Thread: F1 Revolution could be delayed to 2018

Thumbs down F1 Revolution could be delayed to 2018

Friday 7 August at 08:35 : Aug.7 (GMM)

F's planned technical revolution for 2017 may be delayed, the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport reports.

Earlier, the sport appeared collectively determined to react to dwindling audiences by speeding up the cars to the tune of 5-6 seconds per lap by 2017.

But correspondent Michael Schmidt reports that there are concerns that F1 is rushing into changes that should actually be thought through more carefully.

The report said the matter will be discussed by technical directors during a meeting on August 18, and that one option is to delay the changes until 2018.

"It is a big job to get the concept right and make it into a set of regulations by the end of February 2016," Williams' highly experienced Pat Symonds said.

"I think 2017 is a very ambitious target. There is not much time," he added.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/artic...+-+report.html
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I think I heard it on a talk show on skysports from Michael Schmidt. He said there are simply too many opinions and no agreement.
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

No! People need to stop arguing and start coexisting! The teams, FOM and the FIA need to push their egos aside and work together on making the rule changes. 2016 is allowing certain rules to be relaxed (tyre allocation) but 2017 is the year everyone is waiting for. I've had enough of these debates with the teams, personally; they will only go for what benefits them. The FOM and FIA should be the only ones considering the changes and the teams have to react accordingly.
    If it helps, maybe some aerodynamic rules should be relaxed for 2016 and frozen so the only aerodynamic improvement for 2017 would be only the 2 meter width and rear wing lowering (hopefully also the underside downforce implementation).
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

I think every side is pushing for their own advantage.

For example RedBull wanted to ban wind tunnels so I imagine they have the full confidence in shifting their focus on more mechanical side of the Formula1 despite Ferrari have the most upgraded wind tunnel recently and McLaren are going to have upgraded windtunnel in near future. It is extraordinary to think how RedBull are against windtunnel this time, although aerodynamically they had the most sophisticated car from 2009 to 2013.

I imagine Other teams can't afford to give a way to RedBull (Adrian Newey) to again excel in one of the many banned technical solutions that Adrian Newey has knowledge and experience about them.

Maybe Ferrari and McLaren are leaning towards 2000 to 2008 regulations because they were competitive.

Surely every team have some confident, interest and preferences in some technical regulations that will suit them better.
    Last edited by AfterLife; 8th August 2015 at 15:55.
    ||||||||||||||||||||||

Can't say I would be surprised. All we need is a manufacturer crying about the marketability or any number of other excuses and it'll be delayed. By 2018, LMP1 will be a few seconds a lap faster than 'F1'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Architect View Post
    Can't say I would be surprised. All we need is a manufacturer crying about the marketability or any number of other excuses and it'll be delayed. By 2018, LMP1 will be a few seconds a lap faster than 'F1'.
    wait and see what time they do at Spa in couple weeks, then can compare the times. Think at Silverstone LMP1s were, in race pace, 5 seconds slower.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

This could get complicated & you know they have to get it right, better target 2020 as the date to slowly start phasing in some changes over a 5 year period.

Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

They should not think it too careful. Only their mistake(development loophole) saved this season

IMO, at some point they just need to get on with it and do what needs to be done. I understand that it will be huge and complex, but it is almost impossible to get everything right the first time no matter how long they delay it. The history of F1 have shown this. Even with the delay of the new PU, we still saw plenty of issues cropping up after we finally got there (ie. PU freezing loophole this year). There are things that we will never be able to predict, and we'll just have to react as they come.

CAn do something simple to make cars a little quicker next year and in 2017 by increasing allowed fuel flow rate and fuel capacity. Then bring in major changes. No need to wait till 2018.

Unfortunately Silent Bob, FIA ruled out the possibility of increasing fuel flow rate. I think this is their way of forcing engine suppliers to produce more efficient engines.
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

of course. why do something simple and inexpensive when they can over complicate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    of course. why do something simple and inexpensive when they can over complicate things.
    You just described F1 politics to a T . Increase fuel flow rate might hurt Merc staying ahead of Ferrari too soon.