23 53.49%
  • age shouldnt be an issue

17 39.53%
  • not to bothered

3 6.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too young for F1?

Too young for F1?

Just like see what people think about Max Verstappen. Is 17 to young to jump into F1? Or is showing F1 isnt as hard to drive as in years gone by?
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

i think 17 is too young, in many countries 17year old's can't even have full licence. i can't imagine 17year old being responsible enough to drive a car that goes that fast
    not gonna change my profile picture

I believe it is too young, because even if a 17 years old driver was talented and even conservative, some rookie mistakes are unavoidable and some of that mistakes could be a serious danger for drivers safety.
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

in india odinary bike or car license gets from 18 years.so superlicence in 15.unbelivable to me

one question in our country gets license by riding bike in '8' like path and for car H.hows is urs?
    Fight with passion, win with pride, lose with respect, but never give up.

In my opinion it shouldn't be an issue, he obviously has the ability to race open wheelers. I don't see how it is or should be related to having a public driving license. We have seen 16 year olds playing Champions League football and playing extremely well. F1 is never completely safe and even older drivers can make rookie mistakes or cause dangerous situations, for example Raikkonen (34) at Silverstone or Maldonado (29) nearly every race weekend.

My initial response to this is “no, no one should be in an F1 race under, say, 20”.
    Not because s/he can’t drive well enough but because the brain and life experience isn’t developed sufficiently to deal with the situations – in and out of the car.
    Certainly reflexes are great and s/he may have the spatial and kinetic skills necessary to drive in situations that require lightning quick responses.
    But we know that young men’s danger responses are not fully developed until about 25. Couple that with the whole experience of the F1 life, on and off the track, and you have a volatile mixture.

On the other hand, look outside F1 and we see a certain Marc Marquez who at 19/20 entered MotoGP and won a World Championship in his first year! He’s sometimes horrifying to watch but so far no great damage has been inflicted on himself or others due to his lack of years. But I suspect he’s an exception, not the rule. And the young person we’re talking about will be 17years old when he enters F1!

I remember when Kimi first came into F1, many had doubt if he deserved the super license due to his lack of racing experience. He of course went to show that his lack of experience wasn't an issue.

If a driver have it, then they have it and their age shouldnt be held against them. After all, when you look at drivers like Maldonado, age did not made him any safer I think this young chap deserve a chance, as Red Bull clearly believed he is good enough to have that chance.
    Last edited by Hornet; 24th August 2014 at 04:07.

If the driver is good enough, they are good enough.

I have a general Question, are F1 drivers educated or they are just taught how to drive fast. I am a brain-washed Alonso Fan for everyone's info.. saw a documentary on F1 which said Big Ron made sure his Lewis completed School and was quick aswell. no compromises on study and stuff.
    God please help Fernando Alonso win his long-overdue title with Ferrari IA. And may FERRARI Dominate F1 Again..FORZA

Age shouldn't be an issue, as long as someone is evaluating the "complete package", maturity level etc.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

If his body has the physical capacity for it then it's not too young. The question should be, is he too inexperienced in this level of racing. I'd probably say yes.

I think FIA will ban races during rain in a near future simply cos under age kids may hurt/kill themselves in these conditions. When adult hurt/kill himself, its no biggy cos adult is fully responsible for himself, but it's not the case when we are talking about kids.

And btw this 17yo is not the last one. If trend continues we will see more kids in F1 soon. Next is a girl under race wheel, teenage girl will follow afterwards.

females in f1 are in my opinion just marketing schemes right now, i dont think Wolff or De Silvestro have the skills to compete at F1 level, and Haas f1 talking of bringing danica patrick as a possibility is another marketing scheme to get more americans involved with F1, however if a female can compete at the same level then im all for them racing in F1 and good luck to them!
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”
    Kimi: “It protects my head.”

Wolff did show good pace only a half second off of massa but not sure thats really enough
    Interviewer: “The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?”

Quote Originally Posted by hogo View Post
    I think FIA will ban races during rain in a near future simply cos under age kids may hurt/kill themselves in these conditions. When adult hurt/kill himself, its no biggy cos adult is fully responsible for himself, but it's not the case when we are talking about kids.

And btw this 17yo is not the last one. If trend continues we will see more kids in F1 soon. Next is a girl under race wheel, teenage girl will follow afterwards.
    You realise these *kids* have probably raced in the rain already? As for teenage girls not quite sure where those thoughts come from.
    Forza Ferrari

I voted for too young! It's not only about the racing but all the media attention and so on! I hope he will succeed but maybe it was better if he made his debut 2 years later.
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

To young for F1?

In my opinion, age shouldn't be a barrier & for both ends. If a 45 year old is good enough, fit enough then why not. Same goes for a 17 year old. Yes we can expect rookie mistakes but that can happen even with 25 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    You realise these *kids* have probably raced in the rain already? As for teenage girls not quite sure where those thoughts come from.
    Don't be sexist, so teenage boy can come to F1 but teenage girl can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    In my opinion, age shouldn't be a barrier & for ends. If a 45 year old is good enough, fit enough then why not. Same goes for a 17 year old. Yes we can expect rookie mistakes but that can happen even with 25 year olds.
    Maldonado is only 29 years old and never made a rookie mistake
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    I'm not sure about his mental age

i think maldonado is trying to beat grosjean's lotus crash and mistake total, i think he could do it

Don't be sexist, so teenage boy can come to F1 but teenage girl can't?
    Again you seem to be having some strange thoughts.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post

Being a Douchebag doesn't have an expiry date imo.

After watching the idiot MAG today, I would rather Max raced a few more years in the junior series, paid his dues before racing in F1.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Again you seem to be having some strange thoughts.
    It seems you have strange thoughts about my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    After watching the idiot MAG today, I would rather Max raced a few more years in the junior series, paid his dues before racing in F1.
    Totally agree, and there have been plenty of other young guns running before they can walk. Talent will shine but needs the right car to do so, it's in tight situations where these rookies are a liability. They all have to start somewhere but 17 is going too far.

And this ONE year contracts don't help either. It is basically saying that you either perform or you won't have a drive with us next year. This puts additional pressure on the already young driver to take extra risk and jeopardize the safety of other drivers.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

Quote Originally Posted by vcs316 View Post
    And this ONE year contracts don't help either. It is basically saying that you either perform or you won't have a drive with us next year. This puts additional pressure on the already young driver to take extra risk and jeopardize the safety of other drivers.
    In an interview with Will Buxton, Max said it was for longer than 1 year!
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

I don't think that 17 is a factor here. If he can drive in F1 then he deserves to be there. And I am happy that Kimi's example is mentioned, it's the perfect example for this thread.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Next is a girl under race wheel, teenage girl will follow afterwards.
    The horror. I mean, they really should be learning to knit and stuff instead.
    Forza Jules