Thread: Silverstone chief says F1 **** and not saleable"

Exclamation Silverstone chief says F1 **** and not saleable"

SILVERSTONE CHIEF SAYS F1 '' AND 'NOT SALEABLE'

Thursday 8 Oktober at 09:35 : Oct.8 (GMM) Silverstone chief Patrick Allen has launched an unprecedented attack on formula one, describing it as a "**** product".

It is an echo of an earlier story in 2015, when Bernie Ecclestone reportedly told a French media outlet that F1 is a "crap product".

The F1 supremo, however, denied saying it, insisting he was referring only to the controversial hybrid engines.

But Patrick Allen, in charge of the historic British grand prix venue Silverstone, has been quoted by The Independent newspaper as openly slamming modern F1.

"Months and months back I said it to Mr E himself that I can't sell tickets for a **** product," he told the F1 business journalist Christian Sylt.

His comments follow earlier reports that Silverstone could drop off the calendar as early as next year if the circuit is unable to guarantee the race fee to Ecclestone.

Now, Allen said the biggest problem is that drivers are 'lifting and coasting' and being told what to do by faceless engineers rather than living up to their billing as "gladiators".

"I think it is criminal when we have got to that state of racing and that is not saleable," he insisted.

"How long is it before the technical director is stood on the top step, not the driver? You've just got to throw the towel in then and look for something else."
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

i have to agree.. i have no desire to turn the tv on anymore. Maybe its the merc dominance maybe its the fact that f1 is too complicated and its not about racing or pit strategy but about conserving and coasting.
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    i have to agree.. i have no desire to turn the tv on anymore. Maybe its the merc dominance maybe its the fact that f1 is too complicated and its not about racing or pit strategy but about conserving and coasting.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    Well said.
    The driver doesn't have the main role anymore. That's the problem.
    For example Jenson was mad at his engineers because they didn't told him on what engine mode he should drive that fly lap in Q3. Today driver's all depend on the engineers at the pitwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    SILVERSTONE CHIEF SAYS F1 '' AND 'NOT SALEABLE'

Thursday 8 Oktober at 09:35 : Oct.8 (GMM) Silverstone chief Patrick Allen has launched an unprecedented attack on formula one, describing it as a "**** product".

It is an echo of an earlier story in 2015, when Bernie Ecclestone reportedly told a French media outlet that F1 is a "crap product".

The F1 supremo, however, denied saying it, insisting he was referring only to the controversial hybrid engines.

But Patrick Allen, in charge of the historic British grand prix venue Silverstone, has been quoted by The Independent newspaper as openly slamming modern F1.

"Months and months back I said it to Mr E himself that I can't sell tickets for a **** product," he told the F1 business journalist Christian Sylt.

His comments follow earlier reports that Silverstone could drop off the calendar as early as next year if the circuit is unable to guarantee the race fee to Ecclestone.

Now, Allen said the biggest problem is that drivers are 'lifting and coasting' and being told what to do by faceless engineers rather than living up to their billing as "gladiators".

"I think it is criminal when we have got to that state of racing and that is not saleable," he insisted.

"How long is it before the technical director is stood on the top step, not the driver? You've just got to throw the towel in then and look for something else."
    Maybe we should get rid of F1 in Silverstone for a year and put it at Imola. Wonder how Silverstone's sales will look at the end of that year
    Vous resterez toujours en nos coeurs, Jules.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerKing View Post
    Maybe we should get rid of F1 in Silverstone for a year and put it at Imola. Wonder how Silverstone's sales will look at the end of that year
    We? Since when we have an influence on what FOM does?
    I doubt Imola even have the money to host a GP race. Its very expensive today. That's why only Sheikhs are interested in hosting an F1 race nowadays. Silverstone boss is right.

Can't help but agree with this statement and it's about time Bernie and the FIA took the threat seriously by talking to any prospective buyers of his and CVC shares about what is necessary to turn F1 back into real motor-racing.

Is he talking about this now because:
    1. He wants a better deal from Ecclestone,
    OR
    2. Ecclestone wants him to talk?

If he stopped increasing prices then maybe he would sell more tickets......
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    If he stopped increasing prices then maybe he would sell more tickets......
    He increases prices because its to expensive to host an F1 race nowadays. FOM wants to much money. The biggest problem lies at FOM not at Silverstone organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    He increases prices because its to expensive to host an F1 race nowadays. FOM wants to much money. The biggest problem lies at FOM not at Silverstone organisation.
    How much did it increase to host the race from 2014 to 2015?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    How much did it increase to host the race from 2014 to 2015?
    I'm not saying that the Silverstone boss is totally in the right for increasing prices. But still, FOM wants a lot, so in order for the Silverstone organisation to turn the expected profit they must increase prices. Maybe 2014 they decided to sacrifice profit, but this year they need that profit in order to reach their goals. Its simple as that.
    Why did Germany didn't host a GP race this year? Because they have better things to do then giving FOM enormous amount of money. For next year they reached some kind of better deal because Germany is one of the biggest markets. So is the UK, and most probably they will reach a cheaper deal in the future.
    Europe is not like the Arab countries. Priorities for those Sheikhs in the Arab countries is making stupid PR with sport events so they can hide all those injustice they are doing towards humanity on their soil.

I think Mr Allen is trying to get the jump on Bernie in the negotiation. Do some trash talking before Bernie got a chance to fire the first salvo.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

Mr Allen, has to set ticket prices, high to try and gain back some profit. The problem is, Silverstone sold land around the track, which it was renting out. Now they have lost that rent coming in, plus they still got bills to pay for the horrible wing paddock. It hasnt been run financially viable. Their biggest problem was selling all that land.

As long as the BRDC owns Silverstone, there will be no goverment funding, as it a"private club" if you will. If the BRDC sold the track to the goverment, then they would fund the race, or sell half of it and the goverment may fund half aswell.

Either way, if this backfires, i could see Mr E dropping Silverstone.

This sounds funny a bit. Because they sold all the tickets in Silverstone. It was a full house. Everyone was praising Hamilton for his domination at the time and how it had a positive affect on sales.

I don't think F1 is at the point where it cannot sell tickets. I don't recall seeing any empty grand stand yet this year. And there are more changes planned for the near future to help improve racing.

If Patrick Allen thinks it's just the engineers winning races, maybe he should try racing in a F1 car first.

they are in arrears with Bernie, do not know how much or how long been going on for. They may have had a sell out, but none of that money goes to Silverstone. Goes straight to FOM.