact that I jumped in to the car and immediately in a new car with a new regulation – because we should never forget that 2014 is very new, I am experienced but with the V8s and this is a completely new Formula for me as well – I was straight on there feeling very comfortable doing competitive lap times straight away.

“So I am pleased because of that, it means the correlation is pretty good. It still has to improve and we have to push and we have to make sure that we make it better but it's a good starting point. I'm pretty proud of the work we have done in-house.”

And de la Rosa said the day's running had reminded him personally of how much he enjoys driving F1 machinery rather than the simulator.

“It was fantastic to be back, to be able to test and also to test at Silverstone because there are many tracks but Silverstone is the most high-speed, most difficult of all. It was very difficult for the team, for myself to have a good correlation from simulator to reality. Days like today just remind me how good it was when we could test more and how much I miss testing.”

We seems to be very unlucky in this year's winter testing, often having some problem that ends our running early. I hope everything will go smoothly today. Bianchi will be driving for us.

Since in-season testing is so limited, I fail to understand a couple of things:

Why don't we have a spare car for testing? Is it not permitted by the FIA?
    Why is Alonso working in the simulator and De la Rosa & Bianchi are doing the tests? Wouldn't Alonso add more value in terms of his input than PDLR & BIA?

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    Since in-season testing is so limited, I fail to understand a couple of things:

Why don't we have a spare car for testing? Is it not permitted by the FIA?
    Why is Alonso working in the simulator and De la Rosa & Bianchi are doing the tests? Wouldn't Alonso add more value in terms of his input than PDLR & BIA?
    It's important to De la Rosa test the real car to check if the feelings in the simulator matches with the track in terms of setup. The correlation is crucial. After this test he can going to maranello and work with the engineers to fix the bugs of our simulator. Once this is done
    Our drivers will be able to work in the setup of the car for any GP weeks before it
    Then, kim wont need the 3 FP of every GP and his test for his setups. He'll do it at maranello.

Alonso is in maranello cheking the correlation as well, with his feelings of the weekend. But I also believe he should test instead Bianchi

The new 18-inch wheel tested today. I like how it looks.

front wheel is good, but the rear wheel should be a little bit bigger and wider then it will be superb!

I think it looks OK, but it's just so different with what we are used to so I think I have to see it in real life before I can judge.
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Awful

Looks like crap , can't wait until Pirelli quits F1.
    Better sooner than later !

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

I want hd of these please

By the way, Bianchi testing the 6-element FW.
    Last edited by PadGeT; 9th July 2014 at 11:29.

F1 show biz 2016 :
    Toto - "Ferrari are a real threat" .... Nico - "Awesome, everything is just awesome" .....Lulu - "Mental strength man, lifestyle man, I'll drive at 400% as ever man".... and then suddenly a wild Bull out of nowhere slams into a Ferrari.

I think I am digging the larger wheels. But the brakes designed for the 13" rims look so silly inside the proposed wheels lol. I would assume the brakes would grow with the wheels size...

Think 18 too big - go to 16, less rim, bit more tire.

Not much news...funny how the fia wants to ban fric, yet bring in 18" tires.
    Compromise?
    Hows Bianchi doing?

Is there any liveticker available or something?

Is there any liveticker available or something?
    http://www.f1i.com/live-f1/

Quote Originally Posted by Avanzamento View Post
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    The new 18-inch wheel tested today. I like how it looks.

The new gen of F1 cars already sound like Indy Cars, now they have to look like them too? I think the lotus livery and gold rims are making the tires seem nicer than they really are.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Jules is good, we should hire him instead of Kimi for 2015
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Sky reported that Alonso's fastest time across all practice last weekend was 1.35.244. Bianchi today set 1.35.262

Although the conditions are different, Bianchi doesn't race in this car. Therefore all things considered, I think it's quite an impressive time for a rookie who drove the F14T for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Sky reported that Alonso's fastest time across all practice last weekend was 1.35.244. Bianchi today set 1.35.262

Although the conditions are different, Bianchi doesn't race in this car. Therefore all things considered, I think it's quite an impressive time for a rookie who drove the F14T for the first time.
    That sounds seriously good Would really like to see what Bianchi can achieve in a competitive car!

Can't read into the times. Especially since Bianchi was doing tyre testing. He prob used a compound softer than what was available this past race.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    Can't read into the times. Especially since Bianchi was doing tyre testing. He prob used a compound softer than what was available this past race.
    I thought that we did the tire testing yesterday with De La Rosa?
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    Well, even if we take into account different tires, fuel and track condition and say we add 3-4 sec into his time, we still have to consider that this is his first time driving the F14T, which is not exactly the easiest car to drive. If he had several races of experience with our car, he could probably extract more out of it. And it's Alonso's time we're talking about, even experience drivers could not match Alonso's performance.

I'm not suggesting he is as fast as Alonso yet, but if he can come close to Alonso's performance at this point in his racing career, then I think it says something about his potential.

I don't like path F1 is headed to. I am old school and all this what has been done to F1 is just stupid!
    By the way new wheels are ugly!

Getting fed up more and more with F1... these wheels are just ridiculous. I don't even remember the last time I liked some change F1 made.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Wheels look like wheels not sure if I care too much to turn off F1 because the wheels are 6inch bigger
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Wheels look like wheels not sure if I care too much to turn off F1 because the wheels are 6inch bigger

I think Hamilton will love these 18" tyres.