Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jenson Button remains at mclaren.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Yeah i just read about it.
    So glad Button will stay!
    Yes good news.

Did you see that interview? Alonso pushed things so far during the race that Ron Dennis came to the point of announcing Button as their driver for next year. Thanks to Alonso and Lauda, and probably the virus Dennis managed to get caught up with. Well, this was also what Fernando wanted too, was it not... Interesting turn of events. Someone needs to tell Button that he'll be staying with McLaren next year and it's already announced.

McLaren confirm Button for 2016

McLaren has confirmed Jenson Button will remain at the team in 2016 to end months of uncertainty about his future.

There was speculation McLaren would not exercise the 2016 option on Button's contract, while the 2009 world champion's motivation to continue was also called into question in recent weeks. The news means Button's career will extend into a 17th season and means another part of the driver puzzle has fit into place for 2016.

There was speculation McLaren would not exercise the 2016 option on Button's contract, while the 2009 world champion's motivation to continue was also called into question in recent weeks. The news means Button's career will extend into a 17th season and should see him pass 300 grands prix starts -- a feat only matched by Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello.

In Singapore, McLaren CEO Ron Dennis said he intended to retain Button alongside Fernando Alonso for next season and confirmed the news on Thursday morning.

"Jenson and I have been discussing his plans in private for the past few weeks, and the fact that our talks have led to today's announcement is very pleasing to both of us and will delight and motivate all at McLaren-Honda," Dennis said. "As I have made clear whenever I have been asked about the subject, Jenson's current contract is of two years' duration [2015 and 2016]. There is a 'terminate after year one' option that McLaren could have triggered if we had wished to do so, but, once it became clear from my many conversations with Jenson that he remained as enthusiastic and as committed and as focused as ever, that option immediately became an irrelevance."

"That being the case, Jenson will race for McLaren-Honda next year, under the terms and conditions as set out in the two-year contract that both parties entered into a year ago."

The confirmation means McLaren junior drivers Kevin Magnussen, who drove for the team in 2014 and at this year's Australian Grand Prix, and GP2 series leader Stoffel Vandoorne, will need to be found seats at another team if they want to race in 2016.

I'm pleased for JB but Mclaren will forever be the enemy, whatever engine they have.

Sounds like he will be staying even after 2016.

Good for Button. He deserves better though.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Happy that he's still around next year. Shame he and Fred will still have that junkbox to drive, they deserve better.
    (Not better than Ferrari obviously ;))

Button hints at 2017 stay
    Date published: October 2 2015

Just a week ago it appeared that Jenson Button's F1 career may be coming to an end, but now the Brit has indicated he will look to stay on for 2017.

On Thursday, McLaren confirmed that Button would remain with the Woking-based team for the 2016 campaign, and speaking after the announcement, Button hinted that it is the new regulations which will come into play in 2017 that are a big motivating factor behind his decision to stay on.

While the FIA have not announced what changes will be made, they are believed to be aimed at making F1 cars "faster and more aggressive looking", and this is an thrilling prospect for Button.

"For me, the exciting year is 2017," Button told Auto Express.

"There's going to be so much more mechanical grip – from what I've seen it could be four or five seconds quicker a lap through mechanical grip and aerodynamics.

"That for me is exciting, that takes me back to 10 years ago. Also, I've just heard that next year they're going to be making the cars sound a bit better!

"F1 isn't in a bad place at the moment and it's going to get better. Next year will be better and in 2017 F1 is going to be mega – I think there's a lot of excitement out there."

McLaren-Honda have endured a disastrous 2015 campaign which has seen them well off the pace, and rarely competing for points. However, Button feels that the team are starting to make positive strides.

"I've spent a lot of time talking with the team and there's very good direction there, so I have a good feeling for the future," he said.
    http://planetf1.com/news/button-hints-at-2017-stay/

Love the things Button says about F1, it gives hope about the sport :D

As the only person to have been penalised against an incident with Pastor Maldonado, I look forward to future duels between the pair.

I'm looking forward to 2017 too, and I can understand why Button would love to still be racing at that time. Lots of interesting changes coming up. If it was me, I'd suffer another year too at McLaren's current state if it means getting a chance to try out 2017's car.

I just hope the plans they come up with will actually work and make the car 5 sec faster (if not more )

Good for Jenson and good for F1!

Disappointed Since 2010