Thread: Häkkinen: Räikkönen retirement talk unwise

Häkkinen: Räikkönen retirement talk unwise

Mika Häkkinen says fellow Finn Kimi Räikkönen was unwise to state that he will "probably" retire from Formula 1 after the 2015 campaign, predicting Ferrari to switch its focus to Fernando Alonso as a result.

Räikkönen, who returned to Ferrari this season after a two-year stint with comeback outfit Lotus, explained in the run up to the British Grand Prix that he is unlikely to seek an extension to his contract when it expires.

"I don't think that it's particularly smart of him," Häkkinen explained in his latest Hermes column.

"When the mechanics and all the other people in the team know that a driver has plans to retire in a year and a half, their focus will shift more towards the other driver, who in this case is Fernando Alonso."

Häkkinen also expects Räikkönen's overall level of motivation to take a hit after his admission.

"When someone thinks about stopping, it will have a negative effect on their motivation," he added. "Then that person won't be able to concentrate anymore on the many things you need to think about in Formula 1."

Räikkönen currently lies 12th in the standings, eight places and 68 points adrift of team-mate Alonso.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

I remember that good old Mika said in winter testing that Kimi was going to beat Fernando because this regulations were better for Kimi and Alonso push too much, the best thing he can do for Kimi is to shut up.

Well Mika is right, its pretty unwise to talk about retirement, Kimi should shut up and give everything he got to deliver to team points and good results, not talk about retirement.
    If he wants to retire he should keep that to himself and make the best out of the car he got till the time comes to retire.

Can't believe we'd even think about another buy-out of Kimi's contract but you never know!

I think it was very good he announced his retirement this early. It enables all sorts of possibilities and combinations on the driver market.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I think Kimi is just after his retirement fund with a 2 year stint with Ferrari.

He isn't really doing his part, do we have a clause of performance on him? is 1 +1 contract or a 2 year contract?, im sure Bianchi would be Delivering much more than him for much less money.
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

Looking back it would have been better for both Ferrari and Kimi if he had not come back. But he is here now, and both have to make the best of it. I truly hope Kimi can find a way to do that, because he clearly is not happy.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Mika,

I like you, but hooey. Alonso was always Ferrari's main focus.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Mika,

I thought that the championship was the main focus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Mika,

Really. Well, maybe to build a fast car should have been their main focus instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Really. Well, maybe to build a fast car should have been their main focus instead.
    Um, what do you think the designers in the team are doing

Alonso is the driver the team entrust to take the leading role, the same with Schumi. Schumi was Ferrari's main focus. They are the drivers the team bet on to win the WDC.

Nothing to do with the technical operation of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Um, what do you think the designers in the team are doing

Alonso is the driver the team entrust to take the leading role, the same with Schumi. Schumi was Ferrari's main focus. They are the drivers the team bet on to win the WDC.

Nothing to do with the technical operation of the team.

Thanks, but you took my posting too serious. I was just being ironical

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    I think Kimi is just after his retirement fund with a 2 year stint with Ferrari.

He isn't really doing his part, do we have a clause of performance on him? is 1 +1 contract or a 2 year contract?, im sure Bianchi would be Delivering much more than him for much less money.
    A believe a performance clause would better reffer to the tech. people putting out a bomb for Kimi to drive. Cut their pay , kick a few of them out. Bianchi"s experience compared to Kimi in the car that's available @ Ferrari would have him finishing behind a DNF car. Bianchi's only chance to deliver more than Kimi could only happen if he stole and painted Nico's Merc Red and drive that car. And still way up front in a race would be too new for him. That's why hee gets paid less.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    is 1 +1 contract or a 2 year contract?,
    2 year, I hope the team is not stupid enough to make the same mistake they did in 2009, they can't send Kimi to his home and pay him a full year again. I think they are going to keep it anyway, if they kick Kimi again they will look like clowns but I beat FIAT is not happy. Let's hope Kimi does better soon.