Thread: Schumacher 1996 v Seb 2015

Schumacher 1996 v Seb 2015

It may not be fair, but the reality is Seb Vettel's performances will be judged against the benchmarks set by Michael Schumacher, writes Richard F Rose.

Enzo Ferrari's son Piero, who owns a 10 per cent stake in Ferrari, told the Italian media earlier this year that "it's unfair to compare Vettel and Schumacher". But even the scion of the Prancing Horse knows that Sebastian Vettel's performances will be judged against the benchmarks set by Michael Schumacher nearly two decades ago. It may not be fair, but that's the reality.

In Schumacher's debut season for the Scuderia in 1996, the dominant Williams-Renaults of Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve regularly qualified 0.5-1.0 seconds ahead of the Ferrari. Nonetheless, Schumacher notched four poles, three victories, and two fastest laps on his way to third in the championship.

Vettel's task is more daunting. The class of the 2015 field, the Mercedes, is significantly faster than the Ferrari. With a significant sample now available for the current season, PlanetF1 compares some of the numbers.*

Schumacher 1996
    8 races
    4 podiums: 50%
    1 win: 12.5%
    4 retirements: 50%
    1 fastest lap: 12.5%
    2 poles: 25%

Vettel 2015
    8 races
    5 podiums: 62.5%
    1 win: 12.5%
    0 retirements: 0%
    0 fastest laps: 0%
    0 poles: 0%

ANALYSIS

The similarity of the race wins column is worth noting, though Vettel won his first race in his second start for Ferrari while Schumacher needed seven races and a downpour in Spain to break his duck.

Vettel also impresses on the podium count, finishing in the top three in 62.5% of his first eight grands prix with Ferrari to Schumacher's 50%.

The pole position and fastest lap figures tell much of 2015's story thus far. With no poles or fastest laps, Ferrari has struggled to match the Mercedes for outright pace.

Not so in 1996 when Schumacher occasionally managed to manhandle the F310 onto pole, as he did in San Marino and Monaco.

The analysis takes a different slant when reviewing reliability and race finishes. Schumacher failed to finish in Australia on debut (brakes), Argentina (broken wing), Monaco (crash), and Canada (driveshaft).

Vettel's SF15-T is bulletproof in comparison and the four-time champion has yet to retire in a Ferrari. Schumacher's record looks more impressive if car failures are removed from the sample.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3260/...996-v-Seb-2015
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

I didn't like the taste of that article.

Why people (journalist) feel a need to do compassion like this?!

Stats can say whatever but with due respect to Seb, Michael looked like a Formula 1 great, he was just phenomenal

Aside from the comparison while at Ferrari, Seb won a few championships while at Red Bull. He for sure is right up there with the greats, with a lot of career still ahead of him. I'm glad we Ferrari got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Aside from the comparison while at Ferrari, Seb won a few championships while at Red Bull. He for sure is right up there with the greats, with a lot of career still ahead of him. I'm glad we Ferrari got him.
    Before I go further with my comment I'll state once again that I am ONLY and ALWAYS will be FERRARI as a team supporter.
    All credits to SV and all success he accomplished while driving for Red Bull, not taking anything from him, but for sure it was easier for him in that SUPERULTRAHIGH tech Adrian Newey car, than it was for MS in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Those were the FIGHTING years. Ok 2002 and 2004 we were dominant as Mercedes is now, so that I am not counting.
    I am glad SV is now driving for Ferrari and I really hope he will get us success as Michael did once for us.
    For me there is just one Michael Schumacher!!!
    Thank you MS!!!

I started to watch F1 when i was 9, so didn't see Schumacher's 1996 campaign with Ferrari.

But one thing is certain, Seb is doing phenomenal job. I had my worries when Alonso left Ferrari, but Seb is really sat up & delivered the results this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Before I go further with my comment I'll state once again that I am ONLY and ALWAYS will be FERRARI as a team supporter.
    All credits to SV and all success he accomplished while driving for Red Bull, not taking anything from him, but for sure it was easier for him in that SUPERULTRAHIGH tech Adrian Newey car, than it was for MS in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Those were the FIGHTING years. Ok 2002 and 2004 we were dominant as Mercedes is now, so that I am not counting.
    I am glad SV is now driving for Ferrari and I really hope he will get us success as Michael did once for us.
    Thank you MS!!!
    our dominance in 2002 and 2004 was much less then the dominance of Mercedes. We had the fastest car which was slightly faster then the competition in race trim and we maximized every race. Mercedes has a huge huge leap on the competition. We were winning in 2002 and 2004 but we were fighting for every win not like Merc who are cruising to the finish.

Seb and MS only won when their team gave them a car capable of doing so that is what we need to give Seb. I would not say MS had much of a fight in 2002 or 2004 either it was way too easy for him. 2002 MS never finished lower than 3rd.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Seb and MS only won when their team gave them a car capable of doing so that is what we need to give Seb. I would not say MS had much of a fight in 2002 or 2004 either it was way too easy for him. 2002 MS never finished lower than 3rd.
    True.
    But in 2002 he was having quite a battle with Kimi and MS's driving skills were decisive that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    True.
    But in 2002 he was having quite a battle with Kimi and MS's driving skills were decisive that year.
    I think you mean 2003. Kimi was about to dethrone Shumi in his third year in Formula One.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    I think you mean 2003. Kimi was about to dethrone Shumi in his third year in Formula One.
    For sure he means 2003, coz 2002 and 2004 were cruising mode for us!
    Last edited by stefa; 13th July 2015 at 05:12.

Thank you MS!!!

As I recall 2010 and 2012 were "fighting" years as well, in fact they were more competitive seasons than 1995 or 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    As I recall 2010 and 2012 were "fighting" years as well, in fact they were more competitive seasons than 1995 or 2001.
    Yes they were. And were very interesting. But here topic is comparison between MS and SV. No mention of FA.
    Last edited by stefa; 13th July 2015 at 05:12.

It's purposeless to evaluate Vettel's career until he retires.

Disappointed Since 2010

Yes they were. And were very interesting. But here topic is comparison between MS and SV. No mention of FA.
    I made no mention of FA. I merely pointed out that that the implication that SV's cars have been unbeatable rocketships while Schumi (who I'm an admirer of, btw) drove "fighting" campaigns in average cars was baseless.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    Oh yeah, i meant 2003, i got mixed up, sorry :D

Quote Originally Posted by Giallo 550 View Post
    It's purposeless to evaluate Vettel's career until he retires.
    There's all the purpose in the world to watch Seb or any driver one likes while there still driving. When they retire they don't drive anymore! I also believe it's better to comment on and evaluate retired drivers if you are following them closely while there still driving. Watching Seb's success with Ferrari is great esp. unlike MS, Seb has no team orders helping him pick up points.

Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    There's all the purpose in the world to watch Seb or any driver one likes while there still driving. When they retire they don't drive anymore! I also believe it's better to comment on and evaluate retired drivers if you are following them closely while there still driving. Watching Seb's success with Ferrari is great esp. unlike MS, Seb has no team orders helping him pick up points.
    I think you misunderstood me. You can't evaluate a career in its entirety until it's complete, so to compare Vettel, who is maybe around the middle of his career, to Schumacher, who has been out of the game for several seasons now, is a waste of time. That's like grading a test when only 30 of 60 questions are completed with a 15 minute time limit.

Disappointed Since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Oh yeah, i meant 2003, i got mixed up, sorry :D
    In 2003, JPM was the one taking the fight to Schumi. He retired in the last race due to engine failure, otherwise it would have been close. Maybe equal points, between schumi and JPM and Schumi would have won on account of more race wins.
    Kimi did finish the season 2nd, but thats again because of JPMs retirement. He retired when he was leading the race and in dominating fashion.
    Silently, like a shadow

Seb is doing a good job this year, but lets be honest, he's not in the same league as MS and doesn't look like he will be. Have too many people forgotten how good MS actually was ? How he got poor cars on pole or to wins, especially 96. Shumi was the last great after Senna and there isn't a driver in the field today of their caliber. Plain and simple.

Why people (journalist) feel a need to do compassion like this?!
    Because journos need to keep writing, even though theres no news, no races, and nothing important to report.
    I recently had a conversation w/an editor of a newsrag..he confirmed it, they will and do dramatize everything possible to make copy.

And then we talk about all of the "nothing" the journalists write or say.
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Comparing any driver is bad idea. These driver are making a career name for themselfs. Each man is alone on his island.

Michael did not have 4 championships when he was coming to Ferrari.
    Seb did not have 2 championships when he was coming to Ferrari.

You see? These men are different men with different work !!

Who is greater Senna, Schumacher, Fangio, Clark, Prost, Gilles Villeneuve, Lauda, Farina? They all have different work to show. They are all great!!