Thread: Mercedes Speed in changing nose cone

Mercedes Speed in changing nose cone

hi guys, the super exciting Hunagaroring have left us celebrating, but I noticed something worrisome, the speed Mercedes changed Hamilton nose cone is outstanding!, 8.5 seconds; Red Bull was much slower around 17 secs and we have seen in Bahrain how slow we are, it looks like a design advantage in Mercedes W06. Can we copy it?

What do you think guys?
    Go Ferrari, beat them all!

I think we shouldn't be breaking a nose in a race in the first place, therefore saving us 8 seconds in each pitstop. This is a much better design.

Things happen

Quote Originally Posted by macks View Post
    I think we shouldn't be breaking a nose in a race in the first place, therefore saving us 8 seconds in each pitstop. This is a much better design.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberracus View Post
    Things happen
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by macks View Post
    what he said
    we're number one

Things happen
    Exactly!

Often the type of damage complicates removing & attaching the noses
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Also, I would think (and hope) that the team is aware & always watching the competition to capitalize on any new innovations that catch their eye.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Best ever nose change was Seb getting Webbers nose in a hurry.

If the mechanics struggle to lift the car up, to change, said damaged nose. Then will/may take abit longer. f the locking nuts are bent slightly, will take even longer. Its just luck, if the nose isnt that damaged and can change it quick. All mountings and locking devices are all the same.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I respectfully disagree, the w06 nose cone slide from the top into position, no nuts twisting, just slide from above, Ricciardo red bull's nose cone was out very quickly but they have to twist some security or bolts after they put the new nose cone. In the case of hamilton's W06 nose cone it was much much quicker, I think this is an innovation that our beloved team should take into consideration for next year car.

I respectfully disagree, the w06 nose cone slide from the top into position, no nuts twisting, just slide from above, Ricciardo red bull's nose cone was out very quickly but they have to twist some security or bolts after they put the new nose cone. In the case of hamilton's W06 nose cone it was much much quicker, I think this is an innovation that our beloved team should take into consideration for next year car.
    Good reason to re-watch some races.

But I agree with Rob, I think they are all the same or at least very similar.
    Forza Ferrari !

*edit*
    Home now, put better picture up.

But, as you can see the nose is locked into position with locking nuts just like all the other teams.
    Last edited by Rob; 11th August 2015 at 21:33.

Look at 1:31 for the pit stop, it only took 8.5 seconds to change, never seen one so quick.

Regards

http://youtu.be/6NnGrIFY_3E

Look at 1:31 for the pit stop, it only took 8.5 seconds to change, never seen one so quick.

Regards
    Video doesnt work. They just had bit of luck, and had quick stop. No tricks, no gimmicks.

Rob, the video works, maybe I'm completely wrong but we took like 15 seconds with Vettel in Bahrain changing his nose cone. And in this race Ricciardo nose cone change took 11.5 seconds. Never saw before an 8.1 sec stop for a change of nose cone.

If someone can show me around 8-9 seconds nose changes please let me know. Seeing the pit stops, again, w06 took less time after putting new nose. Just a couple seconds less probably.

Thanks
    Last edited by Aberracus; 12th August 2015 at 14:54.

I have noticed that as well. It looks like some fast bolt mechanism is used. There are two mechanics with some cable conected from each side and then two fastening the bolts. But in Merc's case it needs just half revolution. In Red Bull's for example there are 4 mechanics who are properly screwing the nuts in.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

I thought I saw somewhere that they were some type of a cam-locking device that took like a ¼ or ½ turn to fully lock (or release), similar to dzus fasteners for body panels.
    Forza Ferrari !

Probably Aldo Costa's idea ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Probably Aldo Costa's idea ....
    he didn't come up with those types of ideas when when he was at Ferrari, noW did he?? it's almost like he wanted Ferrari to do bad on purpose

oh, well who needs him, we've got J. Allison on board with us; i'd take him over Costa any day of the week...

speaking of "week", there is only one week left (well less then) until we see some action on track...it's been a LONG wait for us fans

let's hope Ferrari can keep the momentum going, bring more updates and with the "new" starting regulation let's hope we can get ahead of Mercedes more often off the start and then keep them behind....i know it's a DREAM, but let's make it REALITY!!!
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.